1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Davidson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know, I just read the report thread on the west coast VDC and saw the pic of that MINI with the crushed roof! and I'm getting all jittery, lol

Does anyone have a page or info on the SC VDC? I'm sitting here trying to figure out an educated ETA on when this thing might get here in Houston. It calms my nerves :P

Oh and off topic a bit... does anyone know where all this great MINI art comes from that people have in their signatures? I found the thread on all the badges but a lot of people have, like, pixel-art style drawings of their MINIs and such and I want one too!

ps. yall can call me Brooks, I just couldn't come up with anything better for my screen name

Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Hey Brooks! I love that art, too... Can you believe that one incredibly generous and talented NAM member (Cooperation) has done all the art, making many of the members' cars individually and even creating full sig blocks for them?! What a great guy! I haven't seen a lot of new ones coming out lately - maybe he got sick and tired of the requests , or maybe he just caught up with the demand? Anyway, this thread is what you're looking for:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=71003

Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Oh, and as to the VDC and transit time, my MA told me to plan on about 2-3 days transit time from the VDC to Michigan, so I would guess yours would be about the same?

Strange how MAs seem to be informed (and uninformed) on different things, isn't it?? Mine can't tell me which ship my MINI is on, but he did know it would arrive at the VDC on 10/16 (same date the Western Highway gets in!) and would be at the dealership 2-3 days after that. Yours seems to know that your MINI is on Western Highway but doesn't have the other info...

I just attribute the gaps at this end to the fact that our dealership is brand new (grand opening is actually next week), so they just don't know much about this obsessive field of MINI-tracking. I mean, what other cars do people go ga-ga over like this, tracking them across the ocean??!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Davidson
1st Gear
too true, I don't know of any!

In actuality my MA did say it would take about 3 days to get in from the VDC, but my question really is how long will it take to a) get to the VDC from the port and then b) how long will it stay at the VDC? Knowing that I can hopefully figure out when to really expect her

So, have any of you that came over on Fedora or Isolde gotten any news?

Old 10-08-2008, 02:51 PM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
My MA told me a few minutes ago that he was 98% sure that my MINI would be ready to be picked up next Thursday morning. Milo is currently on the Fedora.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TravisNJ
My MA told me a few minutes ago that he was 98% sure that my MINI would be ready to be picked up next Thursday morning. Milo is currently on the Fedora.
AWESOME!!!! I did not pick too many dealer extras and nothing totally outlandish so, hopefully, I'll get mine around the same time. Waiting is killing me.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
AWESOME!!!! I did not pick too many dealer extras and nothing totally outlandish so, hopefully, I'll get mine around the same time. Waiting is killing me.

Okay, just kidding. Totally thrilled for you! Just longing to be united with my fantasy in black...

Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur

Okay, just kidding. Totally thrilled for you! Just longing to be united with my fantasy in black...
MOVE TO NY. QUICK!!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:19 PM
wandrur
MOVE TO NY. QUICK!!!!
Yah, don't tempt me.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Davidson
hey all, just wanted to finally say hi and greet everyone. I'm kinda late to the party (ie therapy session) here but I've been following the thread for weeks now. I finally got off my rear and registered and can post now. :D

Eoff and wurking girl, I was also without much info/hope for awhile when it seemed my baby had missed both the Fedora and the Isolde, but I finally got some good news from my MA and thanks to that thread you mentioned I finally have a bearing on my order! I hope you guys/gals are with me on the Western!
I just received an email from my MA today confirming my MINI is on the K-Line ship "Western Highway". Yea!!!

I also noticed the status updated on the web site to "en route". Seems like the web site is always a few days to a week behind.

I'm in Tennessee, so I'm not sure about the timing after it goes through the VDC.

Sounds like wurking_girl is also on the Western. Hoping it's a smooth, uneventful journey across the ocean.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
Welcome, Davidson - and great news for both you and Eoff! This group has been a great help to me in getting thru the long weeks of waiting. Only problem I've had is in restraining myself from BUYING STUFF I've read about on NAM. Even when MINI was just a twinkle in my eye, I was tempted daily by stickers, badges, glove box organizers, wheels, seat covers...you name it!

I've also gone thru 'hypochondriac-like' fears that my car will be missing parts...will be damaged in transit...will overwhelm me with its torque steer...will be configured wrong...will be subject to the lemon law...will arrive with no anthracite headliner (oh wait...I didn't order the anthracite headliner!)...

In other words, too much knowledge may actually be dangerous for my somewhat obsessive personality type! Yet I find that 'resistance is futile...' -I can't stay away! Enjoy!
I'm right there with you on the OCD personality. I managed to lay low for the first month. Now my patience is thin.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Welcome, Davidson - and great news for both you and Eoff! This group has been a great help to me in getting thru the long weeks of waiting. Only problem I've had is in restraining myself from BUYING STUFF I've read about on NAM. Even when MINI was just a twinkle in my eye, I was tempted daily by stickers, badges, glove box organizers, wheels, seat covers...you name it!

I've also gone thru 'hypochondriac-like' fears that my car will be missing parts...will be damaged in transit...will overwhelm me with its torque steer...will be configured wrong...will be subject to the lemon law...will arrive with no anthracite headliner (oh wait...I didn't order the anthracite headliner!)...

In other words, too much knowledge may actually be dangerous for my somewhat obsessive personality type! Yet I find that 'resistance is futile...' -I can't stay away! Enjoy!
You just HAD to bring up . . . ACCESSORIES!!!! I played with the configurator on MINIUSA for months. The first car was VERY basic and boring. The next had a price tag in the mesosphere. I played and played . . . I mean, I carefully researched all of the options and decided which ones are purely frivolous (for me) and which ones are ABSOLUTE necessities. I was able to being the price down into the stratosphere. Further playi . . .RESEARCH allowed me to bring it into the realm of reason. I have studiously ignored all references to glove box organisers, stickers, . . . <ulp> BADGES!!! OMG, the BADGES. I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO THIS!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
I WILL NOT GIVE IN TO THIS!!!
Your will is stronger than mine... My first order from Aesthetic Creations is on the way as we speak (er, type). So far, just a few little decorative stickers, but..................those BADGES ARE CALLING TO ME, TOO!

I keep hoping that once MINI arrives, this insanity will pass. BUT...when I look at the size, scope and longevity of this NAM community, I suspect it's ONLY THE BEGINNING...........

Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Oh, and in the interests of full disclosure, did I mention the big ol' box of DETAILING SUPPLIES I just received??? Truely, insanity. I find it a challenge to get my Subaru through the drive-thru car wash on a regular basis... MINI-FEVER - it's got me!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:48 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
WAIT...WAIT...one more thing! My status in the OL has just changed to 'En Route'! MA still has no info on the ship, but who cares?? Maybe Dory is swimming her way over to me?!

OK, last one today - have to go out of town for a business meeting. (Darn work...interfering with my obsession...)

Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Oh, and in the interests of full disclosure, did I mention the big ol' box of DETAILING SUPPLIES I just received??? Truely, insanity. I find it a challenge to get my Subaru through the drive-thru car wash on a regular basis... MINI-FEVER - it's got me!
Confession time. I bought my last car in gray so I would not have to wash it on a regular basis. I had detailing kit and super-absorbent wipes before I figured the final configuration of my Mini. I appear to have had a very early case of Mini fever that then went into remission but is, once again, rearing its ugly head. Interestingly enough, that head has badges and a glovebox organizer and . . . . I better go lay down.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Davidson
1st Gear
I'm not at all tempted by these glovebox organizers or detailing kits but I really am strongly considering getting a grille badge or two

Oh and I setup a sig finally! Be safe on your trip Wurkin' G

Old 10-09-2008, 10:38 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I knew there was ONE advantage to living on the E coast...

Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 AM
sequence
6th Gear
hey all, just wanted to finally say hi and greet everyone. I'm kinda late to the party (ie therapy session) here but I've been following the thread for weeks now. I finally got off my rear and registered and can post now. :D

Eoff and wurking girl, I was also without much info/hope for awhile when it seemed my baby had missed both the Fedora and the Isolde, but I finally got some good news from my MA and thanks to that thread you mentioned I finally have a bearing on my order! I hope you guys/gals are with me on the Western!
Welcome Davidson. And yr car would not be on the Isolde because that boat is west coast bound. Being in Texas, I would imagine yr car is coming thru the Charleston VDC.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by wandrur
My little beauty is on the Isolde, yes. According to WW's tracking, the Isolde should arrive in Galveston, TX, on October 11th and then depart on October 12th, arriving in Panama Canal on October 16th (my birthday), flowing through that same day and arriving at Port Hueneme, CA, on October 24th.
Originally Posted by sequence
Welcome Davidson. And yr car would not be on the Isolde because that boat is west coast bound. Being in Texas, I would imagine yr car is coming thru the Charleston VDC.
But the Isolde is stopping in Galveston...is that for some other thing? Is there not a BMW/MINI VDC there?

Just answered my own question by searching around, and the How to Track Your MINI thread lists the MINI VDCs:
The Ports of Call for MINI deliveries and their shipping companies are:
-Halifax, Nova Scotia (Port Loc = ?) : WW, ~6 days for transport
-New York City, NY (Port Loc = NYCPOA) : WW, ~8 days for transport (truly based in Jersey City, NJ)
-Charleston, SC (Port Loc = CHSPOA) : WW and K-Line, ~15 days on WW, ~13 days on K-Line
-Brunswick, GA (Port Loc = SSIPOA) : WW, ~17 days for transport (thanks to Bandit for the Loc Code!)
-Manzanillo, a.k.a. Panama Canal (Point of reference only) : WW, ~13 days
-Port Hueneme, CA (Port Loc = PHMPOA): WW, ~21 days for transport (thanks krim)

Old 10-09-2008, 07:10 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Oh and I setup a sig finally!
Good job! But I think I missed some of those items on the configurator... Star Trek fan? Sci fi? Or just a techhie? Say, you need to check out the custom toggle switch labels that are available out there:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=154518

And nice MINI, too...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
woohooo lets hear it for lightning blue ppl! did you get a back roof and black stripes??

Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Davidson
1st Gear
lol yeah all of the above.. I tried to be at least a bit on the other side of ordinary when listing the options :P Thx for the link, I'll check those out!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Wandrur I believe Isolde is stopping in Galveston to unload Mercedes and Volvo trucks for hurricane relief help.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM
wandrur
Originally Posted by sequence
Wandrur I believe Isolde is stopping in Galveston to unload Mercedes and Volvo trucks for hurricane relief help.
Gotcha.

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group