1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidson
lol yeah all of the above.. I tried to be at least a bit on the other side of ordinary when listing the options :P Thx for the link, I'll check those out!
You didn't get the warp drive and cloaking device???

Old 10-10-2008, 02:44 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by the_edge8
woohooo lets hear it for lightning blue ppl! did you get a back roof and black stripes??
Nope - I went for the silver roof/bars/stripes...wanted to lighten it up a bit. I'm sure both look great, tho I really can only judge from pics as I have yet to see a LiB in person! Another crazy thing about MINIs - picking a color sight unseen! New dealership, only two cars - both Pepper White and Black!

I take it yours is blue & black? Very cool...

Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to all the other Denver folk: I stopped by the dealer today to finalize numbers (and get the x warr/protection pak spiel) and my MA claims that even if Isolde doesnt get to PH until 10/24, he expects the cars at the dealer's new car prep and accessory install center on S Federal Blvd by Halloween, and said that we could wake up weds AM with not only a new prez, but a new MINI all ready to go--if not that day, pretty dang close.

that is, of course, no VDC hangups. They're a-comin, Ma!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:33 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
to all the other Denver folk: I stopped by the dealer today to finalize numbers (and get the x warr/protection pak spiel) and my MA claims that even if Isolde doesnt get to PH until 10/24, he expects the cars at the dealer's new car prep and accessory install center on S Federal Blvd by Halloween, and said that we could wake up weds AM with not only a new prez, but a new MINI all ready to go--if not that day, pretty dang close.

that is, of course, no VDC hangups. They're a-comin, Ma!
Rock on. I've emailed my MA regarding the final numbers and am waiting for a response. The only thing that I have listed for dealer install is Schomp's version of the center arm rest. Maybe I'll get mine before you get yours!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:58 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I just hope my anthracite headliner is in my car, although the awesome service dept assured me that if it is not (they ran out at the factory) they will install one.

It is still listed in my OL accessory listing, and it appears the shortage is only affecting Clubbies.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:04 AM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
I just hope my anthracite headliner is in my car, although the awesome service dept assured me that if it is not (they ran out at the factory) they will install one.

It is still listed in my OL accessory listing, and it appears the shortage is only affecting Clubbies.
I'm guessing it doesn't affect both as the headliners are different sizes.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by wandrur
Rock on. I've emailed my MA regarding the final numbers and am waiting for a response. The only thing that I have listed for dealer install is Schomp's version of the center arm rest. Maybe I'll get mine before you get yours!
Got my total now. Only a few more weeks...so exciting!!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:43 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Yup, less than a month. the excitement builds. already decided to *not* have RS drill the bumper to mount the front plate holder. going with the MiniMania adjustable plate bracket that mounts in the front tow hook hole, so the plate rests down and to the side instead of dead center. Very European.

And ya know they changed these cars so much in 2007 that my old cool looking semi-stub $529 Honda S2000/Element billet antenna that fit my R53 doesnt fit the 2nd gen? Same with the Jack valve stem caps, because the TPMS needs their own kind. The old ones now reside on my beater 1986 Toy PU that just turned 270K.

but at least my license plate frames, rear mats, boot mat and extender, and boot box still fit OK, with a little tweak of the knife. dont know about the sunshade yet tho.

so has anyone else here considered getting grille badges? I think they look kinda cool, Id just be worried about them getting ripped off by punks and ne'er-do-wells.

Last edited by sequence; 10-11-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 AM
wandrur
I've seen a few of the badges around. Probably won't do anything like that for a little while. Need to get accustomed to my new road home.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
I like the grill badges, too, but I have resisted ordering any to this point. I go back and forth between wanting all sorts of 'stuff' vs. going with a more 'purist' look. I guess I'll just start with stripes and see how things develop from there...

My husband mentioned someone lifting the badges, too...never even occurred to naive me!

Old 10-12-2008, 02:16 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
My husband mentioned someone lifting the badges, too...never even occurred to naive me!
Oh, to not be a cynic about humankind...how I miss those days.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
Oh, to not be a cynic about humankind...how I miss those days.
Grad school will do that to you...

Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Just logged into OL and it said "Estimated Delivery Date (to dealer I assume): 10/13/08"

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LONGEST WEEK EVER.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
What a great feeling, tho!

Where in OL does it give an estimated delivery date? All I'm seeing is that list that (in my case) now says 'En Route'. When it gets to 'at distribution center' or 'at your MINI dealer' does it then show more info?

Of course, at the rate my OL status changes, I'll be driving around in my MINI before the status finally gets to 'at dealer'!

Seems very promising, at any rate!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:46 PM
wandrur
Grad school will do that to you...
Amen to that.

I keep thinking...red pill, blue pill...red pill, blue pill...

I like knowing the things that make me cynical, though. I'd prefer to know than to not know. But, man, it get hard sometimes.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
I know this has been discussed in other forums before. However, I wanted to pitch this to the Week 39 group:

Are you going to give your MINI a name?

If yes, how did you come up with that name?

If no, why not?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by Eoff
I know this has been discussed in other forums before. However, I wanted to pitch this to the Week 39 group:

Are you going to give your MINI a name?

If yes, how did you come up with that name?

If no, why not?
I'm thinking about it, but I've never named a vehicle before. Not especially into anthropomorphizing, though I may change my mind. Was thinking about doing a vanity plate with my screenname since it's an identity I've had for a number of years, but I'm not sure about spending the additional money.

But it is something I've been thinking about. How about you? Have any names lined up?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
I have an estimated delivery date of 10/13 as well. Not sure I'll be that lucky but it will certainly be less time than I have already waited.

A name? The first time I heard someone seriously talk about naming their car, I thought they were nuts. I have owned my fair share of cars and have not named any of them. That is not to say I have not called them several EXTREMELY creative four-, five- and seven-letter names with a few hyphenated words thrown in for good measure. I don't know right now if I will name it. Haven't even seen it yet.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Guys, I have finaly received my build date. Wk 49. So I am no longer a lost little lamb. Take care all and hope your cars come in soon and perfect condition!
David

Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by david in germany
Guys, I have finaly received my build date. Wk 49. So I am no longer a lost little lamb. Take care all and hope your cars come in soon and perfect condition!
David
Thanks David - and good luck to you! I won't lie and say the time will go quickly , but at least you can join a build week group and pass the time commiserating with others in (or not in) the same boat!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Say, David, before you go...we need to hear about how 'Donkey' got his name! There must be a story there..........

And as for me, I haven't ever really named a car before, either. I did have a Chevy Chevette once that I called 'The Blue Lemon', for what are probably obvious reasons. And we used to call our Jeep Wrangler, 'The Rattletrap'. But as for real, affection-filled names like most Minis (or MINIs) have, no. Our cars now go by the highly creative names of: 'The Subaru', 'The Mountaineer' and 'The Miata'.

BUT...after spending so much time on the configurator, and dreaming about my new MINI, it almost seems like we're expecting a new family member. So, I'd like to give her a name AND spring for the vanity plate (not too $$ in Michigan), but it hasn't been easy. [This is a trend with me - both my kids were about 48 hours old before they were officially named. The birth certificate lady practically had to chase us down the hall with the forms, threatening us with John and Jane Doe, before we could decide.] But, hey - names are important!

Lately, my daughter has been referring to the MINI as 'Little Blue'. That of course reminded me (big Disney fan) of what Crush (sea turtle, 150 years and still young) called Dory in Finding Nemo (add surfer dude voice for full effect). So, we're trying out Little Blu, or Dory, for now. But of course, all bets could be off when we meet her. Or...she could still end up being called 'The MINI'...

wandrur - You've got a perfect name for MINI motoring...spring for the vanity plate if it's available!

Last edited by wurking_girl; 10-13-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Combined posts
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Say, David, before you go...we need to hear about how 'Donkey' got his name! There must be a story there..........
hehe, Your the 1st to ask. Since it will be my daily driver and my commute as of November will be over an hour one way it will be my "work horse" . SInce I have the Grey and white combo, looking at working animals the donkey fits the description color wise as well as a dependable creature.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Davidson
1st Gear
You may have already noticed it in my sig.... but mine will be named Jarvis. I liked Tony Stark's computer/AI thing in Iron Man so much that I just had to use that name!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Davidson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
You didn't get the warp drive and cloaking device???
Those won't be options on the website until the year 2045

Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by david in germany
...as well as a dependable creature.
Hmmm...hate to be the one to tell you this, David, but as a veterinarian I feel obliged... Like certain of their relatives, donkeys also have *just a bit* of a reputation for being pretty darn stubborn! But I'm sure YOUR little Donkey will be one of the cute, friendly, reliable sort and you won't end up calling him 'Mule' instead of Donkey!

Again, fan of animated flicks that I am, I already hear him talking in Eddie Murphy's voice... And you talking back like Shrek...

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group