1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jessitron
What method did you use to debadge? I will tackle this chore soon, I like a smooth tail end as well...but I tried using dental floss on my sisters Mercedes, and it didn't work, with makes me think we should invest in some fishing wire? Was is easy to work the glue off?

I too am looking forward to spending all my $$ on this car, and I haven't even made my first car payment!
I can't say for the MINI, but on my last car I used a little fishing wire and a hairdryer to warm up the glue. Might need a little Goo Gone to get rid of the gunk. Don't forget to wax it after!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jessitron
What method did you use to debadge? I will tackle this chore soon, I like a smooth tail end as well...but I tried using dental floss on my sisters Mercedes, and it didn't work, with makes me think we should invest in some fishing wire? Was is easy to work the glue off?

I too am looking forward to spending all my $$ on this car, and I haven't even made my first car payment!
I tried dental floss and fishing line. The dental floss didn't work. The fishing line worked, however I wasn't prepared for it to constantly break. Once I figured out that I would be using one or two pieces per letter it was easy. Just get 6 inches of line and gently saw back and forth close to the plastic letter rather than the actual car. It will break; grab another 6 inches of line and just keep going. 5 to 10 minutes is all you should need.

You will be left with double side tape with foam in between. I was able to simply use my dry finger and rub at the edge and then peal the rest off normally in one go.

Hope this helps. I love the look. I'll post some images tonight.

After that I just cleaned, wax and buffed - looks just like the other side.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mrwickham
I tried dental floss and fishing line. The dental floss didn't work. The fishing line worked, however I wasn't prepared for it to constantly break. Once I figured out that I would be using one or two pieces per letter it was easy. Just get 6 inches of line and gently saw back and forth close to the plastic letter rather than the actual car. It will break; grab another 6 inches of line and just keep going. 5 to 10 minutes is all you should need.

You will be left with double side tape with foam in between. I was able to simply use my dry finger and rub at the edge and then peal the rest off normally in one go.

Hope this helps. I love the look. I'll post some images tonight.

After that I just cleaned, wax and buffed - looks just like the other side.
Were you heating it up with a hair dryer? Makes the gooey stuff much easier to remove.

In other news, I got my MINI Adventure Field Kit in the mail today.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
mrwickham, yes - post those pictures!!

Tu13es, you received your MINI Adventure Field Kit!! I was reading that it took some people MONTHS!! If you get a chance, list (or pictures) of what you received!!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
mrwickham, yes - post those pictures!!

Tu13es, you received your MINI Adventure Field Kit!! I was reading that it took some people MONTHS!! If you get a chance, list (or pictures) of what you received!!
There's a thread about it which I think has pics. Got a pen, notebook, mousepad, window stickers, antenna ball, and a couple other small things.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
Were you heating it up with a hair dryer? Makes the gooey stuff much easier to remove.

In other news, I got my MINI Adventure Field Kit in the mail today.

No hairdryer needed. Really this is a very very simple mod. Scrap the top layer of the tape near the letters with fishing line and then rub, clean, and wax.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
2 Mods

Here's a couple of images from my iphone. Sorry about the quality but you should get the idea.
The first one is the gominigo "Give me a brake" mod which turns fog lights into brake lights (they also have a kit if you don't have fog lights).
The second image is my smooth rear after I removed the Cooper S badge.

Attached Thumbnails Week 32 Support Group-img_0143.jpg   Week 32 Support Group-img_0145.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
Chugiakgirl and jessitron:

Welcome back! Thanks for the pics, too. I've updated your information on the Week 32 Support Group member list. I won't publish a new version until I have a few more updates.
Cool! Thanks!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Here's a couple of images from my iphone. Sorry about the quality but you should get the idea.
The first one is the gominigo "Give me a brake" mod which turns fog lights into brake lights (they also have a kit if you don't have fog lights).
The second image is my smooth rear after I removed the Cooper S badge.
Cool mod! I'm not sure about removing my Cooper S badge though. I kinda like it.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
jessitron
1st Gear
Thanks for the debadging tips! I'll have to give it a whirl once I get my package from detailers paradise. I think it will make cleaning a lot easier, I seem to always get my California duster stuck there (yes, I'm too lazy to go around). Best part about that mod...it's FREE!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
The debadged does have a nice clean look. I like it - but like chugiakgirl, I also like the look of my cooper s badge.

mrwickham, I really like that 'give me a brake'. was it hard to install? can you still turn on your fog lights and if so - what happens if they are on and you brake... I assume it stays on as fog lights and your normal brakes just go on.

So I gave Lucy a nice bath, dried her with Hydro (I am almost out of Hydro!!) and I finished her up by applying a coat of Banana Gloss. She is looking very pretty! I'll be leaving her parked in our garage for a week alone as we head out Sunday for our 7 night cruise!!

My husbands new CR/B JCW Clubby arrives to the VDC on the 8th!! So no doubt it will be sitting at the dealers waiting for him to pick-up just as we return. They reduced the trade in value of our 4 Runner.. it's a 2007 limited - loaded, and was $39,000+ and they are giving us $19,000 - OUCH!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
They reduced the trade in value of our 4 Runner.. it's a 2007 limited - loaded, and was $39,000+ and they are giving us $19,000 - OUCH!!!
And people give me weird looks when I tell them I sold my car privately rather than trading it in. Even got more than KBB on it.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
yeah, we almost always sell our cars and not trade them in. You take a killing on trading in. More of a pain, but certainly worth it! The one thing though that helped, is that by trading it in (in Florida) the new car's price is reduced by the trade-in car, and we only pay sales tax on the balance. If we sold it and purchased new - the whole amount would be charged sales tax.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 AM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
The debadged does have a nice clean look. I like it - but like chugiakgirl, I also like the look of my cooper s badge.

mrwickham, I really like that 'give me a brake'. was it hard to install? can you still turn on your fog lights and if so - what happens if they are on and you brake... I assume it stays on as fog lights and your normal brakes just go on.
The give me a brake wasn't hard to do. Although I had problems at first trying to remove the lights (stupid user error). Basically you receive a wire with connectors (attach one connectors to the yellow wire of the brake light and put the other end of the wire and connect to black wire of the fog light. Dave of gominigo is absolutely wonderful to work with. I had a stupid user question Saturday night and he emailed me back even though he was currently camping!! Great support - even gave me times to call him if I needed.

You are correct in your assumption. The fog lights work normally with this mod, they are obviously brighter than in brake "mode". So you do everything as you normally would, just happy knowing that a couple of extra lights are warning people to give you a little space.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Another Gominigo option

I checked the Gominigo website and another option they have that's interesting is a little circuit that makes your third brake light (the one at the top) flash when you step on the brake (even two versions - one for those who drive in bumper to bumper traffic and those who don't). Seems like an easy install, too. Just another option for those who want to slow down the tailgaters.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:52 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Well my last addition arrived today (two days after it was purchased)
So I just added my whelan shift **** - love it.

Installing it was not as bad as I had read in others postings. I first removed the boot from it's base and then pulled the ****. A couple of tugs and up it came. After turning the boot inside out I was able with a flat head screwdriver to twist the black ring over the plastic bottom of the ****. Whelan's shift **** goes on so easy and locks in place. It's just a beautiful thing. Looking forward to the drive tomorrow as always, but this time it will be to test out the new ****!! Oh my whelan shift **** is brushed metal with the Union Jack and the MINI symbol in the middle.

This weekend is cleanup time, so I'm planning on updating my gallery with new shots of all the enhancements. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a vacuum cleaner? My wife's dyson is great - just a little big.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I love my car.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
This weekend is cleanup time, so I'm planning on updating my gallery with new shots of all the enhancements. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a vacuum cleaner? My wife's dyson is great - just a little big.
I have a shopvac from Sears that works great. Just rolls around the garage floor, and has a long flexible pipe with good tools (for upholstry and to get into crevices) that easily reaches everywhere inside the car. Plenty of suction, too.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:43 AM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Got my First wave yesterday from a lady in a chocolate brown clubman. Also, last week I was walking to my car from work- I have to walk like half a mile. And I work on a college campus so there are a good number of minis as one might expect and there was a pepper white cooper right next to my S. Except they didnt park very nicely.
I have to get in the habit of not pulling all the way into the parking spot so people dont think the space is empty and run into my back end.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Tennis?

I've noticed that there are at least 4 MINI owners at the small tennis club where I play in the summer. That's a very high percentage of MINIs, based on the few MINIs I've seen around town. So, are there any other tennis players among our Week 32ers? Those who play regularly?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I saw two MINIs today and got to waves back! One of them I saw yesterday and waved, but he didn't wave back. He did today!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=tinker_06;2490058]The debadged does have a nice clean look. I like it - but like chugiakgirl, I also like the look of my cooper s badge.
/QUOTE]

I like my badges too! Then again I cluttered up my back window this weekend with a decal for my son's college!

I checked the Gominigo website and another option they have that's interesting is a little circuit that makes your third brake light (the one at the top) flash when you step on the brake (even two versions - one for those who drive in bumper to bumper traffic and those who don't). Seems like an easy install, too. Just another option for those who want to slow down the tailgaters.
I'd love to have this, but the Clubman only has ONE rear fog.... weird isn't it!

Well my last addition arrived today (two days after it was purchased)
So I just added my whelan shift **** - love it.......
What is a whelan ****?? Pictures?

I've noticed that there are at least 4 MINI owners at the small tennis club where I play in the summer. That's a very high percentage of MINIs, based on the few MINIs I've seen around town. So, are there any other tennis players among our Week 32ers? Those who play regularly?
No, I'm a horseback rider (that's the reason for my other vehicle being the 3500 Chevy truck) and gardener!

Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Has anyone considered/installed the gominigo license plate bracket kit? Do you think it is an ugly placement, on the side of the front? I would like to keep the front end license plate free, but am thinking of getting this kit in order to avoid holes and a fix it ticket (which I've gotten before on a previous car).

Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LaurenC
Got my First wave yesterday from a lady in a chocolate brown clubman. Also, last week I was walking to my car from work- I have to walk like half a mile. And I work on a college campus so there are a good number of minis as one might expect and there was a pepper white cooper right next to my S. Except they didnt park very nicely.
I have to get in the habit of not pulling all the way into the parking spot so people dont think the space is empty and run into my back end.
It's a nice feeling to get a wave. Since the first week of ownership, I haven't gotten any love from other owners!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Glad I don't have to have a front plate!!

Parking.... I have never been so careful about where I park as I am now. I purposely park away from other cars and walk. HOWEVER, it almost never fails that some jerk with some crappy old, beat up truck or car that they obviously care nothing about - parks right next to me!! I just don't understand it!! So I decided to start parking on end spots - that will leave only one car the option to park next to me. I pull in TIGHT to the curb, leaving a nice big gap between me and the white line, but without fail - some jerk decided to park carelessly and goes over the white line into MY space!!! I am not a violent person... but it makes me feel like scratching THEIR cars!!!! This is really irking me.

There is one red mini around.. she won't wave back or even acknowledge Lucy at all. I give up on her trying to get involved. Guess she bought her's because it is good on gas. Haven't had any other mini's around to wave at, but I am guessing there are at least 10 in our town.

Anyone else besides Tu13es get there Mini Adventure Kit? Still waiting for mine!

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group