1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 32 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 PM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sikamini
Please do!!!
I did notice there is a limit on pics due to size in the gallery, I wonder if there is a way to reduce their size after they are already loaded?
I posted pictures!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
I did notice there is a limit on pics due to size in the gallery, I wonder if there is a way to reduce their size after they are already loaded?
I don't know about reducing after loading, but I just use a utility on my Macintosh to quickly reduce the size of pictures before I upload them. For you Mac users, it's called ImageWell, and it's quite handy for croping and resizing pictures. I generally reduce the size (and crop if necessary) to get the final picture to about 600x800 pixels.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LaurenC
I posted pictures!
LaurenC - gorgeous MINI! That Lightning Blue is really a rich-looking color. I like the way it looks lighter or darker depending on the light. Thanks for posting the pictures!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:26 AM
WhiteLightning08
2nd Gear
Well, week 32ers - I think I have my first warranty issue.

My passenger window upon opening the door goes down too far, and is very slow. Typically, you open the door and the window ooches (scientific term - LOL) down about 1/4 inch and it goes pretty quickly. The passenger door window now goes down about an inch when you open the door and seems slow. When you close the door, it goes back up all the way, but something is not right.

In addition, ever since delivery, I started to notice a buzz in the dash. It hasn't gone away, so I'm going to have them check it when the look at the window. I have narrowed down the location to right behind where the start button/key insert is, and it typically happens right around 2500 rpm when accelerating. Anyone else have or had this?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I posted pictures!
Great pics!!!! Beautiful MINI!! Got any interior shots?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning08
Well, week 32ers - I think I have my first warranty issue.

My passenger window upon opening the door goes down too far, and is very slow. Typically, you open the door and the window ooches (scientific term - LOL) down about 1/4 inch and it goes pretty quickly. The passenger door window now goes down about an inch when you open the door and seems slow. When you close the door, it goes back up all the way, but something is not right.

In addition, ever since delivery, I started to notice a buzz in the dash. It hasn't gone away, so I'm going to have them check it when the look at the window. I have narrowed down the location to right behind where the start button/key insert is, and it typically happens right around 2500 rpm when accelerating. Anyone else have or had this?
Sorry to hear about your window!! Have you contacted the dealer already? Might be just something minor, but at any rate that should be easily fixable. Just make sure they put your door panels back without a rattle!!
That buzz sound like somethings loose!!

I've on occasion heard something in the dash window area that sounds like a bearing rolling when I take a turn - but I don't hear it all the time. I've been wondering if something fell from a tree maybe or maybe a squirrel left Hilla a present. I found a couple of acorns near the wiper blades once - I usually park in the garage, but sometimes I need to use the garage as my shop!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Doors and windows?

Probably a silly or ignorant question... but what's the connection between opening the passenger door and the window going down? My windows seem to only go down when I press the toggle switch or when I unlock the car and hold the key button down long enough to lower them. Have I've missed something

Old 11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Great pics!!!! Beautiful MINI!! Got any interior shots?
I have one from the first day I bought it, a bit grainy because i was in the garage at the time. I uploaded it. Nothing too interesting in their the only things I added where the chrome lined interior and the mutli function leather wheel, everything else is standard. Oh and its automatic.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PhantomMC
Probably a silly or ignorant question... but what's the connection between opening the passenger door and the window going down? My windows seem to only go down when I press the toggle switch or when I unlock the car and hold the key button down long enough to lower them. Have I've missed something
The front doors don't have a window frame to hold the glass. When you open the door the windows roll down a quarter inch, so that you can shut it without smashing the window from the sudden pressure created by sealing the inside. Once the door is shut -- allowing the excess volume of air to escape the car, thus normalizing the pressure -- the windows roll up that quarter inch again. It happens very quickly. My M3 worked the same way.

Without that mechanism it would be too easy to blow out the windows by slamming the door shut.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
The front doors don't have a window frame to hold the glass. When you open the door the windows roll down a quarter inch, so that you can shut it without smashing the window from the sudden pressure created by sealing the inside. Once the door is shut -- allowing the excess volume of air to escape the car, thus normalizing the pressure -- the windows roll up that quarter inch again. It happens very quickly. My M3 worked the same way.

Without that mechanism it would be too easy to blow out the windows by slamming the door shut.
Thanks very much for the explanation. I have never noticed the windows moving at all. I will watch closely next time I open the door. I assume it is perceptible if one looks closely.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Thanks very much for the explanation. I have never noticed the windows moving at all. I will watch closely next time I open the door. I assume it is perceptible if one looks closely.
If you open and close ever so gently, you can see it happen. It really is only about a 1/4" barely enough to clear the rubber seal.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
I have one from the first day I bought it, a bit grainy because i was in the garage at the time. I uploaded it. Nothing too interesting in their the only things I added where the chrome lined interior and the mutli function leather wheel, everything else is standard. Oh and its automatic.
Nice colors very clean!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 PM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
If you open and close ever so gently, you can see it happen. It really is only about a 1/4" barely enough to clear the rubber seal.
I looked closely and did see the window move slightly. But even better, now I know what makes that sound that's something between a whoosh and a thump just after I close the door. It seems it's the window going back up. I have always wondered what that sound was. Thanks again, RaceTripper, for the explanation. I'm always learning something new!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
WhiteLightning08
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear about your window!! Have you contacted the dealer already? Might be just something minor, but at any rate that should be easily fixable. Just make sure they put your door panels back without a rattle!!

That buzz sound like somethings loose!!
Really, I'm just trying to bump this to 100 pages... But...

We are calling the dealer tomorrow to schedule time to take it in. The buzz really only does it upon acceleration at about 2 and a quarter or 2 and a half rpm. It's kind of weird, and I hope it is something simple that won't take dismantling the whole dash. I don't suspect it will, due to the fact that I can hold my head close to the key/ignition switch area and hear it. I'll update when I find anything out.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM
mrwickham
2nd Gear
I think I can join the list of first issues. On my ride home tonight the Pass Air Bag is Off kept lighting up. It seemed to do it whenever I braked. The temps were above freezing today, so I don't think it's weather related. Strange. I'll keep monitoring.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
mrwickham, did you have something sitting on the passenger seat? That would cause the airbag off light to go on. It's weight sensitive.

The windows - is a BMW design, different but it works!

I received my custom license plate yesterday... yes, yes - I'll put it on and take a picture!!

I really was hoping not to have to bring my car in for anything - but the passenger side rattle is louder and is starting to drive me nuts!! I thought it was in the back speaker.. but I am not too sure. Other then that - Lucy is just perfect!! LOVE the price of gas and filled her up with premium gas yesterday - and the whole thing was less then $30.00!! Before we got rid of the SUV, it cost us $85.00 for non premium, and we got half the mpg!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I discovered one of my rattles is the frame around the rear sunroof. A few punches and it seems to have disappeared for now. Yay.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 AM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
Hey, fellow 32ers,

My first issue, too - driver's side heated seat doesn't work. Oh noes!!!!

Seriously, no big deal, but it's getting cold out, and I did pay for it, so I need to take it to the dealer to have it looked at. Someday. When I have time. No, really!

-Will

Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 AM
PhantomMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wgrzanic
Hey, fellow 32ers,

Seriously, no big deal, but it's getting cold out, and I did pay for it, so I need to take it to the dealer to have it looked at. Someday. When I have time. No, really!

-Will
I have never had heated seats... never thought I'd care... but I'm starting to believe that they are the best "feature" on the car. With the days getting colder, it is so wonderful to get in a cold car and be warm in a matter of a couple minutes. I just turn on the seat heater, let it warm me up, then in about 10 minutes, I turn on the car heater. It is so nice. If it were me, I'd be getting it fixed now.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
LaurenC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mrwickham
I think I can join the list of first issues. On my ride home tonight the Pass Air Bag is Off kept lighting up. It seemed to do it whenever I braked. The temps were above freezing today, so I don't think it's weather related. Strange. I'll keep monitoring.
Yea it sounds like you had something on the seat, it doesnt even have to be something really heavy. I noticed it when I first got my mini. If i have a purse it doesnt set it off, but when i am going to work I carry my lap top and whatever book i am reading (there is alot of downtime where I work) and its too heavy and the light goes off. So i just put my stuff on the passanger side floor.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tu13es
I discovered one of my rattles is the frame around the rear sunroof. A few punches and it seems to have disappeared for now. Yay.
Was it the interior plastic frame? It seems a bit light to be punched? Mine is a bit looser on one side than the other, which occasionally produces a slight vibrating sound. Since it doesn't do it very often I haven't really looked into it. I've been wondering how the interior frame is attached?

The oddest thing happened this morning, on my drive back from dropping my wife off at work, radio controls both on the radio and steering wheel stopped working, computer toggle switch didn't work, and so on!! I thought at first that the radio went bad! Drove home, let her sit a while, and restarted without the key and noticed that my backup screen wouldn't come on when I shifted in reverse and the above controls still didn't work. Let it sit again for a couple of minutes and this time used the actual key and the systems came online and everything worked okay! I had gone back into the garage and I was about to make a list of things that don't work, so I could describe and try to figure out what controls all those systems, but since it started to work I'm not sure what to make of it.

Last edited by sikamini; 11-13-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 AM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
I have never had heated seats... never thought I'd care... but I'm starting to believe that they are the best "feature" on the car. With the days getting colder, it is so wonderful to get in a cold car and be warm in a matter of a couple minutes. I just turn on the seat heater, let it warm me up, then in about 10 minutes, I turn on the car heater. It is so nice. If it were me, I'd be getting it fixed now.
Well, I never really got to use mine, so maybe I'm just not spoiled by it yet. We'll see, if I get it fixed and it breaks again someday, if it isn't harder to put off getting it repaired next time!

-Will

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wgrzanic
Hey, fellow 32ers,

-Will
Might be an electrical connection if the other seat works.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Yea it sounds like you had something on the seat, it doesnt even have to be something really heavy. I noticed it when I first got my mini. If i have a purse it doesnt set it off, but when i am going to work I carry my lap top and whatever book i am reading (there is alot of downtime where I work) and its too heavy and the light goes off. So i just put my stuff on the passanger side floor.
I didn't know it was that sensitive, I'll have to check it out!!!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I really was hoping not to have to bring my car in for anything - but the passenger side rattle is louder and is starting to drive me nuts!! I thought it was in the back speaker.. but I am not too sure. Other then that - Lucy is just perfect!! LOVE the price of gas and filled her up with premium gas yesterday - and the whole thing was less then $30.00!! Before we got rid of the SUV, it cost us $85.00 for non premium, and we got half the mpg!
Ouch!! $85.00 !!! Have you checked your rear seat to see if it's locked? Or is the noise coming from a panel.

I've had a noise on the passenger side, which I only hear when my wife is not in the car!! Turns out it was the seat belt hitting the hard plastic! It's a bit tight there and so I adjusted the height of the connector on the strap and it reduced the noise a bit, but she keeps on fooling around with it so every couple of days I have to readjust the connector!!!

Quick Reply: Week 32 Support Group