1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here - am considering to own a Mini(?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Here - am considering to own a Mini(?)

Hello,

Can anyone tell me about owning a Mini - good, bad, ugly, indifferent - please?

Ups/Downs of Mini's please - thanks!

g ...

Last edited by grc123; 08-15-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:12 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dear - you probably ought to give us a little more focus on your concerns...there's a LOT of info, and you've opened up a HUGE floodgate.

MINIs are awesome little cars.
* Wonderful handling (corners on all four wheels, even at fast speeds)
* 5-star crash test ratings
* Built like little tanks that can also be speed demons
* Depreciate only about $200 or so a year -- can't be said of any other vehicle out there....
* FUN cars - they have personality, and the community (like NAM here) is wide-ranging and a bunch of great people

There are some drawbacks:
* Many folks complain about "rattles" and "squeeks" -- I've never had this problem, but there are many threads on the topic
* Many people also don't like the run-flat tires. I like mine, no biggie.
* The earlier generation of MINIs (like 2002 - 2005ish models) had a lot of windshield crack problems. I did in my 2004, but no issues with my current 2007 model.

Anyway...give us some of your concerns and we can help answer your thread. If not, you'd be better served just surfing this website and reading all the posts. Good luck & happy motoring!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
My dear - you probably ought to give us a little more focus on your concerns...there's a LOT of info, and you've opened up a HUGE floodgate.

MINIs are awesome little cars.
* Wonderful handling (corners on all four wheels, even at fast speeds)
* 5-star crash test ratings
* Built like little tanks that can also be speed demons
* Depreciate only about $200 or so a year -- can't be said of any other vehicle out there....
* FUN cars - they have personality, and the community (like NAM here) is wide-ranging and a bunch of great people

There are some drawbacks:
* Many folks complain about "rattles" and "squeeks" -- I've never had this problem, but there are many threads on the topic
* Many people also don't like the run-flat tires. I like mine, no biggie.
* The earlier generation of MINIs (like 2002 - 2005ish models) had a lot of windshield crack problems. I did in my 2004, but no issues with my current 2007 model.

Anyway...give us some of your concerns and we can help answer your thread. If not, you'd be better served just surfing this website and reading all the posts. Good luck & happy motoring!
Great! Thank you - this is exactly the preface that I was hoping for. I was already aware of some of the UP-shot - and now you have enlightened me to even more along that line.

As for the "drawbacks" you have mentioned, well, "squeaks and rattles" I can handle (that would be much more of concern to me if I was looking into a Luxury or Lesiure-type vehicle - but this [Mini] would be a "daily driver" for me - and I'll usually be too busy putting her through her "paces" to notice!).

I - like yourself - am not at all concerned with the "Run-Flats" - as long as the tires "run" - I'm good to go. And the specific info you supplied on the windshields is EXACTLY the info I am concerned with/about.

I am not yet certain whether I would buy New, or "Previously Owned" - but again, the 'year-specific' info you provided is EXCELLENT!!! Thank you again!

I will certainly post back as I journey through my "new education".

g ...

Last edited by grc123; 08-15-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Speelin'
Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I see! Well, that gives me a little more info to start giving you a little bit more:

1st - here's SOME terminology on MINI to start you off - lurk on this NAM website and you'll figure them out. Know that:
"MINI" (all caps) = newer BMW type MINIs.
"Mini" = classic Minis (Austin, etc.)
MA = Motoring Assistant (also known as "the dealer rep.")
MC = MINI Cooper (the "justacooper" or 118 horse power model.)
MCS = MINI Cooper S (the "supercharged" version - after 2007 these are also turbo - about 175 horse power)
JCW = John Cooper Works (REALLY REALLY FAST!!! 200+ horsepower.)
BRG/W = British Racing Green w/ White Top
CR/W (or /B or/etc.) = Chilli Red w/ White (or Black, or whatever) top
etc......

SEcond: Understand that if you think you want an older model MINI, keep in mind that these cars REALLY DO only depreciate about $200 a year...IF that. And prices do not always reflect this, since so many people put more money into them with "modifications" or "mods." If you want a pre-owned MINI, do the research and see if you can get one from a MINI-dealer or something...that way your car has been validated by the actual MINI people who can possibly also give you a modified warranty. Here are some GREAT links:
http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?t=140038

Third: Understand that MINIs aren't like other cars - there is no "year end sale" and there really is no "dealing down" on prices...they're pretty much at MSRP, unless the dealer can work the price down on all the dealer-installed items. If you order one new, try and get all kinds of goodies from the dealer -- rubberized AND carpet floor mats, hats, shirts, stripes, roof decals, etc. Again, surf NAM and you'll see what I'm talking about...

So far, that's all I can think of, but I'm sure I'm leaving something out....

Old 08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
I see! Well, that gives me a little more info to start giving you a little bit more:

1st - here's SOME terminology on MINI to start you off - lurk on this NAM website and you'll figure them out. Know that:
"MINI" (all caps) = newer BMW type MINIs.
"Mini" = classic Minis (Austin, etc.)
MA = Motoring Assistant (also known as "the dealer rep.")
MC = MINI Cooper (the "justacooper" or 118 horse power model.)
MCS = MINI Cooper S (the "supercharged" version - after 2007 these are also turbo - about 175 horse power)
JCW = John Cooper Works (REALLY REALLY FAST!!! 200+ horsepower.)
BRG/W = British Racing Green w/ White Top
CR/W (or /B or/etc.) = Chilli Red w/ White (or Black, or whatever) top
etc......

SEcond: Understand that if you think you want an older model MINI, keep in mind that these cars REALLY DO only depreciate about $200 a year...IF that. And prices do not always reflect this, since so many people put more money into them with "modifications" or "mods." If you want a pre-owned MINI, do the research and see if you can get one from a MINI-dealer or something...that way your car has been validated by the actual MINI people who can possibly also give you a modified warranty. Here are some GREAT links:
http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?t=140038

Third: Understand that MINIs aren't like other cars - there is no "year end sale" and there really is no "dealing down" on prices...they're pretty much at MSRP, unless the dealer can work the price down on all the dealer-installed items. If you order one new, try and get all kinds of goodies from the dealer -- rubberized AND carpet floor mats, hats, shirts, stripes, roof decals, etc. Again, surf NAM and you'll see what I'm talking about...

So far, that's all I can think of, but I'm sure I'm leaving something out....

Wow - great again - thanks again ...

I am pretty certain I want a low-mileage (under, say, "12-15,000" miles at the most) or no mileage "MINI" ('BMW-version' - I think???) - thanks for the clarification on all the acrynoms, etc.

From there, at this moment, I'm not sure what else, though I do know that I WANT SOME LEATHER! Never owned a vehicle with leather - and I understand the drawbacks - but it is what I want.

Oh, I also want standard/manual tranny (though I "may" regret that down the road). I do recall hearing/reading something about "an issue" with the automatics (and besides - what FUN would it be with an auto?) - and I am NOT looking for THAT type of "issue" - NO OFFENSE to anyone who likes their auto. though).

I have a lot to learn here ...

Thanks,
g ...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Well, good luck! Actually, it sounds as if you're definitely looking for the BMW MINIs...the Classic Minis (although I would LOVE to have one myself) are definitely for those who fall into the "gear head" category.

x UHOH x <-- H*U*G*E fan of the 6speed getrag transmission. Even in traffic, you learn to deal with it. I've never regretted it.

Also - I have leatherette and it's great. No issues. Sunroof is wonderful too!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Suzanne's Chili Red S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by grc123
Oh, I also want standard/manual tranny (though I "may" regret that down the road). I do recall hearing/reading something about "an issue" with the automatics (and besides - what FUN would it be with an auto?) - and I am NOT looking for THAT type of "issue" - NO OFFENSE to anyone who likes their auto. though).

Thanks,
g ...
The issue with the automatics was with the CVT which was available on the '02-'06 MINI's (non-S). The Aisin built 6 speed auto in the S version has proven to be very reliable. Good luck with your MINI research!

Last edited by Suzanne's Chili Red S; 08-15-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM
plantain
2nd Gear
I believe the panic over CVTs is rather overblown here on the mini boards. I think I've seen fewer than two actual "reports" of a CVT failing, and most of the other messages are simply rehashes of those original folks.

To put it in perspective, the automatic transmissions are very popular cars and the standard Convertible automatic transmission has been a CVT up until they stopped production this summer.

There many, many other things that are just as likely to go wrong with your car first, so don't let that overly influence your decision making process!

I can tell you one major negative of the MINI design - the windshield is angled much higher than other cars, and as such is more prone to rock damage.

The back of the car is also not very aerodynamic, so you'll find that dust/mud/dirt will accumulate on the back at an astonishing speed. If you don't regularly clean it off you'll find specs of dirt firmly embedded in your paint.

These are all minor complaints though. If you find a MINI you like, enjoy!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Wow - great again - thanks again ...

I am pretty certain I want a low-mileage (under, say, "12-15,000" miles at the most) or no mileage "MINI" ('BMW-version' - I think???) - thanks for the clarification on all the acrynoms, etc.

From there, at this moment, I'm not sure what else, though I do know that I WANT SOME LEATHER! Never owned a vehicle with leather - and I understand the drawbacks - but it is what I want.

Thanks,
g ...
When I was making up my mind on used or new, not too long ago btw, I soon found out that anything with low mileage like what youre talking about had a price tag that was not too dissimilar to a brand new MINI, so I opted for a brand new one and got to build it exactly the way I wanted and then a week later added a ton more to make it even more perfect

Anyway, if you can swing it, go new, do the research but like I said the little research I did found the prices not too far off.

welcome btw

and good luck

Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Well, good luck! Actually, it sounds as if you're definitely looking for the BMW MINIs...the Classic Minis (although I would LOVE to have one myself) are definitely for those who fall into the "gear head" category.

x UHOH x <-- H*U*G*E fan of the 6speed getrag transmission. Even in traffic, you learn to deal with it. I've never regretted it.

Also - I have leatherette and it's great. No issues. Sunroof is wonderful too!
Thank you - and thank you all.

Just curious, why would you say it sounds as if I'm "definitely" looking for the BMW MINI as opposed to the Classic? And why, if I may ask, is the classic more so considered to be for the "Gear-Head"? I have long-LOVED to "twist wrenches" (for purposes of MAINTENANCE that is!), though age and some health issues have creeped-up on me - so I'm not sure how able I'll be for all of the maintenance any longer - which leads me to a BIG QUESTION:
how accessible are the oil-FILTERS on these little beasts - "in general"?

I understand that they may be in different locations for different model-years and different engine sizes/configurations - but I'm just asking "in general", how well did the engineers design things for the backyard/shade-tree/Harry Homeowner/John Q. Public/Do-it-yourself-er type?? Things (access) must be "tight" with most things (maintenance items) on such a small vehicle, eh?

I know I would be cussing (!!!@#$%^&*)(+=!!!*&^%$#@!!!) on occasion as I am coming from (the last eight years) owning a small ("compact") Pick-up Truck (lots of room under the hood) - where even there, the oil filter - and some of the other maintenance - was a bit of a pain to deal with!

g
PS - Oh, could you please explain what you mean by leather - "ette" (?), and please-please do tell more about this 'Getrag' 6-Spd manual tranny ... oh, and also, could you or someone please explain: there is a difference between a "MINI", and a "MINI Cooper"? (or a "Mini" and a "Mini Cooper"?) - correct?

Last edited by grc123; 08-18-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Just curious, why would you say it sounds as if I'm "definitely" looking for the BMW MINI as opposed to the Classic? And why, if I may ask, is the classic more so considered to be for the "Gear-Head"?

PS - Oh, could you please explain to me what you mean by leather - "ette" ... oh, and also, could you or someone please explain: there is a difference between a "MINI", and a "MINI Cooper"? (or a "Mini" and a "Mini Cooper"?) - correct?
The Classic Mini is the Mini that was manufactured from 1959 to 2000- the "old school" Mini a la Italian Job with Michael Caine. The BMW MINI is the model manufactured from 2001 to today- the "new style" MINI a la Italian Job with Mark Wahlberg. So, if you are looking for a MINI with 12-15,000 miles on it, you would be hard pressed to find a Classic Mini with that low mileage. The Classic Mini's are also kinda known to be a "mechanic's car" (for the "gear-heads") as they always have something to be fixed- not necessarily major, but "something". And they don't have all the modern conveniences as the BMW MINI does. So, with all that in mind, it seems you would be better suited with a BMW MINI.

There is not a difference between "MINI" and "MINI Cooper", just think of it as a make and model: Make- MINI, Model- Cooper, or Cooper S, etc.

Leatherette is a synthetic leather that, according to most, stands up to time better than leather as it doesn't wrinkle or sag as time passes.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Reldieh
The Classic Mini is the Mini that was manufactured from 1959 to 2000- the "old school" Mini a la Italian Job with Michael Caine. The BMW MINI is the model manufactured from 2001 to today- the "new style" MINI a la Italian Job with Mark Wahlberg. So, if you are looking for a MINI with 12-15,000 miles on it, you would be hard pressed to find a Classic Mini with that low mileage. The Classic Mini's are also kinda known to be a "mechanic's car" (for the "gear-heads") as they always have something to be fixed- not necessarily major, but "something". And they don't have all the modern conveniences as the BMW MINI does. So, with all that in mind, it seems you would be better suited with a BMW MINI.

There is not a difference between "MINI" and "MINI Cooper", just think of it as a make and model: Make- MINI, Model- Cooper, or Cooper S, etc.

Leatherette is a synthetic leather that, according to most, stands up to time better than leather as it doesn't wrinkle or sag as time passes.
Great - Excellent - Beautiful - Thank you!

Yes, I am interested in the Newer MINI, as I'm looking for a "daily-driver" right off the bat (though if things work-out, a "Classic" as a "Project", might be cool!).

Question on the leatherette: Does it at all have a "scent" such as real leather - and is genuine leather an option? I seem to recall something called 'naugahyde' (spelling??) - is this the same?

Thanks again,
g ...

Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
You're welcome.

I've never "experienced" the leatherette myself, so I'm not sure if it has a smell. I'm sure someone else here could be of better help with that.

There are a few different genuine leather options for the MINI, so I don't think you'd have much trouble finding/getting that if it's want you really want. Although, I don't remember seeing an option for naugahyde- which is an artificial leather as well.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
To me, "leatherette" is just a euphemism for "fancy looking vinyl". Personally, I wasn't impressed with the texture or look when compared to leather or cloth. It definitely didn't have that "soft" feel that leather does. However, I also couldn't justify spending at least $1500 on leather, so I went with cloth.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
I can't comment from experience on the oil changes, but in general it seems many people here change their own oil with no major issues.

and please-please do tell more about this 'Getrag' 6-Spd manual tranny
Just a fancy sounding term for "6 speed manual transmission".

Old 08-18-2008, 03:55 PM
grc123
2nd Gear
Thanks again to you all ...

I very much do prefer to do my own oil-changes (for over 30 years), and as much regular/routine maintenance as the ol' bod' will allow, so I'll have to go take a peek under the hood (and/or perhaps under the motor?) of one of these li'l rascals and see how things (filters, etc.) line up ...

As far as leather, I've never owned a vehicle with it, and will (for once) be able to handle "a little" extra expense - and this is something I'm looking forward to - "splurging" on leather - lol ... (perhaps the bucks I would save opting for a manual vs. an automatic will make-up the difference - somewhat?). I'm looking forward to "the scent" of leather, for the most part - secondarily the 'ease of cleaning' compared to cloth (spills, etc.) - and then "the feel", I suppose.

Next for me would be: "Available Engines" (size/etc., options)

Thanks again,
glenn
PS - Oh, could someone tell me please: the difference between the "S", and the 'non-S'? I'm guessing the S = "Sport" model, with some extra-BANG! -?

Last edited by grc123; 08-18-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Next for me would be: "Available Engines" (size/etc., options)

Thanks again,
glenn
PS - Oh, could someone tell me please: the difference between the "S", and the 'non-S'? I'm guessing the S = "Sport" model, with some extra-BANG! -?
Pretty much. The biggest difference is that the MCS has the turbo. It both provides a great bump in performance, though a bit of a hit in MPG. For me, that was a no brainer. I like to go fast!

You can do a side-by-side comparison between models here:

http://www.miniusa.com/#/learn/FACTS...deComparison-s

Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I'm glad to see that you are interested in getting real cow. Non-cow, leather-like materials tend to have this peel and stick effect that occurs when you sit down that disregards whatever garments may be between you and the seat. I don't mean to offend anyone who has them, but I really detest MINIs leatherette seats. They're awful. I didn't notice a smell in the loaner I drove with them, but I was so busy focusing on the fact that my tank top was stuck to the seat back that I didn't really care if there was a smell.

Also, something else that most newcomers are unaware of, if you plan to buy new... when you walk onto a MINI lot, don't expect a salesman to walk up and talk to you right away. They will leave you alone and let you look until you go inside, and then the receptionist will ask if she can help you. It is unlikely that you will be approached by a salesman directly. You'll have to go get one. It's not an attitude thing. It's really more that the motoring advisers are busy because these cars are selling so well due to being cute, fun and getting awesome mpgs, that they have no choice but to set up appointments for test drives.

Keep us posted on your MINI search! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and.. by the way.. welcome to NAM.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
grc--welcome to NAM! I can tell you're certainly headed for a MINI, though my crystal ball isn't nearly as clear on the details. In case you don't know about it, in the upper right corner is a 'search' button that allows you to query to your heart's content and be overwhelmed with information on your every question. You have some great responses here and many of these folks tirelessly answered many of my questions too. The search function just gives you another option (for those wee hours when no one's on ). Good luck with your choices!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I hope the research is working for you, GRC123! And these folks who have posted their comments are giving you some good scoop.

I have the leatherette (like I said) and I really haven't had a problem with it (peel & stick like friend RandomGemini), but VA is the hottest place I"ve lived WITH the MINI (got up to 105 degrees this summer.) It doesn't really smell too much like leather, but it does have a different aroma than cloth. I have decided I don't like cloth seats anymore, after having non-cloth. MUCH easier to clean up. (I have two dogs, and I'm a coffee-while-driving-drinker so...) If you have the opportunity to splurge and you want leather, GO FOR IT!

The 6-speed "Getrag" transmission essentially meant noticably less lag-time between shifting. One of the more mechanically-intelligent folks can be more technically specific... One of the issues that I"m not "sold" on -- disputes continue on NAM -- is that I have the Cooper S, 6speed Getrag with turbo...I am under the impression this means I have the dual push of supercharged AND turbo -- engine is supercharged to start, and then, at certain speeds/triggers the turbo kicks in. I've met with disagreement that MINI only kept the "S" for tradition sake and the turbo is the only thing going in my car.... Again, I'm not sold on that idea. But I'm NOT a gear head.

But like I said before: there are three varieties of MINI.
1.) MINI Cooper, or "justacooper" w/about 115 horsepower - you can tell which ones these are since they have ONE tailpipe, and NO scoop in the hood - the ZIG in "ZIG, ZAG, ZUG" advertisements.
2.) MINI Cooper S (turbo in 2007 models+) w/175 horsepower - these have a scoop in the hood, and TWO tailpipes centered in the back. The ZAG.
3.) MINI Clubman (these can come in either justacooper or the S variety) - these have the extended back end and "barn doors" in the back. The ZUG.

While you're deciding, and since most of the dealerships have a very scanty selection on their lots,....I'd suggest you find the nearest MINI motoring club and go to one of their meets/events. That way you can really check out a MINI with different options you may want. MINI clubs are generally pretty friendly, so, just let them know you're interested in MINI, and you may be overloaded with info!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
One of the issues that I"m not "sold" on -- disputes continue on NAM -- is that I have the Cooper S, 6speed Getrag with turbo...I am under the impression this means I have the dual push of supercharged AND turbo -- engine is supercharged to start, and then, at certain speeds/triggers the turbo kicks in. I've met with disagreement that MINI only kept the "S" for tradition sake and the turbo is the only thing going in my car.... Again, I'm not sold on that idea. But I'm NOT a gear head.
Are you saying your MCS has a supercharger and a turbo? The 02-06 have superchargers and no turbo. 07+ has a turbo and no supercharger.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 AM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Dont forget the ol JCW. which is even more powerful. And I thought that the cabrio was the zag and justacooper and mcs were zig.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I never said I was perfect! (Actually, I was out of the country when they started up that whole ZIG ZAG ZUG thing.) You could be right about the cabrio...

And YEP - Tu13es - that's what I'm talking about. When I ordered my car (in Germany) in FEB 07, I was assured by the MA (not called that there) and the MINI mechanics that not only was I the first to order one of the first turbo-ed MCS w/ US specs in Germany, but it was both supercharged and turbo. AGAIN, I MUST CAVEAT THIS STATEMENT WITH THE NOTE I AM NOT A GEAR HEAD! Nor am I a mechanical engineer!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
I agree with X on the clean up issue. Cloth is a pain to keep clean, especially because in the MINI, the cloth is black so you get odd smears from stuff you would not expect like... say someone gets into your car wearing sunblock and they failed to let it dry before they got in...

I'm also a bean connoisseur. Coffee isn't just a habit where I live. It's a way of life. You can't swing a cat around here without hitting a drive thru Java hut that will happily assist you in mainlining espresso. One of the places here will set you up in a tanning bed while you drink your mocha. My rule is that drinks go in the cup holder if they're not in your hand, and I give people dirty looks if they try order drinks that won't fit in my cup holders. Yeah, I'm a bit of a neat freak about my car's interior.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Hey gang - I'm back with a few more questions ...

After now having taken a little time to learn, via the internet, I know a bit more. My questions today pertain more to pricing (I Trust you folks right-off-the-bat more than an "Motoring Advisor"/SALES person ...).

1. The price of an convertible is going to be about $4-$5000 more - correct? (*side note: it was mentioned earlier in this thread about some owners complaining of "squeaks and rattles" - I am wondering what percentage of these folks own the convertible? I owned a convertible once [`72 Chevy Malibu - bought used in 1978/`79] - and it squeaked, rattled, and overall just did not feel as solid as the same model in a hardtop).

2. Is the sunroof in the hardtop of 'traditional' style/function (will tilt-up and/or slide back/open?

3. What do the most popular colors (or is it "colours" heh-heh) seem to be? And the least?

4. Are ALL models going to require "Premium" (higher octane) fuel - or just the higher-end Sport models?

Thanks as always,
glenn

Last edited by grc123; 08-20-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: New Here - am considering to own a Mini(?)