1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the Nav system - and it is FANTASTIC! It is a navigator, bluetooth, stereo and Park Distance control. When a call comes in, it pops the name right up on the screen, plus holds my entire address book. The radio/stereo/ipod selections also show on the screen, as well as backing up. It is also all voice activated. To me, it was worth every penny!

The disk are just circles cut out of a stiff vinyl. I placed them into the cupholders to give it a more finished look - as I didn't like the screws showing. I'll snap a picture tomorrow when I return with the tinted windows and clear-bra!

Changing the microphone was a BIG help, and SUPER easy! It's on the right side (brit's drivers sit on the right). People said I sounded a little 'hollow', but once I changed it - they couldn't tell that I wasn't actually using the phone.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chugiakgirl
LOL...had to work...what can I say??? I guess I did spend a lot of time just sitting in it in the garage saying, "Ahhhhhhhh".
Well, I'm a partner and boss of my team, so into my work calendar went "Monday WFH, while car gets accessorized" and "Tuesday OOO, taking a personal day"

Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Sounds like a lot of fun is being had to the newbie owners. I called my MA and he told me that my MINI just made it to the States on the 3rd and I should have it by the 9th!!!!!
When I told him it actually arrive last Wednesday night on CH he said,"oh yeah that's right" and that the 9th was just to be safe. He also said he would call tomorrow if he heard anymore. I wish they would just say they don't know/too lazy to find out/too busy to find out/ or the computer wasn't working rather than just blow smoke up my.......or make stuff up.

Well I guess the wait goes on. In the meantime, keep sharing stories, pictures and experiences - those of us without can a least imagine it's us putting 400 miles on in the first 4 days of ownership!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I got the Nav system - and it is FANTASTIC! It is a navigator, bluetooth, stereo and Park Distance control. When a call comes in, it pops the name right up on the screen, plus holds my entire address book. The radio/stereo/ipod selections also show on the screen, as well as backing up. It is also all voice activated. To me, it was worth every penny!

The disk are just circles cut out of a stiff vinyl. I placed them into the cupholders to give it a more finished look - as I didn't like the screws showing. I'll snap a picture tomorrow when I return with the tinted windows and clear-bra!

Changing the microphone was a BIG help, and SUPER easy! It's on the right side (brit's drivers sit on the right). People said I sounded a little 'hollow', but once I changed it - they couldn't tell that I wasn't actually using the phone.
Cool! Can you give us a "how to" on changing the speaker to the left? I agree on the cup holders. I hate seeing screws. Also, has anyone noticed that right in front of the gas pedal it seems that there should be a shroud of some kind? It seems a little unfinished up under there.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maersk Wind moves up the Cenral American Coast:
Last reported at 2008-Sep-04 06:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Sep-04 11:05 UTC.
Position N 13°24', W 093°30'.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Good morning everyone!!

I can truly say I am glad I live on the east coast at times like this! You west coast people must be miserable waiting! (I know I would be). I noticed a few east coast week 33er's already picked up there cars!!

mrwickham, yeah - that would really annoy me!!! Lazy.. and why does it have to take them so long? I'd keep a little pressure on them.

here is a picture of the cupholder 'disk'. I simply traced around a glass and then cut it out. It a close match to the redwood leather, but you could easily use black, or black or gray felt, or whatever other color. Lots of different material available in a craft store.

for moving the mic, there is a thread posted under Nav/audio. The Original Poster mentioned using screw drivers, but it 100% NO TOOLS. (well - almost).

simply wiggle/ pull the cover off

Pull out the little 'box' microphone.

and them pull the clip with the wires out. Here is where my husband helped because I was afraid of breaking it. He simply took a flat head screw driver and pried/wiggled the wire clip out of the mic box.

once the clip/wire id out, thread it through the holes to the other side.

snap the microphone 'box' in it new place on the left side, insert the clip back in, and replace the cover - DONE!!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM
WhiteLightning08
2nd Gear
Well. It has arrived. We can pick her up tomorrow around 5.

Very excited!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Every time I pick up a new car it rains. It's raining today so maybe my car will come in a day early, unless it's going to keep raining into tomorrow.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 AM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Good morning everyone!!

I can truly say I am glad I live on the east coast at times like this! You west coast people must be miserable waiting! (I know I would be). I noticed a few east coast week 33er's already picked up there cars!!

mrwickham, yeah - that would really annoy me!!! Lazy.. and why does it have to take them so long? I'd keep a little pressure on them.

here is a picture of the cupholder 'disk'. I simply traced around a glass and then cut it out. It a close match to the redwood leather, but you could easily use black, or black or gray felt, or whatever other color. Lots of different material available in a craft store.
for moving the mic, there is a thread posted under Nav/audio. The Original Poster mentioned using screw drivers, but it 100% NO TOOLS. (well - almost).

simply wiggle/ pull the cover off
Pull out the little 'box' microphone.

and them pull the clip with the wires out. Here is where my husband helped because I was afraid of breaking it. He simply took a flat head screw driver and pried/wiggled the wire clip out of the mic box.

once the clip/wire id out, thread it through the holes to the other side.

snap the microphone 'box' in it new place on the left side, insert the clip back in, and replace the cover - DONE!!
Great fix with the microphone. I wonder why they are not on the left hand side to start with. Seems a little odd that you would have the mic further away from the driver. Although since they were built in the uk that might explain it due the the drivers side being opposite.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maersk Wind nearing southern Mexico:
Last reported at 2008-Sep-04 12:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Sep-04 14:18 UTC.
Position N 14°12', W 095°12'.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 AM
WhiteLightning08
2nd Gear
Yippee

Didn't get the call.

I ended up going by the dealership and my MA was out. Another MA started flipping through the sheets of ordered cars and couldn't find our car anywhere.

He looked for about 3 minutes by last name and last 7 of the VIN I have memorized from trying to track on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen webiste. Couldn't find us anywhere. I really started getting worried/anxious. He then picked up anothere piece of paper and said, "Here it is, it came in this morning."

Sweetness!!

So we went around back and there it was. All seemed exact to order. Picking it up tomorrow. Will post some pics.

For those still waiting on cars, my MA was padding the delivery date about a week. He was saying possible delivery on 10-11th of Sept.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Great fix with the microphone. I wonder why they are not on the left hand side to start with. Seems a little odd that you would have the mic further away from the driver. Although since they were built in the uk that might explain it due the the drivers side being opposite.
Yes, think that's exactly why it is on the opposite side!! Moving it has made a big difference in the quality others hear.

WhiteLighting - CONGRATS!!!!! Woohoo, it is exciting!!

RaceTripper.. rained when I picked Lucy up too. Hoping you get a call today!!

Well, Lucy is at the car shop having her clear bra put on and windows tinted. I went with this upgraded ceramic tint, and went with the guys suggestion of 30% all around. Hope it's not TOO dark , I couldn't remember what Chugiakgirl went with went we were going over it... First time ever getting tint, if you can believe that!

Did have a little bit of a close car at the shop... I actually DID have to turn my face so my husband wouldn't see me laughing!! Hope he is MAD after he discovers.. I've been joking!! First, I have to say, he is HIGHLY intelligent, not a dumb person in any sense, book smart as well as common sense, so it does surprise me he is falling for this 'joke' that my MINI is programed by my fingerprint (which he thinks it must be my 'electrical charge' LOL!!

So, we are in the tint shop finalizing the items (he is my ride home - so he has to be there!) and they guy ask for my keys. I get them out and talk about pick-up times, and place them on the counter and we leave. My husband turns to me and says "Is he going to be able to start your Mini?" and I had to quickly think of something to say, and told him" yeah - they have some special code to bypass the system", and he said.. "Oh, so they know about this feature!" Then - I did have to turn so he wouldn't see my LAUGHING!!! I cannot believe he is falling for this!! I have tried for MANY years to play pranks on him.. and it never works!! This is GREAT fun for me!! LOL

Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
So, we are in the tint shop finalizing the items (he is my ride home - so he has to be there!) and they guy ask for my keys. I get them out and talk about pick-up times, and place them on the counter and we leave. My husband turns to me and says "Is he going to be able to start your Mini?" and I had to quickly think of something to say, and told him" yeah - they have some special code to bypass the system", and he said.. "Oh, so they know about this feature!" Then - I did have to turn so he wouldn't see my LAUGHING!!! I cannot believe he is falling for this!! I have tried for MANY years to play pranks on him.. and it never works!! This is GREAT fun for me!! LOL
Hahaha, wow. I can't believe he still hasn't figured it out.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:02 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
tinker, this is one for the prank hall of fame. boy your husband is not going to forget this one for a long time. just watch your back after he finds out! he may have to return the favor someday! haha do report back on how he eventually figures this out and esp his reaction....

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
Yikes -- I'm picking my car up TOMORROW!!! Crazy! Half-thinking about getting a clear bra put on it, but I don't know. Maybe I'll shop around and have it done locally, since the dealer wants $700 for it. We'll see.

Tinker -- you crack me up.

-Will!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wgrzanic
Yikes -- I'm picking my car up TOMORROW!!! Crazy! Half-thinking about getting a clear bra put on it, but I don't know. Maybe I'll shop around and have it done locally, since the dealer wants $700 for it. We'll see.

-Will!
I'm not having the dealer do clear bra and tint. An independent is doing it: $450 for clear bra + $75 for the lights, and $250 for 35% tint front/back.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Bemmerondubs
2nd Gear
Im ordering all of my Zaino products today... Things look like they have slowed down here.... guess more and more people are getting their cars. Ill be posting pics of mine by this time next week 387 mls so far

Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mrwickham
Sounds like a lot of fun is being had to the newbie owners. I called my MA and he told me that my MINI just made it to the States on the 3rd and I should have it by the 9th!!!!!
When I told him it actually arrive last Wednesday night on CH he said,"oh yeah that's right" and that the 9th was just to be safe. He also said he would call tomorrow if he heard anymore. I wish they would just say they don't know/too lazy to find out/too busy to find out/ or the computer wasn't working rather than just blow smoke up my.......or make stuff up.

Well I guess the wait goes on. In the meantime, keep sharing stories, pictures and experiences - those of us without can a least imagine it's us putting 400 miles on in the first 4 days of ownership!
Wow, sorry to hear that. I hope they get your car to you sooner than later! I know how frustrating it can be when it feels like you're pulling teeth just to get info! Can't wait to see photos of your new Mini!!! Keep your chin up...just a few more days!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Good morning everyone!!

Awesome! Thanks! Will be doing the same this weekend!!!

Last edited by Chugiakgirl; 09-04-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: getting rid of some unneeded photos
Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wgrzanic

-Will!
Get the clear bra from SOMEWHERE...I just saw a 1 year old AB loaner they have on the lot and it was covered with road rash. Looked NASTY! I sprung for the silly cost because I chickened out doing it myself. Just picked it up today and they did an EXCELLENT job! Well worth it (especially after witnessing the car without one).

And Tinker...that was hilarious! I only wish I'd have thought of it for my husband. <eg> As for tint, I went with 20% on back 3 windows and 35% on front two and 20% on sunroof. It's dark, but not too dark. It looks good with the AB I think. Don't forget to post photos for us when it is done.

Last edited by Chugiakgirl; 09-04-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I paid just about the exact same as RaceTripper. Just picked 'Lucy" up this evening, with a 30% tint all around and her new clear bra. She looks great! I wasn't sure about the clear bra myself, never had one put on before, but decide to last week as I was washing my old 4Runner (in hopes that hubby would trade it). It was than I noticed all the stone chips... and made my mind up.

wgrzanic, CONGRATS!!!

Our week 32 thread is slowing down. We promised not to jump ship before the west coaster get their babies, so lets all keep this thing going!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Bemmer and Chugiakgirl - I was typing as you both were posting!!

Bemmer, I too just mentioned the 'slow down' LOL

Old 09-04-2008, 05:22 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Chugiakgirl, the microphone move is easy and takes 5 minutes, but yell if you need help!

Good to know that the clear bra is worth it!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Chugiakgirl, the microphone move is easy and takes 5 minutes, but yell if you need help!

Good to know that the clear bra is worth it!
Thanks Tinker! Will do! I have almost 200 miles on the car now (hahaha...I spend more time waxing than driving).

Old 09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chugiakgirl
Get the clear bra from SOMEWHERE...I just saw a 1 year old AB loaner they have on the lot and it was covered with road rash. Looked NASTY! I sprung for the silly cost because I chickened out doing it myself. Just picked it up today and they did an EXCELLENT job! Well worth it (especially after witnessing the car without one).

And Tinker...that was hilarious! I only wish I'd have thought of it for my husband. <eg> As for tint, I went with 20% on back 3 windows and 35% on front two and 20% on sunroof. It's dark, but not too dark. It looks good with the AB I think. Don't forget to post photos for us when it is done.
OK - so where are your pictures of the newly tinted beauty? I'm waiting to see what level I should get for my AB, why did you go lighter on the back? I bet it looks great. I'm glad to hear they did a great job with the clearbra, I will probably have them do it to mine as well.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group