1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All aboard the Western Highway! Departing Southampton October 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjrhammer
So sorry to hear that Mini Rose is MIA! Hope they find her soon.

We picked up my Clubman (no name yet) today - everything went smoothly. Posted a few quick pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/k.robert...ICooperClubman
Love the checkerboard mirrors! How do you like the ride in the Clubman?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Looks great kjrhammer.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Eoff, Belle looks great, Enjoy

Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
Whew. Duncan is home and has had a bath. Had to get all those Texas bugs off. Here's my quick take. I don't think I've ever owned quite this much car. MINI of Dallas is situated in a truly clusterf*** portion of Dallas. Getting out of there takes some skill and finesse. I punched 2nd like I would have on Mouse (04 MC) and Duncan pinned my ears back. I was slightly freaked out but laughing my butt off.

Two things I didn't know about the change from 04 to 09 models: the bonnet latch is now on the driver's side. I looked for 5 minutes. The headlights are no longer integrated into the bonnet. That was a slight disappointment.

We're having a good time getting to know one another. Pics soon.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Congrats Jen.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 AM
kjrhammer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eoff
Love the checkerboard mirrors! How do you like the ride in the Clubman?
It's great! I feel like it handles really well - getting along with the manual transmission even though it's been a while. I definitely don't regret my choice!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
At this rate, MiniRose and Lil Blue will arrive at the same time. Twins!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jenanhill
Whew. Duncan is home and has had a bath. Had to get all those Texas bugs off. Here's my quick take. I don't think I've ever owned quite this much car. MINI of Dallas is situated in a truly clusterf*** portion of Dallas. Getting out of there takes some skill and finesse. I punched 2nd like I would have on Mouse (04 MC) and Duncan pinned my ears back. I was slightly freaked out but laughing my butt off.

Two things I didn't know about the change from 04 to 09 models: the bonnet latch is now on the driver's side. I looked for 5 minutes. The headlights are no longer integrated into the bonnet. That was a slight disappointment.

We're having a good time getting to know one another. Pics soon.
Yeah, the S is super-fast. It was a lot of fun test driving it, but I knew I would get a ton of speeding tickets.

What are your plans for maintenance? Do you plan to drive to Dallas each time? MINI's seem to not need maintenance quite as often as other makes, but I am curious.

Enjoy it!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:43 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Don & Rosemary...I'm so sorry! Hopefully the system is just plain WRONG - I was never able to actually confirm that Dory was on the Western Hwy, and still wasn't sure until her status changed to 'at distribution center'. Not sure the MINI tracking system is all it's meant to be... But I'll keep thinking good thoughts, and the idea of twins is kind of nice.......?!

My pickup on Sat morning went very smoothly. I was so excited that I forgot to ask all my important questions, but so far I've been able to find everything in the vast owner's documentation. I posted some first impressions on the Week 39 list, and I put some pics in my gallery. I'll post more when (if?) the weather improves. Fall has arrived in Michigan...

Anyway, she's a blast to drive - I agree with Jen that there's a LOT of power under that innocent-looking bonnet!

Thanks to you all for being so great during this LONG wait...hope we can all stay in touch here on NAM...

Cindy

Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
Yes, I will plan to drive to Dallas. I bought DangerMouse (04) in Baton Rouge, which is a good 4 hour drive from here, and I drove there each time for a while. However, the SA was a jerk, so I tried Dallas. I love the SA there, he actually treats me like he gives a damn.

It's a great weekend trip. Museums, theatre, shopping, food. I like to GO!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
There are now a couple of pics in my gallery. He's a handsome boy!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Looks great Jen.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
At this rate, MiniRose and Lil Blue will arrive at the same time. Twins!
This is the last thing Rosemary wants to hear. She will never hear it from me.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
Never, never tell her, then. Just let her know that we all are feeling her pain.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
More notes: There is a huge difference between driving with the sport button on, and leaving it off. I really thought it was a silly thing, but the difference is fairly dramatic. With it on it is much more like driving my 04MC, which was so tight! That's what I loved about it so much! Without the sport button on in the 09 that whole thing seems mushy.

And a question for those of you who have picked up your cars - what was in your toolkit?

Old 10-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
It's me again. I climbed in the backseat - well, because you have to climb in the backseat, right? And I found a little gift. An exacto knife in the cubby hole back there. Damned good thing I don't have small children.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
After driving the S demo with the sport button on, that should be the default and turning it off should require a button.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:15 PM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
There are now a couple of pics in my gallery. He's a handsome boy!
He IS handsome...love that dark silver. And I'm envious of your leather...

I haven't had the nerve to push the sport button yet - Dory seems pretty darn tight and zippy to me without it! Can you describe the difference in any way? Or is it just something I have to experience to understand? Somehow, it has the feeling of lighting off one of those rockets you see in cartoons and adventure flicks..........

Again, congrats!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
Push it!! Live on the edge!!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
Push it!! Live on the edge!!
I don't want to speak for wurking_girl. However, I'm resisting pressing that button until after the break-in period. I'm trying to keep the RPMs low (under 4k). Am I nuts or what?

Oh, and about the knife, are you serious?!?!? That's crazy!

Can you give me more details about the toolkit question? What are you looking for specifically?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
More notes: There is a huge difference between driving with the sport button on, and leaving it off. I really thought it was a silly thing, but the difference is fairly dramatic. With it on it is much more like driving my 04MC, which was so tight! That's what I loved about it so much! Without the sport button on in the 09 that whole thing seems mushy.
What changes the most when you hit the sport button? Do you notice it more in the tighter steering, faster throttle response, etc.?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
Deadly serious about the knife. It really has bothered me.
My toolkit is basically empty. There's a screwdriver and a couple other small tools. The forms are there for other things but it is essentially empty.

You have to really push it to get over 4000 RPM's. I'm not too concerned about that. Eoff, I'm not really sure what I notice most. It all tightens up. The steering is much more responsive. The clutch is different, more what I am used to from the 2004. Because it's what I'm used to, I just feel like "Oh, that's so much better."

Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Eoff
2nd Gear
My toolkit is basically empty. There's a screwdriver and a couple other small tools. The forms are there for other things but it is essentially empty.
I think the kit is different for Coopers and Cooper Ss, because of the spare tire. Here's my tool kit:
All aboard the Western Highway! Departing Southampton October 3-toolkit.jpg

Old 10-27-2008, 07:10 AM
wurking_girl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eoff
I think the kit is different for Coopers and Cooper Ss, because of the spare tire.
I think that's true. I also have an S, Jen, and all I got was about three little tools - llots of blank spaces.

And I will do my best to work up to the sport button... However, I'm really loving my gas mileage (went from <16 mpg in my Mountaineer to >30 in Dory - I think this first tank of gas is going to last me all week! But sometime, on the open road, I'll give it a push and see what happens!

More thoughts: The weather has been crappy here and I've done all too much of my driving in rain and dark, stormy weather. I have found the wipers to be excellent (not sure what all the complaints on NAM are about - maybe they've upgraded the wiper blades lately??) and the defrosters are ultra-quick. I haven't memorized the manual yet, tho, so only just realized that you need to push the button on the end of the wiper stick to find the intermittent wipers...duh.

Also, realized the hard way that my car does NOT have auto headlights (what package did THAT come with?!) What I thought was auto is really the parking lights - again, DUH - so I was driving around in dark last night with my parking lights on! (Thank goodness for that temporary license in the rear window! It let's people know there is a noobie on board...)

At least I haven't stalled it out yet (like my hubbie has! ), though it does take me a minute to find reverse sometimes... Oh, I do love a stick shift! I've really missed it in my 'mom' cars.

Enough for now...

Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Jenanhill
3rd Gear
[quote=wurking_girl;2527057] Oh, I do love a stick shift! I've really missed it in my 'mom' cars. [quote]

Can I hear an AMEN!

Quick Reply: All aboard the Western Highway! Departing Southampton October 3