1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Sparkling silver with black or Chili Red with white or blacK????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 PM
minidooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Sparkling silver with black or Chili Red with white or blacK????

Hi all,

I have ordered my very first MCS in Sparkling silver with black roof/strips and chrom mirrors. I loved the color for its uniqness as I haven't seen many of it in my area. However, too worried that its too dull and not as cheerful as i would like my first mini to be. In the mean time, red has been always my favourit color and I do love the chili red a lot, however, was too worried to the fact there are too many MC in chili red in my area and that will take away from how unique my mini is:(

My car is in first week of production now and I am hoping with your help that I could make one last second color change. Any help would be really appreciate it.

k.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
be unique. go with the sparkling silver with black roof/stripes and crhome mirros. like you said not many, hardly any, have that color for their MCS. so i say go with that. i see too many variations of red mini's anyway. time for something DIFFERENT.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:57 PM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minidooper
Hi all,

I have ordered my very first MCS in Sparkling silver with black roof/strips and chrom mirrors. I loved the color for its uniqness as I haven't seen many of it in my area. However, too worried that its too dull and not as cheerful as i would like my first mini to be. In the mean time, red has been always my favourit color and I do love the chili red a lot, however, was too worried to the fact there are too many MC in chili red in my area and that will take away from how unique my mini is:(

My car is in first week of production now and I am hoping with your help that I could make one last second color change. Any help would be really appreciate it.

k.
Sounds like a nice color combination. Unique.
Me, I'm a Red Mini lover. But that's just me.....

Old 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Cally95
2nd Gear
When people ask for color combo opinions some people here will say "only you can decide what you like the most", that's what makes a mini so unique to you. I would recommend doing a picture search and look at some and compare the 2. I wanted brightly colored and a little unique, so I ordered the CR w/CR roof and black sport stripes on the bonnet, roof and boot (not bonnet stripes) due in any day now. But ur color combo sounds good too!!

Dell

Last edited by Cally95; 09-21-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
Lightning Blue

Old 09-21-2008, 06:17 PM
jackbenimble4
1st Gear
I don't know what to tell you. I ordered a "justacooper" in Sparkling Silver with black roof & mirrors. I'm in love with the color combo after looking at photos. I can't imagine my baby in any other color.

The sparkling silver might not be vibrant, but it still has a lot of character. To me, it feels classy and sophisticated. I would stick with the setup you have now, but that's my preference. If you like a particular color better, I'd go with it regardless of how many are in your area.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
n3mpr
2nd Gear
Stay with the spakilng silver. You have picked out a special car and you will love it.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Jagman
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I struggled with the same choices. I really like the sparkling silver with black (and still do) but in the end I went with the Chilli red and black. I am looking at a delivery date of late October for my 09 MCS. I see more s/silver/black cars that the red/black combo. To me the red adds a bit more energy to the Mini look but it is certainly a personal choice.

John D.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM
tancred
4th Gear
I went through the same debate as Jagman when ordering my Clubman, and ended up going CR/B. SS/B is very classy, and CR/W or CR/B is very feisty (and still classy). I've always had the standard blue and hunter green cars (you know, the colors adults are "supposed to have"), and I decided to shake things up with CR/B.

My advice is to look through the SS and CR threads and study the pictures of the MINIs in different settings and lighting. Metallic paints in particular seem to to change color dramatically according to the light. Some will tell you that SS can get a bit greenish under overcast skies. In fact, when I was getting my fix by looking at the just-delivered MINIs at my dealer on a dreary day last week, I had to ask my MA whether one was an SS. He said it was "the khaki-colored one". Don't beat me up, SS fans, but at that moment I was glad I went CR/B.

And this will sound really corny, but talk to people about your uncertainty. Everyone I consulted remarked that I was clearly impressed by the look of the SS, but that I got really animated when talking about CRs, and got a real twinkle in the eye, and a stupid grin, looking at pictures of CR/Bs. Forget how many others have this color or that, your MINI will still be unique after you configure it. Go with whatever combo your heart tells you is meant for you.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
sparkling silver gives off a "whoaaa/wooowww" look to it. like people will turn their heads and be all "duude look at that mini cooper." i mean im not saying that people wont do that to a CR but ive seena lot of differents types of reds so seeing a differnet variation of silver makes me pause and turn my head and go completely blank for a few moments.

and of course, i have a pure silver so anything silver in color will get my utmost attention. lol.

but yeah dude its really all up to you. we can only give you so many suggestions. in the end, it comes down to waht YOU like best for yourself.

think about looking at an image of yourself driving the car in btoh colors. whichever catches keeps you in a daze is the color you should get.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
tancred
4th Gear
Not to muddy the waters for minidooper, but, jbkoopa, there was a PS/B MCS in that group I saw last week, and it was a knockout -- I liked it much more than the SS. The configurator does not do PS justice.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I was going with Lazer Blue w/ black roof or Dark Silver w/ black roof. When I got to placing the actual order it ended up being C.R w/black roof. It just felt right when I ordered the C.R. and LOVE IT. Don't dwell on it too much and just pick what feels right to you and your mini. The main thing is you are ordering one.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 PM
jbkoopa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tancred
Not to muddy the waters for minidooper, but, jbkoopa, there was a PS/B MCS in that group I saw last week, and it was a knockout -- I liked it much more than the SS. The configurator does not do PS justice.
ehh.
yeah i agree. but it dont matter.
the PS/B i do see always stop time for me.
but i also strongly believe that...

EVERY MINI looks good in ANY color.
lol.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Of course I'm partial to SS/B.

I suggest looking at the MINI Australia site for more realistic views of all the various colors. IMO, the MINI USA configurator doesn't do sparkling silver justice. http://www.mini.com.au/

I saw a BMW X5 on the road recently that was similar to the MINI's SS, BMW calls it "platinum bronze". I think that's a better description than sparkling silver.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
The way I decided was to get to the dealer and see how the color felt with me in the car. I sat in a CR, LB and an SS. Hands down i felt really good in the SS. The PW was dang good feeling too, so that might be my future MINI. Go with your gut. I also wanted a color that was not seen as much so I could be a little stealth sometimes, which more matches my personality. But then again I would not say no to a CR. Like jbkoopa stated, EVERY MINI does look good in ANY color. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM
minidooper
Neutral
Thank you all

Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate your help and advice. I have finally made up my mind that I would like my first Mini to be Chili Red and hold on having the mature classy color for my next mini in 4 years ( since I'm leasing).

The CR just makes me feel happy and cheerful and I came to a conclusion that I don't care if the whole world has it ( hopefully I can come up with ways to make it unique)

I called the dealer to make the changes and since its too late, I will have to wait till November delivery now for a new one to be built- it will be worth the wait for sure.

One sad thing is that SS color will be discontinued soon and so the color will be really uniqe....ahh I don't wanna change my mind again.

Now I gotta think of a way to customize her fast, any ideas?
Thanks again guys

F.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
plus, Chili Red is FREE great choice!!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
tancred
4th Gear
What color roof? Look through the Chili Red Owners Club (CROC) thread in the General MINI Talk forum, where there are lots of pix to help you decide stuff like chrome and headliners. Also look through the Chili Red Clubman Owners, even though you're getting an MCS; the cockpit is essentially the same, and the Clubman folks have some great interior shots that can help. That's how I decided upon the rooster red/piano black interior (so much for that $500 I saved by not going with a metallic paint -- poof!) and the anthracite headliner.

I'm sure others will talk about chrome and fog lights and such, but here's a little thing I like with CR, whatever the roof color: white turn signals. To me, it just looks better with the CR than the standard orange. And they're only $100. Promise you'll post pix when your MINI arrives!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Quick customization:

1. Black out the chrome strip - quickly. Best appearance mod on the R56, IMHO, since it visually lowers the beltline. Great kits are available, or simply use Scotch 33+ electrical tape (yes, it works. No, it doesn't look bad. No, I don't know if it leaves residue when you remove it - it doesn't on my electrical connections!).

2. Wheels, my friend, wheels. Before asking which ones look best, check here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=11362

3. Some say the R56 looks like it needs the suspension dropped a bit. Consider that, but also consider the roads you're driving on, and make the right choice.

4. Bonnet stripes are popular, inexpensive, and reversible.

Before all that, take care to properly tighten the loose nut behind the wheel - take a High Performance Driving class - it's likely the best investment you'll make in your car, it's easily transferable car-to-car, it does NOT wear your car out (but then again, you have control of your speed), it doesn't void your warranty either... but the smiling will make your cheeks hurt!

Enjoy!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM
minidooper
Neutral
here is what i have so far-please advice

Oh thank you guys

Ok so far what I have is this( please tell me what you think as i have to admit its hard to picture how this will look like at the end, except for the color of course )

- Style package (chrome mirror caps, chrome line exterior, and chrome line interior)

- Wheels/rims, I left that to the standard 16 inch as I could not find a cheaper way to get better rims through the dealer :( though I really wished I could get better rims using the $500 I saved from switching to CR.

PDL ( Rear park distance control) at 500 canadian, not so sure yet if it worth it or if I will really need it.

Convince package

Comfort package

I got the standard leatherette ( carbon black)

Anthracite headliner

Interior surface in piano black

Was thininking of the Chrome Bonnet Scoop to make my MCS more different but not sure if it is worth it.

So guys, please advice if I should remove or substitute anything there to have my new MCS as unique as possible.

Thanks a lot guys..

BTW, she has to be a girlie girl car

Last edited by minidooper; 09-22-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
OK, you FORCED me to go the Canadian Configurator on this one (like that's a sacrifice or something...). HEY!! You guys get better options selections that us yanks! You can get manual climate control with your sunroof (the auto is IMHO not worth it), and the sunroof comes with seat heaters - GREAT package. I largely agree with your choices, but submit these for your consideration - keeping it "girly" - which is difficult for me, a guy:

White roof - it's classic. Maybe red, but not black (too sinister for your girly theme).

The chrome exterior is a little busy for me, but that's a matter pf preference. With the white mirror caps you can get pretty creative, even have them airbrushed, or checked, or something - for less than the chrome pack would cost. The chrome INterior, however, is classy (and I'm not a chrome-type of guy, but do have that on my MCS). Eh - it's a toss up, but if getting the non-chrome interior means affording the tuscan beige interior, then...

Maybe reconsider the Convenience (really don't need it, and the auto a/c is not that much of an improvement) and PDL (the driving school will take care of that!), and get that excellent Tuscan Beige, or Rooster Red leather! That stuff is AMAZING, and unique. The TB is a splurge but is plush... mmmmmm. Rooster Red is sporty... and even the plain-ol cloth is also a little warmer than the leatherette would be, and would free up some funding for other you-ification.

Piano Black is cool - can get fingerprinty, but really rich looking.

Your 16" choice is great, keep your eyes open and you can find other wheels for far less than what the dealer wants. 16" seems to be what the mini chassis "wants", it's well balanced that way, and a bonus is being more pothole resistant.

Anthracite headliner can make the interior look a bit dark, but that's completely up to you - certainly looks cool.

Don't forget that the aftermarket is HUGE for these cars - you'll want to save some fundage for some aftermarket purchases!

Sounds like a GREAT car!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Dude! You're supposed to decide on color before you order!

Just pullin' yer chain. I know what you're going through. Second guessing is a pain, but completely natural.

Actually, I LOVE the Sparkling Silver. It was the color of the first MINI I test drove! I thought it was sharp, and like you, thought it really stood apart from the herd. In the end, though, I thought Chili Red would serve my interests better. I know they're weed-common, but I still love that color. I have since the MINIs were "recreated" back in '01. So if I haven't tired of it by now, I doubt I ever will. And the SS does come with that $500 price tag. The metallic is sweet, to be sure, but I found ways to divert the money I saved by choosing the Chili Red; it found it's way into the chrome package and Rooster Red interior!

I say live with what you did. You ordered a perfectly beautiful color. Enjoy your uniqueness! Either way, it's a MINI. How can you go wrong?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
minidooper
Neutral
Hi..thank you so much for your help.. I kinda agree now that a chrome exterior might be too busy escpecially after switching to CR. I will drop a line to the dealer and see if I could get chrome only for the interior and for how much.

I also love the tuscan beige interior idea, I wish I could see some clear pics for it in CR mini. I will do a search for that.

I also agree that this parking distance control should go and get replaced with something more useful.

Thanks again..

Originally Posted by DixonL2
OK, you FORCED me to go the Canadian Configurator on this one (like that's a sacrifice or something...). HEY!! You guys get better options selections that us yanks! You can get manual climate control with your sunroof (the auto is IMHO not worth it), and the sunroof comes with seat heaters - GREAT package. I largely agree with your choices, but submit these for your consideration - keeping it "girly" - which is difficult for me, a guy:

White roof - it's classic. Maybe red, but not black (too sinister for your girly theme).

The chrome exterior is a little busy for me, but that's a matter pf preference. With the white mirror caps you can get pretty creative, even have them airbrushed, or checked, or something - for less than the chrome pack would cost. The chrome INterior, however, is classy (and I'm not a chrome-type of guy, but do have that on my MCS). Eh - it's a toss up, but if getting the non-chrome interior means affording the tuscan beige interior, then...

Maybe reconsider the Convenience (really don't need it, and the auto a/c is not that much of an improvement) and PDL (the driving school will take care of that!), and get that excellent Tuscan Beige, or Rooster Red leather! That stuff is AMAZING, and unique. The TB is a splurge but is plush... mmmmmm. Rooster Red is sporty... and even the plain-ol cloth is also a little warmer than the leatherette would be, and would free up some funding for other you-ification.

Piano Black is cool - can get fingerprinty, but really rich looking.

Your 16" choice is great, keep your eyes open and you can find other wheels for far less than what the dealer wants. 16" seems to be what the mini chassis "wants", it's well balanced that way, and a bonus is being more pothole resistant.

Anthracite headliner can make the interior look a bit dark, but that's completely up to you - certainly looks cool.

Don't forget that the aftermarket is HUGE for these cars - you'll want to save some fundage for some aftermarket purchases!

Sounds like a GREAT car!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
I think the chrome exterior package on CR looks sweet! Check out my gallery and my garage for reference pix.

'Course I am a little biased.

No, really. I think it ties things up nicely.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
I just now saw this thread. Very interesting. I went with BOTH! LOL!!!