1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All researched out - Don't know if i can wait

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 04:56 PM
chazct
|
Neutral
All researched out - Don't know if i can wait

I've done my research. i want a cabrio (probably an s) and now i've found out that the only way to get one is to order an 09. The dealers say January or February is the earliest delivery. (maybe later) i need a new car and i'm the kind of person who over analyzes most of the item I purchase before i commit but once I've made up my mind that something fits the need i want it now. Sounds like most 50 year old kids,,huh. one dealer says the 09 won't be any thing like the 08 so test driving one (if he even had one for me to drive) wouldn't do any good. the other dealer has an 08 cabrio that they use as a demo but can't sell it or they have nothing to show anyone.

needless to say i'm frustrated. I'm taking the wife to check them out to get her approval but don't know if i can wait. anyone else in the same boat?

Old 07-08-2008 | 06:01 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
The sooner you 'get in line', the less time you'll have to wait.

Like you, I tend to research things to death (some of those things aren't still made by the time I come to a decision). I "moderately" researched my MINI. I ordered in early-mid June. My car won't be built until next month. I won't see it until September (barring some sort of unlikely mircale). I BELIEVE that until it goes into production, I can change my mind on any part of it, but at least now I've got a production number and it's alloted a slot on the assembly line. Now I can go back and re-research and second-guess all my original decisions. Still the same chance to lose my mind, but now at least I've got a slot. If you continue to wait, your production is likely to be extended waaaay out in the future due to demand for MINIs!

Old 07-08-2008 | 06:31 PM
Pretzel Logic
3rd Gear
Having driven the first gen and second gen MINIs (coupes) I can tell you that the current models are much better (I know people will disagree). But from my perspective, it has a much better ride, a much nicer interior, a better engine, and is more refined, if not as "raw" as the first generation.

My suggestion would be to drive an '06 or earlier hardtop, and then an '08 hardtop. The difference will be the same as an '08 convertible vs an '09, minus some structural rigidity.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 07-12-2008 | 06:36 PM
chazct
|
Neutral
I knew I couldn't wait

I took my wife back to the dealer so she could test RIDE the mini. MA tells me that since i was in two weeks ago the wait for a convertilble S has gone from Jan-Feb to April-May. my wife and i had been talking about going hardtop on the way down and guess what? the dealer had a gorgeous PW/B cooper S that he wanted me to drive.

The car is a demo for the dealership and initially they told me i couldn't buy it until October when they started to get 09 models in. we were going to order an MCS which would probably be delivered in November when my MA checked with his sales manager and they were willing to sell the car if i wanted to buy it. it didn't take long to say yes because the car was almost identical to the one we were spec'ing out to order minus an arm rest.

Wifey says my next one can be a convertible and hopefully i grow more patience or Mini increases production to reduce the wait. a 10 month wait for a Cabrio was more than i could stand as it is I'm having a hard time waiting until Tuesday when i can take delivery of my new rocket.

Old 07-12-2008 | 06:55 PM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
Haha...MCs are seductive, aren't they? Just one test drive, and you're ruined for anything else...at least, that was my experience. Congratulations on your new ride!

Old 07-13-2008 | 10:30 PM
mini on
4th Gear
what a cool story

Old 07-13-2008 | 11:26 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
I was on the list for the Clubman for 2 years. Excruciating wait, but soooo worth it. Now I want the 2009 Cabrio, but we'll see how things go. It's hard to justify when I already have a paid for 3 Series convertible with only 5,800 miles on it. But once the MINI bug bites, it's hard to resist.
Congrats on the new ride. You will start to look for the long way home now.