1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder (Support Group)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Actually, if you go on the audio/vis/NAV threads here on NAM, you'll see which ones work with the blue tooth and which don't. Supposedly the BlackBerry does, and even transfers the phone book, which most don't. I figure I have a little mobile blue tooth, so...I needed to spend that money in other places on my Mini!
I guess it does seem too much to ask that with a $1500 option, a bluetooth phone would work like it was intended. If I'm gonna buy a new phone, I want it all to work. Yes, even the phone book.

I just hope this is not indicative of what is to come. In my car buying lifetime, I have already been down that loverly English lane with a new Triumph TR7 (aluminum heads???) and an new 86 Jag convertible (still don't want to talk about it). If Albert Brooks was right, I'm gonna have a lot to justify at my trial after I die.

BTW, I still say my Jag was the most beautiful car on the side of the road.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
I guess it does seem too much to ask that with a $1500 option, a bluetooth phone would work like it was intended. If I'm gonna buy a new phone, I want it all to work. Yes, even the phone book.

I just hope this is not indicative of what is to come. In my car buying lifetime, I have already been down that loverly English lane with a new Triumph TR7 (aluminum heads???) and an new 86 Jag convertible (still don't want to talk about it). If Albert Brooks was right, I'm gonna have a lot to justify at my trial after I die.

BTW, I still say my Jag was the most beautiful car on the side of the road.
LOL - Former TR7 owner here. It was a joy to drive, and every part seemed to cost 200 West German Marks - a new clutch DM200, a turn signal bulb DM200.

I hope the issues with the MINI are different. With the TR7 it was that it seemed that wherever there was a choice on how to design a function, the most complicated over engineered solution was embraced.

Still waiting for delivery, so this is hope not testimony, but the MotoRizr (Z6 series) is reported to work.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So to continue with the OCMD skein of thought....

How many MINI T-shirts do you own? Or better yet - how many items of MINI or MINI like apparel do you own? (Hats, shirts, socks, underwear....)

Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
Whether or not my phone will work is the one thing I most obsess about. It sounds like my current Samsung definitely will not. I am reaching my "new every two" with Verizon and will gladly replace my phone, but reading the various threads about matching phone to the built-in Bluetooth, having the right software or firmware or whatever it is has me spinning. I figure I can deal with it once I have my car. I hope by then some more definitive data are available about what phone to get.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
OR, you could just send ME that extra mooolah you'd spend on integrated blue tooth, and just buy a little "electronic cockroach" (as my dad calls them) for your ear!! I need more MINI t-shirts and motoring badges....

Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
With every wash I take the wheels off, scrub them, scrub the wheel wells, axles, suspension, and everything else underneath the car. I do that at least once every two weeks, and do a small little rinse off at least once a week? Do I have a problem? I just want it to run forever

Nick

Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Um...you DO know that you can take cleanliness TOO far, right? I mean, some of the gunk is actually helping maintain the vehicle.... But wow...You've got me beat, and I thought I was a neat freak.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Calaway16
3rd Gear
lol. I regrease what needs to be regreased while i'm under there.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
minipsych
2nd Gear
Goodness, DSM-V diagnostic criteria for a new disorder, Obsessive compulsive Mini Cooper disorder, has just been written! I agree that we all meet criteria for ocmd! Specifiers would include pre or post delivery, with or without excessive cleaning of mini-cooper, or with nautical calculusitis.

I'll have to do some research, but I'm not sure if a treatment exists for this disorder because even those who are post delivery still have symptoms but are mainly limited to the categories of waving, spotting, cleaning, waxing, claying, washing, accessorizing, etc.

Hi, I'm Cori and I have ocmd. (Hi Cori).

ocmd, pre delivery with anticipation of excessive cleaning post delivery.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:34 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
Hi Cori

Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
How many MINI T-shirts do you own? Or better yet - how many items of MINI or MINI like apparel do you own? (Hats, shirts, socks, underwear....)
Those are on order just like the car. I'll have the t-shirts first.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minipsych
Hi, I'm Cori and I have ocmd. (Hi Cori).

ocmd, pre delivery with anticipation of excessive cleaning post delivery.

Hi, Con.

This is a great thread.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Yesterday evening, the husband and I took his BMW to drop off at the dealership...So, while I was waiting for him, of COURSEI stepped over to the Mini side to check things out! (and yes, I was driving mine.) The dealer came out immediately (as expected) but TRIED TO BUY IT FROM ME!?!?!? Not exactly the sales pitch I was expecting! So instead, he got into a very in-depth discussion of Mini-ness and trends I don't think HE expected. And a HELL-NO to the sell back. Evidently, this particular dealership has been calling back all it's old customers to see if they want to sell their old Minis back, or to do a trade in to buy a new one; theyre getting desperate for used Minis!

And my new motoring badges came in!!! I had to put some of them in my cubicle at work -- not enough room on the Mini or the fridge anymore. The Mini-ness is spreading....

Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
How many MINI T-shirts do you own? Or better yet - how many items of MINI or MINI like apparel do you own? -- x uh oh x

Four T-shirts, black, 2 with big MINI logo, 1 with red trim and smaller logo, the other from Motor-Tober '07 with decal on back;
Motor-Tober '07 baseball cap, decal on front;
long-sleeved gray shirt with logo on breast pocket;
MINI Cooper cuff links.

non-MINI but does match my colour scheme:
red windbreaker;
red shirt with white tie combo;
red T-shirt;
off-white sports jacket;

And of course the MINI umbrella (with gears from R to N to 6th on the inside panels) for, as was once said in the presence of Steed on The Avengers, "a gentleman is naked without his umbrella."

Wear On, Motor On,

CROC 411

Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
*GASP!* He's an Avenger fan, too! (the original, though, right...????)

To answer my own question(s):
Seven t-shirts - one black w/Mini logo; one black w/ off-set bonnet stripes; one w/ "it's not cute, it's MEAN"; one w/ "Rule the bends and bend the rules"; one longsleve white w/ flames & logo; one black long sleeve w/ MINI down the sleeve; and one "I have one and you don't"
One sweatshirt - bright gold w/ front "distance between two points is boring" w/ straight line graphic; back says "bend the rules, rule the bends"

one MINI hat - black w/ red & silver trim and logo

No underwear or other odd paraphernalia yet...although I'm still looking....

Last edited by x uh oh x; 06-12-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
*GASP!* He's an Avenger fan, too! (the original, though, right...????)
-- x uh oh x

But of course. John Steed, Emma Peel. Shooting the cork off the bottle of champaigne. And that opening on the chessboard: "Extraordinary crimes against the people and the state have to be avenged by agents extraordinary. Two such people are John Steed, top professional, and his partner Emma Peel, talented amateur - otherwise known as The Avengers."

I sometimes motor to The Avengers theme, found it on a CD of British TV shows. I play only the one track.

My compliments on your sartorial splendor.

CROC 411

Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I prefer the '64-'66 versions (black and white, and just prior to the shooting the cork off opening) because...well...not sure why. But did you know that Honor Blackman was Steed's original partner?? She left to do the James Bond movie (she was ***** Galore in GoldFinger -- no sexual innuendo there...)

I'm getting the impression from my posts in many threads re: my diversions, I have an addicting personality. Hm...I wonder if I should be worried?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Greetings x uh oh x,

I prefer the B&W Avengers too, what with the chessboard opening. Though the cork shooting always struck me as cool because of Emma Peel's silver revolver. Still, the show shot in B&W gives it a classic look and reminds me of Casablanca, film noir, early Hitchcock, Grand Hotel, the Thin Man, etc.

A friend of mine here at Reuters lent me two season's worth of the Honor Blackman episodes. Have watched some of the shows and Steed is a much darker and ruthless character than the debonair and suave spy of the ones with Diana Rigg.

On the addiction front, I highly recommend the 12-Step Program. I took it and it worked. I'm down to 12 addictions.

CROC 411

Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
*GASP (again)!* ALSO a classic film fan! You're the BOMB Red Dragoon, I don't care what JOLYRGR says about you!

Red Dragoon On the addiction front, I highly recommend the 12-Step Program. I took it and it worked. I'm down to 12 addictions.

So funny! Mee tooooo! See, an addictive personality is why i can't be a REAL gear-head...I have too many addictions distracting me at once. I think my husband is just grateful my Mini addiction makes it easy to buy presents for me!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Greetings x uh oh x

I am less than brilliant on the mechanical front, and will leave it at that.

My wife and kids say the same, that I'm very easy to buy for; they just go to MotoringGear.com. And I always know when they're going to get me something because they tell me not to buy anything there until birthday or Father's Day or Christmas. Of course, the pattern has formed by now, and I know this, but tis funny to hear them say it.

About Jolyrogr, perhaps you should takes his statements about me as general guidelines as to what reality might possibly be like in an alternate universe and not necessarily what's what in our MINIverse. Piratical perceptions be way to leeward, methinks.

Tanks tons for calling me the BOMB but, I fear, Homeland Security has been informed.
CROC 411

Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 AM
revray
4th Gear
Forgive me ... but I do need to ask a rather pertinent question. This support group is fully intended to keep me forever dependent on my MINI for emotional wellness, right? I mean ... we're not trying to get over our addiction here, are we?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:52 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by revray
Forgive me ... but I do need to ask a rather pertinent question. This support group is fully intended to keep me forever dependent on my MINI for emotional wellness, right? I mean ... we're not trying to get over our addiction here, are we?
Yes we are all co-enablers.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
My dear revray,

MINI is not an addiction. It is a way of Life, of becoming one with the MINIverse. Tis beyond obsession, beyond reality, beyond reason.

Now, some addictions can supplement one's MINIness. Such as coffee, the brewing and drinking thereof; afternoon tea; reading "God Is An Englishman" and the complete works of our Kipling, to name a few. I chose some other routes on the road to MINIfection.

For as was once said, and I paraphrase, "Tis but a small step from the obsession to the sublime." And as motorers we take that step SPEEDILY and with aplomb.

CROC 411

Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
Talk about OCMC disorder. I learned this morning that my car is built and waiting at the dock in Southampton. With the VIN and the link to the shipping line available at the sticky on First Gear for tracking the Mini I can load info into the shipping website and see which cars are still on the dock and which are on the ship. As I reload the data into the shipping line cargo tracker I see more and more cars going from "Recieved at Terminal" status to "Loaded on Vessel." Zeus is still at the terminal. I need, need I tell you, to see it "Loaded."

Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Joep
6th Gear
This is truly a classic thread. I haven't stopped laughing or smiling, or say "yep that's me!"

I must admit that when I read the title of this thread my initial reaction was "wow, this thread should bog down the server" I figured hundreds, if not, thousands of reponses each day. I don't know of a single MINI owner or an owner-in-waiting who doesn't have OCMD. Utterly ridiculous to think that you don't have it.

Saying that I now need to re-read this thread. It's hilarious.

Quick Reply: Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder (Support Group)