1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
NICE!!! I had signed up for safety classes and had to cancel them. There is always next year.
There are some weekend courses that still go during the winter when the weather is nice enough. Nothing wrong with being opportunistic like that...::hint, hint:: SO much fun. Hard to get the hang of sometimes, but so worth the effort.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
berto
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the dealer options I am going for;
Full front clear bra
Window Tint
Front & Rear Mud Flaps
Magnetic Stone guards
Rear Bumper protection
Rubber boot mat
Rubber floor mats
Cooper S black license frames
Millennium Tires for Life
Resist all Interior and Exterior protection

bob g

Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine are

JCW Tune Kit
JCW strut brace
JCW 18.5 mm Rear Sway Bar (A Bargin, only $248 installed)
Full nose mask, inc fogs
Full tint
front mats

Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
I dare not look at options...I've become WAY too compulsive about this car already!

Bob - lots of protection on your car, inside and out. Has anyone seen a well-worn MINI? Do they tend to suffer from the slings and arrows of outrageous driving more so than 'less-mini' cars? I've heard the clear bra can be an issue if you have bonnet stripes - wonder which is the lesser evil: stone chips or a leaky protective barrier (e.g., potential for rust/water damage)??

I was thinking of trying to install mud flaps myself, but maybe it's not worth the effort.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Davidson
1st Gear
hmmm.... I'm very tempted to get those magnetic stone guards. Does anyone know if they're worth it? I'd be worried that someone would gank them off the car..

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
berto
3rd Gear
Sequence - I would love to drive a JCW equiped car, that sucker is gonna haul!

Wurking girl - yeah I was worried about the clear bra but this is Colorado and they put down gravel (read rocks) as you know in the winter time. My usual driver MG is getting chips on the front of the bonnet (hood) and it is driving me nuts. My MA said that one of the biggest 'I wishes' he hears from returning customers is from folks saying they wish they had opted for the clear bra. Me being a 'collector' I am planning on keeping this car until I can put collector plates on it (25 years). I have restored 6 cars and on this one I wanted as much 'protection' as I could get. The mud flaps are just an 'indulgement' for me. this is my first 'new' car in over 10 years. the last one I bought was my 1997 4-Runner which I still have as I have been buying MGs and Triumphs for years. I was hoping that MG would return to the states but that does not look like it will happen anytime soon. BMW still owns the rights to the Triumph name but are not doing anything with it. Rumors were that the 1 Series was going to be badged as Triumphs didnt pan out.

Davidson - I will kepp the forum up to date on how those stone guards work out. I have not seen them on a car so I will post pics when it arrives.

Of course I, like everyone else have configured and reconfigured the car so many times I have to look at the order sheet to remind myself of what I ended up with.

jeeze I wish this car would show up!

bob g

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by berto
jeeze I wish this car would show up!
AMEN to that! I just emailed off an inquiry about custom stripes! What foolishness will come into my head next??! Once I'm actually driving, I have hopes that my obsessed 'what if' monologue will finally cease...

Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Davidson
... been surfing through the 125+ page "R56 pictures" thread
Speaking of wasting time, have you stumbled across this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=93485

It's called - things you didn't know about your R56 MINI... VERY LONG, but lots of interesting, little-known stuff about these amazing little cars. I read a few pages at a time (OK, sometimes more than a few...), and I've started my own 'about MINIs' doc where I paste in stuff that I want to remember... Yep, as I said - obsessed and compulsed.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear

the factory messed up the interior, it was supposed to be piano black.

I like the brushed alloy and I got GAP insurance for free because of it ($500 additional savings..), I'm a happy camper.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
sequence
6th Gear
My MA said that one of the biggest 'I wishes' he hears from returning customers is from folks saying they wish they had opted for the clear bra.
Maybe yr MA heard me bitching about how the next time I get a MINI I will clearbra the *entire* nose, including the lower bumper and clip, because of all the road damage my R53s clip took the 4 years i owned it.

And yeah the JCW will make this car wail. The tune kit for automatics was approved only about 6 weeks ago, so I am psyched!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Nice pix T Can U post a couple looking at the entire front seat area?

I hope they dont leave the English Oak trim and wheel out of mine!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Very nice!! Thanks for sharing, and now we need the road test review! Don't worry about making the rest of us feel bad - I for one have been living vicariously thru all the posts on NAM and it just makes the time go faster!

And I think the silver looks fine - nobody will notice with all that great red in there...very sweet...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
berto
3rd Gear
How do you like the seats? That is the same set up I am getting but with the Blue inserts and colorline. I am supposed to get the 'brushed alloy' and the multi function wheel in leather.

we need reviews! we are living vicarously (sp?) through those that have taken delivery.

bob g

Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM
berto
3rd Gear
I just checked the schedule and the Isolde is scheduled to go through the canal Saturday Morning

http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm

bob g

Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM
sequence
6th Gear
fascinating!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 AM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
How do you like the seats? That is the same set up I am getting but with the Blue inserts and colorline. I am supposed to get the 'brushed alloy' and the multi function wheel in leather.

we need reviews! we are living vicarously (sp?) through those that have taken delivery.

bob g
The seats are definitely comfortable! I love the bolsters and I'm a very wide guy (6'1" 270#) and it keeps me from sliding around when taking twisties. Different than my very cushy leather bucket seats on the 300M, but nice.

The ride is great, love taking the ramps with Milo. He's a little sleeper if nothing else.

I'll take some more pictures when I get a chance, it really is alot of fun guys!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
Very nice!! Thanks for sharing, and now we need the road test review! Don't worry about making the rest of us feel bad - I for one have been living vicariously thru all the posts on NAM and it just makes the time go faster!

And I think the silver looks fine - nobody will notice with all that great red in there...very sweet...
Double ditto on the vicarious living and the good looking silver!

I just checked the schedule and the Isolde is scheduled to go through the canal Saturday Morning

http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm

bob g
AAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:45 PM
sequence
6th Gear
yup. canal angst on the rise here....

Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
bobbydazzler
Neutral
Thanks for the photos. I've ordered my MCS with the same interior that you did, ie. piano black. So.. are you going to keep it as is or did you raise a fuss with your MA? I have to admit that I'm kind of torn. The silver DOES look pretty good. It would be a good accent for my dark silver/black.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 PM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bobbydazzler
Thanks for the photos. I've ordered my MCS with the same interior that you did, ie. piano black. So.. are you going to keep it as is or did you raise a fuss with your MA? I have to admit that I'm kind of torn. The silver DOES look pretty good. It would be a good accent for my dark silver/black.
I'm going to keep it as is. My choices were:

A) Leave it as is and take $500 off the car (so I got over $1k off MSRP total)
B) Re-Order

I obviously took option A and was happy due to not having the gloss. I think I would've regretted the piano black due to the secret compartment + finger prints + gloss. So in essence it was a win/win.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
TravisNJ,

Very, very nice. Thanks so much for posting the pics. How's the HiFi stereo?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Travis -
NICE!!!!! I like that interior. They may have screwed up but it looks to be a happy screw-up. Now shut up and drive.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by sequence
yup. canal angst on the rise here....
Funny. I was just talking about Freud in another thread...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
Travis -
NICE!!!!! I like that interior. They may have screwed up but it looks to be a happy screw-up. Now shut up and drive.
Here Here!

OMG Taking the NJ Turnpike this morning was a blast! I put sport mode on and was weaving like a 90 year woman making knitted socks. This car will be the end of meeeeee.

The HIFI sounds great, I don't know why people complain so much. My mom liked it and she has a Bose system in her G35.

My friend at work and I went out this morning with Milo and he was loving how it hugged corners.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 AM
wandrur
Originally Posted by TravisNJ
Here Here!

OMG Taking the NJ Turnpike this morning was a blast! I put sport mode on and was weaving like a 90 year woman making knitted socks. This car will be the end of meeeeee.

The HIFI sounds great, I don't know why people complain so much. My mom liked it and she has a Bose system in her G35.

My friend at work and I went out this morning with Milo and he was loving how it hugged corners.
All great to hear!!

I'm so conflicted, being so excited for you while at the same time feeling so angsty that mine is weeks away from delivery...but I've mentioned that already. More than once.

Happy Friday to all!

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group