1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All aboard the Western Highway (departed July 11)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even better news! She's there! She appears to be moored in the harbor waiting for a dock slot.

Some details:

Latitude/Longitude: 38.93812˚ / -76.41001˚ (Map)
Speed/Course: 0kn / 191˚
Currently in Port:
Last Known Port: </B>
Info Received: 0days 0hrs 5' 19'' ago

If I'm reading this bit right, ETA: 20/07/2008 09:00:00, she might be able to pull into a spot and begin off-loading today

Last edited by Tex Susbo; 07-20-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM
tkbcruiser
1st Gear
This is great news. Whew, this ship is too much fun....

I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and add that I can now track maritime vessels world wide. How does that sound? Don't forget to update yours.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tex Susbo
Even better news! She's there! She appears to be moored in the harbor waiting for a dock slot.
<snip>
If I'm reading this bit right, ETA: 20/07/2008 09:00:00, she might be able to pull into a spot and begin off-loading today
I'm hopin'!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 AM
davidbod
1st Gear
Well this new site is much better than the one I posted, which is now not updating.

I notice that the ETA now says 7-21 at 0900 hours. The tug Ralph Bouchard was just playing in around the Western Highway and the other 3 ships moored along with her. It now moving off North though.

Facinating.

David

Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by davidbod
I notice that the ETA now says 7-21 at 0900 hours. The tug Ralph Bouchard was just playing in around the Western Highway and the other 3 ships moored along with her. It now moving off North though.
The Fidelio was docked at what looked the the "Mini" dock. She has moved off now and it appears the slip is empty. Hopefully, once they move the off-loaded vehicles clear, the Western Highway is next in line!

At this point, for those of use who need to get to Charleston, there isn't much rush because of Cristobal. Looking at the projected path, by Monday night it should not be much of an issue for us getting to Charleston from Baltimore.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
The Fidelio was docked at what looked the the "Mini" dock. She has moved off now and it appears the slip is empty. Hopefully, once they move the off-loaded vehicles clear, the Western Highway is next in line!
Sounds good. A day early is a day early!

At this point, for those of use who need to get to Charleston, there isn't much rush because of Cristobal. Looking at the projected path, by Monday night it should not be much of an issue for us getting to Charleston from Baltimore.
Yep, it looks like it'll go north past the MD shore tomorrow, and if WH sails tomorrow afternoon or evening, she'll be out of the remnants before Tuesday AM.

I'm hopin. Looks like we'll lose tracking as she goes south though. There's always the OL...

Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 AM
TheMysteriousX
1st Gear
Thank you one and all for this most informative thread, my dealer (Knauz Mini, Lake Bluff, IL) has been a blackhole of information. If it wasn't for NAM, I would be totally lost.

I have a, as yet unnamed, PS/PS Clubman S (sports suspension/limited slip posi/panoramic sunroof/cold weather pkg/lifetime sat radio).

Ordered on 4/28/08 (then the dealership forgets to send the order to the factory - thank God I didnot wait longer than 3 weeks to ask about the production number) which led to her being born on 7/5/08. Maybe she'll be christened something patriotic, yes?

Oh the vinyl graphics fun we are going to have! The starting point? I have two words for you - Invasion Stripes. (length-wise)

Okay I have to go now, this much giddiness 4 hours before I am supposed to wake up is not good for me.

Last edited by TheMysteriousX; 07-21-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 AM
DMAC57
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TheMysteriousX
Thank you one and all for this most informative thread, my dealer (Knauz Mini, Lake Bluff, IL) has been a blackhole of information. If it wasn't for NAM, I would be totally lost.
You have a PM

Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM
davidbod
1st Gear
I think she has already offloaded in MD and left for Charleston. She doesn't show up on marinetraffic.com so must not be in the Chesapeake Bay area any longer. Looking at vessel history, I found the page below. This indicates her last position as docked on 7-21-2008 at 10:42 AM (UTC). I think that would be 5:42 AM EST.

http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default...010:42:10%20AM

Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Wouldn't it be great if she arrived in Charleston a day early

Although, I bet Cristobal has created a bit of a traffic jam, as ships already in port could not leave. If she can scoot down the coast, she might be able to slip in ahead of other traffic waiting for the storm to pass to the north.

Neptune might be smiling on us after all.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Nah, she's still there. Marinetraffic.com has her as moored. But, there was one of the MINI ships that turned around there really fast yesterday, so...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
She wasn't showing up this morning, so its good to have her back on the radar. I checked the Port of Charleston website, and they still show her arriving on July 24th.

Since we in port, lets get some crab! First pitcher of beer is on me

Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear

Some details:

Latitude/Longitude: 38.93812˚ / -76.41001˚ (Map)
Speed/Course: 0kn / 191˚
Currently in Port:
Last Known Port: </B>
Info Received: 0days 0hrs 5' 19'' ago

I have a dumb question so please bear with me. I'm trying to use marinetraffic.com to locate my ship but the website always defaults me to the Aegean Sea. I can move across the globe but then I can't get any vessels to show up. Help!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
BDHender
1st Gear
Anyone know how the cars get from the Port of Charleston to the VDC at Greer?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jjkell
I have a dumb question so please bear with me. I'm trying to use marinetraffic.com to locate my ship but the website always defaults me to the Aegean Sea. I can move across the globe but then I can't get any vessels to show up. Help!
When it comes up on the Aegean, click on the "search by vessel" menu, and then start typing in Western---it will get close then you can scroll down and click on the name of the ship. Then it will center on where it is.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:56 PM
SilverBullet82
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BDHender
Anyone know how the cars get from the Port of Charleston to the VDC at Greer?
It's most likely by rail carrier - you can see the loading tracks next to the docks in Google Earth. The Norfolk Southern (NS) and CSXT both serve 9or have access to) the port of Charleston. I believe the NS has a rail station called 'BMW' just outside of Spartanburg, SC - I didn't see anything on the CSXT map that shows they serve the VDC though. You should be able to obtain rail event history as the train passes various scanners via the rail carrier websites using your VIN as a reference number.

On a plus note, auto, intermodal, and coal trains have top priority on the North American railways, so the move from the port to the VDC should be very quick!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Beach Girl Lynn
5th Gear
Hey BD - our MA told us that the minis go from the Charleston port by rail to Greenville where they'll make sure our minis did not incur any damage in transit. (Maybe they partied too hard on their cruise!) Then they go back to Charleston (or at least the ones who go to the dealer there).

Old 07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Luthien
Neutral
Howdy from San Antonio!

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking since my hubby bought an '07 BRG/B with stripes.

It seems that Ms. Rose Tyler is with the rest of your babies on the Western Highway. I can't wait for her to get here, but I do hope I can sell my "old" car before she arrives. My MA said she should be at the dealer next Thursday.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
SilverBullet82
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Luthien
It seems that Ms. Rose Tyler is with the rest of your babies on the Western Highway.
Great name!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hoonu
When it comes up on the Aegean, click on the "search by vessel" menu, and then start typing in Western---it will get close then you can scroll down and click on the name of the ship. Then it will center on where it is.
Thanks for the help hoonu. Unfortunately my ship's (OTELLO) position is shown as of eight days ago. Maybe they'll update it soon.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 AM
BDHender
1st Gear
Do I see that right. It looks like she went across the bay and parked again in what appears to be a heavy equipment unloading area.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Well, the satellite view shows it moored the same place I saw it yesterday. Vesseltracker appears to show it down in the more open part of the Cheapeake Bay, but on my browser, the ship itself doesn't show up. And, of course, sailwx is not responding.

Anybody want to go to Charleston and wait?

Okay, I switched to Firefox, and it shows an anchor for the ship's position. She's moving down through the Bay.

Is it the 24th yet?

Last edited by hoonu; 07-22-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
The google earth application with the vessel tracker plug-in gives a sweet view.

She is still moored at the unloading dock. The anchor in the bay means she's at anchor in the harbor.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
The google earth application with the vessel tracker plug-in gives a sweet view.
Where/how do you get that? I don't see anywhere in my Google Earth to add anything like that.

Sitting at the dock.
AUGH!

Is anybody besides me ready to have their car?

I'll go sit down in the corner for a while.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Tex Susbo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hoonu
Is anybody besides me ready to have their car?
I'll go sit down in the corner for a while.
I'm trying the deep breathing method. In through your nose, and out through your mouth. If this is a sneak preview, the ride on the truck will be very challenging. No tracking, nothing!

Quick Reply: All aboard the Western Highway (departed July 11)