1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feels Like Coming Home

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 AM
HorseGuy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feels Like Coming Home

Hello Everyone. First-time poster here.
After many years of relatively unsatisfying car decisions, I find myself eagerly waiting for my little yellow friend. Ordered 8/14, no prod date yet, but anticipated delivery first wk of Nov here in upstate NY. Trying to figure out if forgetting about it, or obsessively tracking is the way to go. Who am I kidding; I know the answer.
BTW - this site is really excellent. I have already learned much. "The force is strong with this one."
MY/BLK Cooper, premium, cold, HiFi, sport seats, cloth, MF wheel, fog f+r, sport stripes.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Casey61
1st Gear
Welcome to the madness! Checking the NAM forums for news from your fellow expectant mini parents becomes quite an addiction, along with calling 1 866 crack pipe for updates on your production status. Do you have a week of production week yet?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 AM
HorseGuy
Neutral
Thanks for the welcome. I've been "on order" for awhile with a production number, but no production week. I suspect that will be the point where one really needs to exhibit patience, or risk becoming a patient.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Casey61
1st Gear
Have you called Ask Mini and spoken with a live human? The Owner's Lounge is frequently not up to date. I placed my order on 8/20, completed production on 9/8 and "Otis" is sitting in Southampton waiting for a ship. I am mentioning this not to be cruel but in hoping that you have a pleasant surprise waiting for you.

Last edited by Casey61; 09-14-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:25 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the MINIverse!

Try reading all the way through this thread for ideas to "help pass the time." It doesn't work, but at least you'll have an obsession support group!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=143236

Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM
bhelton
4th Gear
Welcome aboard HorseGuy. Your build sounds beautiful!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 AM
TLPD120
1st Gear
Welcome

There is no denying it. You are already caught in the tractor beam and are being drawn into the Death Star (aka NAM and OL message boards).

The folks here are great and very very helpful. Definitely don't trust the OL for your status like stated above.

Call 1-866-ASK-MINI and talk with a human. They will have more information up until you are awaiting transport to the states. They are very familiar with expectant MINI parents that call every day. When the people here refer to the ASK-MINI line as "Crack-Pipe," they aren't kidding. It becomes addicting following the progress of your bundle of joy. Also, you can watch a time elapsed video of a MINI Cooper being made on the OL that is kind of cool to see, especially if you one ordered a red MC with a white top (to imagine its yours).

From NY too. Considered up state to the geographically challenged NYC and LI people but really lower Hudson Valley.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Congrats on your order. Hope time flies by till your MINI berths. In the meantime, kill the time and have some fun on the obsessive waiting threads.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
bluemeanie357
4th Gear
Congrats! I found the automated line at ASK MINI to be the best updated. I ordered mine on 8/5 and it's on the boat, so yours should be in production soon!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
HorseGuy
Neutral
Per your kind advice, I just spoke with the folks at AskMini. To my surprise, I'm scheduled for week 39!!! Thanks everyone. I'm off to learn more than I ever thought I would know about international ocean transport.
BTW - because I'm basically curious/nosey, I asked the gentleman at AskMini about how many calls they get a day. They had almost 900 with an hour to go and a staff of 50-60. There are customer service lessons to be learned here.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 PM
wgrzanic
2nd Gear
Congrats on your soon-to-be new car! Honestly, I think the wait for these things is far too long...about a month and a half into my wait, I stopped thinking about it, and even started almost regretting my decision to order one.

And then I got the call that my car was at the dealer, and then I picked it up, and it is awesome. My original plan was to try a different car in several years, but now, I'm not so sure. I just might be a MINIac for life...!

Here's to hoping your wait goes by in the blink of an eye!

-Will

Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HorseGuy
BTW - because I'm basically curious/nosey, I asked the gentleman at AskMini about how many calls they get a day. They had almost 900 with an hour to go and a staff of 50-60. There are customer service lessons to be learned here.
You know it's funny, I've called them and talked to a person three times and every time I've gotten a guy. For a customer service job, that seems unusual. They must really love their job. Everybody I've talked to is genuinely happy to help.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bhelton
You know it's funny, I've called them and talked to a person three times and every time I've gotten a guy. For a customer service job, that seems unusual. They must really love their job. Everybody I've talked to is genuinely happy to help.
Nah, they probably just installed one of those nifty Starbucks esspresso makers in the break room, and keep it well stocked! OR, they installed a Starbucks cafe entirely!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 AM
bhelton
4th Gear
Well, whatever keeps them being nice and not yelling at me for calling every day.

BTW, I like you're little avatar too...are you a Hokie too?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:24 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bhelton
Well, whatever keeps them being nice and not yelling at me for calling every day.

BTW, I like you're little avatar too...are you a Hokie too?
I'm a transplant, and maintain no such affiliations. Mostly through laziness. Although the term "gypsy" is probably more applicable. Nope, I just found a t-shirt that has the hokey pokey saying on it, and got an email w/ the graphic at the same time...it's SO appropriate sometimes, I just had to have it as an avatar.

I wonder how much they pay those guys? Hey, HorseGuy...next time you're on the phone with them and being "nosey" (which is perfectly OK by me!), ask!! It might not be the super coffee injections...MINI might just pay them beaucoup bucks to be nice constantly!!