1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini
PhantomMC, the're multiplying!!!! Do you have any MINI cards to leave on their window or are you going to stalk them!
Actually, the guy I was having lunch with said he could probably find out who the owner of the HO convertible is. I hope so. I've not had anyone stop me or express any interest in Phantom, but I'd be delighted to talk with anyone about him and about MINIs in general.

I have a colleague at work who I am hoping will eventually be ordering one. I'm working on him, and he said he's already been online doing some configuring.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Omaha, has been pretty silent lately! How are y"ll doing up there?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
Actually, the guy I was having lunch with said he could probably find out who the owner of the HO convertible is. I hope so. I've not had anyone stop me or express any interest in Phantom, but I'd be delighted to talk with anyone about him and about MINIs in general.

I have a colleague at work who I am hoping will eventually be ordering one. I'm working on him, and he said he's already been online doing some configuring.
Do you have a local MINI club? We have the "Houston MINI Motoring Society", meets once a month and also sponsers events from road trips, to AX meets. They also give members these little card you place on windows - spotter cards to let the MINI owner know they've been spotted and club contact info.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Just picked up Hilla's personalized plates - "M HILLA". I'll have to go install them right away!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Do you have a local MINI club? We have the "Houston MINI Motoring Society", meets once a month and also sponsers events from road trips, to AX meets. They also give members these little card you place on windows - spotter cards to let the MINI owner know they've been spotted and club contact info.
I think the closest MINI club is in Cincinnati - about 50 or so miles away. I don't know how active it is, but they are listed on NAM.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
I think the closest MINI club is in Cincinnati - about 50 or so miles away. I don't know how active it is, but they are listed on NAM.
Fiftys not too bad, it would give you a chance to put miles in Phantom! Or you could start a branch chapter in your area!

I just installed the no holes license plate holder - I modified it a bit though. I thought it looked a bit flimsy, so I used a modified version of the black plastic holder, which came with Hilla uninstalled, to make it look a bit more finished. I think it will work out until the state gets rid of the front plate requirement.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:54 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
I just installed the no holes license plate holder - I modified it a bit though. I thought it looked a bit flimsy, so I used a modified version of the black plastic holder, which came with Hilla uninstalled, to make it look a bit more finished. I think it will work out until the state gets rid of the front plate requirement.
I just put the license plate in the "normal" place. I don't like the offcenter look of the no-holes plate - really looks tacked on to me, and the normal, centered place the plate bracket goes is just plastic. If I move to a state where no front plate is needed, I'll either use some fun plate in the front or get the "buttons" that I've seen advertised that plug the holes in the plastic. No worries. Glad you got the no-holes plate to work to your satisfaction.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
plutch
2nd Gear
Just picked up my car today! I seriously love it, everything about it! I think that they messed up on one thing though. My turn signals look very much like egg yolks! I ordered white turn signals. Oh well, I need to get that $100 dollars back though. Pictures to come I swear!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by plutch
Just picked up my car today! I seriously love it, everything about it! I think that they messed up on one thing though. My turn signals look very much like egg yolks! I ordered white turn signals. Oh well, I need to get that $100 dollars back though. Pictures to come I swear!
The $100 is for white signals on the rear lights. The fronts still have the egg yolk. Is that what you got?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
My understanding is that white turn signals are on all lights... front, side and back. I got them and all my lights are white... no egg yolks!

Last edited by PhantomMC; 10-15-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Hi everyone,
I've been out of town with work. Depressing news - one of my new side scuttle (JCW replaced the chrome S OEMs) has either fallen out or been taken off while at the airport garage .
I'm going to have to go back to the Ss. What's even more sickening is that I really doubt I'll be able to pick up just the insert.

In other news I'm about 40 miles away from the magical 1200. I'm tired, mad, sad, it is probably just best I sleep this on off. It could have been worse - I could have returned to a big door ding.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
My understanding is that white turn signals are on all lights... front, side and back. I got them and all my lights are white... no egg yokes!
I stand corrected. My rears, fronts, and sides are white. I was confused because the bulbs are still amber and very visible on the front lamps.

I need to get a set of Silverlight replacement bulbs.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I stand corrected. My rears, fronts, and sides are white. I was confused because the bulbs are still amber and very visible on the front lamps.
Confused me, too, at first, but the front amber lights are really only visible if you look straight on. I like the look with the white turn signals... and it adds considerably to the "stealth" look I'm going for on Phantom. When I get to Outmotoring, I want to check out the tape to cover the reflectors on the fenders. I'd like to dull down those amber and red reflectors.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper

I need to get a set of Silverlight replacement bulbs.
I had never heard of those and just googled.... sounds just like what I'd like to make my $100 white rear turn signals TRULY white! Thanks for the headsup Racetripper. If you wind up ordering keep me/us posted on who you order through.

Plutch!!! Congratulations! Your wait was of epic proportions!

Mr. Wickham, so sorry to hear of your scuttle loss, but as you said it could have been much worse. When I last was at the New Orleans airport there were several cars with huge keyed sides. Amazing what some people think is fun.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrwickham
Hi everyone,
I've been out of town with work. Depressing news - one of my new side scuttle (JCW replaced the chrome S OEMs) has either fallen out or been taken off while at the airport garage .
I'm going to have to go back to the Ss. What's even more sickening is that I really doubt I'll be able to pick up just the insert.

In other news I'm about 40 miles away from the magical 1200. I'm tired, mad, sad, it is probably just best I sleep this on off. It could have been worse - I could have returned to a big door ding.
Welcome back, and sorry to hear about your missing scuttle. I hope you get it all worked out. Airports can be dangerous places for cars. Every time I go out to my parked car, I fear seeing some problem - door ding, paint chip, whatever.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
I had never heard of those and just googled.... sounds just like what I'd like to make my $100 white rear turn signals TRULY white! Thanks for the headsup Racetripper. If you wind up ordering keep me/us posted on who you order through.
I ordered from StealthAuto when I got them for my M3. I think the correct ones fro the front and rear are #7506 or #7507.

I've also heard you can get them from a BMW dealer as part #63 217 160 897 ($15.00 each), the silver turn signal bulbs from the X3 & X5. They aren't exactly the same but similar. I'm going to have a look at those on Friday when I have my MINI serviced.

Last edited by RaceTripper; 10-16-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by plutch
Finally, about time!!!!! Seriously congrats and look forward to seeing your pics!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mrwickham
Hi everyone, I've been out of town with work. Depressing news - one of my new side scuttle (JCW replaced the chrome S OEMs) has either fallen out or been taken off while at the airport garage .
Sorry to hear about the side scuttles, but very glad to hear your back!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Welcome back, and sorry to hear about your missing scuttle. I hope you get it all worked out. Airports can be dangerous places for cars. Every time I go out to my parked car, I fear seeing some problem - door ding, paint chip, whatever.
When I picked up Hilla's plates, I took the bus and light rail downtown so I wouldn't have to park in one of those seedy public parking buildings!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
Plutch!!! Congratulations! Your wait was of epic proportions!
Plutch's Odyssey!! Tales of a wandering MINI, returns to a loving home. Long voyage, devils triangle, tropical sirens, Poseidon and Zeus - yep definitely epic!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
that sucks, mr. wickham. Sorry to hear that.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
wow, plutch. What a wait, but happy to hear you picked up your ride. Eager to see pics!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
sikamini - I have my no holes license plate holder in my hands... can't install for a while, though - am going out of town on a camping trip with the fam this weekend. Wish me luck - first time with the kids and wife camping! (and good news - my daughter has NOT had a recurring episode with her leg!).

Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 PM
plutch
2nd Gear
I ordered my car on 7/11 and had a 8/4 finish date! All of my turn signals are egg yolks, I checked the fact sheet and my purchase order and they both say white turn signals. I am not that worried, the car looks / drives great.
I have to leave it for 5 days because I am going to Austin, Texas for some BBQ and college football. When I get back the lady and I are taking a drive to Bend, Oregon for some golf. I planned my vacation and held out for these two weeks for a long time, but it was worth it.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:57 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
plutch,

You have to win the patience award. I don't know how you've made it so long without your new ride. I ordered Phantom on July 11th, too, but picked him up on September 8th. You've waited more than a month longer. Must have been agony. But, I'm sure it's all worth it now. Enjoy! And don't forget the pics!

Last edited by PhantomMC; 10-16-2008 at 04:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group