1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:20 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
he's not normal
hey...i resemble that remark.

would you believe i ordered my mccs w/o even test driving one? w/o even riding in one? w/o so much as even sitting in one? well, i did, i kid you not. i did stand next to a few, though. that prolly doesn't count, i know, but still...

almost did the same thing w/ my current car (1996 mazda mx-6 ls), but the dealer was pushing a model still on the showroom floor, and i really wanted to order a 1997, and i really didn't want the color of the showroom model, so the dealer let me borrow the showroom model for a weekend to convince me. it worked...not as much as getting $2k mfg rebate off the invoice price, but still...i knew before i ever got in one that the mx-6 was the car i wanted. 12 years and 184k miles later, i'm not sorry one bit.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Well, they sure don't make it easy to test drive... Our 'local' dealership isn't quite open yet, and they only have two new Minis on hand - one Clubman S and one MCS. Neither was a manual (which I wanted), so I had to drive a 2004 manual to see how the car shifted (nice!). And no 'justacoopers' to try, either. I ended up punting and buying a Clubman S manual - didn't want to be disappointed in the power. But my car will be the first with that combo that I will actually drive. Very weird...but I'm sure we'll both be very happy with our choices.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:33 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wurking_girl
Well, they sure don't make it easy to test drive...
similar situation here...dealer was open, but under renovation. no manuals on the lot at all, old or new. they had at least 8 older models on the lot, and maybe 3-4 newer models, and 1 in the showroom. all automatics. i refuse to drive an automatic, and absolutely refuse to own one.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
after all the clutch and flywheel problems and defects I had with my R53 I refuse to buy any BMW product with a manual transmission. One can only take so many defective throwout bearings which, by the way, are plastic, and repeated slave cylinder issues. BMW uses LuK clutches that are not the most dependable items around, and I wont even go into all the issues I (and others) have had with the dual mass flywheels. So if U can take a hard line on the automatics, I can be hard on the manuals--because I speak from experience. By the way, have U driven a MCS with the Aisin steptronic in manual mode? Oh wait I forgot. You refuse to do so. sounds like a sound basis to form an opinion

Last edited by sequence; 09-24-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
I ordered an automatic because A. I have never had the opportunity to learn or drive stick. I also spend a lot of time sitting in traffic on the way home from work, so I wouldn't want to be idling between gears for hours on end.
The steptronic seems really cool tho once the highway opens up! It's like you get the best of both worlds!! I just hope it they are as reliable as they say---I haven't heard of any problems with the steptronics.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
sequence
6th Gear
post duped

Last edited by sequence; 09-24-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by the_edge8
I ordered an automatic because A. I have never had the opportunity to learn or drive stick. I also spend a lot of time sitting in traffic on the way home from work, so I wouldn't want to be idling between gears for hours on end. The steptronic seems really cool tho once the highway opens up! It's like you get the best of both worlds!! I just hope it they are as reliable as they say---I haven't heard of any problems with the steptronics.
Now this is a judgement based on experience One BIG reason I ordered the auto was my degenerative left kneecap that will require surgery soon, and I wanna be able to motor during recovery. Also, before I drove an 08 MCS with the Aisin, I was a die hard stick guy--you'd NEVER find me in some lame slushbox unless it was a rental or a loaner.

But the Aisin is no slushbox. I swear the torque steer is much more manageable and livable than with the manuals. Getting out on the highway, and experiencing the near-instant up/downshifts w/out feeling any torque converter interference, I was sold (you feel it some in the lower 2 gears, but not the top 4). And the paddles: it is an exhilirating experience not having to take yr hands off the wheel to shift--and to be able to shift while cornering with both hands on the wheel. Except for VW/Audi and their DSG setup, there's nothing like it, sooo F1. This is one reason why auto MCS's generally run faster times in stock Auto-X than the manuals....

And now they have the JCW Stage I tune kit for the MCSa? Am I in motoring heaven or what??

Finally, if this car is a keeper, and I decide to get an X warranty, at least the entire drivetrain will be covered. Ive not found a Mini X warranty yet that will cover clutches, for they are considered a wear item. A clutch replacement for these cars, new dual mass flywheel included, runs nearly $3K large. 'nuff said.

PS the Aisin has an outstanding reliability track record.

Last edited by sequence; 09-24-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM
the_edge8
2nd Gear
hhaha, well that post only makes me happier!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:53 PM
jpp_zoso
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
By the way, have U driven a MCS with the Aisin steptronic in manual mode? Oh wait I forgot. You refuse to do so. sounds like a sound basis to form an opinion
no, i haven't. haven't driven a mini at all yet, in fact. nor ridden in one. nor even sat in one.

my opinion of automatics was formed way before i ever got interested in a mini. i just plain don't like 'em. i don't care how many things they try to do to make them seem like a manual, because there's all sorts of pseudo-manual versions out there now, they just plain ain't as fun to drive as a manual. i'd rather have the real thing. no fakers allowed.

and i'm not worried about burning out my clutch too soon. i've got ~185k on my current car, and it's still the original clutch.

odd thing is, all the research i did before ordering my mini indicated most of the transmission problems people are seeing w/ newer cars (2002+), mini's, bmw's, and others, are primarily the cvt automatics. read a few reports of burned out clutches way too early...some still in the original warranty period...but by and large, the problems were cvt's...w/ repair costs in the $5-7k range. so yeah, $3k is a lot of money for a repair, but $5-7k is double the pain.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jpp_zoso
no, i haven't. haven't driven a mini at all yet, in fact. nor ridden in one. nor even sat in one.

my opinion of automatics was formed way before i ever got interested in a mini. i just plain don't like 'em. i don't care how many things they try to do to make them seem like a manual, because there's all sorts of pseudo-manual versions out there now, they just plain ain't as fun to drive as a manual. i'd rather have the real thing. no fakers allowed.

and i'm not worried about burning out my clutch too soon. i've got ~185k on my current car, and it's still the original clutch.

odd thing is, all the research i did before ordering my mini indicated most of the transmission problems people are seeing w/ newer cars (2002+), mini's, bmw's, and others, are primarily the cvt automatics. read a few reports of burned out clutches way too early...some still in the original warranty period...but by and large, the problems were cvt's...w/ repair costs in the $5-7k range. so yeah, $3k is a lot of money for a repair, but $5-7k is double the pain.
Yeah, and AISIN isn't CVT, so take a step back and figure out what you're spewing.

They replaced the crap CVT with the 6pd Aisin AT which is undeniably more reliable. I don't think I've read a real problem on it yet.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 AM
sequence
6th Gear
the only documented issue I know of that is Aisin related is when the MCSa first came out in 2006 there were software glitches, but that's it. They are very dependable, and that's what I seek in my new S after the misery of my old S--basic drivetrain dependability.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
Talked with Ask-MINI this morning and my baby is done! He's being sent down to the port and will probably catch the Fedora on October 1st to NYPOA.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 AM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TravisNJ
Talked with Ask-MINI this morning and my baby is done! He's being sent down to the port and will probably catch the Fedora on October 1st to NYPOA.
Awesome, congrats!!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Mini is as Mini does
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TravisNJ
OUTSTANDING!!! My baby is in the paint shop; almost through the birth canal. I think I may be having sympathetic labor pains.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:40 AM
wandrur
Originally Posted by Mini is as Mini does
OUTSTANDING!!! My baby is in the paint shop; almost through the birth canal. I think I may be having sympathetic labor pains.

I'm restraining from calling MINI. My baby's in assembly, and that's good enough information for me.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Why be restrained?! Calling is so much fun! In fact, I just did, and mine also is done, got through final checks yesterday, and will be heading off to the port soon!

TravisNJ, did ASK MINI actually tell you you were on the way to the ship, or was that your interpretation? The guy I spoke with, although very nice, said he couldn't tell me anything after the production step. He suggested I call the dealer. Will they actually know when and which ship he'll be on?

Woo hoo...! Not that all this great discussion, including potential problems with my manual transmission (!) and huge repair bills ahead, hasn't been fun, but I just can't wait to be out of the waiting stage and on to the driving stage... And I'm sure that's something all of us Week 39ers can agree on!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
wandrur
Why be restrained?! Calling is so much fun! In fact, I just did, and mine also is done, got through final checks yesterday, and will be heading off to the port soon!

TravisNJ, did ASK MINI actually tell you you were on the way to the ship, or was that your interpretation? The guy I spoke with, although very nice, said he couldn't tell me anything after the production step. He suggested I call the dealer. Will they actually know when and which ship he'll be on?

Woo hoo...! Not that all this great discussion, including potential problems with my manual transmission (!) and huge repair bills ahead, hasn't been fun, but I just can't wait to be out of the waiting stage and on to the driving stage... And I'm sure that's something all of us Week 39ers can agree on!
Why restrain? Cuz I've got enough on my mind right now!!

Congrats on getting completed! And I agree--getting out of the waiting stage and into the driving stage will be wondrous!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Yep, you're probably very wise... For some reason, this car is obsessing me. Minis seem to have some sort of mystical power... The sooner it arrives, the better!

I'm sure yours is moving thru the process just as quickly as mine, wandrur...probably about to get on the same boat...but you're getting more done in the meanwhile!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
TravisNJ
2nd Gear
The gentleman I spoke with told me explicitly that he saw on my page that my MINI had completed production and is leaving for the port of Exit.

They won't know what ship you go on.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:08 PM
sequence
6th Gear
mine should be completed and on its way out, so I'll call monday to follow up. I think there are two boats leaving SH early next week, one for the near E and another for the far W.

And MAN some folks from the first 2 build weeks are totally freaking out that their 2009 MCS and MCCS's s are being held up at the VDCs for EPA certs (this is normal for the first builds of a new MY.) One guy is even trying (with futility) to register a complaint with BMW management (like that'll help.) Hopefully this will get resolved soon because VDC is THE biggest roadblock in getting our cars. After that, we're in like Flint.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Looks like I'm coming over from the Week 40 group. I called today and they told me my MINI started production yesterday (9/24) (yahoo) and should be completed 10/01. Though I likely won't be playing shuffleboard with any of you guys, sigh, as I'll miss the 9/29 boat and the next one to Port Hueneme looks to be 10/13. Well, it will be nice hangin' with ya until you leave me at the dock.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 PM
wandrur
Originally Posted by Coopdy
Looks like I'm coming over from the Week 40 group. I called today and they told me my MINI started production yesterday (9/24) (yahoo) and should be completed 10/01. Though I likely won't be playing shuffleboard with any of you guys, sigh, as I'll miss the 9/29 boat and the next one to Port Hueneme looks to be 10/13. Well, it will be nice hangin' with ya until you leave me at the dock.
Welcome!! We're all friends here. And hopefully we won't leave anyone behind at the dock.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:35 PM
sequence
6th Gear
sometimes I think this tracking stuff creates more angst and frustration than the wait itself. I just hope my car doesnt sit at SH for 2 weeks waiting for a boat like last time.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:40 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopdy
and the next one to Port Hueneme looks to be 10/13.
Welcome, and keep positive: I believe that some boats that go to Charleston carry PH cars, at least it used to be like this, so maybe U wont have to wait that long. And it looks like boats are sailing now every 6-9 days, at least that's a rough calculation.

Hey my buddy in Port Angeles waited 32 months for his MCS back in 2004!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
I am ordering my JCW Monday...they told me 6-8 weeks..does this sound true???? or BS....

Quick Reply: Week 39 (9/21/08-9/27/08) Support Gripe er Group