1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder (Support Group)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM
revray
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Joep;2295567]This is truly a classic thread. I haven't stopped laughing or smiling, or say "yep that's me!"

I must admit that when I read the title of this thread my initial reaction was "wow, this thread should bog down the server" I figured hundreds, if not, thousands of reponses each day. I don't know of a single MINI owner or an owner-in-waiting who doesn't have OCMD. Utterly ridiculous to think that you don't have it.quote]

The reason why there are not hundreds or even thousands of responses every day to this thread is well understood within the "helping professions" and it's called DENIAL. Most people out there in NAM-land read the title of this thread and assume that it isn't for them. And until they come to the place where they realize that they have a problem, they will not be able to move from where they're at to that place of wholeness that we all strive for. A few, like RED DRAGOON, have found serenity, but most of the rest of us are still somewhere along the way.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revray
The reason why there are not hundreds or even thousands of responses every day to this thread is well understood within the "helping professions" and it's called DENIAL. Most people out there in NAM-land read the title of this thread and assume that it isn't for them. And until they come to the place where they realize that they have a problem, they will not be able to move from where they're at to that place of wholeness that we all strive for. A few, like RED DRAGOON, have found serenity, but most of the rest of us are still somewhere along the way.
Yeah, that's what my therapist says!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
I am not in denial.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
p912043
2nd Gear
For sure I got this too. I can say yes to most of them, the rest is only I got my MINI so a few questions do not apply to me. But just so funny all the time I think about what upgrades I can do, which car wash clean better, do I need to buy an outdoor car cover?! I am laughing myself too. I believed this is not because of getting a new car, every car I own before were new but I never been this intense for doing something to my car. I don't even wash all my previous car, at most may be once or twice a year from car wash. But this baby I wash it every weekend, no matter sunny or rain. Worst case I might just park it in the garage afterward & drive other car out when rain. My library desk full of MINIs catalogs or booklets from all the dealers. Wallpaper for sure is MINIs, sometimes my own one haha. I always yell at the cars parked beside mine why you guys park so close, I don't know you!!!

Sometimes I think.... May be my life is so hollow, need something to keep me excited or interested. I started scare... Who can help..

Old 06-12-2008, 01:46 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's just our problem (of course, it's not a problem at all)...I think MINIs do something to us as drivers. I mean, I've taken ownership of two MINIs and yes, the car was all shiney and pretty in the showroom and that's all very nice, but there's something about how the car interacts with you as you drive it over time that really drills in. Yes, it gives feedback, but I'd describe it more as a motoring dialogue with the driver. I think this quality is what gets us so into our MINIs and keeps us there year after year. In light of this, we simply treat our MINIs special because.....well, they are!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
"Mints" and I...we HUMMMMM together down the road.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
In denial of what?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
( Was that tongue-in-cheek? )

I don't think I can avoid it any longer. I can't deny it any more...I'm hooked, and I CAN'T stop. Not that I WANT to, of course...but I bet I couldn't, even if I tried!

What's worse is that my mania is growing to other cars (again.) I've spotted a really spiffy '69 Karmen Ghia for sale around here...(insert drool....) Sigh...but no garage for my MCS as it is....sigh.... maybe AFTER I win the lottery....Aw, who am I kidding!? I'm already planning to buy an MCS in every color after winning that lottery!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:46 AM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by otterdad
In denial of what?
A very interesting question indeed.

Is OtterDad actually clueless as to what this thread is all about, which would mean that his question is a simple straightforward one where he is seeking the necessary information to enable him to engage in the conversation.

Or ... is he so far into DENIAL that he is not even able to discern that which he is actually into denial of? In other words, is he into DENIAL with regards to even being into DENIAL?

Or ... is he toying with us all? Which my instinct tells me is probably the case. Though one could concievably think that one was posing an innocent "tongue in cheek" question, and all the while actually be in an extreme state of DENIAL. Such is the insidious nature of the disease!

Old 06-13-2008, 06:52 AM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
So which OCMD members have been to the Oxford plant? Hmm???

Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Now THAT is a good OCMD question.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 AM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Now THAT is a good OCMD question.
I just wish I'd thought of it earlier. Since my MINI is in production right now, it would've been awesome to be able to see it going down the line

Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Sounds like a good reason to plan a European vacation!! --PAY ATTENTION OCMD types!!

And you may not be able to see YOURS come down the line, but think of the englightening experience!!

A buddy of ours bought a Porche Caiman from Stuttgardt while we were in Europe, and we helped him go pick it up. Part of the deal was a tour of the factory. WOW. Some of the crazy stuff they go through to make the Porches now make me better understand why they're so pricey.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 AM
revray
4th Gear
I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I lived in the London area from 2003 to 2006, and I never even thought about visiting the Oxford plant ... and I was in Oxford loads of times. But back then I only dreamed about somday owning a MINI, and even then not very much since I never imagined being able to really afford one. If I had only known then what I know now!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 AM
wbarnhill
OCMD Tests:

Locate MINIs awaiting shipment in Google Maps (Difficulty: Intermediate)
Locate a shipment in transit on the Atlantic (Difficulty: Expert)

Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM
revray
4th Gear
Do I have IT bad if I'm actually interested in learning how to track a ship on the high seas when I don't even have a MINI on order? Or need I ask?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wbarnhill
So which OCMD members have been to the Oxford plant? Hmm???
I have!

It's a good time, and I recommend it to to any OCMD sufferers. Anytime you are in London, take the quick train ride over to Oxford and GO! You literally stand right on the assembly line, sparks flying all over you and all.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 AM
warev
2nd Gear
I am thinking about starting a new thread about non-mini spouses, my wife simply does not get the obsession with waiting and wanting a MINI. She thinks I am far to involved in my OCMD! She hates when I constantly talk about my MINI, my constant time on the configurator, we might also need a thread for wifes abandoned by MINI.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I am thinking about starting a new thread about non-mini spouses -- warev

But if you weave this thread, will they come?

CROC 411

Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM
otterdad
3rd Gear
I've learned that I need to limit my mention of the Mini when in my wife's presence, though I will sometimes talk about the car to my 11 year old son when she's around. That way I can feel like my life partner is at least marginally involved in my passion. I know she appreciates my enthusiasm, she just doesn't want to hear about it all the time. Hence, I displace all my Mini energy into "hanging around" the NAM website.

On another note, my car will hit U.S. waters on July 3. My "enthusiasm" manifested with a call to the MA with a vain attempt to schedule a time to pick up the car at the dealership. I knew he wouldn't be able do that, but I felt I needed to try position myself to get my hands on Zeus before a weekend road trip on July 12.

Is my OCMD getting worse, or is it "progress" that I am willing to admit to my behavior?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:54 AM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
My wife gets a little upset about my time hanging out on the forums. She just doesn't get it.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by warev
I am thinking about starting a new thread about non-mini spouses, my wife simply does not get the obsession with waiting and wanting a MINI. She thinks I am far to involved in my OCMD! She hates when I constantly talk about my MINI, my constant time on the configurator, we might also need a thread for wifes abandoned by MINI.

Try SPOUSES abandoned for MINI. My husband feels the same way. I'd contribute to that thread!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Sounds like a good reason to plan a European vacation ... you may not be able to see YOURS come down the line, but think of the englightening experience!!
For the entreprenurial types out there, here is a business just waiting to be started. Someone could organize group travel tours for owners-in-waiting from all over the country to travel together to England for a tour of the Oxford plant. As an aside it could include a trip to Brands Hatch or one of the other tracks where MINI's race on a regular basis.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 PM
jamz9987
3rd Gear
I'm camping this weekend, so you guys will have to obsess in my absence. I expect at least two more pages by the time I return on Sunday.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Here's my contribution to the two pages!

And wow...that would be a great way to continue OCMD while making money! Too bad my current job won't let me go to do it....nuts.....

Quick Reply: Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder (Support Group)