1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 PM
memorymom
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm New Here

Hello week 32 owners,
I just figured out about this web site and was anxious to post some words about my new Laser Blue Clubman S. I just picked it up on Saturday. I have been waiting for it for ever. I ordered it back on June 3rd. So I have been plenty patient. I followed it over on the Maresk Wind and counted the days until the dealer called. Finally the call came last Monday but we couldn't get to the dealer until Saturday. I figured if I waited almost 4 months for it a couples of days wouldn't matter. But oh, how I wanted to go and visit it, but it was too far for a quick trip.
I don't know the proper protocal to join your thread so I hope it's okay if I just jumped right in.
I'd show pics. but I don't know how to do any of the fancy stuff I've seen on here with the tags and pictures.
So any help or feed back to help me get started or any questions I should answer about my car just let me know

Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by memorymom
I don't know the proper protocal to join your thread so I hope it's okay if I just jumped right in.
Good enough! Welcome to NAM!

I'm off to bed so I won't get into helping you with pics just yet. Any other questions, stories, etc., please feel free to post!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
Oh, non trip related, but I've also been playing with the auto tranny in manual mode. I think it will be great for in-town driving. In manual, the transmission downshifts only to second when one comes to a stop at a traffic light. That allows taking off in second gear, and I find that I can safely upshift at lower rpms than the auto tranny does. I think that will help my gas mileage. Anyone else with an automatic had any experience with manual mode?
I've been playing around with it, just 'cause it's fun, but don't have much to offer. There's actually a thread going in the Clubman forum that touches on this -- I guess some people are getting better mileage doing exactly as you suggest. Plus, again, it's fun!

sikamini -- very glad to know that you (and others here caught in the path of Ike) are all right!

Keep on motoring,

-Will

Old 09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
I'd show pics. but I don't know how to do any of the fancy stuff I've seen on here with the tags and pictures.
So any help or feed back to help me get started or any questions I should answer about my car just let me know
welcome, memorymom! Congratulations on getting your car and finding NAM. Don't worry about protocol - just share your thoughts, experiences, and impressions. A lot of people here have been sharing first day impressions, likes/dislikes, and any specific problems, if any, either with the car, the dealership, or anything else. That's a good start! As for posting pictures: just click the button below the form where you post called "Manage Attachments". After that, browse to your picture on your own computer and load it. After you successfully load it, close the window and you will get back to your post. When you click "Submit Reply", you will see a thumbnail version of the picture on your post which other people can click on and see a larger representation of the picture. There's another way of posting a link to a larger picture directly on your post but that requires that you have the picture hosted somewhere else.

Welcome again!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello week 32 owners,
I just figured out about this web site and was anxious to post some words about my new Laser Blue Clubman S. I just picked it up on Saturday. I have been waiting for it for ever. I ordered it back on June 3rd. So I have been plenty patient. I followed it over on the Maresk Wind and counted the days until the dealer called. Finally the call came last Monday but we couldn't get to the dealer until Saturday. I figured if I waited almost 4 months for it a couples of days wouldn't matter. But oh, how I wanted to go and visit it, but it was too far for a quick trip.
Congrats and welcome!!! There is a how to tread on photos on NAM, how ever it maybe easier to upload into your "gallery". Have you looked at the your "user CP" yet?

Last edited by sikamini; 09-23-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Phantom and I are back from Virginia. Total trip was about 925 miles from this past Friday through today. I went from Ohio to Virgina, through the mountains of West Virginia and western Virginia. Here are observations, impressions, and stats from the trip.

1. First mileage... Started with 185 miles on the odometer. After about 75 miles of highway driving, filled the tank - 8.209 gals (Shell 93). I had 260 miles on the car. Computer said I was averaging 34.2 mpg; hand calculation was 31.7. This was about 60% city; 40% highway miles. Filled up again yesterday after adding another 470 miles (12.926 gals). Computer said 38.2 mpg, but hand calculation is 36.4 mpg. (It seems that the reports I've read that the computer is about 2 mpg high are correct for Phantom.) Oh, this was almost all highway driving (avg speed of 55.4 mph). I returned home late this afternoon. As of now the computer shows 434 miles since yesterday's fillup, and avg of 43.5 mpg (avg speed of 61.5 mph). I can say that I'm very happy with the mileage so far.
2. The gas gauge is inconsistent as others have noted. Today it took almost 100 miles for he first light to go out, then about 75 miles for the second one. They are slow to go out at first, but later they go a lot faster. The 2 times I've filled up the computer estimated that I had just over a 500 mile cruising range.
3. HIFI system seems to work well, with the radio and with my iPod. For my taste, the sound is just fine, and I can even hear it pretty well with the sunroof cracked. It's nice to be able to control the volume from the steering wheel. I also like the FMA band on the radio. As I would go through various cities, I could automatically tune in the strongest local stations.
4. I'm enjoying all the computer readouts and computations. Remember that I've been driving a 19 yr old Honda up to now, so this is all new stuff for me. I like being able to check my mpg instantly and see how certain driving styles affect it.
5. I have used Prima products to detail Phantom, and I'm very pleased with them. Once I got to my Mom's in Virginia, I washed Phantom with Mystique and then used Hydro when I dried it. With a base coat of Epic, it was very easy to wash - even all the bugs on the front. Since then, I've used Clarity and Slick for quick touchups, and they are great. Very easy to keep Phantom clean if you just do a little at the time. I plan to do another wash and Hydro this weekend.
6. I like how the windshield wipers slow down then you come to stop.
7. I don't care for orange dash lights, but have no choice about it. I keep the brightness level pretty low, so that keeps the "mood" lighting so low it almost undetectable. I wish that didn't happen. I'd like to have the "mood" lighting brighter and the dash lights dim.
8. The regular headlights are fine for me. I didn't want to pay for Xenons and I'm glad I didn't. I don't drive in the dark country anyway, but I did try the bright headlights briefly and they are great (if needed). The front foglights really light up the road just ahead, too.
9. Though I only used it briefly, the cruise control worked very well.
10. Sad to say, I only saw one other MINI the entire trip, and that was on a 2-lane road in WV. It was in a long line of traffic coming toward me, and I just caught a glimpse of it as it went by. Where are the other MINIs?!?!

Oh, non trip related, but I've also been playing with the auto tranny in manual mode. I think it will be great for in-town driving. In manual, the transmission downshifts only to second when one comes to a stop at a traffic light. That allows taking off in second gear, and I find that I can safely upshift at lower rpms than the auto tranny does. I think that will help my gas mileage. Anyone else with an automatic had any experience with manual mode?

Happy to be back. Nice to hear from sikimini, too. There are still many people in Ohio who don't have power (since Sunday a week ago).
Great report! With everything concerning Ike going on I haven't had the time to explore the computer very much. I'll have to check into my gas mileage!
Brought Hilla to the dealership to install her carbon fiber rear diffuser yesterday, and got a nice wave from a MINI - she pulled up next to us and gave us a grin and a wave! Before that on Sunday, a Cooper S pulls up to us at a light and signals for me to roll down the window. He wanted to know if Hilla was one of the new factory JCW and how fast she would go. I told him the spec, but that Hilla was still in the "break in miles". I think he was an Austin Powers fan - yeah, cool baby - cool!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
A wave this morning

I finally saw another MINI this morning on the way to work. It was one I hadn't seen before - 100% CR. Those are nice looking cars. Anyway, I waved and got a wave back. Nice!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:07 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
There are still many people in Ohio who don't have power (since Sunday a week ago).
Sorry to hear that - we have many electrical worker from northern states working on Houston and all the surrounding areas. Close to 40 percent of the Houston area is still without power. Ike was a big nasty storm - everywhere I go I see damage to buildings from roofs to major structural damage. I saw a an office building ( about 5 - 8 stories ) with two corners of the building totally gone - and it wasn't the glazing portion. On highways you may find a 2x4 or other junk from the storm or from trucks hauling trash. Really not safe!! I hope Ohio gets her power back soon - and thank you for all the help!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Welcome memorymom! That was a long wait indeed, glad your baby is home now!!

Phantom, thanks for the great report!! I have played with the auto tranny too and it looks like the mileage gets better on the highway putting it in 6 gear - but I am not sure.. or have that much knowledge in it! In the city using it - I keep forgetting to shift!! so I decided I better not mess too much with it!!

I have notice SO MANY more MINI's in my area... well, not a ton, but I know of 7 others in our area. A few months back I never saw hardly any!! I didn't think I would se as many as I am because the closest dealer is a good 1½ hour way.

So my husbands Clubbie is on the ship! It will arrive to the VDC on 10/8 and probably get to the dealers on the 10th ... and we'll be away on vacation!!!! It doesn't matter to my husband.. he is so patient, I would be insane.. but it's not my car so I don't care either!

Sikamini, glad to hear you are at least out and about and able to drive Hilla.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Hello week 32 owners,
Hey there memorymom,

Welcome to NAM and the "famous" Week 32 thread. Please post pics of your new baby as soon as you have a chance. I think I have all I need for the Week 32 member list, except the roof/mirror color (and name?) of your MINI. I have your screen name, your location, and the fact that you have a MCCS in LB. I will be posting an update to the member list tonight or tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I have played with the auto tranny too and it looks like the mileage gets better on the highway putting it in 6 gear - but I am not sure.. or have that much knowledge in it! In the city using it - I keep forgetting to shift!! so I decided I better not mess too much with it!!
Tinker... that is the problem, remembering to shift manually, especially if you are not accustomed to a manual transmission. I've been driving a manual, so it's not too hard for me (but I still forget sometimes - take off from a light and realize when the revs get to about 4000 that I'm still in second gear). I will continue to play with it. And the auto should get you to 6th gear on the highway normally - though you cannot tell, that's what gear you are in most of time on the highway. I was able to drive in 6th in town as long as I was going over about 40 mph (on level ground). I did discover that at least in the MC (no turbo) the auto would not keep me in 6th gear while going over mountains at any reasonable speed.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Roadtrip and Phantom, THANKS so much for your offers to help my photochallenged computer (and its operator ) I'll take Phantom up on the offer since he's got a Mac. You guys are the greatest!!

Hello week 32 owners,
I just figured out about this web site and was anxious to post some words about my new Laser Blue Clubman S. )
Welcome memorymom! Woohoo, another Laser Blue Clubman! Aren't you loving it.... just makes me smile everytime I see that brilliant blue. Can't be sad driving something that bright around can you! Tell us more about your car.

but I still forget sometimes - take off from a light and realize when the revs get to about 4000 that I'm still in second gear). I will continue to play with it. And the auto should get you to 6th gear on the highway normally - though you cannot tell, that's what gear you are in most of time on the highway.
Guess we're all getting to the point where we're venturing into the nooks and crannies of our cars. I finally started exploring the sport button and manual this weekend. I don't like the fact that the car won't shift into 6th when in Sport mode so whenever I'm in Sport, I'm also in Manual so I can do the upshifts more to my liking.
The accelerator hesitation of taking off in 2nd gear when in nonsport was driving me batty, so I've sort of settled on doing the upshifts myself when around town, finding first gear if I'm stopped and then upshifting but letting it do the downshifting pretty much on its own. Found I get smoother transitions when I do it myself and start out in first.
I'm used to standards, but am having to retrain myself since its just so different. I think Sport will be something that I'll mostly do when on my own as it may be too much of a rocket ride for passengers!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
I'm used to standards, but am having to retrain myself since its just so different. I think Sport will be something that I'll mostly do when on my own as it may be too much of a rocket ride for passengers!
*pets his standard gearbox*

Seriously though, I bet some passengers wouldn't mind the sporty ride. I feel like the few times I've had other riders (besides my gf), they get pretty excited when I start driving more "spiritedly".

Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
The accelerator hesitation of taking off in 2nd gear when in nonsport was driving me batty, so I've sort of settled on doing the upshifts myself when around town, finding first gear if I'm stopped and then upshifting but letting it do the downshifting pretty much on its own. Found I get smoother transitions when I do it myself and start out in first.
Funny, but I like the manual more in my MC because I get some hesitation taking off in 1st gear. Mine is very smooth taking off in 2nd - and the fact that when in manual mode the tranny only downshifts to 2nd is a plus while driving in town from traffic light to traffic light.

I haven't tried the sport button, yet, but will soon. I'm up to about 1100 miles on the odometer now. Maybe this weekend...

Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Funny, but I like the manual more in my MC because I get some hesitation taking off in 1st gear. Mine is very smooth taking off in 2nd - and the fact that when in manual mode the tranny only downshifts to 2nd is a plus while driving in town from traffic light to traffic light.

I haven't tried the sport button, yet, but will soon. I'm up to about 1100 miles on the odometer now. Maybe this weekend...
I've been using the Sport button pretty much full time since I got it. It shouldn't affect break-in since all it does is remap the throttle and tighten the steering. I like it because it brings the JCW a tad closer to the response of my M3.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I've been using the Sport button pretty much full time since I got it. It shouldn't affect break-in since all it does is remap the throttle and tighten the steering. I like it because it brings the JCW a tad closer to the response of my M3.
+1. Vroom!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
WhiteLightning08
2nd Gear
Hello again fellow Week-32ers! I wanted to share that I finally came up with a name for the new Mini.

Flash!

It has a story - my tennis instructor throughout high school (side note - his name is Lance Armstrong, but not the cyclist!) called me Flash because I didn't like to run to save a shot. He would hit the tennis ***** to the far left and far right and make me run fast to them then side-step back to the center. He taught me... Really, he was a fabulous instructor! My husband even teases me now with that name when I'm not being quick enough in a tennis game with him.

The other connection is that my "S" model is zippy and fast - like a flash of lightnin'!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning08
Hello again fellow Week-32ers! I wanted to share that I finally came up with a name for the new Mini.

Flash!

It has a story - my tennis instructor throughout high school (side note - his name is Lance Armstrong, but not the cyclist!) called me Flash because I didn't like to run to save a shot. He would hit the tennis ***** to the far left and far right and make me run fast to them then side-step back to the center. He taught me... Really, he was a fabulous instructor! My husband even teases me now with that name when I'm not being quick enough in a tennis game with him.

The other connection is that my "S" model is zippy and fast - like a flash of lightnin'!
Nice choice! Is Flash a boy or girl?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Love the name Flash! Esp with the Whitelighting forum name. RE boy vs girl: One good thing about owning a boy Mini is that Bluetooth voice is perfect. My husband says it reminds him of Hal in 2001 Space Odyssey and expects to hear "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...."

It may be because of the difference in S vs Justa. I had a loaner Justacooper (a pretty BRG!) when Bernard was in for his overnight getting the invisishield. It didn't have the "sticky" feeling slow accelerator problem in automatic non sport nearly as bad as the what I feel with the S.

It still felt plenty peppy and I was questioning my decision to get the S after having it for 24 hours. Also I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know that you could have the sport button on the Justa until after I had ordered.

Grace

Old 09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Updated Week 32 Members List

Here's the first update. Now alphabetized. Changes or additions to: wgrzanic, memorymom, kechman8, rtwerk222, Globalvet, and WhiteLightning08. Send changes and updates to me via PM. I'll post another updated list next week.

Week 32 Support Group Members:

amgkid .... ?????,? .... Trogdor (MCS MY/B)
Bemmerondubs .... Miami, Fl .... Luigi (MCS DS/B)
BR55 .... ?????, ? .... ???? (MC PW/??)
Calmante .... Fall River, MA .... Ian (MC BRG/W)
Chugiakgirl .... Omaha, NE .... Black Rook (MCS AB/W)
denstep57 .... Bremerton, WA .... ???? (MCS MY/W)
Doc_Cooper .... Playa Vista, CA .... ???? (MCS AB/AB)
ephotodfw .... Grand Prairie, TX .... Zazu (MCCS DS/B)
finaddict .... ?????, WA .... ???? (JCW PW/PW)
gbsim .... Port Hudson, LA .... Bernard (MCCS LB/S)
Globalvet .... Portland, OR .... Lil Red (JCWC CR/B)
h8w8in .... Dallas(Corinth),TX .... ???? (MCS LB/LB)
jessitron .... San Diego, CA .... ???? (??? AB/??)
jimj .... Fremont, CA .... ???? (JCWC SS/S)
kechman8 .... San Mateo, CA .... Trooper (MCCSa PW/B)
k3imibbg .... Jacksonville, FL .... (MCC SS/B) - never posted to Week 32 thread
LaurenC .... ?????, ? .... "Mine" (MCS LiB/W)
LBMCS702 .... Las Vegas, NV .... ???? (MCS LB/W)
loesches .... Eppstein, GA .... ???? (JCWC PW/B)
memorymom .... Rancho Cucamonga, CA .... ???? (MCCS LB/??)
minilovejoy .... Madison, CT .... Luigi (MC BRG/B)
Mrwickham .... Omaha, NE .... ???? (MCS AB/AB)
msvic .... ?????, ? .... ???? (MCS LB/B)
MWhinnery .... Fairborn, OH .... Mary Minica (MCCS LB/W)
NJWilliam .... Hamilton, NJ .... (MCS CR/B) - never posted to Week 32 thread
PhantomMC .... Dayton, OH .... Phantom (MCa PS/PS)
plutch .... Seattle, WA .... ???? (MCS DS/W)
RaceTripper .... St. Louis, MO .... "My Car" (JCW CR/W)
Reldieh .... ?????, ? .... Darth Small (MCCS DS/B)
rjvegas .... Las Vegas, NV .... ???? (??? ??/??)
RoadTrip2 .... New Melle, MO .... Fergie (MCS CR/CR)
rtwerk222 .... North Ogden, UT .... WALL-E (MCS DS/W)
Satang .... ?????, CA .... ???? (MCS CR/B)
sikamini .... Houston, TX .... Hilla (JCW MY/MY)
tancred .... Omaha, NE .... Tancred (MCC CR/B)
tinker_06 .... Venice, FL .... Lucy (MCSa PW/B)
Tu13es .... Hudson, NH .... ???? (JCW LaB/B)
twieland .... Omaha, NE .... ???? (MCCSa PW/B)
wgrzanic .... Chicago, IL .... Bondy (MCSa DS/B)
WhiteLightning08 .... Plano, TX .... Flash (MCSa PW/B)
woohoo .... DC .... Stanley (MCS AB/??)
Zouzouetmoi .... Houston, TX .... ???? (MCCS PW/B)

Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Just finished changing my oil. Piece of cake. Put four and a half quarts of lovely Royal Purple in and it is good to go.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
MEMORYMOM - Welcome to the Mighty Motoring 32nd.
Sikamini - welcome back!
First tank of gas = 30.5 mpg, system computer indicated 31.5
Drove up our local canyon this afternoon, WOWZER! - permagrin fer sure!
Voice Dialing still won't work 95% of the time
351 miles and we have yet to see another MINI
MINI NUVI Nav unit to be installed later this week, excited
Other than the voice dialing, we couldn't be more pleased!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
plutch
2nd Gear
I am officially jealous. I tried to not visit the site, but I wanted to see what all of your cars looked like. My car may or may not be at the VDC. I am hoping to pick it up in the next 10-12 days. This is taking forever.....

Old 09-23-2008, 07:28 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rtwerk222
First tank of gas = 30.5 mpg, system computer indicated 31.5...
You folks just aren't standing on the throttle hard enough. Put that bad boy in Sport, pull the seat closer, and get that throttle planted to the floor.

I'm getting about 25 MPG, but I'm having fun. I just have to make that JCW exhaust burp and backfire and burble....

If I throw it in sixth and settle in for a highway cruise I get around 36 MPG.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
New pics

Just posted some new pics of Phantom in my gallery - actually 2 new albums. One contains some pics of Phantom next to my Dad's 2004 New Beetle. He bought that car when he decided (at age 75) that he no longer needed a big Chevy truck. I think it was a reversion to an earlier time. I grew up with an old Beetle - first car I drove back in my younger days. Anyway, my Dad passed away earlier this year, and my Mom is going to sell the Beetle soon. I had to get some pics with Phantom first. I think my Dad would have been pleased with my new car, and would have liked seeing it next to his Beetle. I miss him.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group