1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 week review from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 week review from a new owner

Since I am a first time mini owner I thought I would give a review and some observations about our new car.

We received our car on July 25th and it already has almost 900 miles on it. It is a 2008 Chili Red/White MCS automatic with Tuscan tan interior. I have found many things I love about it, many things I am surprised about, some things that take getting used to, and yes even a few things I don’t like.

Things I love about it:
  • The styling is great both inside and out. I was a little leery about the interior design before ownership but minus a few little things I will detail below I love it.
  • The seats are nice and firm and do a good job of holding you in place.
  • I find the steering wheel PERFECT for my hands. I love the material and size of it.
  • The interior as a whole is more solid feeling than I expected.
  • The fuel economy has so far been stellar (in my estimation). Of course I’m in the break in period and driving it fairly easy but I have been doing mostly town driving and I have seen an average of 32 mpg.
  • The public and other mini owners have been very nice. The car is a real conversation starter, people with all kinds of cars smile, point, and talk to you about your mini. Other mini drivers almost always wave. If you dont like attention dont buy one.
  • The interior is suprisingly spacious and easy to get comfortable in. With the rear seats folded down there is plenty of room for road trip luggage. (we dont have kids)
  • The handling has been nice and predictable and the ride is pretty good as well.
  • Good sized glove box and “secret compartment” is nice too. Nice amount of storage for a small car.
Things I am surprised about:
  • I don’t know if it is my Tuscan interior but even with the sunroof in 102 degree Memphis heat my car is not unbearable. I have no aftermarket tint or sunshade on any of the glass. After reading comments on here I fully expected to be baked alive in the car and this is just not true. It is actually cooler than my hardtop-no sunroof 03 mustang cobra (of course it has black interior).
  • I didn’t think the anthracite headliner was important but now I really wish I had it. The grey headliner is the only think about the car that really bothers me. It adds one too many colors to the interior (tuscan,pianoblack,red+ the grey headliner). I think if I had black interior it wouldn’t stick out so much but with the Tuscan it does.
  • I actually like the factory armrest. The lid doesn’t slide open for me and I find myself using it quite a bit. I almost passed on it but now I am really glad I got it.
  • Even with the runflats I don’t find the ride harsh at all.
Things that take getting used to.
  • While I really like the interior design I can’t get used to the speedometer. The digital one on the tach is better but still not great for me.
  • The power is like a light switch. I’m sure this is amplified by having an automatic but it is a dramatic transition.
  • I have never owned a front wheel drive car, getting used to driving one on a daily basis is an adjustment.
  • I am not used to a car that likes brake off oversteer so much but it is very easy to induce and modulate in the mini.
Things that could be improved.

*I hope no one takes offense at these. I am not bashing the mini, these are just my personal observations and opinions.
  • The factory tires leave much to be desired (I had the 16” goodyears). Don’t get me wrong I love the cars handling but you can feel that the factory tires really don’t do the car justice (more so than any car I have owned).
  • I would like to see a full gauge package as an option.
  • Even at its loudest setting the Park Distance Control sound is very very quiet.
  • Maybe it’s just my seating position but the seat belt always seems to be wedged between the door and the seat. Perhaps they could come up with some kind of hanger or relocate it.
  • The HiFi is terrible. I REALLY wish they had a better radio option. No matter how I adjust it I can not get a satisfying sound out of it.
  • The factory brake pads are the dustiest of any car I have ever owned (I’ve owned more than 25 cars). I don’t ride the brakes and am a relaxed driver but holy cow these things are dusty.
  • This is amplified but the automatic but I feel like there is a lack of off-idle power. The power kicks in very low but there is a slight dead spot at first. (the nature of a turbo I know)
Overall I am extremely happy with the car. I would make the purchase again in a heartbeat. Most of the things written about it in magazines and on this forum are true. It’s a scrappy little car with a lot of personality. In the 900 miles it has been almost trouble free except for the sunroof sticking upon occasion.

*I put on 215/35/18's 2 days ago and the wider non runflats make a world of difference in handling.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
kriscooper
1st Gear
This is great! Thanks I'm expecting mine this weekend and I can't wait to take it for a spin

Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
Thanks for the great review! I am excited to get my Mini, and I have order the Park Distance and Hi-Fi.

I saw on some Mini accessory site these seat belt 'holders' wonder if they would help!? Since I don't have my ini and the dealership is too far for me to go look again.. what do you think?

http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
Thanks for the great review! I am excited to get my Mini, and I have order the Park Distance and Hi-Fi.

I saw on some Mini accessory site these seat belt 'holders' wonder if they would help!? Since I don't have my ini and the dealership is too far for me to go look again.. what do you think?

http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2NMI2040/AddedFrom/CatBrowse-%20INTERIOR_NM/InvDetail.cfm
Thanks for the heads up on the seatbelt holders thats exactly what they need and I think it would solve the problem I am having.

Also dont fret over the Park Distance or the HiFi. I think if I had it to do over I would still order them. I honestly cant imagine how to install an aftermarket radio in the mini in a clean and functional way so getting the best (albiet not super) factory option is the way to go there. Maybe I will look into better speakers although I am not a big audiophile.
MINI if you are listening I would pay more if you would offer a really good factory radio!

Although I still find the PDC noise to be too quiet but i think I can get used to it and Im glad its there for when my 4'10" wife drives the car.

Hope you love your car as much as I love mine!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
janetmc
2nd Gear
it is a beautiful car
thanx 4 your honest opinions
i am still waiting

Old 08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
JCW4me
2nd Gear
Time for you to get the JCW engine upgrade. That should take care of any performance issues!!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JCW4me
Time for you to get the JCW engine upgrade. That should take care of any performance issues!!
I am definitely going to get some performance mods but already the power is great for such a small engine. The midrange and passing power impress me and I’m coming from a 493 rwhp cobra.

My next mods will likely be window tinting and lowering it slightly to get rid of some of the wheel gap. Then perhaps its time for a CAI, Exhaust, and tuning. I want to get a decent amount of miles on the car before I go too crazy.

That is another “problem” with owning a mini. There is so much you can do to them that your pocketbook will always be empty.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by janetmc
it is a beautiful car
thanx 4 your honest opinions
i am still waiting
Waiting was the hardest part, I feel for you. It was a tough 6 weeks for me. The sidewalk editions are beautiful cars though. I love that interior! Post some pics when you get yours. Once you get your mini you wont want to leave it. I find myself driving out of my way just to get to know the car better.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Heres my interior. You can see the grey color on the "a" pillar. I feel it adds 1 too many colors to the car and wish i would have gotten the anthracite headliner. Not terrible and doesnt take away too much from my love of the car but next time I will order the antracite. Live and learn.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
lincdr
1st Gear
Thanks for the review, I've had my MCS for just a few days and am loving it except for a rattle in the driver's door. My wife and I both had the same experience with the seat belt getting stuck between the seat and door when you first get in and buckle up which was really annoying. I found that you can simply slide the plastic stop on the belt higher so that it is held above the door area where it usually get stuck. Works great now and buckling up is a piece of cake now.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:25 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by new22003
Heres my interior. You can see the grey color on the "a" pillar. I feel it adds 1 too many colors to the car and wish i would have gotten the anthracite headliner. Not terrible and doesnt take away too much from my love of the car but next time I will order the antracite. Live and learn.

Love that interior and I think you will find it is something that makes your MINI YOUR MINI! I love it! But agree the anthracite headliner would be kool. I priced it out and for about $500 you can add it back now. Or we had a local client have his recovered in suede black for about the same price. Just an idea. Congrats again on the car, and if I can help further PLEASE let me know!

Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tinker_06

http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm
Very well articulated synopsis, new22003 -- and (quoted above) -- this seat belt holder DOES work for me, but I usually have the seat adjusted about halfway down the track. My husband keeps snapping it off; he pushes the seat (passenger or VERY RARELY the driver seat) all the way back.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[*]Maybe it’s just my seating position but the seat belt always seems to be wedged between the door and the seat.
I get that all the time.
[*]The factory brake pads are the dustiest of any car I have ever owned
Yup. You just have to resign youself to frequent, and obsessive washing. The MINIs are the only cars I've lived with where I bothered about them being dirty, that doesn't help.
The power kicks in very low but there is a slight dead spot at first.
It sounds like you haven't engaged sport mode.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 AM
RadishAttack
2nd Gear

Last edited by RadishAttack; 08-14-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:47 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lincdr
Thanks for the review, I've had my MCS for just a few days and am loving it except for a rattle in the driver's door. My wife and I both had the same experience with the seat belt getting stuck between the seat and door when you first get in and buckle up which was really annoying. I found that you can simply slide the plastic stop on the belt higher so that it is held above the door area where it usually get stuck. Works great now and buckling up is a piece of cake now.
I am with lincdr. Had the same issue with the belts and just slid the plastic stop up higher. No problems now.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Love that interior and I think you will find it is something that makes your MINI YOUR MINI! I love it! But agree the anthracite headliner would be kool. I priced it out and for about $500 you can add it back now. Or we had a local client have his recovered in suede black for about the same price. Just an idea. Congrats again on the car, and if I can help further PLEASE let me know!
Thanks Adam, I think I may look into retrofitting the headliner or at least the plastic pieces on the "a" pillar. I will surely shop at alta when I get a few more miles on the car. A CAI will be the first thing, then exhaust, then who knows? I have been very impressed with how you handle customer service in the ECU thread. Too many companies forget the golden rule of business and when I come across a comapny that remembers it I appreciate it more than you can know.

Originally Posted by futuremini
I am with lincdr. Had the same issue with the belts and just slid the plastic stop up higher. No problems now.
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Very well articulated synopsis, new22003 -- and (quoted above) -- this seat belt holder DOES work for me, but I usually have the seat adjusted about halfway down the track. My husband keeps snapping it off; he pushes the seat (passenger or VERY RARELY the driver seat) all the way back.
It looks like it is a very common problem them. My wife and I also have VERY different seating positions. I am 6' tall and she is 4'10"

Originally Posted by Btwyx
I get that all the time.Yup. You just have to resign youself to frequent, and obsessive washing.
I am also a frequent obsessive washer and waxer I guess I will just have to pay special attention to the wheels.

Originally Posted by Btwyx
It sounds like you haven't engaged sport mode.
Even with sport mode engaged I have the slight dead spot, just something I have to get used to (maybe alta parts can help me out ).

Originally Posted by RadishAttack
Wow ! That is one zingy cool interior. I have never seen that combo before.
- Excellent unique look .
Thanks radish, The inerior was the thing I was the most worried about when I ordered the car. Very few people have tuscan and even fewer have it matched with the piano and red. I had never seen a photo but had the idea in my head. Other than the headliner I am EXTREMELY happy with the color combo.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
TECENG
2nd Gear
I also have to say that I LOVE your interior. I have never seen that combo before and I think it is stunning!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
If you go to the detailing forum, they'll recommend that you wax your wheels. This will help get the brake dust off more easily.

Waxing my wheels is on my list of new car detailing projects after I take delivery (at least 10 more days - can I make it?)

Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Gregg
1st Gear
great review

Did you purchase at Roadshow MINI in Memphis? How was the delivery process? We orderd ours from them but wondering how the handled the overall delivery etc.
still waiting week 37 build so it's Oct before the fun begins

Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gregg
Did you purchase at Roadshow MINI in Memphis? How was the delivery process? We orderd ours from them but wondering how the handled the overall delivery etc.

Hi Greg,
Yes we purchased from Roadshow. The process was pretty smooth overall. Tom, our salesman, was really great and I would highly recommend him to anyone. He is decidedly un-salesman like, which is refreshing. He is also really into minis having both classic and new ones. I really can’t say enough good things about him.

The process is a slow one though so be prepared. The slowness isn’t caused by Roadshow, its more of a mini corporate thing. My car sat on the docks for a long time and I watched boats come and go without my car. Even though I was a week 25er there were people in week 26 getting on boats as much as 5 days before us. The boat I was on had week 27 people on it. Also my truck getting to the dealer was 3 days late. Again these are things Roadshow has no control over.

Once the car arrived at Roadshow it went very fast. The truck carrying our car arrived at about 4:00 pm and I was driving it by 11 A.M. the next day. The detailing and turn around is very fast.

Here is how my schedule worked out
June 12 Ordered, Week 25 Production
June 14 Vin Assigned
June 14 Status Changed to “In Production”
June 20 In the Body Shop
June 21 In the Paint Shop
June 22 Completed
June 23 At the Port
July 5 Left on the Sierra Nevada Highway (I missed several boats for some reason)
July 17 Arrived in Charleston
July 24 At my Mini Dealer
July 25 Picked Up

Good luck. If you want to get together sometime let me know. We plan on joining midsouth miniacs http://www.midsouthminiacs.org/ and doing some mini socializing.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Gregg
1st Gear
Thanks for the insight

I'm feeling better already.
Tom Taylor was our salesman and I agree that it was no pressure no hassel experience. We had three choices, being from Huntsville Alabama we could go to Raodshow in memphis, or Nashville or Atlanta. the only one at the time that had a clubman to test drive was Memphis so they got our order the same day. waiting till Oct is like a kid waiting for Christmas at Halloween. You know it's going to get there but the agony is terrible!
We also hope to get with some of the MINI groups to comapre notes etc. I expect we will see each other at one of those events. Already thing about the 09 Dragon ride.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM
blackdelight
2nd Gear

LOVE your interior!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Beach Girl Lynn
5th Gear
I noticed that about the seat belt too - I just make a habit of pulling my seatbelt around me before I shut my door. Maybe I'll get that holder too! Also, I've had my mini about 2 weeks and it's back at the dealer getting a squeek fixed. It was in the brackets in the back seat. Plus my side door was not working properly -they said they had the same issue in another clubman.
I didn't get the anthrocite liner but really don't think it would add anything to my interior but then I have black and black/rooster red sport seats.
I did get the hifi system and think it sounds great. Also got the sunroof - but I did have concern that the sun would beat on my head since there is no hard cover to pull it shut like my Honda has. The only time it does bother me is when the sun is straight up around 12:00 noon. My eyes are sensitive to light even with sunglasses - but it doesn't last long and the sun moves off. I just will put on my visor if it does bother me. Or I'll get it tinted.
I didn't get the S model either but think I have plenty of get up and go! And I'm averaging 34 around town. I get lots of attention too - especially with the stripes and checkered pattern on the mirrors! It's true- if you don't want attention you better get something else!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Beach Girl Lynn
5th Gear
Also - I LOVE the look of the large speedometer! Although I watch the digital above my steering wheel to see how fast I'm going!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM
tennesseemini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gregg
Gregg, I purchased from Roadshow MINI in Memphis too.
I just picked my car up on Tuesday Aug. 14th. It is chili red with the white roof. I AM LOVING IT!!!!
I must say it was the best car buying experience i've ever had. No pressure, no hassle. My MA was Carl Smith. The hardest part is the waiting.

Ordered 7/5...completed 7/18...shipped 7/25....picked up from Roadshow 8/14

Quick Reply: 2 week review from a new owner