1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DO I have Leverage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Pete26
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO I have Leverage

Hello to all, this is only my second post. So, I apologize if I do not have all the lingo down correctly. I am very excited about my new MCCS order. Silver with black roof, Hi Fi stereo, premium package 17 in rims etc....Expecting arrival of my baby before end of October EXCEPT one small problem. My MA just called and said the car is on the ship except my custom order does not include the Cold Weather package even though I have been charged for it.

Based on everyones experience what leverage do I have? At the very least and since I have to place a whole new order, I would ask for and hope to get that Cold Weather Package thrown in for free. Comments, advise please

One Disappointed Soon to be owner.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete26
Hello to all, this is only my second post. So, I apologize if I do not have all the lingo down correctly. I am very excited about my new MCCS order. Silver with black roof, Hi Fi stereo, premium package 17 in rims etc....Expecting arrival of my baby before end of October EXCEPT one small problem. My MA just called and said the car is on the ship except my custom order does not include the Cold Weather package even though I have been charged for it.

Based on everyones experience what leverage do I have? At the very least and since I have to place a whole new order, I would ask for and hope to get that Cold Weather Package thrown in for free. Comments, advise please

One Disappointed Soon to be owner.
I doubt that you will get the cold weather package for free. But it never hurts to ask, worst that happens is they say "no".

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do take Delivery of the impending arrival all you can expect is that the $$ for the Cold Weather Package will be deducted from your MSRP. Too believe that if you Re-Order they will throw in the Cold Weather Package in for FREE is ludicrous!!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Can't hurt to ask. With the economy, I'm sure that even MINI sales are slowing, although Clubmans may still be in somewhat short supply.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
It's only a $500 option (or has it gone up?). Worst that happens is they say no and make a peace offering of a sooner production slot, some MINI goodies or a couple $100 off.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:35 AM
fdavid
4th Gear
Couldn't they just install it a the dealer's since you already paid for it? You don't have to pay labor, its their mistake. Keep your car, and tell them to just install the Cold Weather Package themselves and that you wont sign until is all done. It's fair and easier than ordering a new car.
BTW: I am picking up our new JCW today!!!! WOW.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 AM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fdavid
Couldn't they just install it a the dealer's since you already paid for it? You don't have to pay labor, its their mistake. Keep your car, and tell them to just install the Cold Weather Package themselves and that you wont sign until is all done. It's fair and easier than ordering a new car.
BTW: I am picking up our new JCW today!!!! WOW.
My thought exactly.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Hmmmm...not sure the dealer install would be a desirable option. This package includes heated seats and mirrors. On first thought that may sound easy but if the car is not alraedy wired for it....? Not sure I'd want anyone, even the dealer, ripping apart my dash to install wiring and switches, not to mention the seats. Would they order new seats or try to install heaters in the existing seats? Sounds like a can of worms to me.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by leicaguy
Hmmmm...not sure the dealer install would be a desirable option. This package includes heated seats and mirrors. On first thought that may sound easy but if the car is not alraedy wired for it....? Not sure I'd want anyone, even the dealer, ripping apart my dash to install wiring and switches, not to mention the seats. Would they order new seats or try to install heaters in the existing seats? Sounds like a can of worms to me.
I could be wrong but my experiance with the new american cars has been the wireing is there and its just a matter of putting the pads in the seats and chageing the mirriors and the switch panel, then flashing the computer to tell it its there. Its usually not cost effective to make more than one main wireing harness. They have experiance with the seats as the heaters do fail and have to be replaced. As for them working on the dash the dealers will do things correctly unlike the aftermarket guys.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
I could be wrong but my experiance with the new american cars has been the wireing is there and its just a matter of putting the pads in the seats and chageing the mirriors and the switch panel, then flashing the computer to tell it its there. Its usually not cost effective to make more than one main wireing harness. They have experiance with the seats as the heaters do fail and have to be replaced. As for them working on the dash the dealers will do things correctly unlike the aftermarket guys.
Oh, for sure the MAIN wiring harness is ready for any option but my question is where would the installer have to access it? IOW; is the wiring for the seat heater already run to underneth the seat? OR would wiring have to be run to an access point somewhere in the depths? Same with the mirror. Is the mirror housing already wired? OR is the "take off" from the main harness somewhere behind the dash, lets' say? I don't know but it's a question worth asking. Heated seats and mirrors are not typically dealer installed options they are options at the time of build. Also, having a dealer working on your car in no way guarantees that it won't be a a hack job.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Can't say for sure with out a print of the system but on my GM the wireing was in the door you change the whole mirrior housing the seats had a plug under them arleady The heater switch is missing but the wireing was in the door.I have worked on both versions of the car. Yea theres no guarentee but most dealers will do it right because they have access to the proper adapters and parts (usually included in the kit)and if they screw it up and things go wrong they are liable. While there not typically dealer installed items they are repaired by the dealers. Its sorta like the rear fog lights its there we just did'nt give you the switch. Want sat radio plug this box into the port on your receiever and tell the computer its there.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I would refuse delivery and make them do it over. Wanting to have my car right now would take second place to having my car right!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:39 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Pete26,

Where do you live? Do you really need the CW Package? I got it on my MINI but I live in VA. If mine had come in without it I would have accepted the car anyway just to save waiting another month. Of course, if you live in a very cold area the heated seats would be missed.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
Can't say for sure with out a print of the system but on my GM the wireing was in the door you change the whole mirrior housing the seats had a plug under them arleady The heater switch is missing but the wireing was in the door.I have worked on both versions of the car. Yea theres no guarentee but most dealers will do it right because they have access to the proper adapters and parts (usually included in the kit)and if they screw it up and things go wrong they are liable. While there not typically dealer installed items they are repaired by the dealers. Its sorta like the rear fog lights its there we just did'nt give you the switch. Want sat radio plug this box into the port on your receiever and tell the computer its there.
Yea, if it's that easy I'd surely have the dealer go ahead and install the options. But if I were the OP I'd ask the dealer just how invasive istallation would be. Just to be sure.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd re-order or go without and get the discount.

I wouldn't have the dealer do the install. And Mini may not want them to do the whole thing. It would cost lots more to do the upgrade than to build the car again. If they retrofitted the car, they'd have a huge pile of used parts on hand.. All for $300 or whatever.

Also, there is a very good chance that having them retrofit would take most of the time needed to build you a new car!

Matt

Old 10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Choices

When I ordered my 07 R56, there was a code mixup going on that confused the dealer, and I did not get cruise control on my car. I discovered this when the car was enroute. I CANCELLED that order and spec'd another car. I also changed from the gloss black dash to brushed alloy, and changed wheels to Bridge Spokes. IF that cold weather package is important to you, you need to REORDER and wait. You will own this car for a while, so just do it, or hold your grumbling forever. You don't want a dealer trying to add those electronics.
I would add that the cosmetic changes I made with the dash and the wheels made the wait all the more worth it. See my gallery. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 PM
fdavid
4th Gear
The interesting part is that Mini dealers are feeling the pinch of the economy as well. I went to pick up my new JCW today and talking to our guy he told us that sales and people walking into the dealer has really slowed down.
With that said, i feel like your dealer will pressure for you to take that ride before you change your mind, which by the way there's lots of people bailing out of their orders as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:43 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
My previous MCS did not have CW package and exGF from PA, would complain about no heated seats, being from CA I always thought CW was useless. Until, my first winter (it got down to 20 degreescold) in PA, luckily the new GP came with heated seats.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 AM
Pete26
Neutral
Thanks for your note. I live in Northern NJ and leave early in the am to get to work. The advantage of the CW is that the seats (from what I hear) warm up pretty fast. This would help get my old bones moving.....

Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 AM
Pete26
Neutral
DO I have leverage

To all,

Thanks for your comments, feedback, suggestions etc. Just got of the phone with the local dealership. Seems as though there was a mix up with my MCCS order with another persons order. Dealership told me the names were somehow reversed (yeah right). Long story short, the baby arrives in Mid November.

Editorial: Not sure I really believe them. My gut is telling me that they realized their mistake earlier this week (forgot the CW package) and then hustled around to get my re-order in.

Finally, for all you guys thinking about adding the CW package. My MA said that this can not be done once the car is thru production. Wiring must be done at the plant. Some type of problem with the airbags and wiring. THANKS AGAIN