1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
What are you JCW folks doing about a winter setup?

I've pretty much decided I'm going with a non-runflat all-season setup. TireRack has the Kumho Exta AST 215/45/17 for $89 each. A friend in the local MINI car club has them and gave a thumbs up approval. Besides, they are one of the ALMS tire suppliers so I'm supporting a sponsor of the sport I love.
I changed my mind on the tires. I'm spending a bit more and getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. Next year I plan to get a set of lightweight rims and R compounds for track use.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I changed my mind on the tires. I'm spending a bit more and getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. Next year I plan to get a set of lightweight rims and R compounds for track use.
Cool.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Which rims are you looking at?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
I'm liking the OZ Racing Alleggerita HLT, but they're pricey. We'll see.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:43 AM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Thanks great pics , beautiful scenery! Are the snow plow markers on the roads already - the skinny poles - or are they a year round thing at higher elevations?
Glad you like the pics - it's beautiful out there anytime of year. The snow plow markers are up year round on Trail Ridge. The road is is closed from November through the end of May when they clear it again for summer and early fall. They are expecting 1 to 3 feet of snow this weekend, so it is coming in early this year. I'm not sure how much longer Trail Ridge Road will stay open.

Regarding the Week 32er badges/decals - I received an e-mail from Ed at Cooper Flags indicating they are in the mail. Hope to have them in a couple of days. I'll kee report on them when they arrive.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Wow, you and I have the exact same number of posts (well, I'll be up by one with this post).

Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RoadTrip2
Glad you like the pics - it's beautiful out there anytime of year. The snow plow markers are up year round on Trail Ridge. The road is is closed from November through the end of May when they clear it again for summer and early fall. They are expecting 1 to 3 feet of snow this weekend, so it is coming in early this year. I'm not sure how much longer Trail Ridge Road will stay open.

Regarding the Week 32er badges/decals - I received an e-mail from Ed at Cooper Flags indicating they are in the mail. Hope to have them in a couple of days. I'll kee report on them when they arrive.

Have a great weekend everyone!

That's just too beautiful for words. I guess winter trips are out of the question!

Wow, you and I have the exact same number of posts (well, I'll be up by one with this post).
Yeah, you'll pass me up and I'll be sadly left behind! Loved the rims, they are a bit pricey though, but probably well worth it!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Oh, RaceTripper can I pilfer your John Cooper Works sig?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Oh, RaceTripper can I pilfer your John Cooper Works sig?
Sure. Someone else already did it.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Good morning!! We sure are a quiet bunch lately!! Hopefully, we can keep this thread ongoing. It's nice to hear how others are doing and stuff!!

gbsim, Bernard is handsome!!!! It sure is a lot of work, but the good thing once done, it doesn't have to be done again for a while, and they are so much better protected and look fantastic!!

I didn't go anywhere yesterday!! I have been running around all week, needed a down time! Friday though.. I was driving through a parking lot and there sat another PW/B MCS! It's the 2nd one in our city that I spotted the same color. I know there is also a black, MY and 2 CR's. I think my husband will be the first one with a clubman - as I have not seen one anywhere. Back to the PW/B I saw park.. it was dusty and dirty!! It didn't look nearly as nice as Lucy (if I must say so) but the color looked different. My husband actually thought it was a older model with a different paint color. It was much a much more darker cream... ??
Tinker is your husbands MINI in yet? Keeping MINI clean seems to make a lot of difference in their appearance.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Sure. Someone else already did it.
Thanks, I'll continue the tradition then!!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
I've been waving, and getting no love. My wife thinks I'm acting like an idiot doing it so much. I'm not waving anymore unless someone else waves first and I notice in time to return the wave.
Originally Posted by Tu13es
It took me probably a half dozen non-returned waves before I got one back. Don't give up!
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I know.. I feel a little foolish waving too and getting nothing back!! I'll keep trying for a while..
I wave and sometimes they wave back, must admit I've missed a couple of MINIs - I've been too busy going through the gears!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear
No winters here either!

I'll be taking Bernard on a 1,900 mile trip at the end of the month and so I guess I'll see whether the runflats are a literal pain! I am basically just too cheap to swap them out before they are worn out though. With our barn being totalled in the hurricane, I don't even have anyplace to store the runflats so they're staying on. When it's time for replacements, I'll be looking for advice.

Got my first chance to wave at another Mini, a shiny red MC. She was behind me after I pulled out onto a four lane. After a few minutes, I opened the sunroof and gave a wave through the roof and she grinned and waved back. We followed each other for about 12 miles. Looked neat together.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
I'll be taking Bernard on a 1,900 mile trip at the end of the month and so I guess I'll see whether the runflats are a literal pain!....
When I drove round trip to the Atlanta area (1200+ miles) the runflats were really a lot less comfortable than anything I've experienced. I had a M3 with 275/30/19 + 245/35/19 tires (i.e. very low profile) and a firmer suspension that was far more comfortable for long range driving.

Even if I didn't need something for winter months, I still would have gotten rid of the OEM runflats.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
No winters here either!

I'll be taking Bernard on a 1,900 mile trip at the end of the month and so I guess I'll see whether the runflats are a literal pain! I am basically just too cheap to swap them out before they are worn out though. With our barn being totalled in the hurricane, I don't even have anyplace to store the runflats so they're staying on. When it's time for replacements, I'll be looking for advice.

Got my first chance to wave at another Mini, a shiny red MC. She was behind me after I pulled out onto a four lane. After a few minutes, I opened the sunroof and gave a wave through the roof and she grinned and waved back. We followed each other for about 12 miles. Looked neat together.
They do the job for me, I personally don't have a problem with them, but my reference point may be different. I did every suspension option available for Hilla so she is pretty tight anyway. So far I have not noticed any effects that disturb me, but then I may not have the sensitivity to notice. I've only driven old cars and very old cars in comparison, so to me the run flats work great. I kinda like feeling the road as I go!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Morning everyone!! I'll probably take Hilla out for a highway outing today!! She gets very few highway miles, so I'll have to give her a little change. Maybe I'll have a chance for a couple of pics.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Morning everyone!! I'll probably take Hilla out for a highway outing today!! She gets very few highway miles, so I'll have to give her a little change. Maybe I'll have a chance for a couple of pics.
Have fun! What's the situation in the Houston area now? Still electrical outages? How goes the cleanup?

Most of the cleanup in my area of Ohio, following the wind on 9/14, is complete now. We are back to normal. And I'm loving the lower gasoline prices. Saw it as low as $2.94 yesterday (for 87 octane), but I've heard that it's even lower in some parts of town. I'm down about half a tank in Phantom now, driving the auto tranny in manual mode in town. Computer says I'm averaging about 35.4 mpg, but actual is probably a little lower than that.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:53 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
Have fun! What's the situation in the Houston area now? Still electrical outages? How goes the cleanup?

Most of the cleanup in my area of Ohio, following the wind on 9/14, is complete now. We are back to normal. And I'm loving the lower gasoline prices. Saw it as low as $2.94 yesterday (for 87 octane), but I've heard that it's even lower in some parts of town. I'm down about half a tank in Phantom now, driving the auto tranny in manual mode in town. Computer says I'm averaging about 35.4 mpg, but actual is probably a little lower than that.
We put in a small 130+ mile trip with Hilla, mostly on highways!
Most areas are normal by now, but the signs of Ike are still with us. There are still many highrises with plywood instead of glass, and signs of an on going clean up all around town. Most people in Houston have electricity, but in the Galveston area there is still extensive problems. Lots of blue tarps all around town, the country side looks like it faired better or is already cleaned up. Even there you can see buildings here and there with varying degrees of damage - mostly wind related.
Is Phantom done with the break in miles yet? Hilla just crossed the 900 mile mark today.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:34 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Is Phantom done with the break in miles yet? Hilla just crossed the 900 mile mark today.
Yes, I have about 1500 miles on him now. Got most of it several weekends ago when I did a 900 mile roundtrip to VA to visit my mom. The past couple of weeks Phantom has just been my everyday driver, so not many miles. I drive about 22 miles roundtrip to work, so unless I go somewhere else, I put less than 100 miles per week on the odometer.

Next weekend I hope to be able to make a trip to Columbus, OH, to visit my son, and to visit Outmotoring to look at some cosmetic mods for Phantom. The biggest one I'm considering is the JCW black upper grill (to replace the chrome one on the MC). Nice to be able to visit them instead of ordering over the phone or internet.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
I drive about 22 miles roundtrip to work, so unless I go somewhere else, I put less than 100 miles per week on the odometer.

Next weekend I hope to be able to make a trip to Columbus, OH, to visit my son, and to visit Outmotoring to look at some cosmetic mods for Phantom. The biggest one I'm considering is the JCW black upper grill (to replace the chrome one on the MC). Nice to be able to visit them instead of ordering over the phone or internet.
Same problem here, I need to invent reasons to add mileage. I usually drive around 20 miles a day too. We were just thinking that we need to plan a couple of day trips to add mileage now that the roads seem to be cleaner.
The JCW black grill looks great, I think it would fit Phantom well, go for it - but, it's best to look at in person.
Hilla's seats are wonderful, in recent years when I would take a similar trip my lower back would be sore the next day - today I feel great!! I did have to work pretty hard to keep her in the speed limit range, 65 turns to 75 pretty fast when your cruising along. I won't try the cruise control until I have the break in miles done, I want to keep the revs changing.
What other mods are you planning for Phantom?

Old 10-12-2008, 02:18 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Bernard is up to 1,100 miles which has surprised me. I keep thinking now that my kids are gone, that I'm driving less. But since we're 10 miles from any type of store, business etc, everytime I leave home it's at least a 20 mile trip.

I received my cocomats from cocomats.com and am thrilled. If anyone is considering them I'd give them a thumbs up.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I'm torn on whether or not to start blacking things out on mine. Before I took delivery I was dead set on blacking out everything. Seeing it in person, however, I kind of like the chrome. Maybe I'll just hold off until I really get bored with it before I go spending more money. :P

Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I'm torn on whether or not to start blacking things out on mine. Before I took delivery I was dead set on blacking out everything. Seeing it in person, however, I kind of like the chrome. Maybe I'll just hold off until I really get bored with it before I go spending more money. :P
I like the chrome that is stock. The only thing I'm considering is getting a white gas cap to match the roof.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
What other mods are you planning for Phantom?
Not much really. Just cosmetic stuff. I plan to keep the car for a long time (drove my last one for 19 years, but then, it was a Honda). So, in addition to the JCW black grill, stubby antenna, boot mat, glove box organizer, maybe the protective strip on the back bumper. I want to keep it simple, inexpensive, and as "stock" as possible because I believe that will make it easier to maintain through the years. Hope I'm right about that. It will be mostly just my daily driver. I expect to put no more than 10,000 miles on it a year (based on past experience). Any suggestions for other things I should consider?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Bernard is up to 1,100 miles which has surprised me. I keep thinking now that my kids are gone, that I'm driving less. But since we're 10 miles from any type of store, business etc, everytime I leave home it's at least a 20 mile trip.

I received my cocomats from cocomats.com and am thrilled. If anyone is considering them I'd give them a thumbs up.
We just took short trip to East Bernard for barbecue and kolaches, Hilla just hit the 1050 mile mark!

A dash of chrome looks great go with your gut!

I like the chrome that is stock. The only thing I'm considering is getting a white gas cap to match the roof.
The cap might look good in a white, and I agree the chrome looks good. I was a bit concerned about the chrome before we ordered Hilla, but after seeing it I don't have any reservations.

Not much really. Just cosmetic stuff. I plan to keep the car for a long time (drove my last one for 19 years, but then, it was a Honda). So, in addition to the JCW black grill, stubby antenna, boot mat, glove box organizer, maybe the protective strip on the back bumper. I want to keep it simple, inexpensive, and as "stock" as possible because I believe that will make it easier to maintain through the years. Hope I'm right about that. It will be mostly just my daily driver. I expect to put no more than 10,000 miles on it a year (based on past experience). Any suggestions for other things I should consider?
My goal too, my last car is 13 years old, but due for a permanent retirement! Simple is always good and if you change your mind you can always add to it. If you don't like it, you can put it back to the original condition. The boot mat is handy just tested it with a bag of kolaches and a foot long apple tart - no stains on the carpet! Floor mats are definitely a good idea and keep the carpet cleaner. You seem to have the list pretty much covered, if I come up with something I'll share. A small cleaning kit for emergency use would be good. You never know when your hundreds of miles away and fall pray to a flock of birds!
I don't think we'll put more than 10k per year either, the normal mileage plus maybe twice a month a small trip!

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group