1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All Aboard the Turandot, departing 10-13-08!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if, for whatever reason, i have to order a mini again, to hell with knowing when the boat leaves or what boat its on. the wait since my mini joined the boat, has been absolutely ridiculous. i was so better off not knowing. ive been waiting since 8.13.08 and thats a cake walk compared to the moment i knew it was on a boat.

baaah! bah to this process! just wake me up when we get there!

*pops a xanex*

Old 10-25-2008, 06:16 PM
CJ727
1st Gear
I just checked the link and the boat is so close to the Panama Canal... I am so anxious to get my car.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
wongtonsup
1st Gear
I just checked the daily traffic report on the Panama Canal. It shows the Turandot arrived at the canal around 1000 10/25/08 Panama time (presumably) and is scheduled to start going through 10/26 in the AM.

http://www.boydsteamship.com/daily_traffic_report.htm

SUPER VESSELS | CUSTOMER | ARRIVE DATE | BOOKED | RATING | TRANSIT
M/V Turandot | WILINA | 1000/25/Oct | AM/26/Oct | # 3 | AM26th

However the tracking map still shows it off the coast of panama (although the information is 19 hrs old.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=SGBA

I share your feelings Dwell, but at the same time, I can't help but check.

It's a sickness we all share...

Last edited by wongtonsup; 10-25-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: table came out wrong - editing table
Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Yeah, I'm sick alright. Can't tell you how many times I've hit refresh to see the SAME info on the tracking. Why now, when it's supposed to be hitting a landmark of sorts, are we not seeing updates. My husband jokes that the Cptn must have hooked up with a few locals. I wanted to track it through the canal via the webcams but I don't think that will happen. The one good thing about when it finally does update, there should have been a lot of progress.

Bring on our MINIs!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
mr-wrong
Neutral
Ah, but the good news is that the WW cargo tracking site shows that it has left Manzanillo, Panama. Just six more days to the VDC and then I will be out of town when my MINI arrives at the dealership.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Finally the sailwx info has been updated and the Turandot is on the West side of the canal and on her homestretch voyage to CA! Yeaaaaa.

Anyone have an estimated timeline for their pickup? Someone who recently picked hers up from my dealer said that it took 5 days for hers which was particularly fast, so I figure if I estimate 8-10 days from arrival at the dock I should be good. So about two weeks from now!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopdy
Finally the sailwx info has been updated and the Turandot is on the West side of the canal and on her homestretch voyage to CA! Yeaaaaa.

Anyone have an estimated timeline for their pickup? Someone who recently picked hers up from my dealer said that it took 5 days for hers which was particularly fast, so I figure if I estimate 8-10 days from arrival at the dock I should be good. So about two weeks from now!
Im having the jcw aero put on when it gets on land, so i might be 7 to 8 days after.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 AM
mr-wrong
Neutral
I don't know how long it should take for the cars to leave the VDC, but I have heard anything from 2 - 8 days. I am estimating 5 days in the VDC and then 4 days on the way to the dealer...and I live in Southern California.

By the way, I just checked the W&W tracking site, the new date of arrival at the VDC is NOV-03.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mr-wrong
the new date of arrival at the VDC is NOV-03.
Doh, is see that! The boat that just came into the Hueneme Port (Isolde) was about 6 days late. So ours is doing much better than that and will hopefully stay on course!

I'm getting excited and getting things lined up. I have already been approved by PenFed for the loan and will call them the 1st of the month to have them send the check and I have my clear bra place picked out as well.

I can't wait for people on our boat to start posting pics of their new arrivals.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
djbphaedrus
Neutral
Turandot spotted in Panama Canal - Miraflores Locks

I know this is geeky and obsessive, but I lucked out and spotted the Turandot going through the first of the two Miraflores locks on Sunday the 26th. Watched it pull in, get lowered, and move into the second lock. Here are three re-sized screen shots. I grabbed about 30 pictures from the high-res camera while it went through. I have high-res versions if you're similarly obsessed.

Notice none of our babies are top-side. Seems the rain sent them all below decks. Notice all the Mini customers on the observation deck, just like us, checking to see if they can catch a glimpse of their baby. That's obsession.

Notice the Mini-sized golf ball mid-deck that someone left out, and the numerous skeet launches / shooting equipment around the deck. I hear they are used to launch 1/8th scale Hummer H2's for target practice.

Attached Thumbnails All Aboard the Turandot, departing 10-13-08!-pix01.jpg   All Aboard the Turandot, departing 10-13-08!-pix03.jpg   All Aboard the Turandot, departing 10-13-08!-pix04.jpg  
Old 10-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by djbphaedrus
I know this is geeky and obsessive
Welcome, you're in the right place!

I was out of town and my internet access was limited while it passed through the locks so it's nice to see that you caught photos -- makes it more real!

Thanks for the post and tell us about your MINI!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
djbphaedrus
Neutral
My Mini

Cooper S, british racing green, white roof, white bonnet stripes, premium & convenience & sport pkg, limited slip, crown spokes, hi-fi sound system for playing Ride of the Valkyries, AC/DC "I'll Drive You All Night Long" remix, and a little MC Hammer "Don't Touch that!" for my passengers.

Eagerly awaiting with racing shoes in hand....

(Thanks to Crevier Mini & Christian Banks for selling us our 2nd Mini - one is never enough!! Sorry for the smoke on the test drive!!)

Old 10-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Cooper S, british racing green, white roof, white bonnet stripes,

Ohhh beautiful! I love BRG and if the Clubman could have had a white roof I might have chosen BRG for it as I love this combo.

Welcome to NAM and welcome to the Turandot support group. We're not that far off from receiving our MINI's.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
djbphaedrus
Neutral
BRG - the only realy british color

My wife voted for BRG. Like I was going to fight it. It would have been the same as yours if I got the Clubman S. The black top was the only top and back that looked good for the Clubman, but the heat conduction is not desireable. Then I did a standard vs. clubman drive-off. The go-cart effect was noticeably different between the two. Having tuned (and raced) cars for years, I get picky...so I caved in on the need for space in exchange for fun factor of driving the closest thing to a go-cart on the street (that will keep me under 120 mph).

I just hope my car doesn't do any showboating on the trip and get in trouble. Like father like son....

Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
My wife voted for BRG. Like I was going to fight it.
No arguing that and my husband has learned this too.

The black top was the only top and back that looked good for the Clubman, but the heat conduction is not desireable.
I liked the black best as well and living in Seattle, I'll take all the heat I can get.

I just hope my car doesn't do any showboating on the trip and get in trouble. Like father like son....
I don't know...I've heard that the DS Clubbies are quite the party'ers but have trouble holding their tequilla...oh wait, that would be like Mother like daughter (or at leasting holding the tequilla part).

Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Dwell
4th Gear
As much as I hate to look, I did constantly and blame all of you for sharing such information with me. Like I could not look.

On a side note, its starting to feel very real when you apply online for financing. Woot! Pen fed!

Did someone say the boat was landing Nov 3rd? Is this confirmed?

:p opcorn:

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Oh dwell, you can't help yourself and I'm fine with being an enabler .

The W&W site has updated the arrival to Nov 3rd as listed on http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppSche...eVesselList.do
so mr-wrong is right, lol

Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 AM
chris.dg
1st Gear
Hello folks - my Clubman S is also aboard the Turandot...with eventual destination of San Jose, CA by way of East Bay Mini.

Now, just need to sell that Audi!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
mr-wrong
Neutral
Now, now now coopdy...wrong is always right. :-)

I've even ordered a personalized plate M WRONG. Alas, MRWRONG was not available where I live, but I will always have my old NC plate which is MR-WRONG.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
My COOPER is on the Turandot also! Ordered her on Sept. 11th - will never forget that date! I was hoping to pick her up at MINI of Mountain View on November 11th. Guess we'll see about that.

djbphaedrus: I love Wagner, in fact, have Brunhilde the Valkyrie tattooed on my forearm sitting upon her valiant steed. She's my heroine warrior woman.

Chris.dg: I'm in San Jose, too.

My MINI is in Oxygen Blue w/white top, white sport stripes, Xenon headlights, convenience package, Bluetooth and iPod USB adapter, Sirius radio (I hope they don't go bust during the bad economy!). She will be a sister to my 2003 Patriot Blue PT Cruiser.

I'm so glad we are all supporting the global economy by buying these cars! My friends are green with envy when I tell them about the MINI.

That's a great tracking site. I see the Turandot has reached Mexico. So glad there aren't/haven't been any hurricanes on the way!!! A friend told me he knew of someone who was having his car shipped and the cars went bye bye into the ocean on the way. Yikes!!

Linda

Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mr-wrong
Now, now now coopdy...wrong is always right. :-)

I've even ordered a personalized plate M WRONG. Alas, MRWRONG was not available where I live, but I will always have my old NC plate which is MR-WRONG.
Cool plates mr wrong. Is this your first personally installed mod? Mine is a stubby antenna (big spender). What are others doing as mods (not dealer or VDC mods). I really want driving lights.

Welcome LindaPh, looks like you've got a sweet ride with some nice options!

Looks like it's smooth sailing for the home stretch, really fun tracking it as it's now so much closer to the VDC!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 AM
LindaPD
2nd Gear
I believe the ship is to arrive this Sunday, the 2nd. However, the Oxnard plant doesn't open until Monday at 8 am, so nothing will proceed until then. From previous posts, it looks like it could take a quickly as 2 days for them to go through inspection and then wait to get loaded on a truck. If nothing else, this is good practice for patience!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LindaPD
I believe the ship is to arrive this Sunday, the 2nd. However, the Oxnard plant doesn't open until Monday at 8 am, so nothing will proceed until then. From previous posts, it looks like it could take a quickly as 2 days for them to go through inspection and then wait to get loaded on a truck. If nothing else, this is good practice for patience!
The W&W schedule updated to Nov 3rd delivery so hopefully as soon as the vessel docks the cars will jet right over to the VDC and start through the program. Just read that it's 1.3 miles from the dock to the VDC. I figure with the drive to Seattle I'm somewhere right around two weeks from being behind the wheel (hope, hope, fingers crossed), yahoooooo!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
chris.dg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Coopdy
There is no definitive answer yet and we may not know until it arrives. One ASK MINI rep said that it was only those built 9/01-9/30 (mine was built 10/01)...
Even though my clubman S was built within the later part of that timeframe, my MA claims that he can tell which of the forthcoming cars have the missing headliner. He claims mine is not impacted and will have the anthracite headliner.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
djbphaedrus
Neutral
Scheduled arrival dates at VDC

A little quick math and measurement with Google Earth and sailwx shows that Nov. 3rd will indeed be the date. It looked to be 4.5 days last night which put the boat into port on the 3rd. They got a bit delayed getting into the canal, but it looks like they are making really good time up the coast. The kids must be getting restless.

Quick Reply: All Aboard the Turandot, departing 10-13-08!