1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MCS Driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Vaevictus
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MCS Driver

Greetings all!

My *wife's* MCS was born october 4th, 2008, and we just received it on the 24th. (now i want my own!) Ordered 2008/8/27, scheduled 2008/9/8, started production 2008/9/27.

What a machine. 5 star across the boards with a very few exceptions.

I moved the bluetooth mic a few days ago, that was easy, simple, and effective.

My only complaints are that the paddles work differently than I'd like, and that the non-sport mode acceleration from a stop is delayed. Granted both of these complaints are minor and even understandable as to why they're that way. Still, I'm very impressed. I may even continue to try and talk the wife into taking her MCS to SCCA.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
Congrats and Welcome from North Carolina. The paddles do not work like most others but the concept of being to shift up or down from the same paddle will help when in heavy turns.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:51 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Yeah, the paddles take some getting used to. I still prefer to use the shift level to change gears though. As for the slight lag in shifting in non-sport mode, yeah, some people like me noticed that, too, and tend to use sport mode all the time. One way to change that if it bothers you so much would be to install the stage 1 JCW kit which will change the non sport mode shift points to something most seem to feel emulates the sport mode shift points better.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 AM
RoadTrip2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Vaevictus
Greetings all!

My *wife's* MCS was born october 4th, 2008, and we just received it on the 24th. (now i want my own!) Ordered 2008/8/27, scheduled 2008/9/8, started production 2008/9/27.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know what you mean about wanting your own... My wife has had her new MCS for about 6 weeks and I love driving it when I get the chance - mostly on weekends. I am in the process of selling my '92 Corvette so I can order one.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
lovethecorners
4th Gear
Congrats and I hope your wife lets you enjoy it just as much as her!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Vaevictus
Neutral
Originally Posted by Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
Congrats and Welcome from North Carolina. The paddles do not work like most others but the concept of being to shift up or down from the same paddle will help when in heavy turns.
Yeah... except if i'm having a turn where i need to shift down, i probably need to grip the wheel with both hands, and thus, both thumbs. My index/ring fingers on either side would be better, imho, than requiring me to thumb off the wheel, even if it's just temporarily. maybe i'll disassemble the wheel on mine and reroute the wires. (if i get one. )

Too bad, since it's just 4 switches that it couldn't be configured in software somehow.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Vaevictus
Neutral
Originally Posted by darmog
Yeah, the paddles take some getting used to. I still prefer to use the shift level to change gears though. As for the slight lag in shifting in non-sport mode, yeah, some people like me noticed that, too, and tend to use sport mode all the time. One way to change that if it bothers you so much would be to install the stage 1 JCW kit which will change the non sport mode shift points to something most seem to feel emulates the sport mode shift points better.
Yeah... I'd drive in sport mode all the time. All the time my wife's not in the car. She already complains about the engine not coasting when cruising in sport mode, as a passenger, and doesn't like the way i drive anyway. So my habits change quite a bit

which JCW kit is that?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 AM
redevil
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet, we just go ours last week and I had to drive through the BC/AB mountains to bring her home. Still getting use to how the car drives and reacts.

What options did you get on yours?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Vaevictus
Neutral
Metallic British Racing Green, metallic interior, steptronic auto, 16" alloy bridge spoke, roof/mirror caps in black, center armrest, bluetooth/ipod, and premium package

Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Greetings all!

I may even continue to try and talk the wife into taking her MCS to SCCA.
Sounds like your "wife" is enjoying her MINI a whole lot! Has she actually driven the car yet ?

Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 PM
swflaboy
4th Gear
Congrats and welcome to NAM!

Thought you might be interested in this thread on a fairly easy mod that will have the sport button always on (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=103258)
Thinking about doing it myself.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
GolfNut
2nd Gear
Greetings all!

What a machine. 5 star across the boards with a very few exceptions.

I moved the bluetooth mic a few days ago, that was easy, simple, and effective.

My only complaints are that the paddles work differently than I'd like, and that the non-sport mode acceleration from a stop is delayed. Granted both of these complaints are minor and even understandable as to why they're that way. Still, I'm very impressed. I may even continue to try and talk the wife into taking her MCS to SCCA.
Congrats on your (wife's) new Mini! That's great.

Originally Posted by RoadTrip2
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know what you mean about wanting your own... My wife has had her new MCS for about 6 weeks and I love driving it when I get the chance - mostly on weekends. I am in the process of selling my '92 Corvette so I can order one.

That's funny, I am on the other side of this talk. I have noticed lately that more and more, the Mini seems to just mysteriously disappear. My Mini has become our Mini and if I don't watch it, it will soon become her Mini. Actually, it is the first car that I have had that she actually likes to drive and I think that's great! Truthfully, I think we will end up getting her one soon. It's just a matter of time.