1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard the Don Quijote Leaving 9/19

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
QkSilvr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Don Quijote is under way, my friends!!! Congrats to those week 37-ers who made it aboard!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:48 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
She left port 3 hours late. Certainly not a German vessel.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
It looks like Lola did not make it onto the DQ. I am sad beyond belief. I have no clue what happened but my booking munber got an A put at the end of it, the WW site says I am now booked on Boheme, which is not actually scheduled to sail at all, and my detail syas "returned to shipper" which is making me queasy. Anyone else have this happen?? Crackpipe is no help.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Gizmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by napria
Bianca's got her party dress on and a Fizzy Frog (Limeade, club soda and vodka), and she's ready to party as we get underway!
Ha! A party girl! Bet she is leading all of the other mini's in a conga line around the deck.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:06 PM
msport
2nd Gear
She is now steaming out of the English channel at 19.1 knots, not quite full speed ahead but close! Once she exits the channel she will pick up some more speed. I know the AIS info in my screen capture says 'moored' but that is just a mistake on their part.

Attached Thumbnails All Aboard the Don Quijote Leaving 9/19-capture.jpg  
Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jumboshrimp
It looks like Lola did not make it onto the DQ. I am sad beyond belief. I have no clue what happened but my booking munber got an A put at the end of it, the WW site says I am now booked on Boheme, which is not actually scheduled to sail at all, and my detail syas "returned to shipper" which is making me queasy. Anyone else have this happen?? Crackpipe is no help.
Jumboshrimp,

I found some info that might help explain what's happened with your car. I'm quoting this directly from http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_delivery

"In a simplified form, this is the distribution chain for cars going to the mainland USA:

Assembled in MINI factory in Oxford, UK
Shipped by auto transporter truck to the port of Southampton, UK
Placed aboard a ship
Ocean transit
Removed from ship at VPC
VPC inspects and QCs cars
VPC releases to enclosed truck for delivery to dealer
Dealer prepares and delivers car to new owner

If the timing and logistics are just right, a MINI will sail through this process relatively quickly. However, if any one part is just a little off, a series of delays may begin. This may start with the MINI spending a week or more waiting at the factory grounds in Oxford before being shipped by train to the docks in Southampton. Once at the docks, a MINI may quickly get aboard a ship, or it may play the waiting game, being scheduled to board a ship, only to be pulled off and stuck waiting for the next available ship. This is because some of the MINIs are 'waitlisted' by the shipping company, and may be bumped only to go back to 'waitlisted' status, trying for space available on the next ship."

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 PM
napria
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gizmom
Ha! A party girl! Bet she is leading all of the other mini's in a conga line around the deck.
You betcha!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 PM
napria
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by msport
She is now steaming out of the English channel at 19.1 knots, not quite full speed ahead but close! Once she exits the channel she will pick up some more speed. I know the AIS info in my screen capture says 'moored' but that is just a mistake on their part.

Thanks for the update! Someone (on another thread) said something about tracking the ship their MINI was on all across the Atlantic. Have you found something like that?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:06 PM
msport
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by napria
Thanks for the update! Someone (on another thread) said something about tracking the ship their MINI was on all across the Atlantic. Have you found something like that?
Napria, I wish it was easier once she is in the Atlantic, but there will be a few days that she will out of range for most public services like AIS live etc. Once the vessel nears Halifax, Canada we can start tracking her constantly in real-time again. The shipping line Wallenius will know her exact position at all times, but we will have to speculate and be patient for her to re-appear in a few days near the north american east coast. Looks like Bianca, Scarlett, Bronwyn,etc are all having a great time tonight on the water!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:34 AM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
More on the weirdness with my car....

My MA is now trying to figure out what is happening to my car since the WW shipping site is saying that my VIN was delivered back in Feb of 2008....that would be amazing wsince the Clubman wasn't even being produced yet.....so on Monday when he can get in touch with the factory, he will try to figure it out. We are thinking that they had input the VIN wrong into the system and nobody caught it until it was loaded onto the ship. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the actual car is on the Don Quijote and that the info was updated somehow in the system and all will be right with the world. Has anyone ever heard of them issuing a bad VIN??

Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 AM
mike and his mini
3rd Gear
Woot,I'm on the Don Q also. Looks like mine will be dropped on October 3rd in Georgia.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Normally you can track the ship's reported position via:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/

The call sign is SFQP

But Captain Stubing seems a bit distracted by the goings-on aboard the "Love Boat". He hasn't radioed-in his position since 9/7.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Bruce/Fl
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
But Captain Stubing seems a bit distracted by the goings-on aboard the "Love Boat". He hasn't radioed-in his position since 9/7.
I bet it's Isaac's fault.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 AM
BobT
1st Gear
My Mini just made it before they pulled up the gangplank!!

I just found out he is on the Don Q with all the other 37ers.

No name yet for the him. What do you think about "Scooper" or "Pooper"?

It is great knowing he is on the way to Brunswick with lots of friends. He loves parties, and is great at mingling.

Last edited by BobT; 09-21-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: grammar error
Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM
napria
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BobT
My Mini just made it before they pulled up the gangplank!!

I just found out he is on the Don Q with all the other 37ers.

No name yet for the him. What do you think about "Scooper" or "Pooper"?

It is great knowing he is on the way to Brunswick with lots of friends. He loves parties, and is great at mingling.
Why "Pooper?" Is he a party pooper? Bianca will take care of that! She's mixing drinks and handing them out to all the wall flowers. She's also got her iPod hooked up to a kicking sound system and playing party tunes!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Red_Fred
2nd Gear
Napria, thank Bianca for that nice single malt Scotch - just the thing to help take the edge off of Fred as he waits to get to the states.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM
msport
2nd Gear
We are getting so much closer by the minute! Port of Halifax, Canada shows Don Quijote expcted at 10:45 pm Thursday night then on to other east coast ports day after day before ending in Brunswick, GA on 10/3. We would be able to track her very soon once she comes into range

Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
BobT
1st Gear
Napria, et al-

Your comments about "Pooper were well taken. That name is out!

I liked 'Scooper" because it rings of S Cooper?

But, finally, in a flash of brilliance (or inebriation?), decided to name him "LAPHROAIG"- pronounced La-frog after my favorite single malt scotch

Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Red_Fred
2nd Gear
BobT,

Now that's a name I can identify with! Hope the sailing's smooth on the Don Q for us all!

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM
napria
2nd Gear
BobT, Bianca approves of that name! She enjoys a single malt now and again herself. But only if she's not driving

msport, thanks for the updates! How did you find out when Halifax is expecting the Don Q?

Red Fred, Bianca says it's her pleasure!

Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM
BobT
1st Gear
Ok Napria.

Sure agree with you about the ETOH and driving. One of the things I like about Laphroaig,is he takes a long time to sip a wee dram of the Scottish nectar, and knows not to overdo it.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
msport
2nd Gear
Guys,

Has anyone's status in the owners lounge NOT changed to 'en route'? I am still showing as waiting for transport even though the WW site shows the car as loaded. Let me know!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Gizmom
1st Gear
Owner's lounge still shows me waiting for transport. ASK-MINI says I'm at the port, waiting for a ship. But the WW site shows that the car was loaded on the Don Quijote last Friday.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
msport
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gizmom
Owner's lounge still shows me waiting for transport. ASK-MINI says I'm at the port, waiting for a ship. But the WW site shows that the car was loaded on the Don Quijote last Friday.
Thanks Gizmom. I really hope and frankly believe that the WW site is correct for many reasons, especially since their information is far more accurate then MINI itelf. I just wanted to know from you guys if you are having the same issue.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Gizmom
1st Gear
Originally Posted by msport
I really hope and frankly believe that the WW site is correct for many reasons, especially since their information is far more accurate then MINI itelf.
Looks like there is sometimes a delay in getting the status line updated. ASK-MINI was changed this morning and now says that I'm "in transit".

Quick Reply: All Aboard the Don Quijote Leaving 9/19