1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 AM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics re: Voyage ED832-MWI, the Maersk Wind has left Galveston and will arrive at the canal on saturday.
Weather in the Gulf and the western Caribbean has me a bit concerned. There is also a hurricane in the Gulf of California, but it should be dissipated by the time the "Wind" gets there.
My usual source for tracking the Maersk Wind has not updated for two days.
sikamini, who were you using as a tracking source????

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rtwerk222
According to Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics re: Voyage ED832-MWI, the Maersk Wind has left Galveston and will arrive at the canal on saturday.
Weather in the Gulf and the western Caribbean has me a bit concerned. There is also a hurricane in the Gulf of California, but it should be dissipated by the time the "Wind" gets there.
My usual source for tracking the Maersk Wind has not updated for two days.
sikamini, who were you using as a tracking source????
Here are some of the ones I've used. I've also looked at ones for each port, just google AIS and the port name.

General location by weather report - ship located by call sign:
http://www.sailwx.info/

This one is good for many of the US ports:
http://ais3.siitech.net/VTSLite/AView.aspx

This is good for the Panama Canal:
http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/panamacanal.phtml

This is for Galveston - updates are slow and you are probably correct - that she probably left port this morning:
http://vesseltrax.com/Texas_City_Harbor.html

Main thing is to use multiple sources and check by the ships call sign or name depending on the site.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Calmante - CONGRATS!!!! You're the first in our group!!

Sikamini - yep, that's EXACTLY what I am telling hubby!!

gbsim... here is SW FL - I know all too well how those love-bugs plaster our cars!! Our 'season' must be a little different.. I think we get hit in May and then again in Sept. .. so they are coming!!!!

Never knew what "love-bugs" were until I moved to FL!!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 AM
Bemmerondubs
2nd Gear
WHOA!!! I live in Miami and i dont think I have ever had something like that happen to me ASKMINI updated me today to "at the port awaiting a shipping vessel". Dont know what that means but i already knew that I was in Brunswick anyways

Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bemmerondubs
WHOA!!! I live in Miami and i dont think I have ever had something like that happen to me ASKMINI updated me today to "at the port awaiting a shipping vessel". Dont know what that means but i already knew that I was in Brunswick anyways
Mine did something like that. After it'd been at the port for a few days, it changed to that. I think maybe it means that it's at the VDC (port) awaiting a truck to get onto.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:46 AM
zouzouetmoi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Calmante - CONGRATS!!!! You're the first in our group!!

Sikamini - yep, that's EXACTLY what I am telling hubby!!

gbsim... here is SW FL - I know all too well how those love-bugs plaster our cars!! Our 'season' must be a little different.. I think we get hit in May and then again in Sept. .. so they are coming!!!!

Yup, those are the little friends we love so much. They were in Utah also but not in the numbers as in LA, they would bunch around window sills though.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=tinker_06;2442362]

Yep, we've got two "seasons" too! We live out in the country and they are worse out here.... something about the heat of the asphalt and grass on the sides of the road, but they hang in the roadways. Can plug up your radiator vents if you don't get them hosed out pretty quick. They were great sex ed back in elementary school!

Mini question: what is everyone hearing and thinking about extended warranties for tires and the car in general and what prices are you getting. I'm due to pick up on Sat and wanted to have my mind made up before I got there. Called my MA on Mon afternoon and asked him to fax the particulars on what is covered and price to me, so that I could decide. BUT haven't heard a word. Will call again today.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Just got an email from the Business Manager at the MINI dealership asking for a copy of my driver's license, how I'd be paying, and showing me the extra dealership crap I can buy. The only one I'd consider is the 6yr/100k maintenance, and really just because it covers the clutch. The rest I'll be doing myself. At $1800, though, it's expensive and I'll probably pass.

She called mainly to tell me she emailed me and she did say "so when the title comes in we can set up a date to pick up the car". First, I'm surprised that the title isn't there yet considering that the car got there this weekend. Second, she made it seem like it might not be ready soon, ugh. I want it by the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
I am thinking about the tire one, those run flats might be expensive and I always seem to find nails.

I remember those little bugs, I don't see them so much in Houston anymore. Used to see a bunch when I lived north of Houston, maybe they don't like the Houston air quality!

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
gbsim,

My wife and I signed all of the paperwork yesterday, and the only program that we signed up for (at this time) was the extended wheel and tire agreement.

It cost $199 and covers the wheels and tires from road hazards for 60 months, up to $50 per tire repair, $250 per tire replacement, and a $1000 pay-out cap over the 60 months. It also includes some AAA type benefits that may come in handy after the MINI roadside assistance expires (things like tows, jump starts, emergency travel expenses, etc)

Not sure if I should have gone for it, but I can tell you that when we bought our 2007 Honda Civic, we purchased a similar tire plan and ended up driving over a rusty bolt and blowing a tire only 1 week (!) after purchase... crazy. Hopefully will never have to use it again.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
$199? Wow. Ours wants $749.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:46 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Yeah... $749 for tires and wheels? Wow. Kinda steep. What else does it cover?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Tire and Wheel Policy This is a 5 year tire and wheel insurance. All MINI Cooper “S” and MINI Coopers with 16”+ wheels have run flat tires on them. These tires run around $300.00 a piece, and the wheels are around $400.00. Runflat tires cannot be plugged, so if you end up getting a nail or a puncture it will end up costing around $300.00 to replace the tires. Also, due to the rigidity of the tire – your wheel may become off balance or warped due to hitting pot holes at high speed. This policy will insure your wheels and tires against all road hazards – except for curb rubbing. Policy cost $749.
There's also "PolyShield" and InvisibleShield for $695 each, LoJack $695, GAP $595. Also it looks like there ARE some extended warranty stuffs available, with the 6yr/100k one averaging about $2500. Not sure if I want to spring for that or not...

Can I buy that one before the factory warranty ends? If so, can I do it for the same price, or will they try to screw me over and jack up the price?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
My experience with coverage is this. I bought the Road Hazard from tire rack for my M3's Yokohama Advan Sports. The benefits drop off drastically after 12 months. I paid around $150+ for the coverage. After about 15 months I got a non-reparable puncture in my rear tire. The cost to replace was about $350 (tire plus mounting on rim). I was refunded $200. So I ended up $50 ahead.

I don't plan to do any more warranties like this. In the long run, I'll just come out behind. That's why they push these things. They are a huge profit for those that sell the warranties.

I plan to switch to non-run flats anyway, and those cost half of the runflats.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I'm tempted to call my local Town Fair Tire and see what their deal is on road hazard plans on runflats. I recently blew a tire in my current car and had to fork up the full price of the tire ($215) to replace it. Ugh!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Tu13es, aren't you coming from a Mazda6, like me, right? The tires for that thing were ridiculously expensive... Yikes, what a headache, and there's something about that car that makes them wear faster than I would have liked...

Anyway, the extended 6yr, 100k warranty for us is $1599, but that probably has to do with it being a regular Cooper???

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
Tu13es, aren't you coming from a Mazda6, like me, right? The tires for that thing were ridiculously expensive... Yikes, what a headache, and there's something about that car that makes them wear faster than I would have liked...

Anyway, the extended 6yr, 100k warranty for us is $1599, but that probably has to do with it being a regular Cooper???
Yeah, though they're aftermarket Toyo Proxes T1R 215/45/18. They're expensive tires everywhere.

I realized I won't put 100k on in 6 years so that seems silly. If it was 8/100k it'd be much more tempting. But otherwise I'm paying $1250/year for two years after my factory warranty expires.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
I put 100k in about 4 1/2 years on the Mazda6... But a lot of that was due to the miles I put in during the three years of courtship to my wife! Now that we live together, the driving-her-home part is a lot shorter...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Yay, just talked to the MA and I'm picking it up tomorrow at 4:30!

He said I need to arrange for 20day plates since I'm buying in MA and registering in NH? Would've been nice to know that earlier.

Anyway, woo!!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 AM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Finally

So I just now figured out what week I am just by compairing the weeks of people also on the Maersk Wind. One of the downsides of not going directly through the dealership I suppose.

Anyways Maersk Wind people! Left Texas today, lets hope no storms slow us down. THAT WOULD SUCK!

I wasnt going to put my current car up for sale till the car was closer and then in July a friend of a friend came to me and wanted to give me full price upfront payment for my mazda and let me hold on to it until my mini got here. So i took the bite, but I feel guilty making them wait all this time.

I tell you tracking the ship has been the easiest way to get daily updates. I dont know about you guys but on the owners lounge it said On Order for weeks and weeks then one day changed to Scheduled for Production and I called and it said no set date then like a day later it said awaiting shipment and next thing I know its booked on the ship and its enroute. It took forever then suddenly we were in business.

Anyone know how long we are looking at our cars being stuck in the distribution center in CA before they state making their way to the dealer. I know I have to wait even longer because once at dealer the autoland guy at my bank goes and picks it up and brings it to my bank for me to pick up.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Welcome LaurenC! The OL is not very good for up to date info. Usually ASKMINI has been better, but with the VDC info, it still tells me our MINI is at the dock. As far as I know it has not been at the dock for 5 days.
I've been watching Gustav since we are in Houston, and that storm does not look very friendly. At this time it looks like it is going to be heading straight for the center of the gulf. Maersk Wind may be able to just avoid him, since she left today. Problem is they may both heading for the same gap between Cuba and Mexico, but hopefully it stays a tropical storm for a bit longer. Just looked at the charts, it looks like the storm will hit the gap on Saturday and your ship should be at Panama by then.

Last edited by sikamini; 08-27-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
ephotodfw
1st Gear
MA just emailed and said he could have our car ready this afternoon!!! Saaaweeet!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
I would concur with sikamini. If the capt. of the Maersk Wind ramps it up they just may miss Gustav. The present projected storm track has Gustav reaching a level 2 in the Strait of Yucatan by Saturday. Present schedule places Maersk Wind in Manzanillo by the weekend.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Just got home and my MA called - My CAR IS ARRIVING!!!!! I will be able to pick her up Sat or Sunday! (think they want it on the books for Aug.) Gosh - I am HAPPY!!!!! I didn't think I would have it before Sept 3-4th...

Called this AM about the clear bra. Quoted about the same from 2 places, $460.00 and if it is extended more - +$80.00 They also quoted tinting the windows with a non metallic tint.. claimed it was awesome stuff, and that was $275.00. I asked my MA for prices.. he is going to get back to me on the clear bra, but the window tinting was $350.00 (ouch). I know he will be much higher on the clear bra.

Now about the clear bra... he said they use to always put them on, but they have found that after 3..4 years, they don't look good and need to be replaced. I never have used a clear bra before - and I am torn!! Do you really NEED one.. or is it just for 'peace of mind'??

Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 PM
woohoo
2nd Gear
My MA called a few minutes ago and I scheduled an appt to pick up my MINI on Friday! yay! just in time for the long weekend.
Funny thing is that he said "you can pick it up anyday except tomorrow (thurs.) b/c we have to complete the inspection" Really, I think it is because he is off on Thursdays

can't wait.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group