1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
REALLY wish I would have gotten the Xenons.

Glad I didn't get a sunroof (wasn't really considering it, though, so...).

Was just thinking how much I LOVE the interior. And the checked cloth seats are so perfect for the look.

I still desperately want a temperature gauge.

The engine is a lot louder than I would have expected it to be, but I noticed that from about day two.

Hmmm...I'm pretty darned happy with it.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:58 PM
wandrur
Just thought I'd check in. Edging up on 6800 miles myself.

How's everyone doing?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wandrur
Just thought I'd check in. Edging up on 6800 miles myself.
How's everyone doing?
I'm up to 3,900 or so. Mostly city stop-and-go driving. Got my first ding on the driver's door a couple of weeks ago. I was pissed for a while, but I'm getting over it. I may need to go get some touch up paint or something. She's definitely driving as good as new. If I could do it all over again, I would have probably sprung for the auto-air and auto-wipers (rain sensing). Other than that, I love it!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:29 PM
berto
3rd Gear
I just passed the 2000 mile mark. I know it is low but remember I either work from home or at a customer site in some other state and have been in St Louis all year so far. My assignments are changing so I actually have been working from home for a month now. I have also started to get the MG's & Triumph out for the driving season so I am spreading the driving around.

bob g
1966 OEW MGB
1966 OEW MGB-GT
1973 Green Mallard MGB (supercharged)
1976 Inca Yellow TR-6
2009 Laser Blue MINI Cooper S

Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM
wandrur
Glad you're giving some of the other cars a chance, Bob!

Glad to hear all is going well Eoff, though sorry to hear about the ding. That sucks. I still wish I'd have gotten the Xenons...but I'll survive. I think all is well otherwise...I've only been driving the MINI, though, as either the time or the weather is against me when I want to ride my motorcycle. Averaging 31.6 mpg overall with the last tank being nearly 33 (and that's with a lot of 80+ mph driving!!).

Old 04-12-2009, 08:49 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow! the thread lives!!

Approaching 4000 miles, other than the Cold Start Knock once about 1600 miles ago, flawless. This car is so much better built than my 2005* could ever dream of! Getting ready to ditch the rf's and put on the summer performance tires that I had on my 2005, and see how this little beast rocks on the track in the standing 1/4 mile. Sub-14.5 is my goal.

No door dings or nicks, just a few clear coat scratches I'll work on once this weather dries out and warms up.

I do have a occasional rattle somewhere in my headliner slightly forward of the moonroof, but it's no big deal, been like that since day 1, and hasnt gotten worse. No reason to bug the dealer.

Finalist for a peach gov job in Seattle so if I get that Im looking forward to motoring those roads out there, and going to the ocean, and the Olympics, and maybe Vancoover eh...

Glad to hear everyone's doing well!

*There's a certain bit of irony here, because the materials in my 05 were so much more substantial and felt less cheap and more thicker (like the headliner and carpets) than the 09.

Last edited by sequence; 04-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Oh my, your cars are all still so fresh! I am about to hit 9000miles in Donkey!
Love this car!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
9900 miles...31.7 avg mpg...42.3 avg mph.

after a couple of experiments, i definitely get better mpg in sport mode, i assume because there's such a lag in non-sport mode and i typically have to give it too much gas to start out. imho, the sport button should be wired like the dsc button, on by default, the button turns it off...

no problems except the dings, nicks, and pits forming all over the windshield and bonnet...#$%@&#$ wisconsin roads and weather.

still missing my anthracite headliner and chrome scoop. supposedly the mini rep and not the dealer are to blame. yah, ok, uh-huh, you bet. i believe that.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 AM
guyver423
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4300+ miles of awesomeness so far! would like to drive it more, but have a company car for work.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
7 months+ and finally got my scheduled appointment to install the mia anthracite headliner and chrome bonnet scoop. almost took a call to a lawyer, but not quite. just 2 intense weeks of progressive phone calls, voice mails, and emails up the chain at the dealership. went from motoring advisor to sales manager to general manager. ridiculous. horrible dealership, international autos in milwaukee. stay away. go to illinois. never got a response from motoring advisor or sales manager. never got a response from general manager, but within hours of an email, i had my appointment. coincidence? me thinks not.

day 1: drop off at 7:30am, just like i was asked to...the dealer claims they don't know anything about the scoop. then they call me at 2:00pm to tell me they don't have the mounting clips...they already tore out the old headliner, and since the mounting clips are a one time use only, they need to keep the car another night and overnight some parts. no word on scoop.

day 2: mounting clips arrive, but now the dealer discovers the "a" pillars shipped do not have speaker cut-outs, so they can't use them on my car...need to keep another day and overnight some additional parts. still no word on scoop.

day 3: new "a" pillars arrive w/ speaker cut-outs, but now the dealer discovers "other molding pieces" are missing...need to keep another day and overnight some more additional parts. still no word on scoop.

day 4 is tomorrow. i can't wait.

how this place can stay in business is beyond me. worst vendor of any type i have ever had the displeasure to deal with. there should be a special place in hell for dealerships like this.

still love the car. hate the dealer. never again. i'm going to illinois next time. may even start going there for service.

12,650+ miles...32.0 avg mpg...31.8 avg mph.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM
wandrur
Wow, sorry to hear that! Hope they run out of stupid *** excuses and get that thing done for you asap.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
day 4: more trim pieces missing and have to be overnighted. chrome scoop was installed on day 1 though i was told.

some credit to the dealer...they gave me a $250 coupon off any mini accessories i wanted due to all the delays. i had maxed out what i wanted in/on the car on original order pretty much, and i already got the rubber floor mats, so i asked to have them order the uv sunshade (assuming the interior will get warmer now w/ the anthracite headliner, if it ever gets completely installed, that is...) and the protective boot space cover. not bad for $82 out of pocket.

day 5: more excuses, more delays...or do i get my car back? bets?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 PM
wandrur
I'm not much of a bettin' man...but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
well, i have my car back now...but no, it's still not done. still missing the right "a" pillar. seems the dealer has ordered this part twice, and mini has shipped a second left "a" pillar both times. catalogue # and box # match, but part inside, not so much. so i'll retract most of what i said about the dealer, at least the service department. this appears to be largely not their fault. the sales staff still stinks bad.

the rest of the headliner install looks perfect. no new squeaks or rattles either. but that light gray right "a" pillar is bugging me now...

chrome scoop looks good too.

only problem is my wheel arches have some sort of white film all over them now. i don't know what the heck they did at the dealer, but it wasn't like that when i dropped it off.

and it appears i'll be getting both the boot space cover and the uv shade as freebies for my troubles. $342 coupon. not bad. more credit to the dealer's service department.

mid next week hope to have the right "a" pillar installed and pick up my new accessories.

and i just noticed a typo in my post above...i'm averaging 41.8 mph, not 31.8.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 AM
sequence
6th Gear
hit 5K yesterday. Other than the two cold start knocks earlier this year all is flawless looking forward to first BIG road trip next month to Sin City.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
took me the better part of 6 hours saturday to restore the finish as best i could. i don't know what the heck they did to my car, but the finish is damn near ruined.

water spots all over everything that won't come out entirely. i mean, what the heck did they do to it...wax it, leave it out in a big storm, then decide to buff it? wax residue all over everything. all the black trim pieces, including wheel arches, rear wiper bases, roof trim, floorboard trim, front and rear bumper trim. took me a combination of turpentine, goof off, wd40, and lots of scrubbing to get it all off. read a thread here about using peanut oil or creamy peanut butter, but alas, i only had crunchy available...how people can eat creamy when crunchy is available is beyond me, but that's another forum i'm sure.

also found a 1/4-inch gap in the passenger side "b" pillar and headliner.

chrome scoop is gonna melt...cheapo plastic, not metal like the original chili red one that cam with the car.

but despite all the recent trials and tribulations, i'm glad i got it back now.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
sequence
6th Gear
to everyone out there: Klasse All-In-One is the absolutely best acrylic cleaner/polisher out there on the market. You only need to apply it twice a year, goes on/comes off super EZ, and protects yr car like a good Teutonic shield should. It is absolutely essential for bonnet stripes, and will help protect against and eradicate cosmoline, hard water spots, saps, bug shitte, etc etc. I used it on my 05, and use it on my 09--it even brought back a like new shine to my old Toyota PU--with just ONE pass.

Give it a try--it's expensive and only available on-line, but well worth it.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
99.9% complete w/ headliner surgery...still missing airbag cap for passenger side "a" pillar.

and thanks sequence for the tip on klasse...i'll be trying some of that out mucho pronto.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
wandrur
jpp, did you get the last pieces pieced together finally?

Just rolled over 9400 miles (or thereabouts). Went through Rocky Mountain National Park from Granby to Estes Park, and, oh my god...so, so, so beautiful. It actually brought tears to my eyes.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
almost there...passenger side "a" pillar air bag cap now installed. club door pillar air bag cap still mia. dealer sent me 2 caps via usps, 1 fit, 1 not so much. didn't even see the club door pillar cap was missing, but when i opened the envelope, saw 2 caps, had to look around for where the other one went.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wandrur
jpp, did you get the last pieces pieced together finally?
done. this afternoon. finally.

went to the dealer, showed them the cap that wouldn't fit, tech took one look at it and said, yeah, no way, wrong one. this is the one that lights up. the true "b" pillar. apparently another example of the mini catalog having two parts with the same part number, yet not so much being the same part.

so they popped an air bag cap off one of the showroom floor models, snapped it in place, and my car is finally done.

now all i gotta do is take some pix...

Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
wandrur
Oh, great! Congratulations.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
wandrur
Tipped over 10,000 miles on Monday evening.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Coming up on 18k miles at the moment.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
wandrur
I'd be closer to that, but I decided to take my motorcycle on the recent 4100+ mile road trip at the beginning of the month!

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group