1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all - just checking in for the weekend. We've been out and about so not much time to post. re: chrome. I'm digging the chrome trim and am actually thinking about getting the chrome hood scoop but am concerned about the melting problem so may hold off on that. On another note, has anyone considered getting clear bra protection for the A pillars and the top front of the roof? there's a kit avail from xpel.com that I'm considering. also one for the 'luggage' area ie the back top bumper. am thinking of installing those relatively flat areas myself. just curious if anyone has done those aread or considering them also. Lastly, Trooper has 1350 miles so am opening up the revs more finally! hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kechman8
Hi all - just checking in for the weekend. We've been out and about so not much time to post. re: chrome. I'm digging the chrome trim and am actually thinking about getting the chrome hood scoop but am concerned about the melting problem so may hold off on that. On another note, has anyone considered getting clear bra protection for the A pillars and the top front of the roof? there's a kit avail from xpel.com that I'm considering. also one for the 'luggage' area ie the back top bumper. am thinking of installing those relatively flat areas myself. just curious if anyone has done those aread or considering them also. Lastly, Trooper has 1350 miles so am opening up the revs more finally! hope everyone is having a nice weekend.
Great to hear from you! Having so much fun you barely have time to check in!
I've been wondering about the top of the back bumper, is that a hard ware area? I'd hate to start seeing any scratches there and did consider the rubber trim as an option.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
I don't think we'll put more than 10k per year either, the normal mileage plus maybe twice a month a small trip!
With my previous Suburbans, I usually put 25K or more a year on them. Have had several over 200,000 miles, I've learned that by that point, I'm more than ready to get a new one! I'm also a little worried about the lack of repair places for the Mini which might become a problem with higher mileage.

It will be interesting to see how the mileage is with Bernard. Living in the country racks up the miles, but I no longer have four sons to chauffeur around and follow to every school, scout, sporting or musical event known to man. The real acid test will be our trip at the end of the month. If we find it uncomfortable for a 15 hour drive then likely Bernard's mileage will stay "low" as we'll take a different vehicle on our next long road trip.

I think I'll get some sort of protection for the back loading area. I'd like to know if anyone else orders something and has an easy time putting it on.

If anyone is considering the cocomats, I'll post a picture. Unlike the carpet or the black rubber mats, they don't show dust or dirt. I'm so glad that I splurged for them. According to the website and others on the boards, there is a big difference in these mats and other cocos.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
With my previous Suburbans, I usually put 25K or more a year on them. Have had several over 200,000 miles, I've learned that by that point, I'm more than ready to get a new one! I'm also a little worried about the lack of repair places for the Mini which might become a problem with higher mileage.

It will be interesting to see how the mileage is with Bernard. Living in the country racks up the miles, but I no longer have four sons to chauffeur around and follow to every school, scout, sporting or musical event known to man. The real acid test will be our trip at the end of the month. If we find it uncomfortable for a 15 hour drive then likely Bernard's mileage will stay "low" as we'll take a different vehicle on our next long road trip.

I think I'll get some sort of protection for the back loading area. I'd like to know if anyone else orders something and has an easy time putting it on.

If anyone is considering the cocomats, I'll post a picture. Unlike the carpet or the black rubber mats, they don't show dust or dirt. I'm so glad that I splurged for them. According to the website and others on the boards, there is a big difference in these mats and other cocos.
Post some pics of your new mats, please. We've only been on several two to three hour trips in Hilla, but I didn't find myself shifting in the seat like I have usually done in other cars. Hilla came with the sport seats which fits me fairly well and so far my navigator has not complained either. Let us know how your trip goes later. Oh, and which seats did Bernard have? I've heard the Euro versions have better options on the sport seats, but so far I am pretty happy.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:13 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
re: back bumper wear - on my two prior hatchbacks and also my dad's van, the back bumper in all three cases sustained scratch marks from loading/unloading cargo. Being that I have a clubman, plus the fact that my back bumper is black caused me to consider some protection. I don't intend to haul stuff back from Home Depot anytime soon with the Clubman, but I do expect to use the car for loading *some* items over the years for bike rides, golf outings, etc.

I am most likely going to order the xpel clearbra for the back bumper top being that it is only ~$70. The A pillar and top of roof protection kit is a lot more at ~$130, so I may hold off on that. I might elect to get bulk xpel and cut it myself for the A pillars, which is my primary concern - both my existing cars have chips in that area.

Please note you are reading a post from someone who, with unlimited budget, would have wrapped the whole darn car , so consider my opinions accordingly. It may take several weeks before I am able to receive the clearbra and install it, but when I do I'll be sure to report back on how it all went.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Hi everyone! Just returned home (too soon) from our 7 night Caribbean Cruise! How nice it is to see that this thread is still very much alive!! Lucy has been parked for the last 8 days.. I missed her!! My husbands new clubbie should be at the dealers by now - so he should be motoring in a day or so!!

Lot's to read and catch up on!!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Please note you are reading a post from someone who, with unlimited budget, would have wrapped the whole darn car , so consider my opinions accordingly.
+1 Good idea!!!

Originally Posted by tinker_06
Hi everyone! Just returned home (too soon) from our 7 night Caribbean Cruise! How nice it is to see that this thread is still very much alive!! Lucy has been parked for the last 8 days.. I missed her!! My husbands new clubbie should be at the dealers by now - so he should be motoring in a day or so!!

Glad to hear your back!!! Lot's a updates please!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Here's a photo of Fergie on the lift - ready for her first oil change. She has 1680 miles on her and I wanted to get the "break-in" oil changed. I know it's not really "break-in" oil like the old days, but I still wanted to change it to get a fresh start. I'm old fashion when it comes to oil changes, even with the full synthetic oils these days. I used the factory oil filter with o-ring and crush washer for the drain plug (ordered from Mini Mania) and 4.4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Also, I received my "NAM 2008 Week 32 Badge and Decals" from Ed at Cooper Flags. They are outstanding! They turned-out crisp and clear, and are much better than other badges or decals I ordered from other companies.

I will be keeping the badge and want to keep 2 of the 4 decals. Kechman8 and Gbsim have expressed interest. If each of you want one decal, then that's the only two I have to part with. Please send a PM and we can arrange payment and shipping address. The decals are 4 for $20.00, so that's $5.00 each. I'm not looking to sell these are make a profit, so $5.00 and I'll mail it to you.

Anyone wanting the badge or decals can contact Ed at Cooper Flags via his website. Tell him you want to order the "NAM 2008 Week 32er" badge and/or decals and he can use the design he created for me. I'll let him know there maybe some orders coming. Any questions, let me know.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RoadTrip2
Here's a photo of Fergie on the lift - ready for her first oil change. She has 1680 miles on her and I wanted to get the "break-in" oil changed. I know it's not really "break-in" oil like the old days, but I still wanted to change it to get a fresh start. I'm old fashion when it comes to oil changes, even with the full synthetic oils these days. I used the factory oil filter with o-ring and crush washer for the drain plug (ordered from Mini Mania) and 4.4 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic.

Nice lift, how's it work?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
It's a Kwiklift and works manually. The rear has a cross-tube member that rotates to allow a floor jack to be placed under it. With the jack, you can raise or lower the rear as needed. The rear legs are shown in place, but can be raised to allow the rear of the ramps to be lowered to the garage floor - to drive the car on or off.

The front legs are always in place, but can be removed so the ramp can be lowered in front and rear. In my case, I have casters that I put under the lift so I can move it about in the garage when not in use.

I ordered it a couple of months ago and it is just what I needed for my purposes. I looked a hydrallic lifts, etc., but decided on this one. I have changed oil in both of our Corvettes, our Jeep, and now the Mini. It's also good for detailing the lower parts of the vehicles, rotating tires, etc. The car can be jacked-up using a bottle jack, even while on the lift.

You can get all the details at Kwiklift.com - they are out of Broken Arrow, OK.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RoadTrip2
It's a Kwiklift and works manually. You can get all the details at Kwiklift.com - they are out of Broken Arrow, OK.
Thanks, that's neat!!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear

Guess you didn't see too many Mini's on the cruise!

Welcome back!

Is it my imagination or was it really fast for your husbands Clubman?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
Guess you didn't see too many Mini's on the cruise!

Welcome back!

Is it my imagination or was it really fast for your husbands Clubman?
Thank you!

Time flies when we already have OUR Mini's!! It's been about 6 weeks.. so not so fast. They called him yesterday and don't have the new grill in that they need for the rally lights, so he will not be able to pick it up till Wed. or Thurs. Seems like they should have already have the grill - since he ordered the rally lights 6 weeks ago. He is patient... I would be going nuts!! LOL

Actually - I was surprised to see 5 MINI's while on the cruise!! Actually - we were in port at St. Thomas. and St. Martin. Had a great time, but I am tired!!! Always seem to need a vacation AFTER my vacation!!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Thank you!

Time flies when we already have OUR Mini's!! It's been about 6 weeks.. so not so fast. They called him yesterday and don't have the new grill in that they need for the rally lights, so he will not be able to pick it up till Wed. or Thurs. Seems like they should have already have the grill - since he ordered the rally lights 6 weeks ago. He is patient... I would be going nuts!! LOL

Actually - I was surprised to see 5 MINI's while on the cruise!! Actually - we were in port at St. Thomas. and St. Martin. Had a great time, but I am tired!!! Always seem to need a vacation AFTER my vacation!!
Sounds great, I am sure he will be very happy after he pick him/her up!! It seems parts don't always come in on time, our carbon fiber diffuser had the same story, but it'll all work out!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I had a different problem with my lamps. They had the parts, but installed the wrong lamps. I got black ones, but ordered chrome. Took about two weeks to get the replacements, but I have them now.

The dealer told me someone had put in a change order at the VDC to make them black, but I had email documentation to show I specified chrome.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I had a different problem with my lamps. They had the parts, but installed the wrong lamps. I got black ones, but ordered chrome. Took about two weeks to get the replacements, but I have them now.

The dealer told me someone had put in a change order at the VDC to make them black, but I had email documentation to show I specified chrome.
I've read that one of the weeks after us has had some issues with the wrong headliners installed in their MINIs. I don't know if the issue was not having the right component or some other mix up.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I've read that one of the weeks after us has had some issues with the wrong headliners installed in their MINIs.
That would be a factory mistake. Mine was one that occurred at the VDC, so it's likely unrelated.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Thanks, that's neat!!
+1... I wish I had a garage to put something like that in! Very cool, indeed.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
tinker - welcome back!

RoadTrip - yes, def. still want the decal. I'll PM you!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
That would be a factory mistake. Mine was one that occurred at the VDC, so it's likely unrelated.
What's their recourse - to talk to MINIUSA and their dealers?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
+1... I wish I had a garage to put something like that in! Very cool, indeed.
At least the paint job isn't finished!
That's going to be one nice shop after it's finished though! Yes and I'm jealous!!

Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
What's their recourse - to talk to MINIUSA and their dealers?
I didn't take delivery without an agreement that it would be corrected. The dealer was very ageeable.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Orange convertible

I was driving around to another building at my work to pick up a colleague for lunch, and there was an orange Cooper convertible (with blue top). I actually parked next to it for a few minutes. It needed a bath, but otherwise was gorgeous. What a neat color. I had only seen one or two orange Minis in pictures and never thought I'd see one in person. I hope to find out who owns it.

Anyone know what years the orange convertibles were produced?

That makes 5 Minis I've seen at my work... 2 LB hardtops (I know the owner of one of them... it's a 2003), 1 HO convertible, 1 PS convertible, and my Phantom (of course).

Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
PhantomMC, the're multiplying!!!! Do you have any MINI cards to leave on their window or are you going to stalk them! I keep seeing them all over too. The other day I was at a Target and I guy pulls up in a rental and says he had to drive back to have a look at Hilla. He was from Baltimore and was apparently in Houston on business. He has a Cooper S convertible back home. We talked a bit, but it wasn't until I was leaving that I realized I should have invited him to look at Hilla a little closer. He said he was an occasional NAM reader, I was just so dumfounded and totally unprepared for any social niceties, so my apologies to the Baltimore traveler! I really need to work on my social skills!

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group