1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Good morning,

it was about 3 weeks ago my tire sensor monitor went off. The air pressure was down to about 30-31 lbs in all four. It was the first 'cold' morning.... not sure that it had anything to do with it or not.
Originally Posted by Tu13es
That's likely so. Tire pressure can fluctuate quite a bit with temperature. They say to always fill your tires when they're cold.
I filled mine last Friday, I'll have to keep an eye on it. The pressure was down to the low thirties and no alarm.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Week 32ers - just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've been AWOL for a couple of weeks - glad to see this thread still active. Took me a whole hour to catch up on goings on! Serves me right for dropping out all sudden like.

Hmm, it seems like rattles, squeaks, and clankey clanks are starting to pop up now. I'll toss in a few more for good measure:

* return of the back seat squeak - yep, for the THIRD time, it's back again. At least I know it is the hinge mechanism. No amount of WD40 or unlatching/relatching activities can make it PERMANENTLY go away. Like cheap underwear, it creeps up on you. I'll have to bring it into the dealer eventually, but I am too lazy to do that right now. Question: do I need to bring it back to the dealership I bought from, or can I go to any dealer? I'm assuming I can bring it into any dealer - I think.

* dashboard buzz - a bee-like buzz popped up a few weeks ago while I was going up a steep hill taking my kids to school. Seems to happen at a certain RPM. Buzz is on the driver's side dash, near the A-pillar somewhere. Buggin' me like nobody's business.

* tire pressure monitor alert. Getting cold here -temp dropped below 50 degrees for the first time this 'winter' (I can hear you folks in cold country snickering) and sure enough the TPM bong went off. Checked my tires - all 32 lbs. Hmm -checked the inner driver's door - 35 lbs recommended, so I inflated all to ~37 lbs, reset TPM. All is fine now.

You guys are tempting me with more gadgets for the car! RaceTripper - I like the Nuvi mount....wish I had a Nuvi so I can get the mount! The fancy tire pressure gauges that you and sikamini have are nice, too. Might be on my xmas wish list!

Lastly, mainly for gbsim - I finally decided to take the false floor out of the clubbie boot. Gbsim - do you still have yours in place? Should have done it a long time ago - what a big difference in usable space! Took the wife and kids in the clubbie to appease my wife's desire to run errands at six stores ... yes we made purchases at all six stores and was able to pile everything in the back of the clubbie! With the false floor in place I don't think I could have done that. Now I'm thinking I may actually be able to fit a golf club bag back there!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I might not post again until after turkey day, but definitely wanted to pop in and say hi.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
I guess those are little items, but some of those squeeks maybe some of the plastic parts rubbing. I wonder if there is any plastic lub out there?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Darn.... it happened again!!! I think there is nothing happening on the Week 32 thread because I don't get an email alert and then I come directly to the site and see that there is! I haven't changed my preferences and I'm getting alerts on another thread or two that I follow, but not on others!

Hope everyone is set to have a great Thanksgiving holiday. It will be a quiet one here in Louisiana for us with only one son home and no other relatives around this year.

Knock on wood, I still don't have any rattles though I've got one speaker that has a buzz with certain sounds/pitches. Usually only apparent on podcasts and not worth taking it into the shop at this point.

So far the only thing that is driving me crazy about the Mini is the fact that I get no respect on the road!! It takes defensive driving to a whole new level. I've never been pulled out in front of, cut off and merged in on so much in my life!

Kechman, I've still got my false floor in place. I like having the flush surface when the seats are flipped. But when we took it to VA last month, it was great for storing stuff that we wouldn't need often. On the way up, we had some clothes and things to give to my son. On the way back we put shoes, coats and two bags with dirty laundry under there. If you take the time to plan, there's a lot of usable room in the car!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Yeah, my alerts are spotty as well. It seems that when I log into the site, I'll start receiving alerts for a bit after that.

I got my snow tires (Nokian WRG2) mounted on my spare R97 wheels today, yay! Not putting them on until first snowfall, though. I was able to fit the set in the back with the seats folded down.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:32 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone!

We are heading to my nieces home - 40 people! Yikes...

Lucy is dirty!!! It rained on my way home last night and her backend is terribly dirty. I hate it when it rains on her! I checked the seatbelt and the back seat for the rattle - not that. It sounds like in is inside the side panels. I think I will bite the bullet and bring her to the mini dealer to be fixed. It's bugging me!

I think my husband has past my mileage! I have just under 2000 miles on her and he was pretty close to my mileage last week. He drives a lot more then I do. People are ALWAYS looking at his car! I love my PW/B but I am a little jealous that he is getting more attention!! I did however, have 2 occasions this past week where they said something. I man and women were walking by and he said "nice car.. very, nice" and another women who said "I just love your car, that's my dream car".

Hope everyone has a great turkey day!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:53 AM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
HAPPY THANKSGIVING all you Motoring 32ers!! Enjoy the day.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:55 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Happy Thanksgiving from North Carolina.

After spending the last 5 days in VA at my mom's house, we made it to Charlotte where my daughter lives. We actually had a big Thanksgiving meal in VA this past Sunday, so will have something a little less than the usual food blow-out today.

Had a chance Tuesday to visit Montpelier, the home of our 4th president, James Madison. They have done a marvelous job with the restoration. The house has not been furnished, yet, though. Education center, visitor center, 2 small museums, 2 cemetaries, etc. on the property. I highly recommend it. It was where much of the Constitution and Bill of Rights was written. We stood in the room where it was done. Amazing!

I have missed Phantom, and look forward to getting back to him Saturday.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear

I lost one of my keys. Spent a few hours today looking, couldn't find it. My whole family tore my house apart. Checked the trash, nothing. Gah. I *always* hang it up when I walk in so it's really bugging me.

That said, itll be a good excuse to program my second key. Hopefully the other one turns up.

Anyone know how much they cost to replace? It's not a comfort access key.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:52 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es

I lost one of my keys. Spent a few hours today looking, couldn't find it. My whole family tore my house apart. Checked the trash, nothing. Gah. I *always* hang it up when I walk in so it's really bugging me.

That said, itll be a good excuse to program my second key. Hopefully the other one turns up.

Anyone know how much they cost to replace? It's not a comfort access key.
Probably $150-200.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Yikes.... Logged in this AM and our thread was almost to the next page!! Can't let that happen!

Tu13es! Hope that key turns up somewhere!!

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? We had a great day, but glad all the food is gone. Now... here comes Christmas! I was shopping yesterday and bought a 6 x 9 area rug. I was able to get it into my Mini with room to spare!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Yikes.... Logged in this AM and our thread was almost to the next page!! Can't let that happen!

Tu13es! Hope that key turns up somewhere!!

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? We had a great day, but glad all the food is gone. Now... here comes Christmas! I was shopping yesterday and bought a 6 x 9 area rug. I was able to get it into my Mini with room to spare!
Thanksgiving was great!!! We didn't go anywhere and enjoyed every minute!! Too much turkey, had to freeze half of it!!

Tu13es, hope you find the key. I've misplaced some items in the past only to find them a couple of months later in a coat pocket or some other piece of clothing that I rarely use.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Over the weekend I put a set of PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades on our Mini. For some reason the OEM blades were not wiping very well. I tried cleaning the OEM blades, but they would just smear. (Even with a very clean windshield).

I tried cleaning the OEM blades and using Rain-X, but they continued to smear. (I use Rain-X on our Corvettes and it is awesome - almost don't need wipers). So, I ordered a set of the PIAA Super Silicones from Outmotoring.com and what a difference. So far they are great - we'll see how long they last before needing new blade refills...

Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Yeah, the OEM ones suck. I use SilBlades, they're great.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
The OEM blades have been just fine for me.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
The OEM blades have been just fine for me.
And for me. Been using them a lot lately - rain, snow... you name it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
And for me. Been using them a lot lately - rain, snow... you name it.
So far so good!!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 PM
LBMCS702
1st Gear
hey guys been a while

It's been a while since I last posted, but hi everyone. I haven't read thru all of this thread yet, but I just got my first diesel engine sounds this morning. This morning was my first experience in hearing the tick tick clack clak, really terrible sounding engine for about 5 minutes. I heard it was common on the r56, but any word on a fix for this. And is any one else having this issue?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LBMCS702
It's been a while since I last posted, but hi everyone. I haven't read thru all of this thread yet, but I just got my first diesel engine sounds this morning. This morning was my first experience in hearing the tick tick clack clak, really terrible sounding engine for about 5 minutes. I heard it was common on the r56, but any word on a fix for this. And is any one else having this issue?
I read a post that said sometimes turning the car off and restarting may help. Or just keeping the RPM low until the engine warms up.
I remember hearing similar sounds from French built small engines in the past. Since the engine has French origins I wouldn't be too upset, just keep your dealer informed. Many of the old small engines I've had in the past were a bit noisy, but perfectly fine. Many times they needed minor adjustments when the weather changed - advance or retard the timing. Since these new engines are computer controlled a reset or restart maybe the best solution - I have a feeling this is a software issue more than a hardware. Just my thoughts.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 PM
LBMCS702
1st Gear
Ok, I will try and restart the engine if it happens again. I didn't hear it today, but the car did not start up twice today, and I am not sure if I released the clutch too early, but it didn't fire up right away. Is that how it is with you guys/girls.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LBMCS702
Ok, I will try and restart the engine if it happens again. I didn't hear it today, but the car did not start up twice today, and I am not sure if I released the clutch too early, but it didn't fire up right away. Is that how it is with you guys/girls.
I released the clutch once too early and Hilla didn't start, so I did notice you have to be a bit careful!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Yeah, sometimes if I press the clutch as I turn the car on it won't start. I make sure the pedal is fully down before hitting that button and it seems to be fine.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Huh. On my way home from breakfast this morning I noticed my Passenger Airbag light was on despite my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat. When I got home, I turned the car off and back on and the light remained on.

WTF?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Hmmm. I may have to order a set for when the OEM's wear out. I don't think the OEM's perform that well (mine smear), but it doesn't bother me quite so much that I'll replace them right away. However, my opinion may change as we get into the wetter months out here (usu. Jan/Feb). If they sell the back ones, too, I'll probably just order all of them at once. I find with the clubbie, I am using the back wipers quite often.

On another note, just finished hosting a holiday party at our house for 14 adults + 16 kids. Yikes! We do a rotation with 6 other families and it was our turn this year. We survived!

Hope everyone had a nice Turkey day. Trooper has nearly 4k miles already! Aside from the minor squeaks and rattles, it's been a joy (fingers crossed, wood knocked).

I have something that may be of interest to week 32'ers - a nice little memento based on RoadTrip's design. Once I am able to dig my SLR out with the proper lens, I will post pics sometime today. Stay tuned!

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2
Over the weekend I put a set of PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades on our Mini. For some reason the OEM blades were not wiping very well. I tried cleaning the OEM blades, but they would just smear. (Even with a very clean windshield).

I tried cleaning the OEM blades and using Rain-X, but they continued to smear. (I use Rain-X on our Corvettes and it is awesome - almost don't need wipers). So, I ordered a set of the PIAA Super Silicones from Outmotoring.com and what a difference. So far they are great - we'll see how long they last before needing new blade refills...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:48 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
NAM Dog Tag (for humans)

Hi Week 32ers! As promised, here is my little surprise.

I've been waiting for these to be made for weeks - finally they have arrived. Up for grabs are 7 "dog tags" for humans. The Week 32 graphic is laminated on one side of the lightweight aluminum dog tag. The other side is raw aluminum. Please see the attached pics or my gallery. If you are interested, please PM me asap with your mailing info - edit: actually, just PM your interest first and if you are one of the first seven, I'll make arrangements with you separately to send your address, etc. Don't want folks to feel obligated that they need to send their personal info. to me without knowing for sure they'll get it. Again, only 7 of these are available, so if you are interested, act quickly! First 7 to respond get'em. I had 10 made, am keeping 2 for myself, and am reserving one for RoadTrip since he designed the graphic! Let me know!

p.s. obviously the reindeer is simply modeling the dog tag and is NOT included!!

Attached Thumbnails Week 32 Support Group-dsc00526.jpg   Week 32 Support Group-dsc00528.jpg  

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group