1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 36 Model Year 2009 Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few more pics and impressions here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=499

A few thoughts:

- Sport Suspension - Many others complained about the harshness of the ride. Honestly, it isn't as rough as I was hoping, and in a way, I appreciate the softer ride for a daily driver. An aftermarket system would be cheaper and more beneficial, but I don't want to tinker with this one - at least for a while. I wanted everything set out of the box with no warranty issues for a while.

- Gearing - lots of room between the gears. Makes you want to go...fffffaster! Doing 95 on the back roads and through twisties on the way home. Lots of fun.

- Tool kit - gone!

- 17" wheels - they look good, and I know they are heavy. With run flats, they perform ok, but the harshness of the ride is only a little harsher than 16s/15s. But the ride overall is much softer than the S2000 with KW V3 coilovers.

- Speedo - 09's go up to 160 from 150 the prior year. The older was better. Why? 12 o'clock was 70mph, now it is 80. Sure I have a digital read out too, but this is a general eyeball view without interpreting speed.

- HIDs - ahhhhhhhh.

- Clutch - lots of travel. For this car, I would want a binary effect on the clutch, yet... in a daily driver, I'm done with harsh clutches .

- Aero Kit (non JCW) - painted fenders from the factory and this makes the car different than others - much more classy of a look, IMO.

- other change in the 09's is the tailpipe is a bit shorter.

- Sport mode - yes, makes a difference. I don't feel the car pitches as much because the throttle is on it when I want it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 AM
tancred
4th Gear
Whoapower, ppurcell, and elegantmini, congrats on your beautiful MINIs! Elegantmini, the backgrounds of your photos are lovely, too -- Maine is so picturesque.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 PM
aliasrlm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tancred
Whoapower, ppurcell, and elegantmini, congrats on your beautiful MINIs! Elegantmini, the backgrounds of your photos are lovely, too -- Maine is so picturesque.
I was thinking the same thing! Maine is so gorgeous. Am a little bit jealous, actually.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM
marasmini
2nd Gear
Hey fellow Week 36ers. I must be one of the last ones to get my baby. But is is finally in my possession . here are the first pics (sorry for the quality, took them with a cell)

Absolutely love the car. I've been home for almost 2 hours now and still can't stop smiling . Exceeded all my expectations - absolutely fantastic!!!:thumbsu p:

Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Congratulations,marasmini!

Very nice looking clubman with Aero kit . Is the body color grill new for 2009 Clubman? or it's like that last year as well?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 AM
marasmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dinlaka
Congratulations,marasmini!

Very nice looking clubman with Aero kit . Is the body color grill new for 2009 Clubman? or it's like that last year as well?
That was my question too. I think that is a part of the Aero Kit.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 AM
deepcscuba
1st Gear
Congrats Marasmini!!!!!!!!! Looks awesome!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:00 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beautiful. Congratulations! I'll be sure and wave when I see you on the road (if my ship ever finds its way to port....). Meanwhile, if you see a guy on a black Harley give you the thumbs up...it's probably me.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM
marasmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
Beautiful. Congratulations! I'll be sure and wave when I see you on the road (if my ship ever finds its way to port....). Meanwhile, if you see a guy on a black Harley give you the thumbs up...it's probably me.
Hey the delivery should not be too far away. But just know this: when you finally get your hand on the MINI it will be all worth it !!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:56 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marasmini
Hey the delivery should not be too far away. But just know this: when you finally get your hand on the MINI it will be all worth it !!!!!
That's what I'm counting on!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM
whoapower
2nd Gear
As I pulled into work this morning, I hit the magical 1,200 mile mark. Time to have some fun. =)

Hope everyone's rides are doing well and bringing smiles all around.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
aliasrlm
1st Gear
So I'm picking up my MINI from the shop today....I got rear-ended just 13 days (gulp) after picking up my baby. Some jerk behind me was too busy sending texts to actually use the brake and hit me while I was stopped at a red light.

Sigh. It's been annoying to say the least, to be parted from my new car while it's getting its bumper repaired. But I get it back tonight! Woohooo!

Hope no one else has had their baby damaged yet. Felt gutted, I tell ya.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aliasrlm
So I'm picking up my MINI from the shop today....I got rear-ended just 13 days (gulp) after picking up my baby. Some jerk behind me was too busy sending texts to actually use the brake and hit me while I was stopped at a red light.

Sigh. It's been annoying to say the least, to be parted from my new car while it's getting its bumper repaired. But I get it back tonight! Woohooo!

Hope no one else has had their baby damaged yet. Felt gutted, I tell ya.
Sorry to hear about the accident. I feel your pain. My wife's previous car, a 325i, got rear-ended at the stop light as well. ironically by an 04 MCS!!!

Anyway, good to hear that you are ok and you got your baby back.

If it's not too late, don't forget to file a claim to your insurance to have the guy who rear-ended you pay for a compensation for reduction in your car's value. We were about to sell the car and because of the accident, we could only sell it for $2-3K lower than the expected price. We found out way too late to do anything about it!

Old 11-03-2008, 05:14 PM
elegantmini
2nd Gear
I too have hit the magic 1,200 mile mark today, just as I turned into my driveway (I swear I didn't plan it) coming home from work. I am so impressed with this little car. It has its quirks but, all in all, the performance, fit and finish are fabulous and I believe this car is making me a better driver. Here's a picture with her new roof rack (using Schatzy's instructions of course) which took us about an hour to install.

Attached Thumbnails Week 36 Model Year 2009 Support Group-pa250146.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Ender_Will
1st Gear
I haven't yet hit that 1,200 mark (about 650 right now), but am making progress towards it. I think I may get to claim a rather more dubious honor, though: First ticket. Last Monday ( ~70 hrs after delivery) got caught for 42 in a 30. Other than that, however, the car's been awesome! Still on my second tank of gas, had one guy ask about the car and say he loved the look of it, caught a couple of thumbs-ups and had an absolute blast every minute of driving.

Pictures will be coming - only one I've got is a terrible camera phone shot.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
I blew by 1200mi this week. Vroom!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
elegantmini
2nd Gear
Hey, got a gift package from MINIUSA today. Actually rather fun... though I'm wondering about the "8" ball, instead of the "ZUG" ball I was expecting.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 AM
axelcrash
1st Gear
I would have definitly prefered the ZUG ball to the 8 ball also. But love the mouse pad. That went right to work!

Also blowing through the miles. 1700 and I have had my baby for 5 full weeks now! I keep finding excuses to drive but the rain lately has put a damper on things.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Only 288 miles on mine in 3.5 weeks. Of course did not help that a week after got her had to go on a 2 week business trip. No adventure kit yet. Gas mileage not great but was not expecting fantastic 3.3 miles one way to work but 13 stop lights in that 3.3 miles and I always seem to have to stop at at least 9 of them daily. Same on the return. But what a blast to drive. Only problem so far is the dreaded cosmoline drips but very minimal and comes off easily with goo gone. Very happy with her. Now if she would just name herself...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
Wow, you guys got a MINI package already? I have a feeling I'm not going to get anything more beyond my grinning. I just turned 700 miles today and just got my license plates! Gave her a Klasse primer and wax a few weeks ago and she is sooooo sleek. I need to do it again this weekend after the rains!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
tancred
4th Gear
My adventure kit arrived on Monday. I got a Union Jack ball. I'm closing in on 1100 miles already, trying to get in as much motoring as possible before the Nebraska winter sets in. I'm wondering which will come first -- our first snow, or my anthracite headliner.

My gosh, I never thought I'd love a car like this, or have so much fun with it. I find myself going to the furthest locations possible: e.g., not the Target close to my house, but the one in the far suburbs. And then I have to drive home using the longest route possible from there! I :heart: my Clubbie!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
Delivered on 10/4/08. 5,700 miles so far. Anybody done better?

Sorry, Ender Will, got my ticket on 10/5/08 (less than 24 hours after delivery), but the cop was a b**ch and I'm fighting it.

-C

Old 10-06-2009, 04:27 PM
elegantmini
2nd Gear
Happy Birthday Week 36ers of 2008!

Hey, it's one year ago today I picked up my Clubman—after 5 months of waiting! I love this car!! Happy Birthday all!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Ender_Will
1st Gear
Wow. Even though I'm taking Chester in for service tomorrow, it didn't really register that it's been a year!

The hood scoop is a bit melty, but that should be taken care of tomorrow - otherwise no complaints. Still loving every minute of it!

I've done two fairly intense solo trips (Austin, TX to Redondo Beach, CA (~1400 miles) in 25 hours and Santa Barbara to San Jose and back (~600 miles) in about 8.5 hrs), my share of blasting around the back roads here and loads of surprising people when a 6'7" guy gets in or out. How's everybody else holding up?

Oh, and WYSIWYG, how'd your ticket turn out? I think it's funny that the first two racers are in BRG!

Last edited by Ender_Will; 10-06-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: WYSIWYG ticket q