1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI ordering on Hold in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI ordering on Hold in the US?

Hi,

I was just informed (after waiting since the beginning of July) that all national ordering of MINIs have been put on hold. Allotment, high demand and low supply, and possibly the Euro Holidays are to blame. I've been really patient so far and will continue to zen my way until I get that production number. I'e seen that a few others have been able to get into production recently and I commend you all on your great luck. All I can do now is wait. And wait. Maybe I'll just run over to Mtn View MINI and test drive a 6 spd just in case.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Riffster
4th Gear

What?!??!
How long are they going to be put on hold??

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Ehh.. I think someone's yankin yer chain. MA says that their next 70 or so MINIs are already sold, but there is no national hold as far as he's aware.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
LaserSpeeder
1st Gear
I am really sorry to hear this.....

.....is it a Clubman you want to order? I heard that COOPER and COOPER S builds are fast and that the long wait is for Clubman, but maybe I am wrong.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Do you think that the wait for the Clubman is longer because the Clubman is longer?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Riffster
4th Gear
I was thinking the OP was talkin about a clubman. Maybe the MA just said this to excuse the long wait for the clubman so ppl dont get restless.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Y'know, it might be that the allotments for the rest of the model year are done, and they're going to start back up after the equipment changeover for 09 (particularly for Cabrios)... but the OP even states that he put down money for an 08. Odd.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
I'm just ordering an MC, nice and nifty, with a bunch of pkgs. The MA's been very nice so far. I don't think he's yankin' anything. Might just be the ol' allotment thing. I'm definitely getting an '08 though.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I know someone who ordered a JCW Clubman S on Monday and got a production number later on that day. I don't think it has gone into actual production yet though.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
I just wanted to give closure to this thread and thank everyone for their advice, comments. Allocation came in and I got my production number the other day. They will be building an 09 for me. The price went up a bit, but I'm quite okay with it. I have a MINI in my future! I now get to update my signature! Good luck to all of you who are still waiting for your MINIs (and those who are fortunate to have one or more!

Thanks all!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you buying from MoMV?

and did they hit you up for the mark-up?

Matt

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
Concord. no markup. happiness.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Calmante
3rd Gear
Sounds like someone was trying to get you to not visit another dealer, Millie. And when I say, "Sounds like," I mean: They definitely were trying to get you to not go to another dealer.

A national hold? Gimme a break.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Kunobaby
1st Gear
I heard

At the Monrovia Mini dealer in SoCal, I heard from someone who went to the dealer for a test drive (no cars to test drive) the wait time for a custom Mini Cooper is 3~4 months. A Clubman is 8 months.

Enjoy!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 AM
DoubleO
2nd Gear
When I ordered my MCSC, I was given a 10-12 week waiting period. In that time I have seen many others (lots of clubmans) order and receive theirs, including one from my dealer that went into productions days after being ordered (but not a MCSC). But, I am receiving mine just about on time (s/b no later than week 13).

I believe that the dealers know exactly how many slots they have available for each model and for each production week. Yes, Calmante is probably right... they didn't want you to go another dealer.

I really wish I knew how the production number system worked prior to ordering my MINI, but, I understand that my dealer is pretty good, so maybe it is better I had a longer wait and a good dealer than a shorter wait and poor service.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
Whether it trying to keep me from going to another dealer or whatever, they were the only ones willing to strike up a conversation and be friendly about the whole car buying process. I got late form letters from Pleasanton and goofy smugness from MoMV. Either way the dealers have us going because we are (and now I can say I am proud to ba a part of) the MINI People.

I'll take a dealer that is at least willing to be efficiently responsive to my emails/calls before AND after the sale rather than a dealer who checks up on me sporatically with form letters from various people within the dealership to "feel me out." When I reply to their emails I get silence.

In the end I agree with all of you, it's all business, it's all car sales. And then you go with whoever you feel comfortable with.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's dealer dependant...

Originally Posted by Kunobaby
At the Monrovia Mini dealer in SoCal, I heard from someone who went to the dealer for a test drive (no cars to test drive) the wait time for a custom Mini Cooper is 3~4 months. A Clubman is 8 months.

Enjoy!
As stated in another post, each dealership gets a certain amount of cars, and depending on thier order list, they have different wait times. when I first bought in 02, one local dealer was quoting 18 months! Where I bought, it was about 12 weeks....

Matt

Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 PM
H8w8in
2nd Gear
I hope he's wrong. I ordered mine on 7/7/08 , and got the production # in like 2 days. Now when I call to find out about it , all it says it something like "its scheduled for production with no set date yet"......Boy I can't wait for it. I sold my 04MCS about 8 months ago , I sure do miss it!