1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I HAVE to give my car a name?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:38 PM
thewrongguy
|
2nd Gear
Do I HAVE to give my car a name?

Hi first post, expecting to take delivery on my all pepper white 'Cooper Classic' (Canadian market model) 6spd sometime late august early September. Excited but not super excited, in the process of selling one of my cars right now and as soon as the prospect of not insuring 3 vehicles isn't on the horizon I'll be wired.

I grew up around british cars, triumphs, mgbs, and a lotus for a couple months. My Dad had minis when i was growing up and got the all white as a tip of the hat to the one i actually remember. I always wanted to get a proper british sports car, and maybe i will someday, because the cooper isn't a real english car its really german. Its assembled in england i know, buts its got that all business soul of a bmw 2002. Hell my proper british roadster is japanese (1st generation miata, best traditional british roadster ever made) , its a changing world.

Its sounds like im down on the car, but im not, i loved test driving it and can't wait to get my dirty mitts on it. Stock as rocks its an amazing car, and for the money i can't imagine why anyone would drive anything else.

Oh yeah everyone seems to name their cars here. Is it like a ship where it has to be a womans name. The minis all white, i'll be thinking of pale girls like jenny lewis who = . Course naming her jenny makes me think of the donkey from 'the man who would be king.' If i can name it whatever i want its going to be 'Iron-***** McGuinty', I'm already driving a miata and now a mini I need to toughen up my image somehow. Maybe i shouldn't sell my mustang gt.

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:43 PM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Yeah, keep the Mustang GT.

We have a Shelby GT500, red with white stripes. So when I ordered the same color scheme on the Mini, I just had to go with Shelby Jr.

Quarter Horse sounds fitting, or even White Stallion

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:49 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Congrats on your order and welcome to the craziness that is NAM. A lot of folks name their MINIs while others do not. We were never in the habit of naming our cars, except for the occasional nickname like "the puddle jumper" for a 70s or 80s compact. So I call mine "da MINI" (Jersey accent).

Friend of mine recently got a pepper white with black roof & mirrors and loves it. Tis a cool creamy color, PW. Hope time flies by for you till you take delivery, and enjoy the motoring.

CROC 411

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:49 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
You don't actually have to give your car a name. But it's probably safer than letting the nuts here do it for you

Iron ***** McGinty is a great name

On reflection... if IBM is the short version of Iron ***** McGinty, and the other IBM's nickname was Big Blue ... I'm not entirely sure that's the direction you really want to head. So to speak.

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:36 PM
revray
4th Gear
No, you don't have to name your MINI. You could just think of it as being like any other car instead.

_

Old 08-12-2008 | 04:39 AM
thewrongguy
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Barley
On reflection... if IBM is the short version of Iron ***** McGinty, and the other IBM's nickname was Big Blue ...

and Big Blue was in footloose with.... Kevin Bacon.

Cute dogs.

I think part of the issue is i had a friend that named EVERYTHING. I'd work with him, we'd go to a job in 'tom the truck', work with 'henry hammer' and take a break with 'larry lunch box'. 8hrs with that made me want 'johnny walker'. Man he is alot of fun to be around, but one day im afraid im going to see him on the news.

Old 08-14-2008 | 01:03 PM
3dognight
2nd Gear
I second keeping the Mustang. Everyone should have one in their stable, I mean garage. You could always name the MINI, Shetland.

Old 08-14-2008 | 01:28 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
You could name it Cognito. If any one asks or implies that you must have a name for your MINI, you can simply tell them that you prefer to travel in cognito.

Last edited by Barley; 08-14-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo-riffic
Old 08-14-2008 | 03:26 PM
thewrongguy
|
2nd Gear
I loved the mustang at one point, its reliable, not too expensive to run and she good to look at. But the live axle and the heavy sedany feel kind of made me think about seeing other people. New policy for me, no more cars weighing more then 2600 pounds.

It came down to the miata or the mustang, one had to go because they both stunk in the winter. The mini isn't going to be my winter beater (this part of canada there isn't snow on the ground till after christmas most years i'm parallel with northern california) or anything, but when the weather gets bad the coop gets the nod from the bullpen.

The miata is a bit of a girlie car, i was the first to say that. But i don't think i'll ever sell it now, it came into my life through a bad twist of events in my personal life, now it has alot of sentimental value. But honestly it weighs 2065 pounds, thats awesome. It handles better then anything else on the road, but the mini is close and it'll at least seat 4. Also the miata is dimensionally bigger, so part of me will like telling people "we'll take the big car" and pull up in that.

Acutally maybe i'll call the mini porky, since it's 500 pounds heavier.

Old 08-15-2008 | 02:08 PM
Snow White
Neutral
How do I register my Mini's name? I checked the tracking and it says our baby is awaiting transport. How long does that part take until delivery? Thanks!

Old 08-15-2008 | 05:00 PM
goat
3rd Gear
wrongguy - I know what you mean about the miata... you can't part ways with those cars easily. They are just so "honest" to drive, and really incredibly capable in the corners even against some big budget sports cars, especially with some suspension mods. Check out my sig for another miata+mini owner so you don't think you're the only one. Hey, what part of Canada are you in... parallel with northern Cali hmm..... SW Ontario perhaps?

Old 08-16-2008 | 11:25 AM
thewrongguy
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by goat
Hey, what part of Canada are you in... parallel with northern Cali hmm..... SW Ontario perhaps?
Windsor, Ontario. Amazingly mild in the winter, unbearably hot in the summer (hoping an all white car helps with that a little bit). When i was a kid i used to work with an very nice older Iraqi lady in a restaurant. She used to tell me that Baghdad was much more pleasant weather-wise in the summer. Stupid humidity.

Old 08-16-2008 | 11:40 AM
matty125
5th Gear
you dont have to do anything. if you love your mini then you should name it however

Old 08-16-2008 | 01:13 PM
thewrongguy
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
you dont have to do anything. if you love your mini then you should name it however
That might explain why my dogs are named brown dog and small dog.

Old 08-17-2008 | 07:23 PM
tc-mini
6th Gear
Of course you don't have to give your MINI a name - but it just seems a bit more fun if you do. Almost all my cars have had names, from Mio Amante (bad Italian for "My Mistress") the Fiat X1/9 that broke down so often that I spent more money on her than than I did on my girlfriend, to Blue Eis my 2004 Cooper S JCW. The big Dodge 2500 4X4 didn't really so much have a name as a designation: BFT (Big _ing Truck). The only car that didn't have a name was the C5 Corvette. Forwhatever reason, it was always just "The Vette".

Yes, you can forgo naming your car, but I really do think Iron-***** McGuinty would be an appropriate name. Of course, instead of checkerboard on the roof, you'd need some sort of plaid pattern. And as a courtesy to your local dealership, you'd have to warn any mechanics not to put him up on the public display repair lift if McGuinty wears his kilt to the shop.