1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 36 Model Year 2009 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herby74
Engender.....I think that we'll both make it onto the Tombarra. However, the VIN may not show up until tomorrow. Keep the faith......and relax.
Relax? Relax!? How can I relax when I have to drive up and down the Schuylkill expressway in a (rented) Suzuki Forenza every day?

...seriously, does anyone have any tips?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
elegantmini
2nd Gear
You mean AIS isn't "live" like they say?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
tancred
4th Gear
OMG, Engender, the Schuykill (a.k.a "Surekill") is a nightmare! I was on that during the ice storm that preceded the blizzard of January '96. About the only way I survived driving on that beast (which I did a lot) was to use every defensive driving trick in the book, and to never stop.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tancred
OMG, Engender, the Schuykill (a.k.a "Surekill") is a nightmare! I was on that during the ice storm that preceded the blizzard of January '96. About the only way I survived driving on that beast (which I did a lot) was to use every defensive driving trick in the book, and to never stop.
Yeah, I hope it will be easier to avoid stopping once I get the MINI. I need a car with enough pick up to close the gap between myself and the car infront of me so that no one will suddenly change lanes and cut me off, but so I don't need to jam on the gas and get right up on the bumper of the car in front of me. It's a delicate balance the requires a finesse machine... especially if I ever see that Pepto pink cadillac with "bada bing" on the plates again... that woman was insane!

Is there a book with defensive driving tips? that might be worth a read!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
tancred
4th Gear
Originally Posted by elegantmini
You mean AIS isn't "live" like they say?
I think the satellite picture is not live, but info regarding ships in port and their position is, updated every 60 seconds. Still, we can all pretend that that is a live shot of the Tombarra, and those are our MINIs waiting to get on. I, for one, just know that that's my CR/B Clubman at the front of the last row of that kinda triangular group. Right, right?

I never knew I could be so prone to self-delusion until I ordered a MINI.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
Time for a new daydream . . .

I think the satellite picture is not live, but info regarding ships in port and their position is, updated every 60 seconds. Still, we can all pretend that that is a live shot of the Tombarra, and those are our MINIs waiting to get on. I, for one, just know that that's my CR/B Clubman at the front of the last row of that kinda triangular group. Right, right?

I never knew I could be so prone to self-delusion until I ordered a MINI.
That's not your Clubman on the dock anymore; for your sake, I hope she's on the ship (which pulled out at just after 3:00 pm eastern time). If she was on Electra, she's been gone for a couple of hours.

Yes, AIS is way cool.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
Finally I'm on the Tombarra to the big apple. 2 1/2 months is a long wait.
so much for instant gratification.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
Engender,
how did you get a Suzuki Forenza? They gave me a Kia Sectra !!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Engender
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zarote
Engender,
how did you get a Suzuki Forenza? They gave me a Kia Sectra !!
Dude, I had a Dodge Neon at first - with a spoiler! But the Neon would shimmy when I was breaking at highway speeds, so I took it back the next day and they introduced me to the Forenza. It's not terrible, it just doesn't handle very well, doesn't have a lot a pick-up, and sounds like it's got a lawnmower engine.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
zarote
2nd Gear
Wow, my engine makes alot of noise but doesn't go anywhere. I damn near got sideswipped just pulling out of my development. I am glade I didn't get the Neon though

Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your current mode of transportation, Engender.....the Expressway can be difficult to negociate under the best of circumstances.
Since others here have verified making the Tombarra, looks like neither of us was so fortunate. Now we can only wait until Saturday for the Independence II leaving on Sept. 13. I'm disappointed, but then I already have a Mini to use on I-76 when I go to Bally's in King of Prussia. Oh well, nothing to check for the next five days.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 PM
MINIMotorMouth
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Engender
Yeah, I've been thinking about going by MINI of the Main Line and doing another test drive just to remind myself why I'm going through all this... luckily, I'm going to be out of the country (Eastern Europe) from the 12th to the 22nd, so that will ease the wait for me a bit.

So, according to the "Track Your MINI" post, I will be on a WW ship. I have been entering my VIN every 10 minutes, and no results. I guess that means I am not on the Tombara, eh? Does anyone here have a car on the Tombara? Has it left port yet and does your VIN number work on the WW page?
I am on the Tombarra!!!! I checked my VIN this AM before work and it says my car is there. I have no idea when it actually leaves or has left the port. I will probably finish this email--and then check the WW line again for more up to date info! Should land in NYC by Sept 17!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
msport
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by napria
Anyone else here order from Global Imports in Atlanta?
I sure did. The process was easy and simple and they seemed to have more than enough pre-build slots available. MA was great, Amanda Hardwood.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
tancred
4th Gear
Bon voyage to the Tombarra and Elektra folks! Got a text message from my MINI, who's waiting on the docks for the next ship out. He says that zarote's and MINIMotorMouth's MINIs looked very handsome rolling onto the Tombarra, and were very well-behaved. Some others were not, though, and made taunting "nyah, nyah" sounds at those left behind. I'll bet their owners won't wave, either!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Bon voyage to the Tombarra and Elektra folks! Got a text message from my MINI, who's waiting on the docks for the next ship out. He says that zarote's and MINIMotorMouth's MINIs looked very handsome rolling onto the Tombarra, and were very well-behaved. Some others were not, though, and made taunting "nyah, nyah" sounds at those left behind. I'll bet their owners won't wave, either!
Cheers, Tancred. Hope you can hitch a ride soon , hopefully by Friday.

Mine is on the Elektra and is cruising along nicely. The next project is to track her all the way through the Atlantic and probably keep an eye on those developing hurricanes .

Any suggestions for ship tracking websites? I tried sailwx.info but Elektra does not show up.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:55 PM
marasmini
2nd Gear
They have been painting my Clubby for 3 staright days now (according to ASK-MINI). It is ither they are doing an exceptionally GOOD job paining or the assembly conveyor got stuck with my car in the paint shop . Either way i did not make it onto the Elektra . And that unfortunatelly means Traviata for me and a week worth more of waiting and nail biting .

Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Hey could be worse were on a ship they can't find. and UK dosent have the best track record for ships on madein voyage to us

Old 09-08-2008, 06:52 PM
tancred
4th Gear
Naw, it's just using a cloaking device. Don't worry unless you hear about two crazy kids named Jack and Rose hanging around the bow. How's the midnight buffet?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about your current mode of transportation, Engender.....the Expressway can be difficult to negociate under the best of circumstances.
Since others here have verified making the Tombarra, looks like neither of us was so fortunate. Now we can only wait until Saturday for the Independence II leaving on Sept. 13. I'm disappointed, but then I already have a Mini to use on I-76 when I go to Bally's in King of Prussia. Oh well, nothing to check for the next five days.
So, when do you think our MINIs will arrive at the dealer? Think I can schedule a pick up for Sept. 26?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:21 AM
elegantmini
2nd Gear
Released to Carrier

And waiting to be booked on the INDEPENDENCE ll ?!! Yay!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Obviously, it's hard to accurately predict much of anything. Still, if they're not backed up at the VDC and if there is little else to be done at Main Line it's possible you could be motoring by the 26th.....but don't count on it. I don't expect to be on the road until the following week now. My mantra for the rest of this week is, "Saturday is Independence Day!"

Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Yep. Released to carrier. There's no stoppin' us now!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Yep. Released to carrier. There's no stoppin' us now!
Still no tracking of my VIN on the WW site... how about you, Herby?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
No tracking info on ww here either.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
axelcrash
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Engender
Still no tracking of my VIN on the WW site... how about you, Herby?

no tracking available for me either!

Quick Reply: Week 36 Model Year 2009 Support Group