1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much @*$)#@&! longer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Winkley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much @*$)#@&! longer?

Aarrrgh! It's getting a little frustrating now. I knew there would be a wait when I ordered my Red, 2008 Cooper S Convertible with Premium Package on May 19th. The dealer said that delivery was scheduled for 6/24. He must have meant production.

I waited and waited, "tracking my baby" a few times a day until it was, at last, scheduled for production. Okay, so what does that mean? Well, of course I had to check the owners lounge even more often!

All right--it was now awaiting transport. It couldn't be too much longer. I finally found the VIN number on the owners lounge and used it to track its cargo ship, the Asian Chorus. I found its next tracking point was the Panama Canal, which was sometime around June 27, and it would finally be in Port Hueneme, CA on July 3!

Well, July 3 arrived, so I though, "OK, maybe a couple of days at the distribution center, a day at the dealer, and then I get it!" Wrong. Of course, the Independence Day weekend probably delayed it. I'm sure nobody worked that weekend. So, maybe Monday and Tuesday at the distribution center, then Wednesday at the dealer in Monrovia, then at my house on Thursday. Wrong.

I obsessive-compulsively kept checking the owners lounge and found a scheduled delivery date of Friday, July 11. Okay. So a day at the dealer, and I get the car on Saturday or Sunday--Monday at the latest. About 4:00 on Friday I still hadn't heard anything from the dealer, so I gave my MA a call. He said that it should be coming in today (Friday), and I would probably get it some time at the beginning of the week. AARGH!

Okay. I've waited this long, which I guess is probably no worse than anyone else has waited, so a couple more days wouldn't kill me. Monday arrives, and I continue to check the owners lounge every hour on the hour, just to see it still reading "at distribution center" and scheduled delivery date of 7/11, three days ago.

It's now twenty-to-twelve on Monday night, and I'm still obsessing. Will I finally get the call tomorrow? Maybe Wednesday. Thursday? Nah, they'll probably wait until Friday when I go on vacation.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 AM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Let not your heart be troubled lest you have a heart attack!

I'm also waiting but from what I've read you'll forget all about the wait when your baby is finally in your hands.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:16 AM
krim
5th Gear
Your baby didn't arrive on friday, everyone was already there on friday. Monrovia's lot was completely filled thursday, no place for the customers to park even.

Which one was yours? I probably fondled yours while I was waiting to drive mine home.
If you called at 4pm, i was probably there to hear the phone call. I hope your MA isn't that asian dude, or the blond guy. they're jerks.
Who's your MA, i'd call again instead of relying on the OL (OL is always lagging behind).

Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be one of those "I found all of my Christmas presents under my mom's bed and opened them all cause I couldn't wait" kind of guy........

Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Winkley
Neutral
Roger Bader is my MA. I just talked with him and IT STILL HAS NOT COME IN YET!!!!!! It was supposed to be there on the 11th, but he said it didn't arrive. Now he says there are 4 coming in today. If mine is not on there, I may go to a different dealer and get one that is in stock. (Edit: I just checked online, and there aren't any others that I want.)

On the positive side (I guess), this gave me time to research financing. I found 4.5% from Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I think someone else on North American Motoring also mentioned them. Anyone can join by paying a $15 membership and opening a savings account with $5.

Also on the positive side, I had a chance to get my old car appraised and sold. CarMax was going to give me 2k for it, but Cash4usedcars.net gave me $2500. I probably could have gotten more through Autotrader, Cars.com, or Ebay, but I didn't really want to deal with the hassle of getting another smog check and dealing with my personalized plates.

Still, I'm ready for my $#(%&@(# car!

Last edited by Winkley; 07-15-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling mistake, added information
Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Winkley
Roger Bader is my MA. I just talked with him and IT STILL HAS NOT COME IN YET!!!!!! It was supposed to be there on the 11th, but he said it didn't arrive. Now he says there are 4 coming in today. If mine is not on there, I may go to a different dealer and get one that is in stock. (Edit: I just checked online, and there aren't any others that I want.)

On the positive side (I guess), this gave me time to research financing. I found 4.5% from Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I think someone else on North American Motoring also mentioned them. Anyone can join by paying a $15 membership and opening a savings account with $5.

Also on the positive side, I had a chance to get my old car appraised and sold. CarMax was going to give me 2k for it, but Cash4usedcars.net gave me $2500. I probably could have gotten more through Autotrader, Cars.com, or Ebay, but I didn't really want to deal with the hassle of getting another smog check and dealing with my personalized plates.

Still, I'm ready for my $#(%&@(# car!
Roger is your MA too? A bit hard to understand, but he's probably the best MA there. Ask him about his trip to Alaska while you're sitting around waiting for the finance people after you pick up. I guess you were the one that called when I was talking to him, IIRC, you were one hold for a few minutes and he told you something about it being at the VDC waiting for a truck. I was sitting next to him, so i saw you on the sheet, if your surname has about 8 or 9 characters, maybe with a S or Z in it, you were the one that called.

I did Penfed, there's numerous threads about it, but MAKE SURE they know you need to have Penfed as the lienholder before you start signing things. It'll go easier for you if you do that before the finance people start printing things out.

Also, if you havne't already considered Lojack, they'll offer it for $500, as opposed to $704. Check with your insurance company on how much it'll lower your rates if you haven't considered it.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Winkley
Neutral
Originally Posted by ScottinBend

Must be one of those "I found all of my Christmas presents under my mom's bed and opened them all cause I couldn't wait" kind of guy........
Santa never told me the presents would be delivered on the 25th and left me hangin' for a couple weeks.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to laugh at you new owners.............

Should have to make you wait for 6 months like most of us oldtimers did.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
krim
5th Gear
any progress?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 AM
Winkley
Neutral
Did I call it or what? Well, I guess, not exactly. I guessed that I'd get the call Friday when I went on vacation. I actually didn't get the call until Sunday, July 20. Roger gave me a call as my wife and I were eating lunch at Orsay's on the Upper East Side of New York City. We got back late Friday night, picked it up Saturday afternoon and took it for a spin along Angeles Crest. Tomorrow the family comes to check out the NYC pics and the car.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:11 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Winkley
Did I call it or what? Well, I guess, not exactly. I guessed that I'd get the call Friday when I went on vacation. I actually didn't get the call until Sunday, July 20. Roger gave me a call as my wife and I were eating lunch at Orsay's on the Upper East Side of New York City. We got back late Friday night, picked it up Saturday afternoon and took it for a spin along Angeles Crest. Tomorrow the family comes to check out the NYC pics and the car.

You got it!
Congratulations!