1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wgrzanic
Well, I never really got to use mine, so maybe I'm just not spoiled by it yet. We'll see, if I get it fixed and it breaks again someday, if it isn't harder to put off getting it repaired next time!

-Will
Have you already made an appointment?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Shameless bump!!!!! Any new issues?

I am still baffled by my little system meltdown! All I can figure out is maybe it had something to do with not using the key for many weeks. Can't remember if I was told that it needed to be used at any particular interval or not. I did find out from some other post that, the key charges itself so maybe the charge was drained causing the computer system to get confused!!! Everything went back to normal after I physically inserted the key in.

Did anyone have an idea on how the interior frame of the sunroof is attached?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini
Shameless bump!!!!! Any new issues?

I am still baffled by my little system meltdown! All I can figure out is maybe it had something to do with not using the key for many weeks. Can't remember if I was told that it needed to be used at any particular interval or not. I did find out from some other post that, the key charges itself so maybe the charge was drained causing the computer system to get confused!!! Everything went back to normal after I physically inserted the key in.

Did anyone have an idea on how the interior frame of the sunroof is attached?
When I took delivery (I have comfort access), my MA went over using the physical key to unlock and start the car with the fob inserted to charge it if necessary. It seems funny to me since the fob does have a replaceable battery.

Meanwhile, UPS has my JCW steering wheel on the truck. I'm hoping it arrives early enough that I can run it over to service for a quick install.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
When I took delivery (I have comfort access), my MA went over using the physical key to unlock and start the car with the fob inserted to charge it if necessary. It seems funny to me since the fob does have a replaceable battery.

Meanwhile, UPS has my JCW steering wheel on the truck. I'm hoping it arrives early enough that I can run it over to service for a quick install.
It maybe one of those nickel-cadmium batteries, but I'd rather not check at this point!!
Are you going to install the steering wheel yourself?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:30 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
It maybe one of those nickel-cadmium batteries, but I'd rather not check at this point!!
Are you going to install the steering wheel yourself?
No, it is somewhat involved with battery disconnect, getting the airbag out, etc. I could do it myself, but there is enough that could go wrong that I don't mind paying the dealer a 1/2 hour labor ($60 less discount) to get it done & not have to worry about warranty issues down the road. Also making it a dealer install should include it as part of the new car warranty, I think.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
No, it is somewhat involved with battery disconnect, getting the airbag out, etc. I could do it myself, but there is enough that could go wrong that I don't mind paying the dealer a 1/2 hour labor ($60 less discount) to get it done & not have to worry about warranty issues down the road. Also making it a dealer install should include it as part of the new car warranty, I think.
True!!! I think you're right about the warranty, why wouldn't it be covered if the dealer installs it!!

If the battery is disconnected is it just the personalized settings that get wiped out?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 PM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
RaceTripper,

Glad to hear you are getting the new steering wheel. Can't wait to see photos...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
True!!! I think you're right about the warranty, why wouldn't it be covered if the dealer installs it!!

If the battery is disconnected is it just the personalized settings that get wiped out?
Done! UPS came by this afternoon. I hopped in the car and went over to MINI service (they are maybe 3 miles away). They installed it while I waited for $50. They did not disconnect the battery (could hear the horn honking while I waited). Love it so far.

Pictures when I get a chance (just put my SLR away last weekend).

Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Those should be stored on the key.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Is the sport button supposed to be activitated before the car starts moving, or can it be activated on the fly?
Everyone must be out motoring, there is no one else here!!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Is the sport button supposed to be activitated before the car starts moving, or can it be activated on the fly?
Everyone must be out motoring, there is no one else here!!
You can press it whenever, but there's a little delay in it activating if you're moving, I think.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
You can press it whenever, but there's a little delay in it activating if you're moving, I think.
Cool!!! I was thinking you had to choose before you started driving!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:06 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
+1

I don't know about the delay, as I've seen pretty much instant change in throttle response on mine.

Do be prepared for a more sensitive throttle when you turn it on while you've been driving already, especially if you are in traffic. It can seem sudden.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
+1

I don't know about the delay, as I've seen pretty much instant change in throttle response on mine.

Do be prepared for a more sensitive throttle when you turn it on while you've been driving already, especially if you are in traffic. It can seem sudden.
If I recall correctly, in my experience the throttle response doesn't change immediately if I push the button while my foot is on the throttle. Once I let up and press down again, it's more sensitive. I haven't tried it in a while, though, so I can't remember. I just make it a habit to turn on sport mode and DTC every time I start the car.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
If I recall correctly, in my experience the throttle response doesn't change immediately if I push the button while my foot is on the throttle. Once I let up and press down again, it's more sensitive. I haven't tried it in a while, though, so I can't remember. I just make it a habit to turn on sport mode and DTC every time I start the car.
Are you hitting the DTC button for normal driving on public roads? I'm curious why? I don't disable DSC for daily driving. I only expect to use DTC-mode for slick conditions (ice/snow), and I'll turn that off and use the EDLC-only mode at the track (except in the wet when I'll add DTC back) where traffic and road surface conditions are more predictable. For daily driving in city traffic keeping all the DSC aids on is best (safest), IMHO.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 11-15-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Are you hitting the DTC button for normal driving on public roads? I'm curious why? I don't disable DSC for daily driving. I only expect to use DTC-mode for slick conditions (ice/snow), and I'll turn that off and use the EDLC-only mode at the track (except in the wet when I'll add DTC back) where traffic and road surface conditions are more predictable. For daily driving in city traffic keeping all the DSC aids on is best (safest), IMHO.
Enabling DTC does not disable DSC, unless I'm wrong. To disable DSC, you have to hold the button for 3-5 seconds or so and you get different warning lights for that.

Using it with full-DSC mode (no DTC) or whatever you want to call it, I've found that power gets cut much too often upon fast starts. It's especially bad, say, when turning onto a street and trying to get up to speed quickly. DTC essentially just allows for more wheelspin, I believe.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:37 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Enabling DTC does not disable DSC, unless I'm wrong. To disable DSC, you have to hold the button for 3-5 seconds or so and you get different warning lights for that.

Using it with full-DSC mode (no DTC) or whatever you want to call it, I've found that power gets cut much too often upon fast starts. It's especially bad, say, when turning onto a street and trying to get up to speed quickly. DTC essentially just allows for more wheelspin, I believe.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.
There are three modes from safest (most driver aids) to sportiest (least driver's aids). Press the DTC button and you turn DSC off and enable just DTC. Hold it down and you turn off both DSC and DTC and only EDLC is left. This is what I would use at the track. It will prevent DSC/DTC from 'overreacting' and allow you to get some drift on hard cornering without interfering. But I avoid using it otherwise because I never know what the road surface is really like on public roads (i.e. no guarantee for a clean line). But I don't really drive very hard on public roads anyway.

DTC does allow for more wheel spin for spirited driving and driving under slippery conditions (snow, sand, etc.), but when it's on it is without DSC. That's why the default (when you start the car) is off.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
There are three modes from safest (most driver aids) to sportiest (least driver's aids). Press the DTC button and you turn DSC off and enable just DTC. Hold it down and you turn off both DSC and DTC and only EDLC is left. This is what I would use at the track. It will prevent DSC/DTC from 'overreacting' and allow you to get some drift on hard cornering without interfering. But I avoid using it otherwise because I never know what the road surface is really like on public roads (i.e. no guarantee for a clean line). But I don't really drive very hard on public roads anyway.

DTC does allow for more wheel spin for spirited driving and driving under slippery conditions (snow, sand, etc.), but when it's on it is without DSC. That's why the default (when you start the car) is off.
Hm. So, a few days ago I took a turn onto a road and got on it, while in DTC mode. It was pretty wet out so I had a good bit of wheelspin, but I kept on it. Then, something kicked in and the DSC light flashed a bit as it got the wheelspin under control. Was that DSC? Or the one that starts with A (can't remember the acronym)? Too many damn acronyms!

Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Hm. So, a few days ago I took a turn onto a road and got on it, while in DTC mode. It was pretty wet out so I had a good bit of wheelspin, but I kept on it. Then, something kicked in and the DSC light flashed a bit as it got the wheelspin under control. Was that DSC? Or the one that starts with A (can't remember the acronym)? Too many damn acronyms!
That could have been DTC. In any case, I don't think driver's aids are ever entirely off, just diminished. So when you push the DTC button, DSC is still there a little bit. It was that way in the M3 as well. When I turned DSC off for the track, it wasn't really entirely off. On the M3 Competition Package DSC is even less intrusive when turned off, by design.

IN any case, when you push DTC, it will give you better traction on hard acceleration, but less of a safety net if you make a mistake in car control. With all the crap that's on the roads, I prefer having DSC, but I also prefer saving my hard driving for the track.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:27 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
+1

I'll have to try that, it maybe the best way to gauge the diff!!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Okay I'm a bit confused, does the JCW have DTC or DTS or both. I never really touch the button - I've left it in the default mode - which if I understand correctly leaves it up to the computer to regulate the wheel spin. Am I on the right track or off the road completely?
How do you check if you're in the default mode and does it always revert back to default even if you pressed the button once?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Okay I'm a bit confused, does the JCW have DTC or DTS or both. I never really touch the button - I've left it in the default mode - which if I understand correctly leaves it up to the computer to regulate the wheel spin. Am I on the right track or off the road completely?
How do you check if you're in the default mode and does it always revert back to default even if you pressed the button once?
OK, the JCW (and 09 MCS with SPort package) has three sport modes:
1. DSC is active. You have not pressed the DTC button at all (and is the default when you start). This provides the most drivers aids and highest level of safety from driver error. This is what should be used for everyday driving on public roads. It provides the best chance of recovery from loss of control due to driver error or poor road surfaces.
2. DTC is active, DSC is off. You have pressed the DTC button once. This is used when you need a bit more of controlled wheel spin for acceleration, such as on snow, sand, and spirited driving.
3. EDLC is active, DTC and DSC are off. You have pressed and held the DTC button until the warning light stays on. This is the sportiest mode and only the EDLC (electronic limited slip) is active. This is what I recommend for a non-novice for a track weekend.

There is some explanation of this at the MINI USA site.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:57 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Thanks Race Tripper!!!

Old 11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Yeah, I didn't realize it turns off a good bit of DSC when using DTC. I'll probably just keep it in default mode unless I see that I'll need to turn onto a road quick. That really, really bugs me about DSC, especially if it's wet out.

Thanks for clearing it up, RT.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Yeah, I didn't realize it turns off a good bit of DSC when using DTC. I'll probably just keep it in default mode unless I see that I'll need to turn onto a road quick. That really, really bugs me about DSC, especially if it's wet out.

Thanks for clearing it up, RT.
I saved Race Trippers 3 point instruction list for further study!!! I found it more helpful than the info at MINIUSA!!!

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group