1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 37 support group

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back from the tinting and invisashield and all went well... sort of. I'm happy with the invisashield and the tinting, however; he forgot to do around the door handles and can't tint the sunroof until after the graphic is removed so I will need to go back.

He has been doing tinting for along time and said he has never heard of a sunroof exploding/cracking due to heat. His product is 3M and I got 35% on all the side windows (not too light, not too dark, for me at least). I'll try to post some pics soon although depending on the light, its difficult to judge tinting but I would definitely recommend him for the tinting. His charges are based on car/truck/SUV plus the number of windows being tinted. Tinting on the Mini would probably be $150-175, so I imagine a Honda Accord would be comparable.

Greg, you are right, on the interior, our cars are very similar except you went with the blue colorline throughout! Bella's beautiful but you already know that!

Did they put invisashield on your side mirrors? I didn't get it but was curious if they put it on Bella.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:37 PM
n3mpr
2nd Gear
Kelly,

That is great news. When you go back will you ask him for more info on the 3M tinting?

Yes the mirror caps were done. They also did the top of the rear bumper so it is protected from things going in and out of the boot.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 PM
n3mpr
2nd Gear
Hey guys & gals,

I have been playing with some cartoon images from Cooperation. What do you think about the sig?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:25 AM
Red_Fred
2nd Gear
I think your signature looks really cool. You're inspiring me to spruce up mine. As soon as I get a few minutes I need to do something about that.

My odometer just clicked past 1,000 miles. Don't know how that happened so quickly. How are you guys doing? Anyone at or near the end of their breakin miles?

Doug

Old 10-25-2008, 05:30 AM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by n3mpr
Hey guys & gals,

I have been playing with some cartoon images from Cooperation. What do you think about the sig?
That's as good as anything COOPERation has done!

I normally can stumble through things like this on computers but I've been unable to figure out the signature area of NAM. Seems like it likes MAC users better or Photoshop program.

What did you want me to ask the tinting/3M guy? I'd be happy to ask anything you want.

Doug, I'm still only about 350 miles, you're getting close!

Last edited by kellypgh; 11-01-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:02 AM
n3mpr
2nd Gear
Doug & Kelly - Thanks for the compliments. I am at just over 400 miles. I can't wait because I know without the 4k rpm restriction the Mini is really going to roll.

Kelly - COOPERation did the car. I removed the tint on the windows and added the Milky Way for the background. I am by no means a graphic artist. I use a Mac, but you can do the same processes on the PC. If you do not have Photoshop there is a great program called "GIMP" that you can download for free ( http://www.gimp.org/windows/ ). I use it on my Mac, and on the PC in Windows and Linux.
The big issue with sigs here at NAM is the size restriction and Gimp makes it easy to resize the image once you have it like you want it.

The only thing I would like to know from your 3M guy is the name/model of the product he used to do your windows. Window tinting places are not that common in this area so I want to make sure I get the correct tint. Heck, it may be easier to just set it up next time i have to go to Winston-Salem.

Last edited by n3mpr; 10-25-2008 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added GIMP link
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 AM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the link. I'll have to play around with it. I hear you on the size restriction. That's what I keep running into with sig pics and postings. I finally started uploading pictures to flickr and copying from there. It seems to work better for me than the gallery.

I'll look at my paperwork and let you know the exact 3M product he used. I would have felt better if he said that he had heard of problems with tinting sunroofs but his product wasn't an issue. He stated that he had never heard of any problems though.

Its funny about the break in period because I'm struggling to get the miles on Finnigan because I'm doing alot of city/suburb driving. My husband does a lot of highway driving and he "offered" to help me out with getting over the break in. I think I'm going to let him take the car tomorrow but he makes me nervous because the first question he asked was "What's my RPM limit and max speed limit, again?(with a twinkle in his eye)"! He's aggressive to say the least, but his thought is that the harder you break in a car, the better the car will run...

He's got a BMW 3 series with 125K that's running strong so I guess I can't argue the point. I will have to stress the rules before I hand over the key.

I finally got some pictures posted to the Laser Blue thread, too.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
n3mpr
2nd Gear
Kelly,

I have the same bent towards breaking things in. However, with the electronics on cars today I would not be at all surprised if the computer records things like high RPM.

I will go checkout your pictures.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Miki
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by n3mpr
Kelly,

I have the same bent towards breaking things in. However, with the electronics on cars today I would not be at all surprised if the computer records things like high RPM.

I will go checkout your pictures.

Hi guys - I am finally back from vacation and was able to take delivery of my Clubbie ("Mick" the stick) last night. Been having a great time although it's a shame work gets in the work of too much fun. I will get out this weekend and take pictures to post. No AH but since I never saw one in real life, I don't miss it. No freebies at the dealer, had to buy the mats. I also put in an order today at Detailers Paradise so I'll be all set to keep Mick clean and pretty. Any other extras you've purchased for you new MINI?

My MA told us that driving information is recorded in the key and RPM is one of the things that is tracked. Since there are 2 keys, I don't know how they would know what was done with the one you leave at home when you bring the car in for service.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Eagleav8r
1st Gear
Tint r Now, Im melting!

Hi Kelly

Your car does look great. Thanks for the followup with the SolarControl recomendation. I will defenatly set up an apointment for the Accord in Nov.

DaveJ

Roof Tint is still good, I never use the Screen anymore either unless I park in the Sun for an extended time. Yip, inside Still gets Hot . But I guess it is So FL. And your car looks sweet too.
Thanks for the compliment on mine. I like the Color too. I still need to post interior pics. Her Official Name as of today is "JetPack" As far as the Rally Lights, I like the way they look too but I dont use them often. They are super bright, only come on with the High beam and definately cant use them if there are distaint oncomming cars. because they aim so high. But on unlit back roads they really excell and the dear wear sunglasses.

Take care

Scott

Last edited by Eagleav8r; 10-28-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Eagleav8r
1st Gear
n3mpr

Hey n3

Thanks for the comp's

Yes I still fly. used to fly for the regonals But never drove the F-15. Sweet Jet though. got to love the office view

Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 AM
kellypgh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Miki
Hi guys - I am finally back from vacation and was able to take delivery of my Clubbie ("Mick" the stick) last night. Been having a great time although it's a shame work gets in the work of too much fun. I will get out this weekend and take pictures to post. No AH but since I never saw one in real life, I don't miss it. No freebies at the dealer, had to buy the mats. I also put in an order today at Detailers Paradise so I'll be all set to keep Mick clean and pretty. Any other extras you've purchased for you new MINI?

My MA told us that driving information is recorded in the key and RPM is one of the things that is tracked. Since there are 2 keys, I don't know how they would know what was done with the one you leave at home when you bring the car in for service.
Congrats Miki! That was a long wait for you but I'm glad everything went well with delivery of Mick. Can't wait to see the pictures.

I have placed 2 orders now with DP and love all of the products so far. The boot definitely seems to get dirty fast though.

Good luck with your break in and enjoy Mick!