1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:29 AM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gbsim -

Sorry to read about the problems. I can vouch for what kechman8 found for roadside assistance. When we took delivery of our Mini, the MA was very thorough explaining the roadside assistance program. Be sure to use a flatbed truck if getting towed to dealer.

WHAT SERVICES ARE COVERED UNDER THE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM?

Trip-interruption policy:Reimbursement of lodging, meals, substitute transportation to reunite you with your MINI - For mechanical breakdowns covered under warranty when 100 miles or more from home. Limit $1000 per incident up to 5 days. Exclusions apply.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:52 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gbsim
.....Bernard over the Blue Ridge (225+ miles) to Richmond/Crown Mini which is open today to accept cars, but no service dept.

No idea how we'll get to Richmond or back and Roadside Assistance couldn't answer any questions about "reuniting". Plus my husband is having hip replacement in 2 weeks and has a very important doctors appt this Thursday in Baton Rouge. Oh well we forged ahead and at least got here for Parent's Weekend.... can you tell that I'll go through thick and thin for my four awesome sons? It would take a lot for me to cancel a trip to see one of them!

Sigh.... I never thought I'd be the first Week 32er to call Roadside Assistance
Be sure to ask about a loaner? You may be entitled to one, I don't know if these agreements are the same, but I was told by our dealer that we would be entitled to a loaner whenever Hilla was brought in. Main thing is everyone is safe, and Bernard is heading to the MINI hospital. Have a good time visiting!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
Ouch what horrible luck. My fingers and toes are crossed that Bernard not only makes it home safely, but also completely fixed.
We're right behind you. Hang in there.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Me too. I do hope that everything works out and that Bernard is made completely well (and in time to get back to LA when you need to be there). Best wishes, gbsim.

On another topic, I visited Outmotoring today. Aaron is very nice, and he fixed me up with a number of products for Phantom. I'll post more about what's new with Phantom tomorrow. I have a bit of work to do first.

Goodnight all.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
I bought the MINI Roadtrip Fitted Luggage from FastMINI.net. We'll be using it for our next road trip, to the 12 Hours of Sebring next March.
RaceTripper, please post more about the luggage when you receive it (and post some pics, if possible). I see it's available for a sale price now.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
RaceTripper, please post more about the luggage when you receive it (and post some pics, if possible). I see it's available for a sale price now.
They just sit flat, so until I actually pack them fully there isn't much to see. They don't have a stiff frame like conventional luggage. The website shows pictures of them packed and stowed. I think the sale price is reasonable, but I would not order them at the full price.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
They just sit flat, so until I actually pack them fully there isn't much to see. They don't have a stiff frame like conventional luggage. The website shows pictures of them packed and stowed. I think the sale price is reasonable, but I would not order them at the full price.
So, do they collapse completely, sort of like a duffle, when empty? And it looks like the zipper does not go completely around them, so they don't open up completely like a "regular" suitcase? Sounds like they would not have any use outside of stowing in the MINI boot?

Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
So, do they collapse completely, sort of like a duffle, when empty? And it looks like the zipper does not go completely around them, so they don't open up completely like a "regular" suitcase? Sounds like they would not have any use outside of stowing in the MINI boot?
Yes, they collapse completely, and the zipper goes across the top and about a 1/3 way down the sides. It is more like a duffle. We do not plan to use these as regular suitcases, but they will be perfect for our road trips to race events.

Except for the vinyl piping (which we all know cracks after awhile) they seem to be good quality, about worth the sale price of $140 (incl. shipping), but not the regular price of $209, IMHO. For $200 I think they should have been made with ripstop nylon, especially as a car accessory.

I stuffed them each with a pillow to try out fit. They sit sideways, and there seems to be enough room left for overpacking them a bit, and to leave a bit of space between the top and the parcel shelf. I also still have a bit of space on the sides of the boot, where I can keep a bottle of glass cleaner and towels (needed on road trips).

The acid test will be to put them to actual use, which I won't be able to until March. I only bought them now because they were on sale. I think they will work out well, unless they rip easily -- that they aren't ripstop vinyl worries me a little.

HTH

Attached Thumbnails Week 32 Support Group-mini-luggage.jpg  
Old 10-26-2008, 12:32 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
RaceTripper,

Thanks very much. I may get a set, too, to use on overnight or weekend trips in Phantom (but only if they are still on sale). I assume that each suitcase would hold enough clothes, toiletries, etc. for a person for 2-3 days.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:40 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
I may get a set, too, to use on overnight or weekend trips in Phantom (but only if they are still on sale).
I emailed FastMINI last week and they told me those would be on sale for a few weeks.

I assume that each suitcase would hold enough clothes, toiletries, etc. for a person for 2-3 days.
Oh yeah, no problem...well, for a man anyway.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Phantom upgrades!

I have placed in my gallery a new album called October 2008 Mods (or something like that).

I have replaced the original MC chrome grill with the JCW black grill. I really like the look - a better balance of chrome and black on the front of the car. What do others think? There's a before and an after picture in the gallery. The grill switch out took about 10 minutes at the most. Once I understood what to do, it was super simple. And I can always go back to chrome if I have the urge.

I also put on a stubby antenna (radio reception seems to be the same as with the RC-like antenna, based on one use), added the center console organizer (seems to be the same material as the rubber floor mats), added the glove box organizer (makes the glove box much more useable if you keep more than just the MINI manuals in there), and purchased the OEM MINI boot mat. It also seems to be the same material as the rubber floor mats (I'm very impressed with the quality). Pictures of each item in the gallery.

All this came from Outmotoring. I cannot recommend Outmotoring and Aaron too much. It's a great place to get your MINI "stuff." He told me he's going to start carrying the silver light bulbs (like those that replace the amber ones on the turn signals).

I'd be happy to answer questions about any of the products I added to Phantom.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
I emailed FastMINI last week and they told me those would be on sale for a few weeks.

Oh yeah, no problem...well, for a man anyway.
Yeah, my wife laughed when I read her that last comment. I wonder if one of those suitcases would hold her shoes? Or just her toiletries? She could probably fill both, and I could just use my usual small duffle - ha ha!

I do like the fact that using these suitcases would allow you to keep things out of sight. Now I just need to decide if they are worth it, given that I'd probably use them no more than 2 or 3 times a year.

Thanks again, RaceTripper!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Finally put on my mud flaps today. Wasn't too bad. I'd had the directions both from MINI and Adam from Alta but was a bit confused until we got the wheel off the car and started poking around. Took maybe 15 minutes per flap. I also washed the car so I will hopefully be able to tell if they help.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Tu13es - you and I had the same idea! However, I only had time to put the front ones on. Yes, it was a cinch once I knew what the heck I was doing. The Adam from Alta directions were very helpful. I really like the look of the front ones. Maybe next week I can do the back also, but I'll need some jack stands when I take off the wheels. I found just turning the wheels was enough for me to quite easily put the front flaps on.

Originally Posted by Tu13es
Finally put on my mud flaps today. Wasn't too bad. I'd had the directions both from MINI and Adam from Alta but was a bit confused until we got the wheel off the car and started poking around. Took maybe 15 minutes per flap. I also washed the car so I will hopefully be able to tell if they help.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Pics on the flaps!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Not being that handy, and not having the equipment to remove the wheels, etc., I had my mechanic put on the mud flaps. Front ones were a breeze, but the sticky tape that came in the package with the back ones was worthless. Would not stick. So, they got some new tape and did the back ones again. I still have a small gap between the flap and the bumper near the top on each side, but it's very small, and I don't mind. They look good. Oh, on the back ones, my mechanic had to expand the clips a bit to get them to fit (they were too tight and wouldn't slip on without being expanded a bit).

In my opinion, flaps are important, and MINI should design these better to go on easier and fit better. I compare to putting flaps on a Camry which takes about 5 minutes per wheel, can be done without removing wheels, requires no more than a screwdriver, and they fit nice and tight. Oh well...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
.............. They look good. Oh, on the back ones, my mechanic had to expand the clips a bit to get them to fit (they were too tight and wouldn't slip on without being expanded a bit).

In my opinion, flaps are important, and MINI should design these better to go on easier and fit better. I compare to putting flaps on a Camry which takes about 5 minutes per wheel, can be done without removing wheels, requires no more than a screwdriver, and they fit nice and tight. Oh well...
Pics!!!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Okay folks lets see if we can push this thread past the 2500 mark!!!! (shameless bump)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Pics!!!!!
Yeah... I realized I've got pics for everything I've done or had done to Phantom in my gallery... except the mud flaps. I'll try to get some in there in the next couple of days. Thanks for the reminder, sikamini.

And I second the motion to keep it going - 2500 posts is good next goal.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
LinkedIn

Are any of you Week 32ers on LinkedIn? If so there's a MINI owners group in LinkedIn that you can join. Just thought I'd mention it.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
BTW, I heard the startup clatter yesterday and today. Eww.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Useless information

... but maybe fun...

I wanted to compare our Week 32 thread to the mighty Week 23 thread. If I count correctly, Week 23 was June 2-8 (Week 32, if you forgot, was August 4-10). We are now beginning the 12th week after our build week, and have 2321 posts on our thread. At the same point post-Week 23 build (that is on August 25th) the Week 23 thread had 4019 posts. At the beginning of the build week - June 2nd for Week 23 - they had 471 posts, and Week 32 - August 4th - had 398 posts.

Now is that about as useless as it gets? Let's keep our thread going, though. This is such a nice, helpful group of MINI owners.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
... but maybe fun...

I wanted to compare our Week 32 thread to the mighty Week 23 thread. If I count correctly, Week 23 was June 2-8 (Week 32, if you forgot, was August 4-10). We are now beginning the 12th week after our build week, and have 2321 posts on our thread. At the same point post-Week 23 build (that is on August 25th) the Week 23 thread had 4019 posts. At the beginning of the build week - June 2nd for Week 23 - they had 471 posts, and Week 32 - August 4th - had 398 posts.

Now is that about as useless as it gets? Let's keep our thread going, though. This is such a nice, helpful group of MINI owners.
Well we've had a bit of a slow down, but lets keep the dialog going!! Even if you post in your galleries, please put a small teaser in the thread!!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:56 PM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
Oh, I don't think we'll have too much trouble keeping this alive. I've got a number of issues which I'll treat with individual posts.
Issue 1: Sorry for not noticing, but did someone say that were able to get someone or somebody to manufacture the Motoring 32er magnetic badges. If so who do I contact? BTW, got the little motoring kit today.

2100 Miles since Sept. 18th
Ave MPG 32.5

Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rtwerk222
Oh, I don't think we'll have too much trouble keeping this alive. I've got a number of issues which I'll treat with individual posts.
Issue 1: Sorry for not noticing, but did someone say that were able to get someone or somebody to manufacture the Motoring 32er magnetic badges. If so who do I contact? BTW, got the little motoring kit today.

2100 Miles since Sept. 18th
Ave MPG 32.5
Week 32 badges and decals are available from Cooper Flags (http://www.cooperflags.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ID=505). I ordered 2 decals ($3.50 each, plus shipping). I should get them tomorrow or Wed. Badges are $7 each.

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group