1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing "SuperGreg", another Pepper :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008 | 05:33 AM
SuperGreg
|
6th Gear
Introducing "SuperGreg", another Pepper :)

Hello everyone,
I just ordered my MCSm in Pepper White yesterday from Scottsdale Mini. A little background on me: I currently own a 2002 BMW X5, and I'm an Admin on X5world.com. I spent hours on this site over the last few days researching the option "must haves", and it was EXTREMELY useful as I configured my new car. For example, I would not have ordered the rear fogs until I read your posts. After seeing that empty toggle slot on a car at the dealer yesterday, it was clearly a must have .

Here is a list of the options I ordered: (I plan on having double black stripes installed after she arrives)

PAINT IT
Pepper White Body Color $0
Body Color Roof/Mirrors $0
White Turn Signals $100

PACKAGES
Cold Weather Package $500

PERFORMANCE
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash $500
Rear Fog Lamp $100
Limited Slip Differential $500
6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
17" Crown-Spoke (Perf. Run Flats) $750

COCKPIT
Automatic AC $500
Anthracite Headliner $250
Cloth: Checkered Carbon Black/Black $0
Dark Grey Color Line $250
Leather Sport Wheel w/Multifunction $250
Interior Surface Fluid Silver $250

Attached Thumbnails Introducing "SuperGreg", another Pepper :)-my_mini.jpg  
Old 07-05-2008 | 06:25 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like a sweet config !

If I may, can I talk you out of the crown spoke wheels ? They are my only regrettable option on our MINIs. They are a ***** to clean and the MINIs give off tons of break dust. If your heart is set on them, do yourself a favor and change to come low-dust pads ASAP.

I'd ditch the run-flats, too. Hard riding and not the best performance tires. I swapped all 8 of ours out on the Coopers before the tread was even half gone. And that's not long, I assure you.

Congrats on your smart decision to drive a MINI. Enjoy !!

Old 07-05-2008 | 06:33 AM
SuperGreg
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Sounds like a sweet config !

If I may, can I talk you out of the crown spoke wheels ? They are my only regrettable option on our MINIs. They are a ***** to clean and the MINIs give off tons of break dust. If your heart is set on them, do yourself a favor and change to come low-dust pads ASAP.

I'd ditch the run-flats, too. Hard riding and not the best performance tires. I swapped all 8 of ours out on the Coopers before the tread was even half gone. And that's not long, I assure you.

Congrats on your smart decision to drive a MINI. Enjoy !!
Thanks!

I was planning on purchasing the 17" web spoke, and then I remembered the brake dust. Remember, I have a BMW X5, so I know all about BMW brake dust . At least the crown spokes will be much easier to clean than those. Which wheel do you recommend? When you say "ditch the run flats", do you mean that I should remove them immediately, and buy a new set of tires? That seems a bit impractical and expensive to me. I'll just wear these out, and then replace. Will I be able to put non run flats on these wheels?

Thank you for the warm welcome

Old 07-05-2008 | 07:43 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I'm not sure about the web spokes being harder to clean than the crown spokes... the dust really adheres to the crown spokes for some reason, more than my 5-stars or even the S-Lites. My recommendation, the fewer spokes, the better, from a cleaning perspective. But you have to balance your obsessiveness for clean wheels with the appearance you're looking for.

As far as the run-flats, if I had to do it over again, I would not order them on my MINI. If they're part of the package I wanted, I'd go ahead and replace them right away and sell them for whatever I could get for them... I dislike them that much.

And yes, you can absolutely run the non-runflats on your wheels.

Old 07-05-2008 | 08:00 AM
SuperGreg
|
6th Gear
I'm not sure about the web spokes being harder to clean than the crown spokes... the dust really adheres to the crown spokes for some reason, more than my 5-stars or even the S-Lites. My recommendation, the fewer spokes, the better, from a cleaning perspective. But you have to balance your obsessiveness for clean wheels with the appearance you're looking for.

As far as the run-flats, if I had to do it over again, I would not order them on my MINI. If they're part of the package I wanted, I'd go ahead and replace them right away and sell them for whatever I could get for them... I dislike them that much.

And yes, you can absolutely run the non-runflats on your wheels.
Do you have a reco for "better" non-run flat tires? Maybe I'll just use them till I get my first flat, then replace all 4

Old 07-05-2008 | 08:18 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yep, you could do that.

My best recommendation for tires. When you're ready to replace those run-flats, call the guys over at The Tire Rack (visit www.tirerack.com) and give them your driving conditions, driving style, and let them give you their recommendations. They have a very wide selection of tires, and will pick the best for you and your MINI. Their prices are good and their service is even better.

They're a great source for aftermarket wheels and brake pads, too. And no, I'm not getting paid by them.

Old 07-05-2008 | 08:21 AM
SuperGreg
|
6th Gear
Yep, you could do that.

My best recommendation for tires. When you're ready to replace those run-flats, call the guys over at The Tire Rack (visit www.tirerack.com) and give them your driving conditions, driving style, and let them give you their recommendations. They have a very wide selection of tires, and will pick the best for you and your MINI. Their prices are good and their service is even better.

They're a great source for aftermarket wheels and brake pads, too. And no, I'm not getting paid by them.
That's where I'll go, as they are also a sponsor at my other forum

Old 07-05-2008 | 08:22 AM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Speaking up for run-flats here! I love them! I really like the harshness and feel of the road, and so far my back and kidneys seem to be surviving. . .
Having said that, the ride is really stiff, and I configured my car for maximum stiffness. Someday I might switch out to different tires, but it's not something at the top of my list.

It's really a personal preference, and you'll have to see what you think compared to what you're driving now.

Either way, you can't go wrong. . . it's a MINI!

CR&PW&JB (can I just call you tri-colore?) is right about the dust on the crown spokes. I have those, and love the look, but they do need cleaning. I got some Meguire's aluminum cleaning spray, and so far like their Ultimate Quick Detailer better for cleaning the wheels. Just don't get white wheels!!!! The dust isn't as noticeable on the aluminum.

Old 07-05-2008 | 08:51 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
You can call me whatever is easier for you, Scoopmama !

If I had a dollar for every name people have come up with to address me here on NAM, I'd have enough money to get another set of valve stem covers... for all three of the MINIs.

And yeah, it's a matter of personal preference. Just for me, the sport suspension combined with the run-flats was just a little too harsh. In my younger days... wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

And I've waxed those wheels and I use some great wheel cleaner (Griot's), but still... PITA.

Old 07-05-2008 | 09:01 AM
SuperGreg
|
6th Gear
Just for me, the sport suspension combined with the run-flats was just a little too harsh.
That's why I didn't get the Sports Pak