1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, Mini is... I think it worked! He got busy and did some 'investigating' (his word) and learned that my MINI is on the truck and should be delivered to him this afternoon or tomorrow. Allowing time for tidying up, he's now talking about a Saturday or Monday pick-up! Yahoo!

I am not *totally* confident in his information, but I'm willing to bask in the joy for a while...

At least a step in the right direction! Hang in there, DBD...I'm sure you're next. And I think I heard there's a nice tailwind blowing thru the Canal and up the western US coast this week...

CAN this be any more anxiety-provoking? Maybe it would have been easier to NOT have any information and just have gone with a tentative delivery date?!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
Okay, Mini is... I think it worked! He got busy and did some 'investigating' (his word) and learned that my MINI is on the truck and should be delivered to him this afternoon or tomorrow. Allowing time for tidying up, he's now talking about a Saturday or Monday pick-up! Yahoo!

I am not *totally* confident in his information, but I'm willing to bask in the joy for a while...

At least a step in the right direction! Hang in there, DBD...I'm sure you're next. And I think I heard there's a nice tailwind blowing thru the Canal and up the western US coast this week...

CAN this be any more anxiety-provoking? Maybe it would have been easier to NOT have any information and just have gone with a tentative delivery date?!
TERRIFIC!!! Did you have to threaten him with a NY Beach or did he cooperate?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
So you think I'll get mine before you? I'm out of state from the 20th-24th for a conference in San Diego, so hopefully it's comfortably before then, though I suppose it wouldn't really matter one way or the other.

::sigh::

I hate waiting.
ROADTRIP!!!! Nice 1000+ mile cruise to San Diego then a calm 1000+ mile jaunt back. Perfect way to break in the new Mini.

Hopefully, you get it a LOT before the 20th.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
ROADTRIP!!!! Nice 1000+ mile cruise to San Diego then a calm 1000+ mile jaunt back. Perfect way to break in the new Mini.

Hopefully, you get it a LOT before the 20th.
That was actually a thought, but I bought my plane ticket quite a while ago. So a roadtrip is out of the question, not having much extra money to toss around. That, and November can get kinda hairy if you're trying to get over the Colorado Rockies...

Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So you think I'll get mine before you? I'm out of state from the 20th-24th for a conference in San Diego, so hopefully it's comfortably before then, though I suppose it wouldn't really matter one way or the other. ::sigh:: I hate waiting.
Who knows? could be same day. all I know is my MA is off on thurs and HATES sat deliveries. My first delivery there was a haphazard mess, on a sat no less, so Im hoping this time everyone has their act together. If Isolde arrives sun, and we dont hung up in VDC, Im penciling 11/10 as the earliest. surprise me. Credit is locked until the 14th, and 11/15 marks the 120th day since ordering Syd and trading in my R53--exactly how long my MA told me back in July.

After 11/15, it will be offically late, and I will get testy. If it's later than this, something mojo bad happened that involved VDC work BTW to all noobs: any VDC work over a certain percentage has to be disclosed to U by yr MA; think it's around minimum 5-7% (squashed roof is about 70%).

Keep those fingers crossed.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:07 PM
lookabkl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Who knows? could be same day. all I know is my MA is off on thurs and HATES sat deliveries. My first delivery there was a haphazard mess, on a sat no less, so Im hoping this time everyone has their act together. If Isolde arrives sun, and we dont hung up in VDC, Im penciling 11/10 as the earliest. surprise me. Credit is locked until the 14th, and 11/15 marks the 120th day since ordering Syd and trading in my R53--exactly how long my MA told me back in July.

After 11/15, it will be offically late, and I will get testy. If it's later than this, something mojo bad happened that involved VDC work BTW to all noobs: any VDC work over a certain percentage has to be disclosed to U by yr MA; think it's around minimum 5-7% (squashed roof is about 70%).

So...how long would be an avg or acceptable amount of time to spend at the VDC assuming nothing bad happens (keeping fingers crossed)

Old 10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
wandrur

Fingers crossed, toes crossed, legs crossed, wires crossed...

Or maybe I'm just cross.

So long as the snow doesn't fall a lot between now and then, I'll be okay. Speaking of, what are you doing for winter driving--snow tires? Chains? Levitation?

Old 10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lookabkl
So...how long would be an avg or acceptable amount of time to spend at the VDC assuming nothing bad happens (keeping fingers crossed)
Check out this thread. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=144057
They are saying about 48 hours if all is well. Mine was about that.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:09 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
TERRIFIC!!! Did you have to threaten him with a NY Beach or did he cooperate?
Nah, no threats yet! I'm saving that in case something goes wrong.....

Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Nah, no threats yet! I'm saving that in case something goes wrong.....
LOL. OK, I'll be standing by.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 AM
wandrur
LOL. OK, I'll be standing by.
As will I.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Davidson
1st Gear
Say hello to Jarvis!

please excuse the iPhone pic... I'll take better ones after I get off cloud 9

Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
sequence
6th Gear

woo hoo go JARVIS! Sweet!! Love the stripes!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Davidson
Say hello to Jarvis!
Hellllooooo Jarvis. SHARP car. Congratulations!!! Pictures later. Drive now.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Speaking of, what are you doing for winter driving--snow tires? Chains? Levitation?
I have a beater 1986 Toy 2wd PU w/270K on the clock I use for wet snowy winter driving and summer camping. That's mostly because I kept Rodney, and will keep Syd when he gets here, off snowy wet winter roads because of the mag chloride de-ice-er toxic fluid (to vehicles, that is.)

here's a little factoid for y'all: I have saved every repair receipt (not inc reg mtce) since I bought the truck NWT in San Diego in 1986: $3,122. For my 2005 MCS the dealer charged back to BMW $7,667 in warranty repairs on a $24,000 car, and only had 27K on it when I traded it in July. I hope they gave the new owner a good warranty....

Moral of the story: If you buy a new car, and it has major problems in the first 30K miles, it is NOT a keeper.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:18 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by Davidson
Say hello to Jarvis!

Jarvis--welcome to the world!

Lookin' good!!!

I have a beater 1986 Toy 2wd PU w/270K on the clock I use for wet snowy winter driving and summer camping. That's mostly because I kept Rodney, and will keep Syd when he gets here, off snowy wet winter roads because of the mag chloride de-ice-er toxic fluid (to vehicles, that is.)
Gotcha. The MINI will be my only four legged beast, so I was wondering. It's coming with all-season tires, so that's a good thing, but I was wondering about driving in the snowier/crappier weather.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Jarvis looks GREAT! Very classy...

We're picking up Dory at 10 AM tomorrow (EDT)...woo hoo! I guess we'll find out how MINIs handle in the rain...

Don't forget to share the drive impressions, too, Davidson!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Jarvis looks GREAT! Very classy...

We're picking up Dory at 10 AM tomorrow (EDT)...woo hoo! I guess we'll find out how MINIs handle in the rain...

Don't forget to share the drive impressions, too, Davidson!
Tomorrow!?! YIPPEE!!! HURRAY!!! Congratulations.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Jarvis looks fast! Slick, very slick.

My pick-up this morning went very well. I will have to post some pics soon.

I am a little surprised at the ride. It feels even better and more luxurious than when I took my test drive. Road and wind noise are very low. Bumps handle well. Feels like a very upscale car to me. In summary, it turned out better than expected.

Thanks to all for your support and posts, and I'll be keeping in touch with this group.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:01 AM
sequence
6th Gear
but I was wondering about driving in the snowier/crappier weather.
because they are FWD they generally do well as long as the snow aint too deep. I know a few Canadians that drive thier MINIs in the winter, but they throw on taller (60-75) and narrower (155-175) pure snow tires like Blizzaks to give more ground cleareance and allow more traction. But then their winters are longer, colder, and more constant than ours. Doubtful there are 70 degree days in Moose Jaw in Dec, unlike here eh?

Just remember to wash yr undercarriage frequently to get the MagChlor off. There are car washes that specialize in this.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Davidson
1st Gear
the ride is exhilarating! I took a coworker for a spin yesterday and he was just giggling the whole time.

I had a fun experience last night when some dude in a honda coup decided he was going to cut me off and zip around to the left lane and cut through the gap between me and the car coming up ahead of us on the left. I can only imagine his expression when I closed that gap up so fast!

driving down to Corpus Christi today, happy weekend all!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:53 AM
berto
3rd Gear
All I can say at this point is 'oh man!!!! I want MINE!!!!!'

bob g

Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by berto
All I can say at this point is 'oh man!!!! I want MINE!!!!!'

bob g
What is the dealer saying?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:32 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by berto
All I can say at this point is 'oh man!!!! I want MINE!!!!!'bob g
yah bob Im interested to see if yr ma has been giving U the same info as mine has.

Jeez the way gas is dropping like a rock here by the time we get out cars P/U will be back to where it was when I bought my first MINI in 04, right around $2

Delivery early Veteran's Day week, that's a good two weeks from port arrival again assuming no VDC hangups and good roads getting here. Im betting my life on it.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Here's a pic. We have decided to call her Silver "Belle", "Belle" for short.

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group