1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh, So Sad... :'(

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:39 PM
MCLove
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, So Sad... :'(

I just recently joined this forum in August, and I am amazed by all of the information I am learning and the amount of other MINI enthusiasts there are out there besides me...but I am also amazed by the amount of people that own more than ONE MINI. Not only is that the coolest thing to me but it's depressing because for a 22 year old girl that is absolutely CRAZY IN LOVE with MINI's, and I'm not even close to being able to afford just one.
Ever since MINI's hit the market, I have wanted one. I was instantly in love when I saw one for the first time. When I was shopping for my first car, I would sit in the MINI's on the different car lots, just in awe that I was even in one. I knew better than to ask my parents for one, they definitely would never allow me to have one for a first car. My boyfriend's older sister owns an MCS, and last winter I got to go on my first actual ride in one. I don't even know how to explain excitement I felt that night. I felt like I was in England, like it almost took me to a different place. I felt so British, besides the fact that I'm totally German, and so is the car...
And ever since then I have been even more obsessed. All I think about are MINI's, what color my future MINI will be; my decision changes daily (And that is when I came up with the idea to have multiple MINI's so I wouldn't have to make a decision ), I finally told my parents about my forbidden and undying love about 6 months ago and they just don't understand me. They think the car I have now is just fine-and they can't understand my obsession. I even had the talk with them yesterday about how I loved them so much after I saw the nicest little Chili Red convertible and they just looked at me and told me that when they were my age they never had an obsession as insane as mine.
I sit and try and think of clever ways to get my way into the driver's seat of a MINI Cooper S. If I had my way-it would have happened a long time ago, but the title of my current car is in my mother's name :( so there is no possible way to go out there on a whim and do what I know I need to do. And really, I need to do it because it's making me crazy. I have tried convincing them to let me give my current car to my sister and letting her take over my payments, which she is more than willing to do, but she's reckless in cars, and my parents don't want to see her total another car. I have tried the idea of trading my car in for a new MINI or even used, and still no cigar.
To make it even more torturous on me, I live literally 3 miles from Northwest MINI in WA, so I'm always seeing people test drive brand new MINI's. Then I become even more jealous and angry because that could be me-but not for a long time and I think of how unfair it is. I can see the whole lot of the MINI dealership from I-5, and judging from my obsession, it's probably not a good thing to have it there when I'm going 70mph and I'm not even looking ahead of me, instead I'm looking at all of the colors of MINI's on the side of the freeway! I have a friend that used to work at the BMW dealership in the service department who just was transferred to the MINI dealership and he told me he could try and get me a good deal. If only I could take him up on the offer And I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like SO MANY people drive MINI's in WA, I look on craigslist for MINI's for sale and there are so many for sale there compared to Oregon. Currently I'm living in Oregon, about 15 minutes outside of Salem, and I don't see nearly as many MINI's down here compared to when I lived in WA. (Oh, and there's a girl that goes to my college that just bought one...I'm sure you can imagine what I think about her...haha no, just kidding ) There are about 4 in the area and I see them about 2-3 times a day while their owners are out motoring and I'm putting around with my boyfriend in his civic or my roommate in his Focus
(poop) and to make it that much worse there is a MCS for sale that I have to drive by everyday on my way to school and I just want to scream! It's so unfair, like someone is trying to literally torture me!
And it's a funny and somewhat long story how I ended up in Oregon, but to make a long story short, I'm going to school here because my boyfriend is playing baseball for Western Oregon University. And since I came down here to live with him while he plays, he promised to buy me a MCS when we were done with school (and rich of course) but I don't know how serious he is when he says that. And to make it even worse, my mom told me 2 days before I left for school that if I were staying in WA for school, I would have had a greater chance of getting my very own MCS. She might have been saying that just to get me to stay in WA though
But to conclude this novel of a thread, everyone on this forum that owns a MINI, you are all so lucky, and I'm sure you know it too. I am truly jealous and envious that you all get to enjoy your MINI's everyday. But I'm also happy for you too Hopefully one day I will be posting a thread telling everyone the good news about my new MINI and all the specs! But until then, I will just keep reading, learning, hoping, and admiring all of your MINI's.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now THAT's a first post...just how long have you been holding in these emotions my dear? Tell Dr. Gil all about it...

You've obviously got it bad. So, the good news is that you've come to the right place. Many NAM folk have walked in your shoes and emerged from their previous despair and longing into utter happiness. Some day you too will fulfill your MINI destiny.

We're here to help!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Now THAT's a first post...just how long have you been holding in these emotions my dear? Tell Dr. Gil all about it...

You've obviously got it bad. So, the good news is that you've come to the right place. Many NAM folk have walked in your shoes and emerged from their previous despair and longing into utter happiness. Some day you too will fulfill your MINI destiny.

We're here to help!
+1

Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MCLove
Hopefully one day I will be posting a thread telling everyone the good news about my new MINI and all the specs!
We will eagerly await that day.....but until then you, as a true MINI enthusiast (if there ever was one) are most welcome 'round these parts.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:02 PM
proximal
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be patient! Anticipation has its fun. Plus, you will enjoy the car much more when you don't have to worry about school or scrape by to make the payments.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Great great reason to go to college, get a good job and become able to buy your own things. Hope Obama leaves you enough paycheck to do so. Yes, yes, I know. Hope the Republicans let enough trickle down. (Is that even-handed enough for a thread in this section?)

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 kind of. Get through school first and save your money up. Then after you get that good job you can think about getting one with a decent down payment that you saved. And after you're enjoying that, and that job becomes more secure and long term, then get a second MINI. At least you have a goal established. Now go work for it. And it will come.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Apple
6th Gear
You will get one, I wanted one forever I bought my son one and he let me drive it once... his has been gone awhile and mine is also gone, but will get another somday, I still have his big brother my BMW

Old 11-02-2008, 05:16 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that certainly was a whopper of a first post!

I'm insane about MINIs as well - just ask anybody who's known me for more than 5 minutes. But I have a short-term solution for you....First, look up your local MINI motoring club; they might take pity on you and at least let you ride along with them. Next, look up rental agencies that actually rent MINIs near the big events - like MINIs on the Dragon (or MOTD) on the east coast in the spring...and then plan your calendar accordingly!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great post! Good luck with your quest to own a MINI. In the meantime I'd apply for a Zipcar membership at http://www.zipcar.com . They have MINI hatchbacks and Cabrios available for rent by the hour or up to four days.No contracts just scan your card on the window and motor!

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 11-02-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
A car is one of the worst investments you can make(unless we're talking about classics), since it's an ever-depreciating asset. In addition, if you're making payments, you're double-paying in both interests on the loan and percentage of depreciation.

What does this all mean? Since you need to make this bad investment anyways(transport reasons), might as well get one with the least depreciating option AND the one you want. You're 22, you can get one if you want it bad enough.

Could this be the worst advice ever? Sure, so could "saving up your money" and then dying tomorrow. :P

Old 11-02-2008, 06:13 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Wow, great first post . Hang in there and you will have your dream car one day soon! I like the advice of joining your local MINI club. Maybe you can ask one of the club members to let you drive theirs.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
At first I thought your (OP's) handle was McLovin.
You could post in the forum section of PSMINI.org (it's a Pudget Sound MINI club), and I'm sure someone would be more than happy to take you as a passenger on one of their driving events, or even let you drive their MINI.
I agree there seems to be a lot of MINI in WA, at least around the Pudget Sound area.

Last edited by rippymcs; 11-02-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Out of school I drove MINI zipcars prior to owning a car and it was then that I knew my first had to be a MINI. I supposed I could have had a beater but I decided to wait and save. I went through the same emotions and spent endless hours on the configurator. Be appreciative of what you have (I never had a car until I was 23 and simply biked everywhere and took public transportation which limited my opportunities.) With hard work you will earn the opportunity to buy a MINI. I'm on my second MINI, both used, and for me my dream is to someday configure, build and purchase a new one. There's always another dream, something else to wish for. And in the meantime we'll look forward to your first MINI pictures post.

Oh, and thanks, because your post did rekindle some of those forgotten first-MINI feelings...I think being on my second MINI I sometimes take it for granted.