1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time fan, first time owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Tweedi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long time fan, first time owner

Hi All,

Watching The Bourne Identity and The Italian Job I became an instant fan of the Mini. I'd been trying to get my wife to let me invest in one but never had a snowball's chance in Hawaii of getting one.

Recently, I retired from the US Air Force and moved to Hawaii (where she's from) to become a USAF contractor. My wife and kids live on a different island than I work and live on so I needed transportation. Well, my wife originally told me to get a motorcycle and I was stoked. But one day she hands me the Classifieds and lo and behold MINI's had little red circles around them. On 12 September I became the proud Daddy of an adopted MCS. It's a 2002 Liquid Yellow Mini Cooper S with personalized plates by the original owner (TWEEDI, hence the user name). It's got a Tweety theme that goes so far as to have Tweety hanging from the rear view mirror holding a "Custard" yellow Mini. They even air brushed Tweety's eyes under the hood where the headlights normally sit when the hood is closed. It only had 35k on it so I'm pretty happy with it.

I made a rookie mistake and forgot to ask the owner what octane to fill it with. So I'm getting the SES light. Bought 92 octane today (three tanks before were 87) but still had half a tank of 87 so put a little octane booster to help balance it out until it's all burned off. Looking at the sensor reader/reset tool and thinking that might be a good addition to my non-existant tools.

At any rate, if you're going to be in Hawaii, shoot me a line here and say "Aloha!"

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM!

Yes, the code reader is a great idea.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Browser_23
4th Gear
Interesting that you would say snowballs chance in Hawaii. I'm sure as you live there that you know there is snow on the big island

Congrats on the MINI. I sure love mine.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Tweedi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Browser_23
Interesting that you would say snowballs chance in Hawaii. I'm sure as you live there that you know there is snow on the big island

Congrats on the MINI. I sure love mine.
Yeah but most folks wouldn't know about that. I would have said "... chance in a volcano" but figured some one would mention any one of the volcanoes that have snow on them. Besides, just like the chance of seeing snow in Hawaii, getting a Mini wasn't TOTALLY hopeless; just mostly. It only takes the right circumstances. In the case of snow in Hawaii you just need high elevation and willingness to travel; for my Mini, I just needed to have a skill set that the Big Island had only a small need for (Computer Network Administrator) but that Oahu had a bigger need for.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
daegerter
2nd Gear
you have the 2 greatest things in life, hawaii, and a mini... jealous!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Tweedi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by daegerter
you have the 2 greatest things in life, hawaii, and a mini... jealous!
Three. Married a local girl 16 years ago and we have two kids (grouped them in with their mother as far as greatest things in life). Seeing everyone else's posts I guess I'm going to have to put the details about my car into a signature. I'm thinking I'll be making posts here quite often; I love it here!