1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here - am considering to own a Mini(?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Well, it depends. In light snow - meaning 3-5" or less - it's OK, especially with Differential Slip Control (DSC). The car itself is front wheel drive, so that's a plus, and with DSC, if one of the wheels feels it's slipping, DSC will automatically engage the rest of the wheels to help stabilize the car. The more mechanical gear heads hanging out on NAM can be more technical.

In heavier snow, I'd be wary. In Germany, I never had any real issues with the "light" snow and ice, but I grew up driving in snow. The heavier snows (5+") caused a problem because of the height of the car -- the poor car almost turned into a snow plow, with the front end of the car tilted down the way it is. (Sports suspensions are MUCH lower in the front end than regular suspensions -- something I didn't really realize until I got my '07 MCS without.)
not to be a stickler but DSC is Dynamic Stability Control, what I think you're thinking of is LSD, Limited Slip Differential.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Ritzish
Neutral
thanks for the notes on snow, and sorry to those of you trying to discuss color.. woops! should have started my own forum i guess...
ciao for now!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
grc123
2nd Gear
Hello again - just a quick question; I see an 2006 "S" for sale on the web, and the guy has listed the Trans as: "Automatic (with paddle shifting)". Am I to understand that this vehicle has an automatic that CAN be shifted-on without harm - one of those 'dual-mode' types of transmissions?

Thanks,
g ...

Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by grc123
Hello again - just a quick question; I see an 2006 "S" for sale on the web, and the guy has listed the Trans as: "Automatic (with paddle shifting)". Am I to understand that this vehicle has an automatic that CAN be shifted-on without harm - one of those 'dual-mode' types of transmissions?

Thanks,
g ...
Yes it is a dual clutch type of system. I prefer manual, but for a lot of people it is the best of both worlds, auto and the ability to change gears without a clutch pedal. It is made by Getrag who is one of the leading makers of transmissions, they make them for Ford, Chrysler, Porsche, VW, BMW, GM, Mercedes, Volvo and Toyota....

The worst part for us with the Clubman we have ordered is the waiting...

Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 AM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
A couple of comments about some of your questions:

1. The "Classic Mini" is definitely a tinkerers car. As in almost all OLDER British built cars (Pre 2001 BMW acquisition), they require frequent attention to run at their peak. I would consider one of them as a weekend car. If your looking for a daily commuter, go with the "New MINI".
2. As for longevity, with regular, standard service (very minimal in most new cars) one can expect many - happy miles. (The comment about a MINI being a 4 to 5 year car is only one person's opinion and not what I have observed as normal [most MINI owners appear to be VERY happy with their's])
3. Color (colour) is a very personal decision. As noted, PW + CR are the most popular. I ordered a SS/S MCCS (Sparkling Silver/Silver roof Clubman-S model after many, many configurations were tried. (without going to a dealer, or a club meet, the configurator is a sure fire way to find what you like. It is a lot of fun and somewhat addictive.)