1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All aboard Medea Depart Southhampton 9/21

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desertmini21
Wow, I have met my match. I decided to lock-in at 4.75, they said the check should arrive in a few days. Let's see what the rates do tomorrow (10/1).

On a side note, I decided to go by the dealership and bug my MA. He let me test drive one of the vehicles that were available; I thought this would help me out during the few week wait. So I drove a Clubman S automatic. It was a lot more fun playing with the paddle shifters than I thought could imagine. I asked the MA if MINI had fixed the hood scoop issue in the 2009s. He said that he had not seen any cars come in with this issue. I proceeded to show him the melted scoop on the Clubman just drove. After going into another room with other MAs he said that MINI would replace any hood scoop issues. I am not trying to bring anyone down, just thought I would let you know about my experience today.
I do not think you have meet your match, HTClubman and I are not at the dealer test driving. It might have been easier to do this if the dealer we purchased from was not over 300 miles away. This wait seems like it has been so long. So were you able to lock in the rate at PenFed, they told me it was not set until the date of the deposit.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
I thought the rate was locked when the money was disbursed. I'll call PenFed.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM
OceanMini
1st Gear
Panama Canal Traffic Report

I haven't checked the Panama Canal Traffic Report in many days, figuring that our MEDEA wouldn't be on the list of ships going through the Canal until just before Oct 3.
http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm

Today, I checked and found our dear MEDEA will likely begin moving throught the Canal on Oct 4 at 0600 hours Panama Time. It seems that Panama Time is like Central Time, two hours ahead of PDT. (MEDEA is ahead of the emergency Gatun locks closure, which will reduce the number of ships' passages through the canal for approx. two days, Oct 8-10 -- whew!)

For anyone in CA who may be up at 4am on Oct 4, check the Panama Canal webcam. That appears to be the best time to catch our big green Wallenius Wilhelmsen ship passing through the locks. I don't think you'll be able to see any Minis, since they're all below deck. Also, I don't know how long it takes for big cargo ships to pass through the locks. Any info on this? Here's the webcam (several different viewpoints on the canal are available):
http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

The ship looks like this:
http://www.scheepvaartwest.be/pagina121.html

Good luck!

Sandy
2009 MCCS, SS/BK, premium, and other stuff

Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Thanks for the info/update OceanMini!! How exciting! May set an alarm to watch this spectacular event early Saturday morning!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HTClubman
Thanks for the info/update OceanMini!! How exciting! May set an alarm to watch this spectacular event early Saturday morning!
It will be as exciting as watching paint dry, but seriously I would assume that MEDEA is not going to be in Manazillo on 4th instead of the 3rd. I will be happier once MEDEA is in the Pacific.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rasputinj
It will be as exciting as watching paint dry, but seriously I would assume that MEDEA is not going to be in Manazillo on 4th instead of the 3rd. I will be happier once MEDEA is in the Pacific.

What?? So you think it will be there on the 3rd or 4th? Which day?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Oh...and maybe some people LIKE watching paint dry. or the comfort of knowing our little PW will be in the beautiful Pacific Ocean on his way home to us

Old 10-02-2008, 01:14 PM
OceanMini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OceanMini
For anyone in CA who may be up at 4am on Oct 4, check the Panama Canal webcam.
Okay, MEDEA pals ...

I think we're going to have to keep an eye on the Canal traffic report. I made an early prediction that 4am on Oct 4 would be the time of transit, but that is optimistic.

It appears that the ARRIVAL date of the MEDEA at the Canal entrance has been moved up to Oct 3 at 1800 Panama Time (1600 Pacific Time). Also, since the ship has not "booked" a timeslot, its passage through the canal is not definite.

I think the TRANSIT column of the traffic report defines the date of passage. If that's true, then the MEDEA is tentatively scheduled for passage on Oct 6.

Again, this is all speculative! If anyone has more specific info, please post.

Thanks,

Sandy

Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
I think the TRANSIT column of the traffic report defines the date of passage. If that's true, then the MEDEA is tentatively scheduled for passage on Oct 6.

....I hope it's not the 6th...keep your fingers crossed that it's earlier than that!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
OceanMini
1st Gear
Well, the MEDEA has disappeared from the Panama Canal booking page on that website I first gave you. But you can now find it on the "Enhanced Vessel Traffic Management System." I checked the updated report today.
http://www.pancanal.com/evtms-rpts/agents/SY5700RP.pdf

Page 9 of the report says the MEDEA will be going through the first lock on Oct 4 at 0500 (3:00am Pacific Time) and will depart the last lock on Oct 4 at 2020 (6:20pm Pacific Time).

I'll check in regularly to see if it shows up, but I probably won't be up all night. If anyone sees it, try to get a screen capture and note the time! Thanks.

Sandy

Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
OceanMini - MANY thanks for the update!!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Well, the MEDEA has disappeared from the Panama Canal booking page on that website I first gave you. But you can now find it on the "Enhanced Vessel Traffic Management System." I checked the updated report today.
http://www.pancanal.com/evtms-rpts/agents/SY5700RP.pdf

Page 9 of the report says the MEDEA will be going through the first lock on Oct 4 at 0500 (3:00am Pacific Time) and will depart the last lock on Oct 4 at 2020 (6:20pm Pacific Time).

I'll check in regularly to see if it shows up, but I probably won't be up all night. If anyone sees it, try to get a screen capture and note the time! Thanks.

Sandy
I would figure that MEDEA will not hit Manazillo a day late on the 5th instead of the 4th. I hope it does not delay it getting to Port Hueneme on the 12th.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Received PenFed Check

Originally Posted by rasputinj
I do not think you have meet your match, HTClubman and I are not at the dealer test driving. It might have been easier to do this if the dealer we purchased from was not over 300 miles away. This wait seems like it has been so long. So were you able to lock in the rate at PenFed, they told me it was not set until the date of the deposit.
I received the check from PenFed today with my terms and conditions, so the loan is locked-in at 4.75%. Having the check in hand will make it that much easier when the MCS arrives.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
OceanMini
1st Gear
No, I wasn't up at 3am. Panama Canal Cam is up on my screen and I'll peek at it throughout the day. Just for fun, here's a profile map of the Canal so you can see the locations of the locks.

Sandy

Old 10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Ours MINIs are California Bound

No, I wasn't up at 3am. Panama Canal Cam is up on my screen and I'll peek at it throughout the day. Just for fun, here's a profile map of the Canal so you can see the locations of the locks.

Sandy
According to the schedule that is on Wallenius Wilhelmsen's web site, the Medea has left the Panama Canal.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Medea's Schedule

Here's a screenshot of our schedule. The items in red denote departed ports.

Attached Thumbnails All aboard Medea Depart Southhampton 9/21-medea-s-schedule.jpg  
Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by desertmini21
I received the check from PenFed today with my terms and conditions, so the loan is locked-in at 4.75%. Having the check in hand will make it that much easier when the MCS arrives.
I will call them on Monday and get the check sent. I should have done it when it was 4.5%. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:27 PM
OceanMini
1st Gear
It appears we have conflicting web info (no surprise). The Enhanced Vessel Tracking Management System says it will exit the last lock at 2020 hours (6:20pm PDT) on Oct 4. I'll keep an eye on it, just in case. Thanks for the info, desermini!

Sandy

Old 10-04-2008, 05:39 PM
OceanMini
1st Gear
It's going through right now! 5:38pm Miraflores
http://webcams.pancanal.com/common/p...iraflores.html

Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 PM
OceanMini
1st Gear
It's stopped in the Miraflores Lock right now at 5:48pm. I'm snapping photos. Hope to get some up shortly. Still watching!

Sandy

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM
OceanMini
1st Gear
Here are the pics of MEDEA at the Miraflores Locks in the Panama Canal. You can actually see the ship's name on the bow. I watched from about 5:38pm until just after 6:00pm when the MEDEA went out of camera range. Now it's on the Pacific side -- go MEDEA!

Sandy

Old 10-04-2008, 07:19 PM
SirParlan
2nd Gear
Awesome pics, Sandy! My excitement and anticipation just went up a few more notches!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:18 PM
siggiS
2nd Gear
Great pictures Sandy! I started watching about 6:00am on and off and of cause when she finally goes through the locks, I am not here to see it. Thanks so much for posting the pic's. This makes waiting a little bit sweeter.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 AM
rebeccajeanstewart
Neutral
These are great pics. Thanks for watching and sharing. I am on vacation and the time difference here made it impossible for me to catch a glimpse. Thanks to everyone who is tracking so diligently for those of us who can't. It is getting closer and closer to the day when we are all motoring down the highway in the coolest car around.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:49 AM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Thank you for the update Sandy. I can only hope I will be driving my MINI in 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply: All aboard Medea Depart Southhampton 9/21