1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:40 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tu13es
I had one of those "man, I really love my car" moments on the way into work. I realized that every single trip to/from work (or anywhere) is FUN thanks to the car. I forgot how much I dreaded commuting before.

I've still managed to not spend any money on stuff for the car, yet. I'm holding out as much as I can. Maybe I can make it until Christmas?
Tu13es -

Good for you! Proves that one doesn't have to spend $$$ to really enjoy the car. But then again, if spending $$$ is what you like to do, the MINI provides lots of opportunties. I've managed to spend less than $300 since I got Phantom, and I think I'm done for a while now. I've purchased all the stuff that I anticipated doing before he even was delivered. Now it's time to save $$$ and just have fun driving - which is a lot more fun with the price of gasoline down to less than half what it was a few weeks ago!

I would say that commuting is certainly not a chore at all in my MINI... though in fairness, it wasn't a chore in my Honda, either.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 AM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
Left the building today to go home. Got into the new MINI Cooper, started it up and HOLY S**T, you should have heard the engine . . . I couldn't hope to describe the sound. A bag of marbles hitting a tin plate comes kinda close. The rattle from hell. I was horrible. This is a BRAND NEW CAR, about 2000 miles on the odometer. Never broke 4500 during the break-in. What gives BMW? What gives MINI? I did a little checking and found that the rattle, or whatever one would call it, is NOT unique to me. It's relatively common and quite well known. Drat, I was really enjoying the little car, now this . . . . really takes the confidence level down. I'm MORE than a little POed about this . . . something must and will be done. Well, along with everything else, I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rtwerk222
Left the building today to go home. Got into the new MINI Cooper, started it up and HOLY S**T, you should have heard the engine . . . I couldn't hope to describe the sound. A bag of marbles hitting a tin plate comes kinda close. The rattle from hell. I was horrible. This is a BRAND NEW CAR, about 2000 miles on the odometer. Never broke 4500 during the break-in. What gives BMW? What gives MINI? I did a little checking and found that the rattle, or whatever one would call it, is NOT unique to me. It's relatively common and quite well known. Drat, I was really enjoying the little car, now this . . . . really takes the confidence level down. I'm MORE than a little POed about this . . . something must and will be done. Well, along with everything else, I'll keep you posted.
Have you contacted your dealer already?? Is it intermittent or continuous?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
ouch, rtwerk. That would bother me, too, if it was that loud (bag of marbles on a tin plate?). I experienced a couple of "rattle mornings" with the clubbie, but in general, other than the engine always sounding like a diesel which I've internalized as 'normal', it hasn't been that bad for me.

I'm sure you are going to call your MA/SA and get it checked out. Let us know what happens.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Tu13es - yes, I too look forward to my commutes now. Reliability and quality are still my concerns for the car, but the fun factor is definitely there! I am also really getting to like the interior design and look - yes even the big speedo which I was not excited about initially - every other car interior now just looks so BORING to me. Just the other day I sat in a 5-series interior and I thought it was so stark and stuffy compared to the mini. The other car I own is a Lexus SUV and it is really a good contrast to the mini. Sometimes I find it refreshing to sit into a spacious interior again if only for a little while, and enjoy looking over traffic perched high in the seat. After a ride in the Lexus, though, I find myself wanting to get back into the mini again. I think if I ONLY had the mini to drive I wouldn't feel so excited.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
I visited the monthly meeting of the Ohio Mini Owners group last evening.
Anyone else found a Mini/MINI owners group in their town?
GulfSouthMotoring has had two events since I took delivery, but I haven't been able to make it to either. Am really anxious to do something though!

Originally Posted by rtwerk222
Left the building today to go home. Got into the new MINI Cooper, started it up and HOLY S**T, you should have heard the engine . . . I couldn't hope to describe the sound..
I'm with Kechman, I've had three times that I've started up and had a slight rattle. Enough that I didn't want to put it in gear and really get going, but not enough to make me panic. Each time, I let it run for a few seconds, gave it some gas and it kept on. Then I shut it down, restarted and it was gone. Please keep us posted on what goes on with yours rtwerk.

Unfortunately, I'm racking up the miles rather quickly (around 3,700), but I just love to drive it and so it seems to always be the one that we take to go anywhere!!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
I visited the monthly meeting of the Ohio Mini Owners group last evening. It's a Dayton, Ohio Mini/MINI (and more) owners group that's been around for over 20 years, I think. They said they have about 40 members, but only about 25 or so were at the meeting. The core of the group seems to be those who are "classic" Mini owners. Some own 2 or 3 Minis going back to the 1960s. I got a chance to look over a 1975 Austin Clubman Estate that the owner believes was originally sold in Italy. There's a short article about a couple of owners in our local paper. http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...18WOWMini.html if you are interested.

Anyway, it was interesting to meet some long-time Mini owners. The group is planning to host Mini Meets East in 2010. I think they plan to hold it at the Wright-Patterson Airforce Base.

Anyone else found a Mini/MINI owners group in their town?
Yep, there is one in Houston - nice group!!
http://www.hmms.org/HMMSHome/Welcome...8/Default.aspx

Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
rtwerk222
2nd Gear
Well this is what my MA said to me in an email

"?? Not familiar with a rattle causing any mechanical problems. Let's get it in and take a look at it. Call tomorrow and we'll get you an appointment."

His e-mail was just vague enough for me to wonder. Is he not familiar with the problem at all, or is he familiar with the problem and is convinced that it won't cause mechanical problems. Believe me, it was loud. Got everyone's attention in the parking lot. Sounded as though the nearest engine oil was somewhere in China.

The "rattle" occurred again this morning but lasted less than a second. Furthermore, it didn't happen again during the day's activities. Oh well, eventually some week 32er is going to kick me out of here and into the "engine rattle" threads.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:39 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Hey rtwerk, good luck!! Remember that my service manager told me that my car had power steering fluid (it was brake fluid) and a pump when it is 100% electric! And also both he and the sales manager told me that my armrest was just an armrest and there was no such thing as an insert for the phone. So I'm here to tell ya that you just might be more on top of things than they are!!

Print out some of the stuff from the boards and bring it along. Give them the links to the youtube videos of the clattering cars or have it on your phone to show them at the dealership. Another thought is keep your video camera in the car and to make your own video of the racket. I saw a service bulletin of some sort in one of the threads that came direct from Mini about the problem. Only problem is that the service bulletin was saying that it wasn't really a problem and they hadn't figured out a fix for it yet. But at least they can make a note of it in your cars records for you.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 AM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Hey Everyone,
Havent been on in awhile just been enjoying my mini and the stuff mini keeps sending me. Everyone get the little Trip Package? I installed my plates a week ago, it made me sad. I wash it way more then I washed my old car.

I have two questions though:

What do you guys clean your Interior with? I have to standard interor, chrome lined, and the leatherette. I dont want anything that gives that greasy shine.

Also Ive been getting hit by bees big time! And the other day when I washed it some of the bee "goo" left a tiny yellow stain on one of my racing stripes. One of those things no one but I would notice. I scrubbed and scrubbed and could not get it off. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LaurenC
What do you guys clean your Interior with? I have to standard interor, chrome lined, and the leatherette. I dont want anything that gives that greasy shine.
First thing I did was protect all interior vinyl and plastic, except any that I touch - seats, door sills, steering wheel, shift ****, etc. - with Prima Nero. I put Nero on the dash, trim, inside of the doors, etc. I think it's probably fine on the chrome, but I'm not certain.

I, too, wonder what to use on the seats. I'm leaning toward 303 Protectant. Also, not sure what, if anything, to use on the leather steering wheel. Otherwise, cleaning is just with a damp cloth and I vacuum the floor mats and seats regularly.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:44 AM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Yea those floor mats gets dirty so easily and they are so soft and plush, i try to vacuum them and I use sticky link rollers on them. I like them to look clean, which is hard because i have horses and my shoes are usually dirty. The leatherette is a hard one, cause leather cleaner can be so filmy

Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Yea those floor mats gets dirty so easily and they are so soft and plush, i try to vacuum them and I use sticky link rollers on them. I like them to look clean, which is hard because i have horses and my shoes are usually dirty. The leatherette is a hard one, cause leather cleaner can be so filmy
I highly recommend the rubber floor mats. Look and feel nice, and easy to clean - vacuum them and wipe with a damp cloth is all they usually need.

I got the OEM boot mat, too, and it looks and feels like the rubber floor mats. Very nice.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Hi LaurenC, I was wondering whether the sticky roller would leave behind a glue residue?

I highly recommend the rubber floor mats. Look and feel nice, and easy to clean - vacuum them and wipe with a damp cloth is all they usually need.

I got the OEM boot mat, too, and it looks and feels like the rubber floor mats. Very nice.
I like the rubber type mats too, it's easier to get the mud off even after muddy work boots or shoes.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Hi LaurenC, I was wondering whether the sticky roller would leave behind a glue residue?
No, i just use the kinda like you use on your clothing. I get lots of pet hair from my aussie that sticks to my shoes, and the static cling makes the vacuum useless. I really like the carpet floor mats though, they are very soft.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
No, i just use the kinda like you use on your clothing. I get lots of pet hair from my aussie that sticks to my shoes, and the static cling makes the vacuum useless. I really like the carpet floor mats though, they are very soft.
I got a similar problem with cat fur!!! They haven't been in the MINI yet, but I keep finding these familiar hairs inside!! I still need to treat the cloth seats with scotch guard or some thing similar - should probably do that this weekend!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
re: interior vinyl - I also use Nero and love it. Leaves a nice sheen, not shiny

While we are on the subject, despite many warnings of dire consequences, my kids continue to kick their little feet up against the back of the seats, causing unsightly dirt marks on the black meshy stuff. I haven't had time to clean the dirt marks off except for the occasional swipe with my hand when they get in. I've given up warning them about kicking, so I'm trying to figure out a good/elegant way of cleaning the seat backs off when dirty and/or cover them somehow...

Any suggestions??

Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kechman8
re: interior vinyl - I also use Nero and love it. Leaves a nice sheen, not shiny

While we are on the subject, despite many warnings of dire consequences, my kids continue to kick their little feet up against the back of the seats, causing unsightly dirt marks on the black meshy stuff. I haven't had time to clean the dirt marks off except for the occasional swipe with my hand when they get in. I've given up warning them about kicking, so I'm trying to figure out a good/elegant way of cleaning the seat backs off when dirty and/or cover them somehow...

Any suggestions??
Who sells Nero? Is it online only?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Woohoo! I just ordered the Alcantara JCW steering wheel with the CF center insert. Hope to have it installed within a week or so.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:07 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Another nod for Nero! The stuff is awesome. I bought it from Detailers Paradise (the makers of Nero and all of the other Prima products).... if you go to the detailing forum here on the boards you'll become a Prima convert when you read all of the good reviews.

I've still got to order something for the leather seats though. I'll either go with the Prima Nourish or the Griots Leathercare.... anybody use either?

Kechman, I'd say go with some sort of cover if the marks are bad. Since my kids are all in college, I could threaten them with bodily harm if they put feet on the seats now but back when they were little guys if they had been in such a little car, I'm afraid it would been a losing battle.

No driving for Bernard lately... my husband had his hip replacement surgery on Tuesday and so I'm at home being Florence Nightingale now that he's out of the hospital. When he can go out in the car, I'm afraid that I'll be piloting the Tahoe so that he doesn't overbend the new joint. for Bernard, but for my husband who at day 2 was already feeling better than before surgery!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim

No driving for Bernard lately... my husband had his hip replacement surgery on Tuesday and so I'm at home being Florence Nightingale now that he's out of the hospital. When he can go out in the car, I'm afraid that I'll be piloting the Tahoe so that he doesn't overbend the new joint. for Bernard, but for my husband who at day 2 was already feeling better than before surgery!
Hope the recovery continues to go well!!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Woohoo! I just ordered the Alcantara JCW steering wheel with the CF center insert. Hope to have it installed within a week or so.
Nice!! Is it also multi-function?

Old 11-09-2008, 11:29 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Nice!! Is it also multi-function?
Yes, but I will not be able to put the CF inserts on the side where the MFSW buttons are, just the lower/center one, but that one also has the JCW logo on it. I saw a JCW Clubman with that same setup at Petit Le Mans and it looked great.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Yes, but I will not be able to put the CF inserts on the side where the MFSW buttons are, just the lower/center one, but that one also has the JCW logo on it. I saw a JCW Clubman with that same setup at Petit Le Mans and it looked great.
Cool!!!! I think I saw one on a JCW here in Houston that was one of the ones with the launch package!!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
Another nod for Nero! The stuff is awesome. I bought it from Detailers Paradise (the makers of Nero and all of the other Prima products).... if you go to the detailing forum here on the boards you'll become a Prima convert when you read all of the good reviews.

I've still got to order something for the leather seats though. I'll either go with the Prima Nourish or the Griots Leathercare.... anybody use either?

Kechman, I'd say go with some sort of cover if the marks are bad. Since my kids are all in college, I could threaten them with bodily harm if they put feet on the seats now but back when they were little guys if they had been in such a little car, I'm afraid it would been a losing battle.

gbsim - hope your hubby recovers fast! Yes, probably a good idea to use the Tahoe until he is back to his normal self again.

My last resort will be to put on seat covers... we'll see if the back of the seats survive the winter with the rugrats in the back seats every day

re: Nourish - yes, I use Nourish and like it a lot. Am even thinking of applying some on my leather sofa at home. Gives the leather a nice sheen (similar to Nero) and makes the interior smell like a leather factory, if only for a few days. Not everyone likes the smell as it may be strong for some, but I love it. Never used Griots before ...

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group