1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
LOL!!!!! LMAO!!! I KNOW I have found a home here.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're losing this lowly veterinarian with this high faluting discourse.

But, to answer the question...my Mini is heading for Michigan by way of Charleston. (Hmmmm...isn't NY closer? Well, at least it's not Brunswick, GA. Looks like both WW and K Line deliver to the port of Charleston, so it's up in the air.

But I'll try to be optimistic and keep checking my VIN...

Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
You're losing this lowly veterinarian with this high faluting discourse.

But, to answer the question...my Mini is heading for Michigan by way of Charleston. (Hmmmm...isn't NY closer? Well, at least it's not Brunswick, GA. Looks like both WW and K Line deliver to the port of Charleston, so it's up in the air.

But I'll try to be optimistic and keep checking my VIN...
NAM seemed to have a minor stroke so my last response didn't make it. Lemme try again.

NY is definitely closer. Gotta be a reason. Maybe the high level of traffic through the NY ports? Not really sure.

Veterinarian??? WOW!!!!!! Large animal, small animal, or both? If you tell me you work in a zoo, I will be there for a personal tour.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 AM
spicytuna
Neutral
Keep checking the WW website. Mine finished the 26th and showed nothing early this morning. A few hours later it was showing as shipping on the Fedora.
You must have a crystal ball because now it looks like my car is on the Fedora leaving Southampton on 10/1. WooHoo!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 AM
spicytuna
Neutral
Found this pic of the Fedora. Apparently in can hold 8000 cars!!!

Enjoy fellow car nerds

Attached Thumbnails Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group-10031.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by spicytuna
You must have a crystal ball because now it looks like my car is on the Fedora leaving Southampton on 10/1. WooHoo!!!
Just one of my many talents. No charge for this one, but, if you want lottery numbers, there will be a modest fee.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the_edge8
For the Isolde folks, I don't see why you wouldn't have your cars by halloween. If the ship leaves today, add on 2 weeks, then possibly (hopefully) a few days at the VDC and then 3 days at your dealership and then thats that!

the Fedora leaves on the 1st, arrives the 10th, I think we should be ready for pick up anywhere from the 17th and up.
See, y're in the eastern division, Wandrur and I and few others are in the western division, which equals longer transit times.

For example, there's the journey via truck backtracking 1200 miles thru the deserts and mtns to Colorado, and delivering cars to Portland and Seattle. Plus the journey from SH to Port Hueneme takes a tick over three weeks, not two. so if Isolde arrives at PH on 10/23 as scheduled, then 3 days at VDC (best case), which would place our cars leaving VDC around the 27th. Denver is literally the last stop after SLC or Albuquerque, depending on the route, so tack on 5 more days, so dealer arrival would be around election day, then I have some JCW and other work being done, so I figure delivery sometime near 11/8. because of the delay in the model year switch, when I ordered my MINI on 7/15 I was told 120 days to delivery, and that's what it is looking to be.

BMW really needs a VDC in the Gulf somewhere.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Hmmm... I am apparently too technologically inept to figure out how to quote someone else in my reply.

ANYWAY...I just wanted to say 'boo hoo'...still can't find out anything about shipping. Guess it's back to my MA. I kind of avoid doing that. It's a new dealership and apparently they haven't dealt with many OCMD cases yet. He thinks I'm insane! Nevertheless, he treats me kindly...like you might treat your slightly dotty old neighbor...

And in response to 'Mini is as Mini does' - I'm very sorry to disappoint but I'm not a zoo vet, though that is what I originally thought I wanted to do. After I got into vet school and realized that there were only a very tiny number of jobs for zoo vets, I checked out large animal (grew up on James Herriot, after all) but got very discouraged by the bias against women in that field (this was in the early 80s). Finally ended up in small animal, but got bored after a few years so eventually went back to grad school. After some time teaching at a university, I wound up working in the pharmaceutical industry. Interesting career overall, but pretty boring compared to being a zoo vet!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM
sequence
6th Gear
for all of U Isolders

here's a .pdf fact sheet on our boat, damn thing's bigger than an aircraft carrier!

http://www.walleniuslines.com/Global...PDF/Isolde.pdf

Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
Hmmm... I am apparently too technologically inept to figure out how to quote someone else in my reply.

ANYWAY...I just wanted to say 'boo hoo'...still can't find out anything about shipping. Guess it's back to my MA. I kind of avoid doing that. It's a new dealership and apparently they haven't dealt with many OCMD cases yet. He thinks I'm insane! Nevertheless, he treats me kindly...like you might treat your slightly dotty old neighbor...

And in response to 'Mini is as Mini does' - I'm very sorry to disappoint but I'm not a zoo vet, though that is what I originally thought I wanted to do. After I got into vet school and realized that there were only a very tiny number of jobs for zoo vets, I checked out large animal (grew up on James Herriot, after all) but got very discouraged by the bias against women in that field (this was in the early 80s). Finally ended up in small animal, but got bored after a few years so eventually went back to grad school. After some time teaching at a university, I wound up working in the pharmaceutical industry. Interesting career overall, but pretty boring compared to being a zoo vet!
I LOVE James Herriot's books. I have then on my shelf and every couple of years I pick them up and read them all over again. I guess visiting a pharmaceutical house would not be as much fun as visiting a zoo so I will stay in NY.

Keep pushing your MA, get to the manager if you have to.

To quote someone else's posting, just hit the "Quote" button at the bottom right of their post. And yes, I DO search for my glasses when they are on my face.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM
sequence
6th Gear
being on the Isolde got me diggin into my old classical records (yes, records) and tapes to find the Wagner opera Tristan und Isolde. evidently WW has a sister ship Tristan in the fleet this boat stuff is fun I didnt do this 4 years ago 'cause I had no idea what boat I was on!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
being on the Isolde got me diggin into my old classical records (yes, records) and tapes to find the Wagner opera Tristan und Isolde. evidently WW has a sister ship Tristan in the fleet this boat stuff is fun I didnt do this 4 years ago 'cause I had no idea what boat I was on!
COOOOOOL. A re-discovery born from the insanity of waiting on a Mini. I love Italian operas (mainly Puccini) but I always found the German operas too heavy going. I guess since mine is coming in on the Fedora, I need to find a local haberdashery to haunt. Wonder how I would look in a hat . . . .

Old 09-30-2008, 07:39 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
ITo quote someone else's posting, just hit the "Quote" button at the bottom right of their post. And yes, I DO search for my glasses when they are on my face.
Wow, when I read this, I really thought I was losing it! But in fact, I can't see the 'quote' buttons on my usual computer (OK, I admit it...my work computer...). I just switched to my 'home' computer (which I rarely use), and by golly, there they are! Guess I must have some barrier to full-featured NAM on the other system... Hmmm...very clever of them...

Thanks!!

And I sure wish I could be shopping for a Fedora or gleefully listening to opera... I talked to my MA this afternoon and the best he could tell me is that Little Blu finished production and is scheduled to ship out in the next 'few days'. Sigh. Maybe I'd better get back to doing yoga and just forget about tracking my car. Watched pot theory and such...

Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
What's the good word everyone, looks like we should be leaving today! Anyone have any info about the hurricanes? The week 38 people seem to think that the east coast folks (from week 38) were held up last week due to hurricanes, while the west coast ppl were not held up at all. ---don't the boats come across the Atlantic regardless of whether or not they are headed to the east or west coast? Just out of my own curiosity...

Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
What's the good word everyone, looks like we should be leaving today! Anyone have any info about the hurricanes? The week 38 people seem to think that the east coast folks (from week 38) were held up last week due to hurricanes, while the west coast ppl were not held up at all. ---don't the boats come across the Atlantic regardless of whether or not they are headed to the east or west coast? Just out of my own curiosity...
Not sure when the Fedora will get under way. If I am reading it correctly, it was late getting into port but I am not sure. I have been wrong many times before and look forward to all opportunities to be wrong in the future.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
[quote=wurking_girl;2489712]Wow, when I read this, I really thought I was losing it! But in fact, I can't see the 'quote' buttons on my usual computer (OK, I admit it...my work computer...). I just switched to my 'home' computer (which I rarely use), and by golly, there they are! Guess I must have some barrier to full-featured NAM on the other system... Hmmm...very clever of them...
quote]
When you are checking on your Mini . . . ummmmm, when you are working EXTREMELY hard, make sure you are actually logged into NAM and not just viewing it. That could be the reason for the vanishing buttons.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Not sure when the Fedora will get under way. If I am reading it correctly, it was late getting into port but I am not sure. I have been wrong many times before and look forward to all opportunities to be wrong in the future.
Yes, I am, in point of fact, reading it wrong. But the Fedora is still showing as moored in Southampton.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
hmm...well it still has a shot of leaving on 10/1 (UK time). WW site shows my car as being loaded on at 15:36. So that was hours ago.

Back in August, my car was on the Patriot and the boat left the same day it arrived, and then did the same in NY; dropped off the cars and then took off during the same day. I think I had to wait about 4 or 5 days once my once the boat arrived, then it finally made it to the dealer on a saturday and I was able to pick the car up on wednesday. (It was also labor day weekend) So hopefully it will go a bit quicker this time around.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
hmm...well it still has a shot of leaving on 10/1 (UK time). WW site shows my car as being loaded on at 15:36. So that was hours ago.

Back in August, my car was on the Patriot and the boat left the same day it arrived, and then did the same in NY; dropped off the cars and then took off during the same day. I think I had to wait about 4 or 5 days once my once the boat arrived, then it finally made it to the dealer on a saturday and I was able to pick the car up on wednesday. (It was also labor day weekend) So hopefully it will go a bit quicker this time around.
I checked the website for the shipping line and it shows my Mini as being loaded at 14:43 so I am certainly on the ship. One day turn-around is pretty good for a ship that size. Got my fingers crossed.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
For the Fedora Folks

Fedora has left port at Southampton. I am going to need valium shortly. I appear to be minorly obsessed with this car. Yes, I did almost type it as "minirly."

Old 10-01-2008, 02:06 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
wahoo! up up and away! ..or maybe row row row your boat?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
wandrur
wahoo! up up and away! ..or maybe row row row your boat?
Wow, the idea of rowing across the Atlantic...

Old 10-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
Wow, the idea of rowing across the Atlantic...
THAT'S why we need to start building that rhetoric!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
wandrur
THAT'S why we need to start building that rhetoric!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
Alright lets take some guesses for pickup times. I'm putting my money on 10/20 given the boat arrives in NY on the 10th.

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group