1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I may have to wait until Wednesday to take delivery, so with getting work done (bra, tint, etc) after delivery, Friday will be the first day to enjoy it. Then Saturday is out because I teach Street Survival School. But I have the end of the month to look forward to. That's when I head out on a road trip to Road Atlanta.
Nice trip you have planned!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini
MWhinnery, I think I read it was 1500 miles, but it should be in the owners manual for sure.

Any one have any advice on daily wheel and tire maintenance? I noticed there is some very fine dust that accumulates on the rims. Does the Zaino work on the wheels, and what should I use on the tires? This is terrible I am turning into a neat freak!!!
You can get brake pads that create less dust. You might check in the Tires, Wheels, Brakes forum.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Nice trip you have planned!
Petit Le Mans. We go every year.
Sebring in Spring.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
You can get brake pads that create less dust. You might check in the Tires, Wheels, Brakes forum.
Thanks, I think I found something - I'll upgrade the pads later!!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...81&postcount=2

Petit Le Mans. We go every year.
Sebring in Spring.
Remember lots of pics!!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Remember lots of pics!!
Just check my sig.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
MWhinnery
2nd Gear
MWhinnery, I think I read it was 1500 miles, but it should be in the owners manual for sure.

Any one have any advice on daily wheel and tire maintenance? I noticed there is some very fine dust that accumulates on the rims. Does the Zaino work on the wheels, and what should I use on the tires? This is terrible I am turning into a neat freak!!!
Oh yeah, the owner's manual, I need to go over that some more.

Neat freak or compulsive behavior?! I'm feeling it too. I've got a car cleaning kit in my boot that I use daily. I'm always out there cleaning up my car, wish my house was as neat and clean! It's easier, though, to keep a small car clean and I can lock it to keep the kids out! Another 10 years or so and I'll find out if my house will be any neater if it's free of kid-clutter. But my MINI is definitely off-limits to kid-clutter.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Just check my sig.

Originally Posted by MWhinnery
Oh yeah, the owner's manual, I need to go over that some more.

Neat freak or compulsive behavior?! I'm feeling it too. I've got a car cleaning kit in my boot that I use daily. I'm always out there cleaning up my car, wish my house was as neat and clean! It's easier, though, to keep a small car clean and I can lock it to keep the kids out! Another 10 years or so and I'll find out if my house will be any neater if it's free of kid-clutter. But my MINI is definitely off-limits to kid-clutter.
Yeah, I take out the owners manual every night for that perfect bedtime reading material. There is so much stuff in there and then there are the supplimentary reading materials!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Thanks, I think I found something - I'll upgrade the pads later!!
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...81&postcount=2
Don't forget, while the brake pads "wear-in", the dust will be a little more than usual. I noticed mine was quite bad but some Wheel Armour seems to have helped a little too.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Don't forget, while the brake pads "wear-in", the dust will be a little more than usual. I noticed mine was quite bad but some Wheel Armour seems to have helped a little too.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
WhiteLightning08
2nd Gear
Well, that goes to show you the reliability of the www.miniusa.com Owner's Lounge tracking system.

It still says "At Distribution Center" and our Mini is sitting in our garage!!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Calmante
3rd Gear
My MINI started talking to me today... When I pulled in my driveway, it started squealing Morse Code. High pitched squeals... Squeedle-deedly-dee-dee-deedlee-dee-deeeeeeee.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Calmante
My MINI started talking to me today... When I pulled in my driveway, it started squealing Morse Code. High pitched squeals... Squeedle-deedly-dee-dee-deedlee-dee-deeeeeeee.

oh dear... doesn't sound like it's happy... and I can imagine - you're not either!! Hope it is nothing too much to take care of!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Phantom is Home!

The title about says it all.

I arrived at the dealership about 2:00 p.m. Just as we were arriving, a technician was driving Phantom out of the service area. What a great way to see my car for the first time. Beautiful! My wife and I spent a few minutes settling the paperwork, and then my MA spent close to 90 minutes going over the manuals, the car, and answering my questions. I purchased a set of mud flaps to have installed later this week (by my local mechanic), and I was on my way about 4:00 p.m. It took a few minutes to get used to the feel of the car, but I had about a 45 mile drive home, so we (Phantom and me) had a nice time to get acquainted. So far, it's all wonderful. I'll do a more detailed first impression post later, but for now... no problems of any kind. Everything works perfectly... no rattles of any kind... the car feels very responsive and very solid.

Pictures are in my gallery. Hope you all like them. I'll post more, better ones another time.

Thanks for all the support through the waiting. Thanks for all the great ideas and advice from folks on NAM. And for those of you still waiting... hang in there... it is definitely worth it!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:00 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Break-in period

Originally Posted by MWhinnery
Alright Phantom! We're excited for you! Be sure to let us know how it goes and post photos!

I'm liking my MINI more and more. The ride's getting smoother and the squeaks are decreasing. I've put 350 miles on it in one week. How many miles for the break-in period?

Since I just talked about the break-in with my MA today... here's what he said: For the first 1500 miles, don't go over 90 mph, don't go over 5000 rpm, don't use the Sport button, don't use the cruise control (at least not much). Those were the only don'ts I got re: the break-in.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
MWhinnery
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
Since I just talked about the break-in with my MA today... here's what he said: For the first 1500 miles, don't go over 90 mph, don't go over 5000 rpm, don't use the Sport button, don't use the cruise control (at least not much). Those were the only don'ts I got re: the break-in.
Congratulations on Phantom's homecoming! He's so sharp-looking! I like the different stripes and the light interior!

Thanks for the break-in period info. I haven't done any of the listed items, but the guys at the dealership "tested" the sport button. They put a few miles on the car; I hope they didn't overdo it!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Not using the sport button is irrelevant. All it does is tighten up the throttle and steering response. With it off, you can get the same effect by just pushing your foot down a little further or turning a little more.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
My MINIs home as well. Looks like today is another homecoming day for week 32. So far so good, except the smell of some newly burning something

No rattles or heat issues. I quickly changed the plastic value tops for plastic mini value tops and swapped out the long antenne for a outmotoring short one. Much better. I'll post some pictures later tonight - as I need to set the garage door opener and radio stations.

My iphone comes up with the warning that this accessory is not meant for iphone, however the phone and music parts work well. However, "call number" doesn't quite understand my voice.

What else?? Too excited for words - got rubber floor mats especially after all the rain we got here today, speaking of which my mini's wash was horrible. Good thing I'lve got a Prima starter kit coming . Now I just need to find the time to learn everything and clean the vehicle.

No name yet, but I'm thinking of a vanity plate of "Blimey" as in the British "cor blimey" which translated means "wow" or "bloody hell" actually bloody hell works for anything in England, except an NE license plate

West coast those babies are coming and it will be great to hear about your homecomings. All the best - I'm off to play!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
WOOHOOOOO Phantom is HOME!!! Congrats!! He is very handsome!!! Doesn't it feel just great to have the wait over? I can't wait for all of wekk 32 to have their babies home!

Now I am freaking out a bit... first it took TWO hours (after arriving at my appointed time) before I even got together with the sales man to finalize papers (cash - no loan!!) He briefly went over the car.. mostly the bluetooth and radio. He never told me one thing about the breakin period, but I knew it was for 1200 miles, not to go over 90 or 4500 RPM's... but I didn't know about the sports button!! I haven't used it a great deal.. but I have played with it, and my father and husband did test drive her and THEY both used it... and the both went over 4500 RMP's while using it (just for a small brief period - less than 30 seconds. My father drove it with the paddles and didn't shift a couple times (he thought it was on Automatic). Boy... hope I don't have any damage!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
tues... you posted as I was typing.. now I am breathing a sigh of relief about the sports button. Think my father ruined my engine though pushing the RPS's and not shifting for a minute??

Old 09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
mrwickham, mine too had a burning smell for a day or so... it's gone now.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
The owner's manual has a section on break in and doesn't mention not using the sport button. Just the rpm and mph caution.

Grace

Got to take the time to do the signature thing.... how did you all do the little badges etc????

Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
My car has finally arrived.

It came in late this afternoon. I'm scheduled for delivery Wednesday at 10:30 AM. I'm hoping to take it right away to the installer for Clear Bra, tint, and stripes and have it complete starting on Thursday.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
The title about says it all.

I arrived at the dealership about 2:00 p.m. Just as we were arriving, a technician was driving Phantom out of the service area. What a great way to see my car for the first time. Beautiful! My wife and I spent a few minutes settling the paperwork, and then my MA spent close to 90 minutes going over the manuals, the car, and answering my questions. I purchased a set of mud flaps to have installed later this week (by my local mechanic), and I was on my way about 4:00 p.m. It took a few minutes to get used to the feel of the car, but I had about a 45 mile drive home, so we (Phantom and me) had a nice time to get acquainted. So far, it's all wonderful. I'll do a more detailed first impression post later, but for now... no problems of any kind. Everything works perfectly... no rattles of any kind... the car feels very responsive and very solid.

Pictures are in my gallery. Hope you all like them. I'll post more, better ones another time.

Thanks for all the support through the waiting. Thanks for all the great ideas and advice from folks on NAM. And for those of you still waiting... hang in there... it is definitely worth it!
Congrats!!!

Originally Posted by mrwickham
My MINIs home as well. Looks like today is another homecoming day for week 32. So far so good, except the smell of some newly burning something

No rattles or heat issues. I quickly changed the plastic value tops for plastic mini value tops and swapped out the long antenne for a outmotoring short one. Much better. I'll post some pictures later tonight - as I need to set the garage door opener and radio stations.

My iphone comes up with the warning that this accessory is not meant for iphone, however the phone and music parts work well. However, "call number" doesn't quite understand my voice.

What else?? Too excited for words - got rubber floor mats especially after all the rain we got here today, speaking of which my mini's wash was horrible. Good thing I'lve got a Prima starter kit coming . Now I just need to find the time to learn everything and clean the vehicle.

No name yet, but I'm thinking of a vanity plate of "Blimey" as in the British "cor blimey" which translated means "wow" or "bloody hell" actually bloody hell works for anything in England, except an NE license plate

West coast those babies are coming and it will be great to hear about your homecomings. All the best - I'm off to play!!!!
Glad to hear your baby's home!!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
sikamini
6th Gear

It came in late this afternoon. I'm scheduled for delivery Wednesday at 10:30 AM. I'm hoping to take it right away to the installer for Clear Bra, tint, and stripes and have it complete starting on Thursday.
Congrats, glad to hear your MINI will be ready soon!!!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group