1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When does twelve weeks seem like tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008 | 01:13 PM
Barley
|
3rd Gear
When does twelve weeks seem like tomorrow?

When you hear the clubman you're trying to order might be available in, say, 8 months...

Regardless, we put down the deposit etc. It's sort of surreal. Hard to feel it's real when it's months before a waitlist even turns into a proper order. Feels about as solid as asking the mall Santa for a pony. Or, I guess, with delivery suspected in March, maybe more like asking the Easter Bunny for a solid white-chocolate, life-size mini.

I'm looking on the bright side, though. Given I'm in my fifties, it's a good incentive to eat right and exercise, to increase the odds I'll live long enough to take delivery!

I tried to get the list of names of the people ahead of me so I could, uh, erm, have a word with them, but it was no-go. So I promised the MA that I'd call once a month to change every line of my order until he slipped me in early to stop the madness. I might have to step that up to weekly.

Old 07-14-2008 | 01:33 PM
revray
4th Gear
Or, you could just decide to not buy at Burger King (i.e. have it your way), and instead buy a used MINI, instead of a new Clubman. I know all the arguments, but it beats having to wait.

Old 07-14-2008 | 01:41 PM
Barley
|
3rd Gear
True enough! A regular MINI isn't going to fly for us though, and used or even "lot" Clubmans are thin on the ground in any configuration we'd go for. But you are absolutely right - the cost of control is money AND time.

Old 07-14-2008 | 04:20 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
8 months?! Wow. Now I feel like a sissy moaning about 8 weeks!

Old 07-14-2008 | 05:54 PM
Barley
|
3rd Gear
Looking forward to pics in your gallery. This week's configuration is PW and includes the chrome line exterior, oak, and UJ scuttles. There's a PW/B MC in our neighborhood and that white is deluxe. I'd love a close-up of the UJ against the PW. Ditto the chrome exterior bits. My wife is skeptical of my judgment. (insert joke here)

Old 07-14-2008 | 06:54 PM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
Im waiting 2 months for mine. I swear everyday waiting for it gets really painful... lol

Old 07-14-2008 | 09:44 PM
tboner4me
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Barley
When you hear the clubman you're trying to order might be available in, say, 8 months...
8 months is a really long time to wait. I'm having a hard time waiting another week to pick ours up. It seems that the Pac NW is the longest wait in the nation (Portland and Seattle) - but didn't I read somewhere that the Seattle area was going to have another dealer soon? Don't know when/if that will happen, but it might be an option. Also, the East Coast dealers seem to either have a larger allotment or don't sell as many cars, because many (MINI?) of them seem to have a much shorter wait time. MINI of the Hamptons advertises here on NAM of immediate production and delivery anywhere in the US for $500 over MSRP (thats including the delivery, although its almost certainly an open truck). Still, it would probably turn that 8 month wait into something closer to 8 weeks...

Old 07-15-2008 | 07:33 AM
Barley
|
3rd Gear
It's certainly a puzzlement how an area as big as the entire NW has such a small allocation. Population density I guess.

Months --> Weeks. $500 delivered coast-to-coast? Hmmm.

Old 07-15-2008 | 07:46 AM
mini_muddeatr
3rd Gear
Q: When does twelve weeks seem like tomorrow?
A: 11 Weeks, 6 Days

Old 07-15-2008 | 08:39 AM
mwedge
3rd Gear
Looking forward to pics in your gallery. This week's configuration is PW and includes the chrome line exterior, oak, and UJ scuttles. There's a PW/B MC in our neighborhood and that white is deluxe. I'd love a close-up of the UJ against the PW. Ditto the chrome exterior bits. My wife is skeptical of my judgment. (insert joke here)
Here are the Black Jack scuttles on my PW MC.

Last edited by mwedge; 07-15-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2008 | 08:43 AM
Barley
|
3rd Gear
Nice. I'm a fan of subtle touches.

Old 07-15-2008 | 09:01 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Q: When does twelve weeks seem like tomorrow?
A: The day of, when just about to arrive at the dealer, and going to see it for the first time - will still seem like forever.

In 02 I waited from July to the end of Dec, just under 6 months - It seemed like it may never arrive.

Good luck,

Nik

Old 07-15-2008 | 04:56 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
We are swapping out the chrome mirror caps, though, for the black ones. As much as I like chrome, and plenty of it, the mirror caps seem like overkill. I can't wait to see him either! He's in Southhampton now, waiting for a boat.

If you're like me, you'll be 100% sure of a color combo until just before your deadline, then waffle with some other color (for me it was CR). The PW/B was my first choice. Go with your gut, I say.

Old 07-15-2008 | 05:06 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Well, that is a long time. When waiting a couple of months for my MINI S, I simply concentrated on work. Maybe you can do this? I guess you can't surf more there in Portland, either.

Old 07-15-2008 | 05:57 PM
Noodle
1st Gear
By the time its done I will have waited 7 weeks to the day. I suppose that falls in the 6 to 8 week category that they told me when I ordered it. My wife said that I haven't been this annoying since I quit caffine a number of years back. I am picking up my order from Rasmussen on Saturday.