1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini too small?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:28 AM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
Mini too small?

Hello NAM!

I am still a new member and this Saturday I am going to order my MINI. Only thing holding me back for over a month now is my own mind. I have to reprogram myself to look at the MINI as the all around great car it is.

Want a sports car = 2009 MINI S JCW
Want a commuter = 2009 MINI S JCW
A car with front wheel drive for snow = a MINI
A car with good gas miliage = a MINI

I am 36 with a daughter and one on the way, and this will be my train car, my commuter, and my "sports car". My wife is behind it and we went last week but walked out without ordering because I was on fence. You can fit two child seats in back with room for adults up front. My wife got in back and I sat up front with good leg room for most. And when we talked about the fact that 90% of time I am in car alone, I think that clinched it.
SATURDAY is the day, 2009 MINI S JCW package! and then I have to wait.

Plus I just saw a SMART car and that's SMALL, LOL. MINI looks like a Caddy next to that.

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:35 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
If you're looking for support: I'm sorry...I don't understand the arguments AGAINST getting the MINI???

The only thing I'd wonder about is the JCW (i really really want that myself!)...with kids, the Clubman seems to be the way to go there...And notice, we're still talking purchase in the realm of MINI.

GO FOR THE MINI!!! These cars are AWESOME sports / family / commuter vehicles...And the crash test rating!? Outstanding. You also sound like a valid candidate for OCMD - Obsessive Compulsive MINI Disorder. Welcome to the club!

Good luck and Happy motoring!!

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:36 AM
Mercy
3rd Gear
You should see it next to a real Mini, looks huge and has less legroom!

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:58 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by KGuy

You can fit two child seats in back with room for adults up front.
Even for extended drives, you can comfortably fit 4 adults if the driver isn't very tall,
or 3 adults and a child if at least one of the adults isn't very tall.

I'm 5'11, and have driven with 4 adults in the car without hearing complaints.
I did move the front seat up a couple inches from its usual position though.

Old 07-30-2008 | 08:13 AM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
x uh oh x - I went through the internal arguements! But common sense won and so did the MINI. When you really think about what you need on a daily basis, the MINI fits the bill. And the JCW takes care of the itch for speed. And the Clubman is nice, but I am an ALL or NONE person! If I buy a MINI, it's a Cooper!
Have you ever driven MINI in snow, if so how deep?
THX

Old 07-30-2008 | 09:59 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
YUP! I drove my '04 MCS (w/sports suspension - more akin to the JCW package) in snow about 3-4" deep. I wasn't thrilled - it ended up being a kind of snow-plow instead of easily coasting over the snow, but I could still drive it. Deep snow, I would suggest NOT. My '07 MCS (no sports suspension) had very little problems w/ the snow between 3-7" deep. I really DID appreciate the DSC in all weather types, though!

Old 07-30-2008 | 04:05 PM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
Thank's uh oh.

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:31 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
You're welcome. (May I also add that I found that the cold weather package was worth EVERY pennY? Never had to scrape my windshield, and those heated seats were SOOOOOO lovely, especially on super cold mornings in the German moutains. )

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:45 PM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
Uh oh, only thing that could scare me off would be mechanical issues. Spent some time reading some discouraging posts on problems. It does make good case for a Honda. I know, I know, and agree that style or drive wize does not compare, but "weeping jets?" or wrinkled chrome hood?" Does make one second guess BEFORE purchase.......

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:00 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
AH, but how MANY people reported those problems? If only one original post-er actually admitted to it, you ought not to read into it. Even if two did...compared to the THOUSANDS of MINI folks with no problem? Honestly, I've never even HEARD of either of those issues. I've never had "rattles" either...

Personally...I've owned two cars. I've loved both cars, never had a problem with either car, and would STILL own both of them if the husband hadn't made me sell the '04. (It was identical to my '07 and we were moving back to the US from Germany.) The only problem in the pre-'07 models I will concede is the windshield issue...for some reason they cracked. Always under warranty, it seems (according to the threads), but...(insert shrug) that's the only one!

I've owned Fords, VWs, a Buick (ew), and a Fiat....MINIs out-trump all of them. I think Fords are 2nd best, but they've been my 2nd most intelligent purchase. MINIs are the way to go!!!

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:03 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Not small at all

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:42 PM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
Uh Oh, VW's were beaten by Ford? I have owned Ford before, and not bad. Never a VW. I did think GTI but never test drove. What keeps me looking at MINI are looks, hands fown over GTI and MPG is better even with JCW

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:44 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
KGuy: have you test driven yet?

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:53 PM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
YES, I have. A MCS, they gave me keys, and took it for about 15 minutes. 6 speed felt great and shorter throws than I expected. Dealer said throws are shorter on the JCW as well.

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:59 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
YES, I have. A MCS, they gave me keys, and took it for about 15 minutes. 6 speed felt great and shorter throws than I expected. Dealer said throws are shorter on the JCW as well.
If you liked the MCS, you'll LOVE the JCW. I was sold when I drove the MCS but had to choose between a used 07 MCS or a new 09 JCW. I drove the JCW next week and it was no question after that.

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:02 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Uh Oh, VW's were beaten by Ford? I have owned Ford before, and not bad. Never a VW. I did think GTI but never test drove. What keeps me looking at MINI are looks, hands fown over GTI and MPG is better even with JCW
Yup - although i have to say it was the Ford F150...They're some of the best/safest trucks on the road. I also owned a '95 Ford Explorer Sport in Germany (my hooopdeee car for winter driving.) Both vehicles lasted, and lasted well -- I still have my F150 Supercrew for hauling and long distance travel w/ big loads. The VWs - well, lets' just say while they were still made in Germany, my family had a "fleet" of them. Bugs, Vans, Jettas. i loved my little Jetta, but it was nowhere near as much fun or as sweet a ride as my MINI.

Old 07-30-2008 | 08:27 PM
INSOC
1st Gear
Not certain about JCW=Good gas ecomomy... Where is that in your list of priorities? The lowest one? I would expect that performance to come at a price if you are using it, and why own it if fuel economy is a high consideration? (33/25/28)

Old 07-31-2008 | 04:10 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Originally Posted by INSOC
Not certain about JCW=Good gas ecomomy... Where is that in your list of priorities? The lowest one? I would expect that performance to come at a price if you are using it, and why own it if fuel economy is a high consideration? (33/25/28)
You'd be hard pressed to find another gasoline fueled car that gets both the performance of the JCW with that kind of gas mileage. That's the way I looked at it, at least.

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:08 AM
KGuy
|
2nd Gear
I think the JCW is a great compromise for fuel economy vs. performance. If you don't get on it, it will be better than or the same as many sub compacts that are comparible. BUT, when you do get that heavy foot, there is torque to back it up. And then add fun factor and handling to it.
Are the throws shorter in JCW Tu13es??

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:12 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I think the JCW is a great compromise for fuel economy vs. performance. If you don't get on it, it will be better than or the same as many sub compacts that are comparible. BUT, when you do get that heavy foot, there is torque to back it up. And then add fun factor and handling to it.
Are the throws shorter in JCW Tu13es??
I can't say for sure, I wasn't really paying attention to the difference. I think so, but I'll let someone else give a more definite answer.

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:58 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I DO wish I'd gotten the JCW...even though I have the turbo....

Old 07-31-2008 | 07:45 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
I still don't get the Smart car at all. It only gets 40 mpg. Its like half the size of my Clubman and I can get over 30 in town if I behave.

What's the incentive? 32mpg is plenty when you can do it fast and with a load of groceries. I drove a Smart car and it is like 0-60 next week.

Old 07-31-2008 | 11:43 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I have two teenagers and a coupe. I love my car, and so do they, so I think you'll be fine space wise.

Yes, Hondas have a longer standing reputation of reliability than MINI does, but having driven both the Civic and the MINI, I'll take the risk of not having the car for quite as long as I might have had a Civic, to gain the increased fun factor. The handling on the MINI is much tighter, and I have fallen so in love with it, that I doubt I will be able to go back to Japanese cars after it.

Old 07-31-2008 | 11:47 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
The handling on the MINI is much tighter, and I have fallen so in love with it, that I doubt I will be able to go back to Japanese cars after it.
I'm gonna tell Viola you said there would be OTHER MINIs!!!!

Old 07-31-2008 | 01:05 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Like others, I have two kids 13, & 11, & they love the mini and have never complained about space in the back seat.

Quick Reply: Mini too small?