1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:01 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just noticed the Patriot is two days late and is just passing thru the English Channel from Zeebruge on it's way to dock in Southhampton on the 17th. It scheduled for an August 30th arrival at Charleston. If I'm not on the Caribbean Highway, I should get on this (my JCW was completed a week ago).

Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Fidelio:
Last reported at 2008-Aug-17 00:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Aug-17 00:43 UTC.
Position N 50°06', W 042°42'.

Maersk Wind playing tag!
Independence and Western Highway fell of the edge of the map!!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:53 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I just noticed the Patriot is two days late and is just passing thru the English Channel from Zeebruge on it's way to dock in Southhampton on the 17th. It scheduled for an August 30th arrival at Charleston. If I'm not on the Caribbean Highway, I should get on this (my JCW was completed a week ago).
Have you been checking the automated message at ASKMINI, it took it four days to recognize our MINI was on a ship? Patriot was sitting at port for a long time, maybe mechanical repairs?

Old 08-16-2008, 06:47 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Have you been checking the automated message at ASKMINI, it took it four days to recognize our MINI was on a ship? Patriot was sitting at port for a long time, maybe mechanical repairs?
I haven't called ASKMINI in over a week. I figure one way or the other I'm about a mid-September delivery.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Been ages since I called... They can't tell me anything anymore!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:44 PM
denstep57
1st Gear
Last time I called they said it had been released to the distributor and was beyond their ability to track. Haven't had reason to call since; this forum has given me all the tools I need to track the progress across the pond.

Last edited by denstep57; 08-16-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:20 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Fidelio closing fast!!! Western Highway and Independence should be approaching the coast. By calculation Western Highway has traveled about 464 to 490 miles since last report (29 hours) and should be about 200 to 250 miles off the coast of Maryland. Independence has traveled about 656 miles since last report (41 Hours) and should be within 100 to 150 miles from the port of New York. She is probably within 10 hours of port.

Fidelio:
Last reported at 2008-Aug-17 06:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Aug-17 11:00 UTC.
Position N 49°18', W 045°06'.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
I haven't called ASKMINI in over a week. I figure one way or the other I'm about a mid-September delivery.
Originally Posted by Calmante
Been ages since I called... They can't tell me anything anymore!
The person at ASKMINI can't, but at least the automated system was able to say it was "en route".

Old 08-17-2008, 04:54 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Sikamini, you sure are getting a bunch of stuff added!! I think if you placed it with the order, most will be done at the VDC.. *i think*

So, I just wonder how important it is to have a clear bra if you just drive on normal highway/city roads. I don't plan on racing, or driving on dirt/gravel roads. And I worry about the "look" seeing a seam...
I hope you're right about the VDC installs. They will probably keep our MINI for at least a week if everything is installed at the VDC. I am fairly sure the clear bra is not installed at the VDC, and I had the same worry about the clear bra seam. I've been told that it is not visible at a distance. I just know that some truck is going to drop a couple of rocks on the road and nick the bonnet, so I would rather look at the clear bra than to deal with having the paint job fixed. The clear bra is treated just like the paint, waxing and so on, I'll just have to see how it turns out after they install it. I have an absolute fear of rock chips and door dings, and anything I can do to minimize the risk I will.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 AM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
I just know that some truck is going to drop a couple of rocks on the road and nick the bonnet, so I would rather look at the clear bra than to deal with having the paint job fixed. The clear bra is treated just like the paint, waxing and so on, I'll just have to see how it turns out after they install it. I have an absolute fear of rock chips and door dings, and anything I can do to minimize the risk I will.
Well put, I'm going to see some MINIs with it installed just to see if my fears are misplaced. I hate the idea of rock chips messing up the front, especially having an AB color scheme!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 AM
zouzouetmoi
1st Gear
I have an absolute fear of rock chips and door dings, and anything I can do to minimize the risk I will.
Oh yea, driving and parking in Houston.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Wow - our ships are approaching fast!!

About that clear bra... what if you ever had to replace it.. say IT got scraped for a bit beat-up - wouldn't it ruin the real paint job underneath it? I hear that removing will remove the paints clear-coat too...?

I am getting the mudflaps and driving lights installed at the dealers - and feel like I am getting ripped off. $1295.00 and THAT's a with $150.00 discount!! From what I read, the Brunswick, GA's VDC is fairly new.. and the worst of all the VDC (they can take a LONG time keeping the MINIs) . Love my Hubby.. KNOW he could easily do it, but he'd take even longer, (he's busy - it wouldn't be a priority) so I am stuck paying the dealer's fee or wait 6 months for my hubby. I already decide to pay, but I HATE the feeling of getting ripped off! They probably charged me a 'pain in the a$$' fee.. since I ordered AND cancelled 2 cars all within 5 days!! (our business must occasionally apply these fees to an elite few..)

I went out for much of the day yesterday - and deliberately looked and looked for any MINI spotting's.. saw only 1! With all the write-ups on how popular they are, and the fact that the dealers can't even keep them in stock.. seems like the roads will become more filled with them. I hope not - I like the idea of driving a 'not so common' car!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear

I went out for much of the day yesterday - and deliberately looked and looked for any MINI spotting's.. saw only 1! With all the write-ups on how popular they are, and the fact that the dealers can't even keep them in stock.. seems like the roads will become more filled with them. I hope not - I like the idea of driving a 'not so common' car!
I still haven't seen a Clubman (other than some nearby neighbors) out on the road, but will be driving about 2,000 miles next week so I'll be keeping my eyes open. I think I'm beginning to wear on my husband with my "oh look, there's a Mini!!" when we're out together. THE absolute sure fire place to ALWAYS spot a Mini is at Whole Foods.

'08 Laser Blue/Silver Clubman S etc, etc

Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear

It really depends on where you are. I see about an average of 5 MINIs on my commute in MA, but I can't ever remember seeing any in NH. I've also never seen a Clubman other than at the dealer.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Tinker, I've been told the clear bra can be replaced without damaging the paint job.

Fidelio!!!! Nearing "the Narrows" in northern Canada - less than 250 miles away!!

Last reported at 2008-Aug-17 12:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Aug-17 15:13 UTC.
Position N 48°48', W 047°00'.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:30 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Wow - our ships are approaching fast!!

About that clear bra... what if you ever had to replace it.. say IT got scraped for a bit beat-up - wouldn't it ruin the real paint job underneath it? I hear that removing will remove the paints clear-coat too...?
Removing the ClearBra doesn't hurt the paint underneath. It won't remove clear coat either...well, maybe if it's a Ford.

My MCS to M3 convert friend tells me the MINI paint is softer than on a M3 (no surprise there). That means it's more susceptible to rock chips. I think the clear bra is worth doing, even if you can see a seam close up.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
In the three months since we placed our MINI order, I've gone from seeing 2 to 3 MINIs per day to around 6 to 9. I even saw 13 one day, no it was not in a dealership. I just hope they'll wave when I do!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
News flash!!! Patriot heading for English Channel!!
Caribbean Higway and Maersk Wind silent running!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
News flash!!! Patriot heading for English Channel!!
But it still says dest is Gbsou (Southhampton).

Old 08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Fidelio approaches coast!!!!
Last reported at 2008-Aug-17 18:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Aug-17 19:13 UTC.
Position N 47°30', W 049°36'.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
But it still says dest is Gbsou (Southhampton).
Must be in a time warp or forgot to mention they were leaving. One of the ships was moored physically,but showed it was underway - go figure!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
Update on Maersk Wind:
Last reported at 2008-Aug-17 18:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Aug-17 21:28 UTC.
Position N 43°06', W 027°12'

Old 08-17-2008, 03:11 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
WOW!! Fidelio is VERY close to land.. and so is Hurricane FAY! Yep, I am in the hurricane 'zone'. Kids start back to school tomorrow and neighboring county cancelled the first day! We are scheduled to have school tomorrow - but it's an almost guarantee that it will be cancelled Tuesday! So now I only do not have a ship to track - I have a hurricane!

Well you all are convincing me to get a clear bra! I think I might - after I take my car! I feel like it would be WAY overpriced from the dealer.. so I'll need to look into this!

It's been much quieter here now that our MINIs are all on their cruises. It was a bit stressful waiting to 'see' if they made it on their ships!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
I got something fun in my email inbox today: "Mind Meld With Your MINI"

It was neat, it asked me what my favorite radio stations are, what my preferences are for things like Daylight Running Lamps, etc. so that my MINI will be all programmed when I pick it up!

At the bottom of the email, it said: "* And the stuff our lawyers make us say: It should be understood that receiving this email does not necessarily mean that delivery of your MINI is imminent."

Rrrright...

Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
I got something fun in my email inbox today: "Mind Meld With Your MINI"

It was neat, it asked me what my favorite radio stations are, what my preferences are for things like Daylight Running Lamps, etc. so that my MINI will be all programmed when I pick it up!...
With all my prior BMWs my dealer always had I form I filled out with preferences for stuff programmed into the key.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group