1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marine Traffic website and app are awesome by the way. Bought the satellite tracking option for one ship. Its showing course, speed and wind information. I've been able to see that the ship went through the same front that recently swept the east coast. Winds kicked up to 32 knots, almost gale, but now they're calming down. The app can show cool graphics show winds around the Atlantic, and temperatures, clearly showing the cold front.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, we traveled by air...so the car sits and waits for me to return and get a chance to play with it.

As for jury being out - I have reservations - grave ones - about this dealership. it used to be the BMW dealer, where I bought a 328xi years ago - and the service was horrible there. I loved the car, until I was forced out of love with it by the repair shop, the problems, and the attitude of those in the dealership. We went to Lexus, and have been in LOVE with them and their service for 3 cars now...so going back to this dealership, even if it is ALL mini now, is a risk.

And of course, we sold a Lexus for this car, one that we never had even a minor problem with in all 3 years. So I hope this is the same. We'll see.

The melting silver color is not what it looked like on the sample chip - so I'm really glad I'm wrapping the car because I am not in love with the overall color. But my options were limited with the wrapping I'm going to do, so in the end it will most likely be a mute point.

I love the idea of owning this car, hope the reality fits the notion....

Originally Posted by dm33
Awesome! Looks great! I guess you're traveling by air, otherwise would be a great excuse to drive the new car. Glad they were able to get you the car just in time before you left.

What do you mean the jury is still out? Debating if it was worth ordering or having second thoughts on the car?

We sometimes hedge on the Mini. I have two kids, pre-teen, boys. I don't want the car to be a commuter car just for me. It has to be able to comfortably seat the four of us. We went looking at Golfs again. Then went back and sat in a JCW 4 door Mini surprisingly similar to what we've ordered. I was surprised at how much less room there is inside vs. the Golf. First reaction was its way too small. But as we kept sitting in it debating, it kept growing on us, again. Its big enough for us all to squeeze into yet it is a lot smaller. But it does have loads of personality. I just hope the kids don't suddenly decide its too small and refuse to ride in the back seat at some point. They're both boys, so if you stick them too close together, some form of fighting or arguing always ensues. I'd love to be able to do road trips. My wife and I have toyed with the idea of all of us doing parts of Mini Takes The States. But that might get us seriously tired of being stuck in a tiny car.

Our ordered car is most of the way to Baltimore, then on to Brunswick. We still have about two weeks until the car arrives here. Thats when we really have to decide.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
So we are finally getting a chance to drive the new Clubman a bit since we went on vacation right after picking it up. Figuring out how to set profiles is a bit confusing for us, but I'm probably just feeble....

I like it. I think I like it a lot. I miss a few things the Lexus had - the front bumper sensors were nice, but the Clubman only has rear sensors...nothing that will make a huge difference, though. Car is small enough I can actually see all around it!

Took some time to get the garage door opener set up - word to the wise, don't lose your original clickers...we've had the ones integrated into the cars for so long I actually had to go buy a clicker to program to use to program the new car...

The melting silver color is actually not a big win for me - it's a lot less silver and lot more...melting I guess...bronze looking a bit. We're wrapping this with advertising, so it won't be a big deal. I'll actually like the wrap more now I think since I don't really like the car color.

I really like the black leather MINI YOURS seats. Expensive for leather seats, but truly beautiful and very comfortable.

Overall, a good weekend and a car I think we'll enjoy for a while. First trip out and we parked near another mini - the owner came out as we were walking away from ours and asked us if it was new- chatted for a while and it was a nice exchange. Mini owners are friendly! I never had another Lexus person stop me and ask about my car, LOL...so this is great.

Not even 200 miles on it yet, so I have a ways to go still...

Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Talk about odd timing.

We tracked the Columbia Highway like a hawk, following its every move until it eventually made its way, several days late, to Brunswick GA with the car we ordered. Car arrived last Saturday afternoon.

I then dug around the internet as best I could and could find no reference to the Charleston VDC mentioned at the beginning of this thread. What I did find is 4 VDCs in the US, the newest in Baltimore, New Jersey, Brunswick and in California. As far as I can tell they're all at the port of entry which speeds things up.

I was figuring a couple of days to get through the VDC, then maybe 4 days to get up here with the car. The MA messaged me and told me that the car did indeed arrive last Saturday and it was scheduled to arrive at the dealership this coming Saturday. They're closed on Sunday so that meant some time early next week to be able to pick it up.

Much to my surprise, today, Tuesday, I get a message saying the car showed up today at the dealership. The MA is on vacation tomorrow and they'd like time to go over the car, but that means Thursday. I went by to see it and it does look like the car we ordered. I forgot to put all season tires in the options list so it came with Michelin "performance" aka summer tires. I like Michelin tires.

Now we suddenly have to decide if a 4dr hardtop Mini is too small for shuttling teenagers and occasional use as a family car.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:26 PM
jax_myers
2nd Gear
I just ordered my 4 door hardtop Cooper S! A worthy upgrade from my 2006 hardtop which has served me well but is just starting to feel old.

I asked my service advisor (actually the service manager) if it was possible to get the VIN as soon as possible so I could track the car but he said Mini stopped the ability to track the status of your car on order. I assume he means officially?

When in the process did you guys get your VIN? I love following this stuff as I wait for my car to be delivered. Has it really been taking 8 weeks to get a car in North America?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:22 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jax_myers
I just ordered my 4 door hardtop Cooper S! A worthy upgrade from my 2006 hardtop which has served me well but is just starting to feel old.

I asked my service advisor (actually the service manager) if it was possible to get the VIN as soon as possible so I could track the car but he said Mini stopped the ability to track the status of your car on order. I assume he means officially?

When in the process did you guys get your VIN? I love following this stuff as I wait for my car to be delivered. Has it really been taking 8 weeks to get a car in North America?
I seriously doubt that Mini would suddenly stop allowing folks to track the status of orders. More than likely they don't want to track it for you or don't know how.

The production number is what you need as soon as the order is placed. From that you can call 800-ASK-MINI to track the order. When its about to go into production they've come up with the VIN for it and can use that to track it for the rest of the process.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That would be sad! I ordered a 2016 Clubman on 4-16, and have asked for the production number as well, to track it. Haven't heard form the MA yet about that. I wonder why all the ALL4s are produced as 2017s, but the FWD ones are still 2016 on the same production lines??

Old 05-03-2016, 03:40 PM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Calling 800-ASK-MINI was a treat while I was waiting! They were really nice and tried to be very helpful.

The waiting is hard, but the payoff is worth it. Congrats on your new builds!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:07 AM
jax_myers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dm33
I seriously doubt that Mini would suddenly stop allowing folks to track the status of orders. More than likely they don't want to track it for you or don't know how.

The production number is what you need as soon as the order is placed. From that you can call 800-ASK-MINI to track the order. When its about to go into production they've come up with the VIN for it and can use that to track it for the rest of the process.
I see. Thanks. I'll try to find the production number as soon as I can.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM
scottfs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pschuchman
Calling 800-ASK-MINI was a treat while I was waiting! They were really nice and tried to be very helpful.

The waiting is hard, but the payoff is worth it. Congrats on your new builds!
It's actually 1-866-ASK-MINI.

The 800 number above is for some survey which after taking tells you won a vacation which I'm sure if legit.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
It's automated, and they said my car is scheduled for production. No further information is available. Oh well.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Scubagal
1st Gear
My Dealer said "no website tracking" too

Which is clearly inaccurate because you CAN track the progress of your MINI through MINIUSA, though it seems to take awhile for them to update the site. Once I figured out how to register at the MINIUSA Owner's Lounge, I was able to get my VIN # right away (you'll need your production number, however, to register on the site). After combing through the internet over the last week, I was able to figure out how to stalk my car from afar and track when it got on a transport in Southampton. (If you know your VIN # try going to 2wglobal.com and select "track and trace" under Shipping Tools. Plug your VIN into the Cargo ID field.) MINIUSA says my car is still "awaiting transport", but I know it left Southampton two days ago. The wait is excruciating...

Old 05-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Scubagal
1st Gear
Ordered mine on 4/3/16; on a boat 5/4/16. Not scheduled to get to CA until 5/26 and I'm guessing at least another week to make it to Seattle. Looking pretty close to the 10 weeks the dealer told me.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 AM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Well, mine started production today, with estimated finish date of 5/16. Got the Vin as well, all from talking with the customer rep on 866-ASKMINI. So 3 week from order to actual start. Luckily, being in Richmond, car comes in to Baltimore. So dealer estimate of 6-8 weeks is still valid.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Scubagal
1st Gear
Good luck on your wait! Hope it'll be short. Cargo vessel arrival in CA moved back to 5/27 (instead of 5/26). Waiting. So. Tired. Of. Waiting.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 AM
jax_myers
2nd Gear
So I finally got my production number yesterday. I think my order was officially entered on Monday as that's when I got a call confirming the drop ship location (I am ordering from a dealer I know back home and having it delivered here in Texas).

Only problem is, I can't get into the owner lounge with my production number. It says I am too soon. Any idea how long it takes to get a production number into the system?

Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM
NullUnit60
1st Gear
I ordered my Mini on 2 April. It entered production on 20 April, was actually produced on the 25th and sent to Southampton on the 26th. Loaded on to a ship on the 30th which sailed on the 1st. Said ship is, as I write this, passing Wilmington, NC on the way to Brunswick, GA. My wait is nearly over. Like waiting for paint to dry.

So I finally got my production number yesterday. I think my order was officially entered on Monday as that's when I got a call confirming the drop ship location (I am ordering from a dealer I know back home and having it delivered here in Texas).

Only problem is, I can't get into the owner lounge with my production number. It says I am too soon. Any idea how long it takes to get a production number into the system?
For me, on the third day (forth?) the website knew my production number. The website is way behind the times. The folks you talk to at 866-ASK-MINI have much more current information.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 PM
jax_myers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NullUnit60
I ordered my Mini on 2 April. It entered production on 20 April, was actually produced on the 25th and sent to Southampton on the 26th. Loaded on to a ship on the 30th which sailed on the 1st. Said ship is, as I write this, passing Wilmington, NC on the way to Brunswick, GA. My wait is nearly over. Like waiting for paint to dry.

For me, on the third day (forth?) the website knew my production number. The website is way behind the times. The folks you talk to at 866-ASK-MINI have much more current information.
Thanks! I will definitely be calling Mini but I don't want to bug those poor guys every day, so it sure would be nice to see something online. I checked 3 times today. Maybe it will show up in the next day or so.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:17 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It took mine about a week from getting the production number until I was able to create an account in the owners lounge... Just try each day to register and eventually you'll get the keys to the lounge.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Scubagal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bgdrewsif
It took mine about a week from getting the production number until I was able to create an account in the owners lounge... Just try each day to register and eventually you'll get the keys to the lounge.
It took me a couple days to figure out how to get registered. I kept thinking I needed to answer "yes" to the question about having financing through MINI (which I WILL when I finally get the car). When I finally answered "no" I was able to move beyond and get signed up. Of course, it was about six days after I'd placed my order, so it could be my info was finally there regardless.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:36 AM
NullUnit60
1st Gear
Thanks! I will definitely be calling Mini but I don't want to bug those poor guys every day, so it sure would be nice to see something online. I checked 3 times today. Maybe it will show up in the next day or so.
I used to call everyday and sometimes twice. Never got the same person to talk to more than once. Call by the hour if you want.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:31 AM
Scubagal
1st Gear
Two more weeks to CA?

"My" cargo vessel (Torino) is in Baltimore today. Two more weeks and it should be in CA. Two more weeks and a day and I start calling "1-866-MINI" every day...

Old 05-13-2016, 04:58 PM
NullUnit60
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scubagal
"My" cargo vessel (Torino) is in Baltimore today. Two more weeks and it should be in CA. Two more weeks and a day and I start calling "1-866-MINI" every day...
It might be better to call the dealer.

However, I tried that today and he is off today and that other guy never called back.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:13 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 'Nigel' was produced today and is now in quality inspection according to the ASK MINI rep I spoke to on the phone... will have to remember to celebrate May 17th as Nigel's birthday every year!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
Mine will be in QI tomorrow according to the same ASK MINI rep. Lets hope we both make a ship that leaves by Monday at least!

Quick Reply: How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated