1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM
spark
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new

Hi All!

I feel like I stumbled into MINI-world.

We've needed to find a car to replace my husband's 1990 celica all-trac. We started *thinking* about getting rid of it 10 years ago in anticipation of our first child, but neither of us could stomach driving what we could afford at the time, so I stuck the baby in the celica and we made due.

So it's now ten years later and he's got an itch to buy a car. He's test-driven a few "regular" cars, but nothing has been quite right. Then one morning at the dentist I saw a photo of an odd-looking brown MINI on the back of a New Yorker magazine. I lifted the mag (returned it later!) and asked my husband to please go test-drive the clubman so we could rule it out if he didn't like it. Days, then weeks go by. One recent Saturday, we left the kids (now there are two) with the grandparents and headed off to the closest MINI dealer JUST to look, and maybe drive. An hour or so later, after finally seeing a clubman (nicer in person), we drove a Cooper. O.M.G. We placed a deposit on a clubman coming in in a few days and left with plans to put the celica on the market.

So away from the pressure of the dealer, we got online and used the configurator to build a car we wanted, and found it was not at all what we were getting. Canceled deposit. Found another dealer. We've got a deposit down again now, but are waiting for a slot to order an '09.

I feel pregnant (without the nausea, etc.)! We have no idea when we'll be getting the (yet to be named) car. Could be October. Could be next year. It's all I can do to not call and bug my MA. So I've been spending time here (and re-configuring the car when the whim strikes -- which is embarrassingly frequent).

And I'm long-winded.

See you around.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
mini01770
3rd Gear
Yes, once bitten by the MINI bug, you do spend quite a bit of time fine tuning what you have already ordered.

Welcome to NAM, check out the Clubman threads, a ton of good info over there as well.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Welcome to the MINIverse.

Your symptoms are classic and well understood in this virtual group therapy session.

Your dealer should be able to give you a rough idea of when you are likely to be assigned by the dealer to one of their production numbers. As soon as you know the production number you can learn the production week. Then you can huddle with a group going through the same drama.

In the end it is all good.

Enjoy.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OWG
Welcome to the MINIverse.

Your symptoms are classic and well understood in this virtual group therapy session.

Your dealer should be able to give you a rough idea of when you are likely to be assigned by the dealer to one of their production numbers. As soon as you know the production number you can learn the production week. Then you can huddle with a group going through the same drama.

In the end it is all good.

Enjoy.
Yeah, what he said. This is a great support group. Welcome! You've made a wise choice.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Congrats on ordering the Clubman which is excellent for kids, and it has the leg room for them to grow into. Hope times flies by for your order. "Long winded"? On NAM? Impossible. This is one cool chatty group.

CROC 411