1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arrggghhh,, just called Ask-Mini and got the worst rep so far! First he takes the production number and then puts me on hold... as something was wrong!! He said " looks like it started production today", I told him I was told 3 days ago it started (and yesterday and the day before.. I call a lot!! LOL) Then he said said "well I don't know what day it started, my system is acting funny" I asked him where in production is was, he replied that he couldn't tell me the production code! Now.. I'll have to call later and get someone else.

Okay, this strip, dawn, claybar and wax... is there a "how to" thread!!? ummm.. as stated in my very first post, I NOT typically a "car" person... until the day I ordered my Mini! This is my "baby" and although I have had several new "cars".. they were just that - a car! I drove it through the car wash and that was it! Now though... my MCS is DIFFERENT.. and I need to know how to take the best care of her.. (pretty sure it's a girl coming).

Bemmerondubs.. oh, I guess that is what is going on?? Call later!

Last edited by tinker_06; 07-31-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06

Okay, this strip, dawn, claybar and wax... is there a "how to" thread!!? ummm.. as stated in my very first post, I NOT typically a "car" person... until the day I ordered my Mini! This is my "baby" and although I have had several new "cars".. they were just that - a car! I drove it through the car wash and that was it! Now though... my MCS is DIFFERENT.. and I need to know how to take the best care of her...]
There is a detailing forum here on NAM. I can't say whether it's good or not as I haven't really looked at it. Autopia also has a detailing forum you might want to look at.

IMHO, if you are new to detailing, you might want to start by getting comfortable first with the basics by hand, before you worry about using a machine polisher.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Bemmerondubs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
arrggghhh,, just called Ask-Mini and got the worst rep so far! First he takes the production number and then puts me on hold... as something was wrong!! He said " looks like it started production today", I told him I was told 3 days ago it started (and yesterday and the day before.. I call a lot!! LOL) Then he said said "well I don't know what day it started, my system is acting funny" I asked him where in production is was, he replied that he couldn't tell me the production code! Now.. I'll have to call later and get someone else.

Okay, this strip, dawn, claybar and wax... is there a "how to" thread!!? ummm.. as stated in my very first post, I NOT typically a "car" person... until the day I ordered my Mini! This is my "baby" and although I have had several new "cars".. they were just that - a car! I drove it through the car wash and that was it! Now though... my MCS is DIFFERENT.. and I need to know how to take the best care of her.. (pretty sure it's a girl coming).

Bemmerondubs.. oh, I guess that is what is going on?? Call later!

Some of them know me already because when i say my name they dont even ask for a production number ... lol ... As far as Detailing goes ... From personal experience i feel that Zaino is the best. It is very simple to use and comes with instructions. I would reccomend the Zaino Total protection show car kit from zainostore.com. It comes with instructions and everything you will need for an amazing shine except the Dawn dish washing detergent. I used it for a Diamond Black mercedes for 3 years and a white BMW and dont think I ever saw a better shine on a daily driver than what i had on those cars. It last a long time and gives an incredible shines.

Last edited by Bemmerondubs; 07-31-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Porter Cable 7424. I get my pads from Autopia. I really like the 3.5" minipads in addition to the standard 6" pads.
That's a nice polisher, I was actually looking at that in another site. I noticed there are kits that you can buy, that include the Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a whole bunch of pads and accessories. I was looking at the Autopia site and there sure are a lot of pads. What are the must have ones and which are the ones that are handy and if you had the spare dollar would buy? Or is it simpler to buy a complete kit? I think I'd like to get that polisher and practice on my 13 year old car, which probably has some swirls and oxidation to remove and I won't cry too much if I make a mistake. This is really funny, we are already worrying about the MINI and how to take care of him/her.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
+1 on the Zaino system. It's the only thing I've used for the last 5 years.

To clarify on Dawn wash (and claybar). You only use that when you want to strip everyone and start fresh again. I only do that once or twice a year. Mostly, my weekly washes consist of using Zaino Z7 wash, followed by Zaino Z6 or Z8.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
+1 on the Zaino system. It's the only thing I've used for the last 5 years.

To clarify on Dawn wash (and claybar). You only use that when you want to strip everyone and start fresh again. I only do that once or twice a year. Mostly, my weekly washes consist of using Zaino Z7 wash, followed by Zaino Z6 or Z8.
Is it just regular Dawn or what? Since you said to use it only once a year or so, a bottle should last years.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
That's a nice polisher, I was actually looking at that in another site. I noticed there are kits that you can buy, that include the Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a whole bunch of pads and accessories. I was looking at the Autopia site and there sure are a lot of pads. What are the must have ones and which are the ones that are handy and if you had the spare dollar would buy? Or is it simpler to buy a complete kit? I think I'd like to get that polisher and practice on my 13 year old car, which probably has some swirls and oxidation to remove and I won't cry too much if I make a mistake. This is really funny, we are already worrying about the MINI and how to take care of him/her.
I would get the Sonus SFX Foam Pad Kit; the Sonus SFX 1, 2, 3 compounds; and maybe some spot pads (don't forget the 3.5" backing plate you'll need).

That's what I use.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Is it just regular Dawn or what? Since you said to use it only once a year or so, a bottle should last years.
Yup, the green stuff your wife keeps under the sink. It'll cut through and strip any wax or poly sealant you have on the painted surfaces.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
I would get the Sonus SFX Foam Pad Kit; the Sonus SFX 1, 2, 3 compounds; and maybe some spot pads (don't forget the 3.5" backing plate you'll need).

That's what I use.
Would that be the "3.5 inch dual action flexible plate"?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Would that be the "3.5 inch dual action flexible plate"?
That would be it. You only need one. You may need to make sure you get a 5" backing plate for the bigger pads. I can't remember if that comes with the PC or pad set or not. I just know I have one.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
That would be it. You only need one. You may need to make sure you get a 5" backing plate for the bigger pads. I can't remember if that comes with the PC or pad set or not. I just know I have one.
Thanks for the tips, I'll start adding up the damage, and put in an order for some more toys.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:47 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Thanks for the tips, I'll start adding up the damage, and put in an order for some more toys.
I would get for starters:
1) PC 7454
2) Sonus SFX pad set with 5" plate
3) Sonus SFX 1,2,3 compounds
4) Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit or Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit

Optionally add
1) 4" spot pads and backing plate
2) Zaino Z8

You'll also need microfiber towels for drying/polishing and mit for washing.

Stay away from the Karate Kid. He did it all wrong.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 07-31-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I would get for starters:
1) PC 7454
2) Sonus SFX pad set with 5" plate
3) Sonus SFX 1,2,3
4) Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit or Zaino Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit

Optionally add
1) 4" spot pads and backing plate
2) Zaino Z8

You'll also need microfiber towels for drying/polishing and mit for washing.

Stay away from the Karate Kid. He did it all wrong.
Heh, I was going to post a thread today asking which pads I should buy for my PC. Right now all I have is a foam pad that I use to wax it with. I'm not sure what else I'd like or what I'd actually use.

RaceTripper - what do you use each of those pads for?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Heh, I was going to post a thread today asking which pads I should buy for my PC. Right now all I have is a foam pad that I use to wax it with. I'm not sure what else I'd like or what I'd actually use.

RaceTripper - what do you use each of those pads for?

Soft pads for polishing. Medium and and hard pads for repairing swirls and scratches. Ditto for the compounds - they vary in abrasiveness depending on what you are doing.

Most of the time I use a soft pad and polishing compound. When I do my annual spring hardcore detail, I typically also do a medium pad/compound on hood and trunk before the polishing to really get a deep shine out of it. But I'm talking about my Carbon Black M3. My JCW may be different. It's Chili Red and White and has softer paint.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Soft pads for polishing. Medium and and hard pads for repairing swirls and scratches. Ditto for the compounds - they vary in abrasiveness depending on what you are doing.

Most of the time I use a soft pad and polishing compound. When I do my annual spring hardcore detail, I typically also do a medium pad/compound on hood and trunk before the polishing to really get a deep shine out of it. But I'm talking about my Carbon Black M3. My JCW may be different. It's Chili Red and White and has softer paint.
Yeah, my JCW is Laser Blue, so I'm thinking (hoping) I won't have any swirling to deal with.

I think I need to read up on polishing a bit. I've never done it and don't know much about it.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Yeah, my JCW is Laser Blue, so I'm thinking (hoping) I won't have any swirling to deal with.

I think I need to read up on polishing a bit. I've never done it and don't know much about it.
The person I learned a lot from has been on NAM as BradB (he lives in my neighborhood). He's now switched from a MCS to an M3, so isn't active here anymore, but if you find relevant posts by him on detailing, those are the ones I would trust.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
The person I learned a lot from has been on NAM as BradB (he lives in my neighborhood). He's now switched from a MCS to an M3, so isn't active here anymore, but if you find relevant posts by him on detailing, those are the ones I would trust.
I just got finished reading one of the super long stickies with lots of BradB input.

I bought a bunch of detailing products last year when I bought my current car. Now, I'm going through and finding out what else I should buy.

Currently I have/use:
Meguiar's NXT shampoo
Meguiar's NXT Tech wax
Meguiar's interior/exterior quick detailer
some wheel cleaner that I can't remember the name
some purple glass cleaner...Purple Haze maybe?
tons of microfiber cloths
waffle weave microfiber cloth for drying

I'm thinking of adding:
A polishing/buffing pad or two for the PC
New 100% cotton wash mitts
Rain-X (I'm all out! )
303 Aerospace Upholstery cleaner
Plastic-X plastic polish
Sonus paintwork cleanser
Forever Black?
a new hose nozzle

I'm not exactly sure which Zaino product I want/need. As this car will be new I'd like to save some cash and wait on things like the compounds designed for heavily oxidized/swirled paint.

I've read some really good things about Prima Nero, Clarity, and especially Hydro. Which products do these replace? Also heard lots of good stuff on Banana Gloss.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe I should take this to the Detailing 101 forum...

Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I
I've read some really good things about Prima Nero, Clarity, and especially Hydro. Which products do these replace? Also heard lots of good stuff on Banana Gloss.
I asked Brad about Hydro, since I've seen a bunch of posts here. He told me the Zaino I already use is better and not to bother. That's good enough for me.

Zaino provides a great protectant layer, a beautiful finish, lasts a long time, and is easy to use.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Ok. Let me preface this post with the following statement:

I told myself that all this obsession was just driving me crazy. Calling every day to hear the same thing with no update was just silly, I said to myself. I promised myself I wouldn't call today...

...and so I just called, anyway.

I GOT A VIN!!! YAY!!!

I also got a birthday of August 6th... I am so happy right now.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
ephotodfw
1st Gear
I'm with ya Calmante! I getting tired of calling everyday. Took a couple of days off spending my time in the detailing 101 forum. Decided to call today and found out that tomorrow is our b-day, 8/1! (completion date)! The OL still says "scheduled for production". Now it's time to get crackin' on my garage set up!
-e

Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Bemmerondubs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
Ok. Let me preface this post with the following statement:

I told myself that all this obsession was just driving me crazy. Calling every day to hear the same thing with no update was just silly, I said to myself. I promised myself I wouldn't call today...

...and so I just called, anyway.

I GOT A VIN!!! YAY!!!

I also got a birthday of August 6th... I am so happy right now.
Congrats!!! looks like our MINI's will be born on the same day... I wasn't going to call to much today either but I just cant help it and I ended up calling about 4 times. Every time getting a different description of what was going on. I even had one guy tell me that it wont start till august 6th. I dont think these people know too well what they are doing but I cant help but call every few hours . . . . Racetripper you have an awesome car there. I am a huuuuge BMW fanatic and was thinking about buying a used E46 M3 instead of the Mini but the price is still pretty high and the gas mileage on the mini was too good to overlook. Just curious though since I have never really used one of these PC things but I have heard alot about it in other forums... How do you use that with zaino ... DO you use it for the application and removal ... How do your results compare using zaino with the PC and without it?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bemmerondubs
... Just curious though since I have never really used one of these PC things but I have heard alot about it in other forums... How do you use that with zaino ... DO you use it for the application and removal ... How do your results compare using zaino with the PC and without it?
I use a PC for paint repair and polishing only. Zaino is applied manually, and trying to do it with a PC would just waste a lot of it (and likely cause you to over-apply and end up with a cloudy/milky finish). I don't use the PC for buffing either. I just use a soft microfiber towel, which is all that's needed to get a glass-like finish with Zaino. Once the Zaino comes out the PC has already been put away.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bemmerondubs
Racetripper you have an awesome car there. I am a huuuuge BMW fanatic and was thinking about buying a used E46 M3 instead of the Mini but the price is still pretty high and the gas mileage on the mini was too good to overlook.
Yeah, mine's a lease. I could have kept it by buying it, but it doesn't get great gas mileage (17 MPG combined) and I would have to start paying for maintenance/repairs next year. So it's getting replaced with the JCW I ordered. I'll still have a fun car.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Hey all,

I set up an unofficial chatroom for NAM! I'd love to chat with some week 32'ers (though all NAMers are welcome)! It's pretty easy to join and sometimes the forums just can't deliver what a live chat can!

Come say hi!

Details here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=149104

Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 AM
Bemmerondubs
2nd Gear
WOOO finally moved up to scheduled for production in the OL. Its been 2 weeks exactlly since Ive ordered the car so hopefully ill be getting the car sooner than i expected. I was told mid September but production is to be completed Aug 6th so Im hopeing for a late Aug. or early Sept. arrival since im on the east coast.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group